forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
makemecool123
senpai
Shiningbolt
For anyone who has trouble with stamina in general and uses keyboard for inputs:

Try hitting the keys more softly. Don't let the hype of the song, the length/speed of the jumps, or anything else make you mash your keys.

No, really. I've been mashing keys too hard since I started and only noticed when I played without my headphones on. As soon as I tried hitting keys more softly two days ago, the entire osu! standard got easier for me. I used to think something was wrong with me. Even after spending weeks trying to improve my stamina and get through faster streams, it barely improved. I would also get tired in the middle of a map with streams no matter what the BPM was. I thought it was just the beatmap, but it was really me and mashing harder than I had to was the reason why. If you're the mashing type, break the habit. It will help you more than you could possibly imagine.
Barusamikosu

Shiningbolt wrote:

Try hitting the keys more softly.
Can confirm it helped my stream stamina.
Yuudachi-kun
Can confirm that it doesn't help my stream stamina and just streaming more does.
Barusamikosu
My fingers were locking up from tensing too much, but yeah playmore xd
Yuudachi-kun
You're supposed to tense your arm not your hand
Barusamikosu

Khelly wrote:

I know that now but didn't know that back then. :D
Shiningbolt

Khelly wrote:

Can confirm that it doesn't help my stream stamina and just streaming more does.
Then you probably don't mash, or if you do, not very hard. Streaming more didn't help me NEARLY as much as hitting keys softly. In fact, because of my habit, it meant I had to take breaks for a few days to recover each time. It didn't work. My habit was just that bad.

Yes, you can get better by "playing more", but putting thought into why you have problems, figuring out why, and fixing it as you play is much better.

Another thing is I said this helped with stamina in general, not with streams specifically.
Deva
Hitting keys more softly doesnt improve your stamina, it just makes it look like that because you use less force and like that you can stream faster/longer.

ONLY way to improve at streaming, be it accuracy, speed, stamina or whatever is to play more streams. Anyone who says otherwise is just making excuses for wanting to get better without playing.

Khelly wrote:

Relax both and notice how much easier streaming gets.
Yuudachi-kun
Come back when you try to do that at 270 bpm.
Deva
Why would i even want to stream 270?
Yuudachi-kun

HK_ wrote:

Why would i even want to stream 270?
Because that's what I'm talking about with having to tense your arm.
Deva
Or just learn HR and stop worrying about bpm?
Yuudachi-kun

HK_ wrote:

I have one HR fc I'm good.
otoed1

HK_ wrote:

Nuuu Nomod only. (I'm a hypocrite with my "amazing" dt plays)
-Atri-
Can i improve my accuracy without playing taiko? :D

Cuz i don't have a drum at home and i am bad at alternating in both hands
PatZar
lol i play taiko,
taiko is hard bye
Surono

PatZar wrote:

lol i play taiko,
taiko is hard bye
:^( ur nub patkay
blooming tea
Taiko pls
Elric
what if I play mouse only
Endaris
Play more, outside of device-specific issues/techniques nothing changes.
Insyni

Endaris wrote:

Play more, outside of device-specific issues/techniques nothing changes.
Playing more never seems to work.

Edit: 666th post on thread, yay!
SuzumiyaBR
Fun = Solution best
ivan
x
Sotodashi

Ivan wrote:

i suk so bad not even god can save me
GOD
IS
DEAD

SPOILER
and so are my streaming skills
[Tokisaki]
6/10 i still suck at streaming
skrungly
Just a word of advice; Don't bother practising 220BPM if you can last even 5 seconds on 160BPM. Stamina is an amazing thing.
CM2

kingdom5500 wrote:

Just a word of advice; Don't bother practising 220BPM if you can last even 5 seconds on 160BPM. Stamina is an amazing thing.
Teach me
skrungly

CM2 wrote:

Teach me
I never said I could do it ;P
Yuudachi-kun

kingdom5500 wrote:

CM2 wrote:

Teach me
I never said I could do it ;P

I can
Mahogany
I can too (barely)
Hyde
Six years have passed and i am still sucking hard at this game.(even with a bunch of useful improvement tips) There is no way for me to improve. Casual 4ever. :|

p.s

but anyways kudos for nice thread. i wish there was something like this gem back in 2010.

p.s2

is it normal that approaching circles seems distracting to me and i had to play with hidden all the time? it became kinda easier to play some maps with lots of notes yeah, but such thing never happened to me before.{and i used to play with hidden pretty often) am i going insane?
SilviA syndrome?
Yuudachi-kun
You hardly ever played from August 2012 to February 2015 so delete 3 years from saying "six"
Sotodashi
It's like I'm getting worse and worse at spinning the more I try.
Ashton

jesus1412 wrote:

thelewa wrote:

Add this to accuracy as an easy way to practice: If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
added, thanks baby cakes.
sweet guide thx jesse
Hyde

Khelly wrote:

You hardly ever played from August 2012 to February 2015 so delete 3 years from saying "six"
Mostly played offline at the time.(switched to tablet and switched hands as well and was trying to get to the level of skill I achieved with mouse, still struggling with that task lol. probably main reason behind my problem with this game is that I stopped improving since switched to tablet. and zero stamina ofc) And btw 3 years more than enough to become decent player(for most people here) and even more than decent.(but not in my case apparently)
Mamat
Actually the only key to be improve at osu is Practice a lot and challenge yourself. For CtB, only use dash when necessary or even in red fruit you have to control the catcher where he gonna teleport, also learn some usual pattern in ctb and know the mapper style. Spectactor's map your catcher gonna "swing" all over the time and it's full of red fruits, while JBHyperion's is in the other way, you have to be aware of non red fruits jump because you have to deal with a repetitive pattern or square in osu STD mode. Mazzerin's .... yah well just hold your dash until you fc that.
I have one clue if you use left shift button and keep annoy because sticky keys you can change that in Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use. Just turn uncheck the sticky keys. Also sometimes you can change the your key binding to improve your gameplay, also set your graphic in recommended setting.
So if you well enough to play ctb without mod, try one mod, I recommend you to play with Sudden Death mod first, and then the most common mod in CtB (Hard Diff++) is Hidden, and if you feel the song is too slow, use Double time mod. When you get well enough with Hidden or Double Time, try them both. And go try Hard Rock mod I know this one kinda hard because it elevate the Approach Rate, Overall Difficulty, Circle Size(Fruit Size) after that try to combine it with Hidden. The hardest mod in Ctb is Flashlight. Flashlight mode only playable in maximum Approach Rate=8.4 and after that only E.T or Alien can FC with that mod even with HR (True Story).
The last thing that I want to say is have your own skin or find a skin that you feel fit the most. Go stalk some pros in CtB some of them are generous, they share their own skin(Or their mix skin). If you really want to full combo a hard map (In CtB Difficulty) dim the background to 100% or if you just want to play for fun, just make sure the safest dim is in 30% (The lowest one). 0% Dim is not recommend because it very bright(even brighter with shadder) and can make your eyes hurt.
That's all I want to say, thank you for your atenttion
Mahogany

willia02 wrote:

Actually the only key to be improve at osu is Practice a lot and challenge yourself.
cool but that's wrong tbh

I mean you won't improve without any practice but you can learn and discover things that make you better without intensive practice or challenging yourself
AvaYert
I have no idea if this is a good place to ask, but here it goes.

I'm a relatively new player. I started a while back but just because a friend told me to. Then I took a long break and now I'm back because I realized how much I like this game. But I've been having problems with multiple notes before/after a slider (I noticed it playing Pendulum - Vulture on hard difficulty). How do I know how many times I have to press before/after I have to hold the key. It really throws me off. I know the key to everything in Osu! is practice practice practice, but how do I practice something I have no idea how to do. Any sort of help is really appreciated, thank you!
Mamat

TildeBeta wrote:

I have no idea if this is a good place to ask, but here it goes.

I'm a relatively new player. I started a while back but just because a friend told me to. Then I took a long break and now I'm back because I realized how much I like this game. But I've been having problems with multiple notes before/after a slider (I noticed it playing Pendulum - Vulture on hard difficulty). How do I know how many times I have to press before/after I have to hold the key. It really throws me off. I know the key to everything in Osu! is practice practice practice, but how do I practice something I have no idea how to do. Any sort of help is really appreciated, thank you!
maybe with the clear approach circle (just like doomsday's skin) and bigger combo number can help, but actually you can predict it by feel the rhythm. :)
show more