forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
YodaSnipe

buny wrote:

it may be unnecessary for Canada, but there was a ton of controversy iirc previous owc with captains and whatnot. A lot of rosters had to be changed too because of players not eligible to play, so this should be tons easier by just forming teams from a list of verified players

I think there were also cases where teams were actually being submitted from two different captains, which caused even more confusion

Personally I'd like to give this new process a try, what's the worst that could happen?
Okay, then have this be the solution for countries that have these issues and let other Countries that have no issues like these make their own lineups with the proper Captain. The troll potential is far too high if the wrong captain is chosen.
xasuma
Is it only possible to sign up for the country you appear to be from in here in the forums? I am not from here, I just live here.
Just want to make sure.
the_robot
How about this:

As a country (Cananda), decide on what team of eight you want to submit for the tournament. Then, have those eight, and ONLY those eight players register for OWC. At that point, it doesn't matter who they pick as your captain because the only eligible players are players that you have all approved for anyways.

And in the rare case that some random player decides to register without your knowledge, do you really not have the faith that the organizers couldn't pick out that one random and ignore them?
Bauxe

YodaSnipe wrote:

Okay, then have this be the solution for countries that have these issues and let other Countries that have no issues like these make their own lineups with the proper Captain. The troll potential is far too high if the wrong captain is chosen.
Fragmenting the way of choosing teams just adds increased confusion.

If this doesn't work this year, I'm sure they will change next year. But I believe this will be a much better solution.
Nwolf
It worked fine in 3 world cups, it will be fine for OWC as well
YodaSnipe
It's interesting (actually shocking) the number of people that are backing this. I honestly don't think it is right, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully it all works out in the end.
Topic Starter
Loctav

the_robot wrote:

How about this:

As a country (Cananda), decide on what team of eight you want to submit for the tournament. Then, have those eight, and ONLY those eight players register for OWC. At that point, it doesn't matter who they pick as your captain because the only eligible players are players that you have all approved for anyways.

And in the rare case that some random player decides to register without your knowledge, do you really not have the faith that the organizers couldn't pick out that one random and ignore them?
You want as many people to sign up from your country as possible. There is the possibility that in your "only those eight players", some get barred out for violating the osu! rules and then you only have 7, 6, maybe even 4. And no, we do not let others sign up after the 18th - if you didnt sign up, but your core team has denied players, you can not ask others, who didn't sign up, to join.

So whoever makes efforts to only make a specific team sign up and stop others from signing up will most likely damage themselves, as they will have no list of candidates to substitute possible rejected players with. There are even chances that your "only those eight people" will receive 6 rejections and the entire team has no chance to create itself, either.

So people, make your entire country sign up, if needed. Make your options as widespread as possible, so you can guaranteed go into the world cup with the best team that is foundable.

Any attempt to pre-form teams and only sign up with these 8 are not working out. Experience speaks here. And drama is bound to happen in case someone decides to find that suddenly unfair that they can not roll in anyone else that didn't press "sign me up" during the registration phase.

You have been warned!

YodaSnipe wrote:

It's interesting (actually shocking) the number of people that are backing this. I honestly don't think it is right, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully it all works out in the end.
If you don't need help, make the chosen one publish the candidate list and discuss it/form the team like you always did. I don't see the issue. No one is stopping you to use your selection method as you did before internally.
A troll potential only exists if we deliberately pick trolls and idiots to be captains. That won't happen. We know 98% of the people we are dealing with here, so do not make it look like we roll a dice to decide who gets the captain. You can pick your ideal captain however you want. We just pick someone to get in contact to in order to make it happen. Who ends up with the title of the captain and who gets a team member is totally up to you guys.

In past world cups, we gave the last to the decided captains and almost all of them shared the list with the fellow candidates. They discussed in a group who will end up in the team and who will get the captain title at last. The decided captain mailed me their group decision back. Some decided captains did not even end up in the team at all.

As you can see, if you would just not assume too much that everyone but yourself is an asshole that boycotts your team and trust people a bit more, you could be less frustrated and less worried about this entire method.
plaatinum
Note that you can only participate if you are of a osu! global ranking of #5000 or higher and did not violate the osu! community rules in the past 12 months.
Just wanna clarify, a few random silences for spamming or inappropriate conversation or whatever doesn't bar you from entering the competition right?
uee

Tasha wrote:

I've played in three different world cups for taiko. We placed 4th in 2013, were disqualified due to absent players in 2014 in bracket stage, and ended 7/8th in 2015. I am FULLY aware of the stress players are under in a world cup match. Are you?
In that case, I apologize for including you in that comment. I should have done some checks before saying that. However, the point still stands for ztrot and deadbeat.
Also,

Tasha wrote:

Are you?
No, but I'm not commentating nor do I have any desire to do so.

Apologies to bring this up again, just wanted to say that before it became too late to do so.

plaatinum wrote:

Just wanna clarify, a few random silences for spamming or inappropriate conversation or whatever doesn't bar you from entering the competition right?
I really doubt it, else it would eliminate a fairly large portion of the player base. I'm sure that is the last thing we want after last year.
YodaSnipe

Loctav wrote:

If you don't need help, make the chosen one publish the candidate list and discuss it/form the team like you always did. I don't see the issue. No one is stopping you to use your selection method as you did before internally.
I am satisfied.
Topic Starter
Loctav

plaatinum wrote:

Note that you can only participate if you are of a osu! global ranking of #5000 or higher and did not violate the osu! community rules in the past 12 months.
mmmmhnah. Unless you have like 15 341h silences in a row or being a gigantic dick all over the places, that doesn't matter. That doesn't mean that you shall head out and receive more silences. This is my personal stance on this. A singular silence doesn't matter. Albeit being a known troublemaker might be a different story, but I have never seen a case so far that were refused to participate for a handful of average silences.
xasuma

xasuma wrote:

Is it only possible to sign up for the country you appear to be from in here in the forums? I am not from here, I just live here.
Just want to make sure.
Anyone?
Minhtam
I don't know if this has been brought up, but can we potentially have 40 teams (5 in each of the 8 groups for the group stage) for OWC 2016?
Omgforz

Minifrij wrote:

Tasha wrote:

I've played in three different world cups for taiko. We placed 4th in 2013, were disqualified due to absent players in 2014 in bracket stage, and ended 7/8th in 2015. I am FULLY aware of the stress players are under in a world cup match. Are you?
In that case, I apologize for including you in that comment. I should have done some checks before saying that. However, the point still stands for ztrot and deadbeat.
I don't see this as a factor at all though.

What does this bring to the commentating table? I think people are discussing the wrong points here. The difference between feeling the pressure and just knowing that there's pressure on players is negligible and can be ignored in terms of a commentating stand-point. What are you supposed to say? "Wow, look at these players, the pressure is immense because I know about it."? It's not even worth a debate, you can at most mention that there's pressure, but even that much is obvious by the viewer.

The only thing I can see where experience can help is the thought process of what maps to pick, but even that is something you can figure out yourself without any experience by being able to estimate and quantify a players skill from the current performance and previous performances/general history and player type.

But I find that having commentators from different regions would help out the schedule, that'd be a big plus if it weren't for loctav's argument of reliability which I completely understand as it has happened a few too many times in other tournaments imo.
karterfreak
loliforz nailed it.
uee
I'll admit when I'm wrong, apologies.
quzy
We eSports now
LLoyderino

KevEz wrote:

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
ITALIA ITALIA ITA...uhm all best italian players are rip
ToGlette
This year's groups will be one fierce battleground :3 I can't wait to see.
Endaris
By the way, just throwing a thought in even though it won't change anything(I'm sure someone questioned this before).
The bracket-thing encourages versatility and consistency throughout all kinds of gameplay-difficulties.
While I can see why a FL-bracket would be lame I think an EZ-Pool would be interesting as this Game-Mod is indeed based on player skill and yields replicable results for the same player without having to practice the map before a lot.
Glazbom

Endaris wrote:

By the way, just throwing a thought in even though it won't change anything(I'm sure someone questioned this before).
The bracket-thing encourages versatility and consistency throughout all kinds of gameplay-difficulties.
While I can see why a FL-bracket would be lame I think an EZ-Pool would be interesting as this Game-Mod is indeed based on player skill and yields replicable results for the same player without having to practice the map before a lot.
No.
Minhtam
Forget EZ, mate. Despite the fact that low AR is a challenge, the accuracy window increases, which makes the low AR challenge moot.
LoGo
So we will get notification about getting in or not at the last day ? :- )
Bowlglet

KevEz wrote:

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA CANADA
buny

Endaris wrote:

2/10
Minhtam
Well, put it this way. Good thing "England" isn't playing in this World Cup... right?

buny

Minhtam wrote:

Well, put it this way. Good thing "England" isn't playing in this World Cup... right?

lmfao
Pitreq
Brazil will dominate this OWC, trust me plebs
defiance
Teams to watch out for (a lot of ifs) (These are the Juggernauts)
Poland: Poland has always shown strong with their performance in OWC, last years team was good to get to 2nd place. WWW was most obviously their star player. This year, IF Rafis joins team Poland, Poland will be a force to be reckoned with. Rafis has proved this year that he is one of the best players in osu!standard in 2015. Him combined with WWW is a dream to some polska fans. The other considerations for the other 2 main slots is AmaiHachimitsu (who performed very well last year) and fartonwik. The other players that can sub in will probably be listless and Wilchq. With this team, Poland could finally take a world cup.
Japan: Japan has proved to never fail with their amount of skill. Last year they took 1st place against Poland. This year it's going to be somewhat different for Japan. The original team (Guy, Mercurius, rrtyui, Potofu, Poruteri, Sinch, and serea) is probably going to have to exclude and make some changes. Depending on the new map pool, which I hope is going to be harder, some might not be as skilled as some newcomers to play these maps. In my honest opinion, Recia will be a BIG pick for Japan, he's a very consistent player that can do a LOT of HDHR plays. My next pick for Japan would be moca. moca is a very consistent nomod player, he's very good for nomod consistency and it fits in with the new scoring system that favors accuracy more than combo. My next 2 picks will obviously be Mercurius and Guy, they are the cornerstone of the Japan team and can always be the star player or the backup to the star player, they never seem to fail Japan. IF rrtyui decides he wants to play in the OWC BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the competition will be amazing. rrtyui has proven time and time again that he is one of the best players in osu!standard, amazing consistency, and can do anything. If rrtyui is not going to be in the OWC, then serea and Potofu are going to be my picks.

Teams that are questionable:

Germany: There is an uprising of new players in Germany, but I don't think they have what it takes to really go against the skilled players, Cookeasy and Dustice are your best bets.
Taiwan: Taiwan has proven to be skilled, but hvick is the only amazing player compared to the top players, I don't think Taiwan won't get past Round of 8 at most.
UK: UK has some amazing players, Crai, Doomsday, and Tasty Beverage, and possibly jesus1412 are what represent the UK. I've seen Doomsday prove that he is a player to watch out for this year but the team as a whole will probably get out of group stages, but in terms of beating the titans, not a chance.
South Korea: This will probably piss a lot of people off, but South Korea will probably not get too far in Knockout Rounds. Angelism and Hakurei Reimu haven't been on top of everything lately, plus without My Aim Sucks and sayonara-bye :(. South Korea has kind of lost it.
Edit: There's so many countries that this post would be too long.
buny
i cant read
Nwolf
Isn't this what you're suggesting (almost)?
buny

Nwolf wrote:

Isn't this what you're suggesting (almost)?
oh i missed that completely
Glazbom
Te Amo
Feeling uneasy about this score v2 but who knows, maybe it turns out being great?
VnSoul

osuskrub wrote:

Japan: Japan has proved to never fail with their amount of skill. Last year they took 1st place against Poland. This year it's going to be somewhat different for Japan. The original team (Guy, Mercurius, rrtyui, Potofu, Poruteri, Sinch, and serea) is probably going to have to exclude and make some changes. Depending on the new map pool, which I hope is going to be harder, some might not be as skilled as some newcomers to play these maps. In my honest opinion, Recia will be a BIG pick for Japan, he's a very consistent player that can do a LOT of HDHR plays. My next pick for Japan would be moca. moca is a very consistent nomod player, he's very good for nomod consistency and it fits in with the new scoring system that favors accuracy more than combo. My next 2 picks will obviously be Mercurius and Guy, they are the cornerstone of the Japan team and can always be the star player or the backup to the star player, they never seem to fail Japan. IF rrtyui decides he wants to play in the OWC BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the competition will be amazing. rrtyui has proven time and time again that he is one of the best players in osu!standard, amazing consistency, and can do anything. If rrtyui is not going to be in the OWC, then serea and Potofu are going to be my picks.

Taiwan: Taiwan has proven to be skilled, but hvick is the only amazing player compared to the top players, I don't think Taiwan won't get past Round of 8 at most.
Japan doesnt look too strong tbh. Guy,Recia and zeluar said that they wont play(confirmed in their ask,fm) and since rrtyui wont play either Japan star players are already pretty much gone.
And I found it kinda hilarious what you wrote about Taiwan. Last OWC they almost beat Korea in the semifinals(lost the tiebreaker) and nearly placed 4th place WITHOUT Rucker and hvick and now imagine how strong they are with them(Rucker is still pretty much as consistent as hvick which was shown in other tournaments) I would confidently say that Taiwan will make it to the finals, probably against Poland.
plaatinum
If you want to enable score v2 for the tournament, please either disable the slider accuracy hit window or enable it for non-supporter use so we can practice it. Its a huge change coming into the tournament and people want to be fully prepared for it.
tfg50
If Small K/Rucker/SnowWhite play Taiwan is the #1 favorite for this owc imo. At least considering that Japan got really weaker. Unless new players to the owc work out and they might, lots of good players in Japan, but they won't be the consistency gods like they used to be though.
Endaris

plaatinum wrote:

If you want to enable score v2 for the tournament, please either disable the slider accuracy hit window or enable it for non-supporter use so we can practice it. Its a huge change coming into the tournament and people want to be fully prepared for it.
I forgot where I read it but peppy wants to push score v2 to beta asap so I think you can expect it on beta soon.
EtienneXC

osuskrub wrote:

Poland: Poland has always shown strong with their performance in OWC, last years team was good to get to 2nd place. WWW was most obviously their star player. This year, IF Rafis joins team Poland, Poland will be a force to be reckoned with. Rafis has proved this year that he is one of the best players in osu!standard in 2015. Him combined with WWW is a dream to some polska fans. The other considerations for the other 2 main slots is AmaiHachimitsu (who performed very well last year) and fartonwik. The other players that can sub in will probably be listless and Wilchq. With this team, Poland could finally take a world cup.

Teams that are questionable:

Germany: There is an uprising of new players in Germany, but I don't think they have what it takes to really go against the skilled players, Cookeasy and Dustice are your best bets.
UK: UK has some amazing players, Crai, Doomsday, and Tasty Beverage, and possibly jesus1412 are what represent the UK. I've seen Doomsday prove that he is a player to watch out for this year but the team as a whole will probably get out of group stages, but in terms of beating the titans, not a chance.
South Korea: This will probably piss a lot of people off, but South Korea will probably not get too far in Knockout Rounds. Angelism and Hakurei Reimu haven't been on top of everything lately, plus without My Aim Sucks and sayonara-bye :(. South Korea has kind of lost it.
Edit: There's so many countries that this post would be too long.

>No U.S. team.

lol
buny
Sliders are pretty rough for scorev2, is this subject to change or are tournament managers adamant on this? It seems a bit weird to change gameplay just before a tournament, and most maps are mapped without slider accuracy in mind (kick sliders are insane to play)
show more