forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
TrinitehFoarse
My problem is, HOW DO I GET THE DARN IIDX MAPS?!?!?! THEY'RE TOO HARD!
Tristan97

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

You'll have to play a lot more than 19 autoconverts to be be successful at IIDX maps.

Play mania specific beatmaps, play easier 7 key difficulties, play lots of them and work your way up.
Redon
TrinitehFoarse

Tristan97 wrote:

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

You'll have to play a lot more than 19 autoconverts to be be successful at IIDX maps.

Play mania specific beatmaps, play easier 7 key difficulties, play lots of them and work your way up.
My finger indepence doesn't allow me to. (sorry for saying it out of the blue)

Redon wrote:

Un0fficial wrote:

So, i have appeared to hit a wall. I can pass some very high two star maps, but when ever it has those fast patterns that have two notes at once, i lode it. Like when it goes like, middle left, two keys on the left, outside right, both outside keys. That completely throws me off. Is this completely normal, and is there a way to practice it effectively?

play more
play different maps that have slower/simpler versions of the patterns you're struggling with
also play 7K

Also, how do i get the track in the middle of the screen? What file in the .ini do i change?
In the skin.ini file, under [Mania], the value for ColumnStart tells the game how big the gap between the left edge of the window and the first column should be.
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skin.ini
Yooh - Legend has some okay patterns on the easiest diff.

Tristan97 wrote:

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

Can you give me a easy 7K map?
dennischan
How to pass streams?

I'm really bad at streams and my friend gave me the https://osu.ppy.sh/s/147745 Candy Galy map.
The 4k HD is really brutal with almost unreadable 1/4 notes, but it's only 3.00 stars and only HD.
My friend told me to play a lot of those, but I cant even pass the HD.

I can play those chord thingies at about star rating 3.5-3.7, but I get destroyed by the 1/4 short notes.

What should I do to improve streams~~

EDIT: I play both 4k and 7k
edisk

dennischan wrote:

How to pass streams?

I can play those chord thingies at about star rating 3.5-3.7, but I get destroyed by the 1/4 short notes.

What should I do to improve streams~~

EDIT: I play both 4k and 7k
Play more. If you get destroyed by streams from a certain star rating, play streams with slightly lower star ratings till you are able to hit most of them.
Fortunape
''Time to move on to the real rhythm games cause you're a big boy now ;)'' Which real rhythm games?
Selegiline

Fortunape wrote:

''Time to move on to the real rhythm games cause you're a big boy now ;)'' Which real rhythm games?
Learn to play real drums.

btw This guide is great.
Jinjin

Fortunape wrote:

It's a sarcastic remark by him because osu mania doesn't offer a lot of high difficulty charts. He's considering osu!mania to be a 'baby's rhythm game', so to say. The 'real rhythm games' that he's referring to would be vsrgs like o2jam and lr2.
gintoki147
Is there an active 7/8k platform besides LR2?
O2Jam is fun, but its client is way too outdated and crappy.
Todestrieb
LR2 is still active, the BOFU is happening right now, It's more than thousands new songs. But yeah, there isn't any other game except some in dev. http://manbow.nothing.sh/event/event.cgi?action=List_def&event=104
PyaKura
He didn't say it is inactive though.

o2jam might be old school and crappy client-wise but as long as it is fun, who cares?

Let's see, I know agka's developing raindrop but afaik it's still pretty unfinished. Works though. You might wanna check out Malody, but I wouldn't really recommend it...
gintoki147
Do you have any o2jam server to recommend?
I tried to play o2jamv3, but I didn't like it at all. D:

@Edit
Actually, forget it. I like it now. lol
Bobbias
http://vsrg.club has a server
EtienneXC
Stepmania
Shoegazer

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
We should really make that 4K improvement guide soon.
Bobbias

Shoegazer wrote:

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
Yes you should.
EtienneXC

Shoegazer wrote:

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
Maybe on Ssturday, we can get something going with that.
Shimomura
i have a new problem now.I'm having a hard time improving from 4* beatmap to 5* beatmap.Any tips?
ARCskieZ
Not a 4k player, but I improved to the next difficulty via analyzing what is my most common problem in harder maps/maps in the difficulty I play atm. and try to get better at what gives me a hard time.
For example: layered LN's are a huge problem for me, so I played only maps with these patterns in them to get better at them.
Another tip would be: play harder maps on halftime and try to get high acc. and try to learn new or hard patterns.
If you play them map on normal speed later you'll have an easier time to play these patterns.
Last tip: play old maps and try to get higher acc. and combo.
I saw alot of your scores are A's. Try to get S ranks and maybe 97%acc plus.
It seems you're not ready to progress in harder difficulty when your baseskill on an easier difficulty is lacking.
Hope that helps somewhat.
Cheers
Shimomura

ARCskieZ wrote:

Not a 4k player, but I improved to the next difficulty via analyzing what is my most common problem in harder maps/maps in the difficulty I play atm. and try to get better at what gives me a hard time.
For example: layered LN's are a huge problem for me, so I played only maps with these patterns in them to get better at them.
Another tip would be: play harder maps on halftime and try to get high acc. and try to learn new or hard patterns.
If you play them map on normal speed later you'll have an easier time to play these patterns.
Last tip: play old maps and try to get higher acc. and combo.
I saw alot of your scores are A's. Try to get S ranks and maybe 97%acc plus.
It seems you're not ready to progress in harder difficulty when your baseskill on an easier difficulty is lacking.
Hope that helps somewhat.
Cheers
i see, well i do rushing too much to play harder song so i didn't really pay much attention on my accuracy.I will try to improve it first while i play harder maps on halftime.Thx btw
zhrio
Is it a good idea to bind keys to DFJKL in 5k, for example, or should i keep the default layout with space in it?
Bobbias
It's entirely up to you. In 5k that kind of layout doesn't have much disadvantage over a spacebar based layout. However, if you plan on learning 7k later, it might be a good idea to stick with the spacebar. It's certainly possible to be good at 7k using something like sdfghjk, but that layout requires a pinkie on one of your hands, and pinkies are much weaker than your other fingers, which puts you at a disadvantage.

In any case, it's totally up to you. There's no 'right' way to play mania.
Begoul
Hello , as it is recommended I try to keep my eyes on the midle of the screen . But they go down all the time especially when there are LN , stairs or a hight density for me . How could I train that ?
Thanks
Todestrieb
You should just keep playing, with time you will do this a lot less. It's normal when you start. ;)
Bobbias

Begoul wrote:

Hello , as it is recommended I try to keep my eyes on the midle of the screen . But they go down all the time especially when there are LN , stairs or a hight density for me . How could I train that ?
Thanks

I personally found that playing with hidden helped me stop doing that. But while I could keep my eyes in place with hidden, the habit of looking lower would still come back a bit when playing without it.
PyaKura

Todestrieb wrote:

You should just keep playing, with time you will do this a lot less. It's normal when you start. ;)
Begoul : Basically this. It is still too soon to draw any conclusions on your current playstyle since you have been playing for a few days at most. The way you read notes (and how you position yourself to play, hands and body, and a lot more) is most likely to improve as you keep playing. You can perhaps fiddle with the scrolling speed, and if you haven't done it yet, remember to use "Fixed BPM" scrolling speed and not the BPM-scaling one in the options (Just type "BPM" in the Options, you'll get what you are looking for.)
Begoul
Thank you all for the rapid answer . I use "Fixed BPM" only since 3 days I discover it , atm I set it to 17 but I will try to increase this value step by step .
Thanks
fug
Oh god I've been playing for a year and only just realised I'm not meant to follow the notes down. Played today focusing on fixing my eyes in the middle and destroyed a lot of my old scores due to being able to keep up with patterns better 8-)
L0ts0b0ts
I understand that you want to help people with this post, but my problem is that i dont know all of the keys to press. So if you could help me than that would be great! :D
L0ts0b0ts
Oh I just played E-Pro by Beck, and i didnt realize it shows the keys to press... lol :) i have a recording of it and heres the link to it on YouTube.
(its not done editing yet so it will be posted as an edit. right now its 6:15 AM and when its done ill say the time again.)
L0ts0b0ts
Ok the video is done at 6:30 AM so heres the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAgvgGy6X8
bilzi21
>:(
[nano]Shiroe
i don't understand how can i read burst better, i got an A on space time 7k and 4k but. i just got lucky that time lol.
ChrisGrinder
Thanks ! helped me alot
CelerenTheWolf
I've been at osu!mania for a while and I've hit a major wall due to the speed and I just cannot read fast enough, I usually do 1- 2.3 stars at 21 scroll speed but I can't do any more. One map that shows the gap is "time to air" on KK's 4K hyper difficulty. It's such a jump from previous speeds so I can't read it and I have tried every speed from 9 (too close together to read) up to 19 (much too fast for the difficulty).
The fastest I can go is Water Horizon on 4k basic. Any tips for improving on speed and anything that can bridge this huge gap in speed?
PyaKura
I am not exactly sure what you are asking for.

Do you mean that the song is simply too fast for you and the gap between notes is too narrow that even at a speed you're comfy with you cannot hit them? If so you should just play more and build up speed.

Or do you mean that you can't seem to find the right speed for you on this specific map? You're probably not using fixed scrolling speed. Go into the options, search for "bpm" and (un)tick the only setting that appears.
CelerenTheWolf
What I meant is the speed difference between <2.5 to 2.5+ is just such a big leap and I can't find any middle ground at all. I already set my scroll speed and it's currently 21 for 4k and 17 for 7k.
PyaKura
Star rating is not an accurate representation of actual difficulty, and has got nothing to do with the speed of a song. The best advice I could give you is trying to find slower songs that are still outside of your comfort zone, and try to climb up from there.
Aqo
play slower scroll speed, seriously. you won't learn new patterns from high scroll speed and 21/17 is waaaay too fast for the level of charts you're playing.

try playing 7k with 10 scroll speed for a while. you'll see a lot of improvement after a week of playing.
show more