forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
EtienneXC

osuskrub wrote:

Teams to watch out for (a lot of ifs) (These are the Juggernauts)
Poland: Poland has always shown strong with their performance in OWC, last years team was good to get to 2nd place. WWW was most obviously their star player. This year, IF Rafis joins team Poland, Poland will be a force to be reckoned with. Rafis has proved this year that he is one of the best players in osu!standard in 2015. Him combined with WWW is a dream to some polska fans. The other considerations for the other 2 main slots is AmaiHachimitsu (who performed very well last year) and fartonwik. The other players that can sub in will probably be listless and Wilchq. With this team, Poland could finally take a world cup.
Japan: Japan has proved to never fail with their amount of skill. Last year they took 1st place against Poland. This year it's going to be somewhat different for Japan. The original team (Guy, Mercurius, rrtyui, Potofu, Poruteri, Sinch, and serea) is probably going to have to exclude and make some changes. Depending on the new map pool, which I hope is going to be harder, some might not be as skilled as some newcomers to play these maps. In my honest opinion, Recia will be a BIG pick for Japan, he's a very consistent player that can do a LOT of HDHR plays. My next pick for Japan would be moca. moca is a very consistent nomod player, he's very good for nomod consistency and it fits in with the new scoring system that favors accuracy more than combo. My next 2 picks will obviously be Mercurius and Guy, they are the cornerstone of the Japan team and can always be the star player or the backup to the star player, they never seem to fail Japan. IF rrtyui decides he wants to play in the OWC BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the competition will be amazing. rrtyui has proven time and time again that he is one of the best players in osu!standard, amazing consistency, and can do anything. If rrtyui is not going to be in the OWC, then serea and Potofu are going to be my picks.

Teams that are questionable:

Germany: There is an uprising of new players in Germany, but I don't think they have what it takes to really go against the skilled players, Cookeasy and Dustice are your best bets.
Taiwan: Taiwan has proven to be skilled, but hvick is the only amazing player compared to the top players, I don't think Taiwan won't get past Round of 8 at most.
UK: UK has some amazing players, Crai, Doomsday, and Tasty Beverage, and possibly jesus1412 are what represent the UK. I've seen Doomsday prove that he is a player to watch out for this year but the team as a whole will probably get out of group stages, but in terms of beating the titans, not a chance.
South Korea: This will probably piss a lot of people off, but South Korea will probably not get too far in Knockout Rounds. Angelism and Hakurei Reimu haven't been on top of everything lately, plus without My Aim Sucks and sayonara-bye :(. South Korea has kind of lost it.
Edit: There's so many countries that this post would be too long.

>No U.S. team.

lol
buny
Sliders are pretty rough for scorev2, is this subject to change or are tournament managers adamant on this? It seems a bit weird to change gameplay just before a tournament, and most maps are mapped without slider accuracy in mind (kick sliders are insane to play)
fartownik

plaatinum wrote:

If you want to enable score v2 for the tournament, please either disable the slider accuracy hit window or enable it for non-supporter use so we can practice it. Its a huge change coming into the tournament and people want to be fully prepared for it.
Yes.

buny wrote:

Sliders are pretty rough for scorev2, is this subject to change or are tournament managers adamant on this? It seems a bit weird to change gameplay just before a tournament, and most maps are mapped without slider accuracy in mind (kick sliders are insane to play)
And yes.
Kert
There shouldn't be so many kickslider populated maps in the first place that are spammed
/me runs
Topic Starter
Loctav
Please take note: t/375428
Bachia
This is Second OWC I will be watching... GO GO POLAND!
[ yogurt ]
I really can see USA take the top3 finish this year, iirc AmaiHachimitsu said he won't play so that's a blow to us.

Japan without Recia, Guy and zeluaR is doomed to fall off the podium and Chinese players look really strong lately (looking at you, team SPD).

I'm calling the top 3 being Poland, China and USA this year. Sorry Korea, but you're not good enough in 2015.
CXu
Just for people making predictions:
Single player skills =/= tournament performance.
Te Amo

CXu wrote:

Single player skills =/= tournament performance.
juankristal
I want to see how Brazil does.
LoGo
????

And still completely 0 information, how do even know who registered from our country? (And argument the ones who want to play will register is not the most correct...) 3rd time asking about this and 0 response...
Minhtam

LoGo wrote:

And still completely 0 information, how do even know who registered from our country? (And argument the ones who want to play will register is not the most correct...) 3rd time asking about this and 0 response...
Take it with a grain of salt, since I'm not on tournament staff, but you don't. If you are qualified to register, you simply register. That's all.

After October 18, the following procedures happen:

• 1. Any player who violated the osu! community rules within the last 12 months is OUT.
    2. Any player ranked outside the top 5000 is OUT.
    3. The players that are left are then divided into groups based on their countries.
    4. If any country has less than 4 players registered, they are OUT.
    5. If a country has about 6-8 players registered, the teams for those countries are formed automatically.
    6. If any country has more than 8 players registered, Tournament staff will declare one temporary captain for that country, and will give the list of potential candidates to the chosen captain. It would then be up to the captains to talk to the players on those lists to form teams for their countries.
    7. If more than 32 countries satisfy the above conditions, a statistical system will determine the top 32 countries. The rest will be filtered.
Topic Starter
Loctav

Minhtam wrote:

LoGo wrote:

Take it with a grain of salt, since I'm not on tournament staff, but you don't. If you are qualified to register, you simply register. That's all.

After October 18, the following procedures happen:

• 1. Any player who violated the osu! community rules within the last 12 months is OUT.
    2. Any player ranked outside the top 5000 is OUT.
    3. The players that are left are then divided into groups based on their countries.
    4. If any country has less than 4 players registered, they are OUT.
    5. If a country has about 6-8 players registered, the teams for those countries are formed automatically.
    6. If any country has more than 8 players registered, Tournament staff will declare one temporary captain for that country, and will give the list of potential candidates to the chosen captain. It would then be up to the captains to talk to the players on those lists to form teams for their countries.
    7. If more than 32 countries satisfy the above conditions, a statistical system will determine the top 32 countries. The rest will be filtered.
I couldn't describe it more accurate. Everyone willing to participate, shall register. Teams get formed post registration phase. Whoever did not press "Sign me up" until the 18. October 2015 will not be able to join or participate at any point.
LoGo
And what if not enough players registered? Some may not be available at the moment? And if no one has contacts, what then ? We don't know who got accepted who didn't, how can we know how to react? Maybe we don't need to find anyone, but maybe we do ? ??
Maybe if we had our own channel at least some kind of communication would appear, i don't find it reasonable to contact every -5k player in our country just because i don't know who got accepted and who didn't...
Topic Starter
Loctav
Bad luck? Find them now. make them sign up now. better safe than sorry, huh?
LoGo

Loctav wrote:

Bad luck? Find them now. make them sign up now. better safe than sorry, huh?
But maybe it's not required ? Why bother people if it's not required? Maybe they have plans, i'll need to disturb someone, make them cancel something because i have no idea if i even play ?
Yeah, and then "play with non-existant team" because no one will apear... and make additional issues for streaming/match schedulers etc...
Topic Starter
Loctav
that's up to your own dedication to decide, I guess. I won't force anyone to play or to sign up. If your country is unable to make enough people sign up, then your slot will be given to an equally strong country that managed to find enough people.

I don't see how you need to know who joins or not in advance. There are either people that want to play or not want to play. The entire team creation process just got moved to the time AFTER registrations, not BEFORE. The rest is exact the same.
LoGo
Last year we had a really good situation when half of the team got disqualified and 2 of the players were "breaking" rules ( even had proof of what and why it was like that ), but of course teams were already formed and no one really cared after...
Topic Starter
Loctav
If they stopped violating the rules, they can happily participate. Also you were asked for providing substitutes.
Now, you can already provide 500 substitutes (exaggerated number) without worrying too much that your team will entirely be disbanded.
LoGo
Apparently traveling and staying at friends house is violating rules but oh well, it seems quality has improved..., won't even try to bother anymore.
I could give you an easy example, why do you need to know which teams will play on the OWC before streaming them? Just stream when players are ready, any time, any country
Topic Starter
Loctav
Get over it. Staying at someone's house was never a reason to barell someone out. Stop spreading this false information. I won't discuss this any further. Either join or not. Accept the conditions or not. I am sure there are other people more than happy to join this competition. If you are so salty about everything, better leave the spot for people who actually enjoy these things.
PuffBuck
So excited! Wait for me in 6 year or so and I'll try too 8-)
CXu
@LoGo: Ask them to sign up, simple as that. They have to log in on jizz, and click a button.

Don't need them? Cool, they don't need to make room in their schedule to play. Need them? Use them.
Find out later that they can't participate because they're busy? Forfeit the spot to another country.

The situation is exactly the same as before: you can do everything in the exact same order as before, except the pool of users that are willing to participate in the tournament will be in a convenient list rather than having to ask them individually.
LoGo

CXu wrote:

@LoGo: Ask them to sign up, simple as that. They have to log in on jizz, and click a button.

Don't need them? Cool, they don't need to make room in their schedule to play. Need them? Use them.
Find out later that they can't participate because they're busy? Forfeit the spot to another country.

The situation is exactly the same as before: you can do everything in the exact same order as before, except the pool of users that are willing to participate in the tournament will be in a convenient list rather than having to ask them individually.
Well, you suggest to ask them anyway, so there is no change in that... And i'm talking about quality here, find me any sport where you get informed about your team day AFTER registration has ended. Why move towards worse quality, i'm pretty sure it's not that complicated to inform player if he is allowed to play, what his current team is.. If that is complicated, why make such system?

Just adding red/green square or simple list of registered players from your country in that "jizz" website would be enough.

Do you really want to tell me, that you are happy to get informed AFTER the date of registration that you are either allowed or not allowed to play? Or with who you even are playing ?
CXu
You would have to ask them regardless, if you wanted them to play, or if you wanted them to step in for someone not allowed to play.

You also don't get informed about your team the day after registration. You get a list of players from which you make your team from.
So, have every qualifying player sign up, then after the registration for the tournament (you, as an individual, is registering as a candidate to participate), the temporary captain can pick out the team that has the best chance to win (by discussing this with the rest of their country).

I'm not sure how this worsens the quality of the team. In the end, you end up with the strongest players for your country, that have not broken any rules.

Could they make a list of registered players? Yes. Do you need to know that right now? Not really. In what way does it make your potential team worse?
MillhioreF
As counterintuitive as this may sound, it's actually better for the captains this way due to the possibility that players aren't joining. The captains can't organize a team now only to find that some of their star players haven't signed up yet or were forbidden from entering - when it comes time to pick a team, they'll only have players that they can count on, with no unexpected surprises forcing them to scramble together a backup team.
LoGo

CXu wrote:

You would have to ask them regardless, if you wanted them to play, or if you wanted them to step in for someone not allowed to play.

You also don't get informed about your team the day after registration. You get a list of players from which you make your team from.
So, have every qualifying player sign up, then after the registration for the tournament (you, as an individual, is registering as a candidate to participate), the temporary captain can pick out the team that has the best chance to win (by discussing this with the rest of their country).

I'm not sure how this worsens the quality of the team. In the end, you end up with the strongest players for your country, that have not broken any rules.

Could they make a list of registered players? Yes. Do you need to know that right now? Not really. In what way does it make your potential team worse?
I'm talking about general quality not team quality, any competent and serious organization informs you about things before so you can be prepared way better.

And i'm not talking about having 500 players and then somehow making 1 (8 player) team, my main issue is that i have no idea who is allowed to play, i for example don't understand where is the problem informing a player if he is allowed to play or has done something wrong before it gets to the state "Registration time is over, teams are formed, cya next year" , as with the case that happened to our team last year we couldn't play at all. And contacting support team/person ANYWHERE almost never works fast enough.

@Loctav, "Staying at someone's house was never a reason to barell someone out. Stop spreading this false information."
As far as i know, people or person who responded to that proof those 2 players had, said it was not enough when that proof was the best proof you could ever have... and i assume if that is not enough, it was exactly that case about staying at others house and using same internet connection. (It was a picture of another computer setup, which was taken at random day half year before World Cup...( posted on the twitter ) of course they predicted that they will get disqualified for that and made a fake picture, and if the team/person who checks can't check 2 dates, when picture was posted on the twitter and when that account went online under same IP, then well, i guess i can say bye to this World Cup myself. )

As rules were different before that owc( not sure on that tho but at least you were either banned or playing, not having 1 year restriction from participiating and having 0 warning messages), no one even expected that they may get disqualified like that.
Minhtam
Ok, LoGo, let me help you out.

You are from Latvia. The performance rankings for all players from Latvia can be found here: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/pp?s=3&o=1&c=LV

As of today, only the top eight players from Latvia are ranked in the top 5000 worldwide, with the #9 Latvian player ranked in the 7000s. Clearly, that means that if Latvia were to participate with a full team of eight, there's only one possible combination of eight players that can.

I would suggest that you stop complaining and whining to Loctav and start contacting the other seven players right now to ask them to register. Because if you don't, you have zero chance to participate due to lack of players to form a team.
Korbl
My rank is pretty low. But anyways, please read the words. Do not reply and jump to conclusions. I will ignore all posts that have not been answered by this one.

According to current OWC policy if your rank is under 5000, no matter who you are or what position in Osu! hierarchy you are in, you should have no reason to argue, because you won't even be competing. The only way you will be is by cheating, and we all know that you will be banned eventually.

Of course, many people in every e-sport can agree with me that honestly at such high levels, rank shouldn't matter. However, I think that 5000 is pretty lenient considering the number of countries in the world, we can average about 70 players per country. However, for obscure regions, they should be tied together as competition there is limited, and very few players truly are there.

In fact, other e-sport leagues do this very well by grouping most of the South-East Asia countries into a conglomerate region, and leaving the 3 countries in North America by themselves. Although the numbers are truly large in those competitions, I'm considering that peppy and his team forced Osu! to find players within their own region so that international teams are not made up of rank 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

But when a country has less than available player/country population ratio, then there will be major problems for those extremely skilled top tier players that cannot find a team. Though, I am sure that peppy will find a way to resolve this situation. It will certainly be disappointing if some in ranks 500 could not play due to lack of player/country ratios.

Another issue that peppy has dealt with is the carrying we have seen in previous OWC. I watched some of those videos, and I understand how it could be a problem. Adjusting a time limit so that people can't set tournaments is a great way to solve stacked teams. However, many players will also agree that time management or "dedication" cannot define one's skill level.
In many cases with leagues outside of osu, a substitute is always filled in until a suitable player can be found. No matter what group stage or finals, either the entire team or part of the team plays. No team should be disallowed, because availability is decided by fanbase.
SPOILER
And to those who think that the opportunity to play in OWC should be given to the most dedicated or pleasure-seeking "countries."

Minhtam wrote:

I would suggest that you stop complaining and whining to Loctav and start contacting the other seven players right now to ask them to register. Because if you don't, you have zero chance to participate due to lack of players to form a team.

Loctav wrote:

I am sure there are other people more than happy to join this competition. If you are so salty about everything, better leave the spot for people who actually enjoy these things.
You honestly have no idea what world cup actually means. The first OWC was basically formed by dedicated players. To have the sense to post on such a forum already that you will voice your opinions whether or not the community will approve. Please grow up and understand that almost everyone here enjoys a game. If only 200 people in your country love a game, doesn't mean that 2 people from another country don't love it as much as you the 200 do. Actually understand from another point of view before speaking. Yes, I am defending LoGo, but only because his argument is just. Anyone who opposes his argument that defines skill and love based on a game's fanbase only seek to deface and discriminate against minorities. They should never be allowed to voice their opinions that only allow the majority to have any proper opinions, if the majority were based in a certain area. Honestly, just be mature about it, and quit acting like the status quo should be defended.
Why defend the strong, when the weak are shouting? You not only force yourself to a level lower than the weak, but also permanently destroy any semblance to humanity.
Melt3dCheeze
Please guys calm your tits down, let the fingers do the talking, this tourney is just for fun. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
CXu
I'm going to write inside the quote to make it easier to know what I'm talking about.

Korbl wrote:

My rank is pretty low. But anyways, please read the words. Do not reply and jump to conclusions. I will ignore all posts that have not been answered by this one. - You're going to ignore all posts about things that haven't been answered by this post?

According to current OWC policy if your rank is under 5000, no matter who you are or what position in Osu! hierarchy you are in, you should have no reason to argue, because you won't even be competing. The only way you will be is by cheating, and we all know that you will be banned eventually. - I'm not sure where you got that from. People are testing and giving input on score v2 regardless of their rank as we speak.

Of course, many people in every e-sport can agree with me that honestly at such high levels, rank shouldn't matter. However, I think that 5000 is pretty lenient considering the number of countries in the world, we can average about 70 players per country. However, for obscure regions, they should be tied together as competition there is limited, and very few players truly are there. - Yeah, that sucks. It's still a world cup though, as in country vs country. Some countries might not participate in some games during the olympics simply because they don't have enough people to form a team to compete.

In fact, other e-sport leagues do this very well by grouping most of the South-East Asia countries into a conglomerate region, and leaving the 3 countries in North America by themselves. Although the numbers are truly large in those competitions, I'm considering that peppy and his team forced Osu! to find players within their own region so that international teams are not made up of rank 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. - Or simply because it's a world cup. A football team might have people from different countries, but during the world cup, they play for their national team. (Probably. I don't football so idk)

But when a country has less than available player/country population ratio, then there will be major problems for those extremely skilled top tier players that cannot find a team. Though, I am sure that peppy will find a way to resolve this situation. It will certainly be disappointing if some in ranks 500 could not play due to lack of player/country ratios. - Yes. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is.

Another issue that peppy has dealt with is the carrying we have seen in previous OWC. I watched some of those videos, and I understand how it could be a problem. Adjusting a time limit so that people can't set tournaments is a great way to solve stacked teams. However, many players will also agree that time management or "dedication" cannot define one's skill level. - I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. How is carrying relevant to dedication or time management?
In many cases with leagues outside of osu, a substitute is always filled in until a suitable player can be found. No matter what group stage or finals, either the entire team or part of the team plays. No team should be disallowed, because availability is decided by fanbase. - Yes. in OWC you play 4 vs 4. This means that you essentially have 4 substitutes. This also means that a team of 4 people can compete with no substitutes. For any competition, substitutes must be registered beforehand. And "availability is decided by fanbase". Uh? Availability is decided by if you're available at the time or not...
SPOILER
And to those who think that the opportunity to play in OWC should be given to the most dedicated or pleasure-seeking "countries."

Minhtam wrote:

Loctav wrote:

I am sure there are other people more than happy to join this competition. If you are so salty about everything, better leave the spot for people who actually enjoy these things.
You honestly have no idea what world cup actually means. The first OWC was basically formed by dedicated players. To have the sense to post on such a forum already that you will voice your opinions whether or not the community will approve. Please grow up and understand that almost everyone here enjoys a game. If only 200 people in your country love a game, doesn't mean that 2 people from another country don't love it as much as you the 200 do. Actually understand from another point of view before speaking. Yes, I am defending LoGo, but only because his argument is just. Anyone who opposes his argument that defines skill and love based on a game's fanbase only seek to deface and discriminate against minorities. They should never be allowed to voice their opinions that only allow the majority to have any proper opinions, if the majority were based in a certain area. Honestly, just be mature about it, and quit acting like the status quo should be defended.
Why defend the strong, when the weak are shouting? You not only force yourself to a level lower than the weak, but also permanently destroy any semblance to humanity.
No one is trying to oppress or discriminate against the minority. Where do you get that from? What you're talking about has like nothing to do with what LoGo is complaining about in the first place. They want to know if a registered player is allowed to play or not before registration ends, so they can find substitutes if that's the case. Then the issue is solved by finding potential substitutes right now, before the registration ends, because if someone can't play, pick one of the other people who registered. Who knows, someone you thought could play might suddenly have other things to do, and then you'd be screwed if your registered team was already set in stone. The end result is the same though: if the "best" team registered, all you have to do is to pick those players. Any player knows if they have broken any rules or not in the past year, so if they decided to make the "best" team with said player, then I'd suggest picking someone else regardless, as they're most likely lying about it.
What LoGo is talking about is almost a non-issue, as more than 8 people can register as a potential candidate to play in the owc, so saying you don't have time to find substitutes is not true. You have time right now to do so.
Minhtam
I was going to respond to you Korbl, since you directly addressed me in your post, but CXu said what I was going to say and MUCH more. I'm going to leave it at that for now.
My Aim Zogs
How many players may a team consist of?
LoGo

Zog wrote:

How many players may a team consist of?
There is one person who likes to state pretty obvious information, here is the screenshot from previous page :- )

NyaKame
Awh cmon 18th is not over yet and registration phase is closed, unlucky me my bad i guess
Neta
Idk if there was same question but can i ask if Captain and member list comes out on Oct 19 or more later
buny

NyaKame wrote:

Awh cmon 18th is not over yet and registration phase is closed, unlucky me my bad i guess
it shouldn't be closed,

It may have been bad wording, and meant closing at the start of 18th

Wait until word from staff I guess
Topic Starter
Loctav

NyaKame wrote:

Well no. It should be open again. Our fault! You still have around 14h to register!
NyaKame

Loctav wrote:

NyaKame wrote:

Well no. It should be open again. Our fault! You still have around 14h to register!
Thanks a lot, managed to register
Nakatoru

Neta wrote:

Idk if there was same question but can i ask if Captain and member list comes out on Oct 19 or more later
Oh, I would like to know about this too please.
show more