forum

Do you think I'm overranked?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Risa
Why even bother about rank then. Just play whatever the heck u want
chainpullz
Tfw you get to make rank 2k players feel bad about themselves on 6*+ maps.
timemon
Just set your dream goal , and work towards it.

I want to be a high ranked DT player. But currently, I am just a DT farmer. I can only pull off crappy TV size FC.
But I make sure that I practice hard everyday.

DT farmers today will be DT players in the future!
But first, I need to stop choking on Daidai Genome.
KanoSet

Endaris wrote:

Khelly wrote:

No one is overranked.
+1
There are only underranked people.
B1rd

Khelly wrote:

No one is overranked.
This is just a BS feel-good sentiment. Some people are overranked and some people are underranked. It depends on how much farming you have done.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Khelly wrote:

No one is overranked.
This is just a BS feel-good sentiment. Some people are overranked and some people are underranked. It depends on how much farming you have done.
You're not overranked if you have the skill to get the pp from a map and DID. Why is that so hard to understand? No one FCs all the maps they can to the best of their abilities, in which case they couldn't gain anymore - there's varying degrees of underranked there. No one is overranked unless you cheated to get a score. It's your skill that let you get whatever play it was.

Now let me say "Farming" is a BS feel-good sentiment used by people who don't regularly play for fcs or cannot fc and like to use it to think they're superior than the people who want to play for fcs and pp.
B1rd

Khelly wrote:

B1rd wrote:

You're not overranked if you have the skill to get the pp from a map and DID. Why is that so hard to understand? No one FCs all the maps they can to the best of their abilities, in which case they couldn't gain anymore - there's varying degrees of underranked there. No one is overranked unless you cheated to get a score. It's your skill that let you get whatever play it was.

Now let me say "Farming" is a BS feel-good sentiment used by people who don't regularly play for fcs or cannot fc and like to use it to think they're superior than the people who want to play for fcs and pp.
Who can't FC Daidai and Koigokoro? If you go and search for every farm map there is, play DT all day erryday then you are overranked becasue you have farmed more than the mean player and have less skill than average for your pp. And yes, the player who plays for hard FCs is going to be more skilled than the player that has all DT top ranks even though they have 10% more pp. And you can't argue that a player who has more pp than average for their skill is not overranked. That is the defintion of overranked.
People don't like farming because the farming it leads to boring maps and boring plays. 'Oh Hvick just DT'd another extra with DT for 500+ pp, amazing (zzz)'. 'Oh look the 15th MIIRO or generic another ar9.2+ jumpspam map has been ranked how exciting (zzz)'
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

Who can't FC Daidai and Koigokoro? If you go and search for every farm map there is, play DT all day erryday then you are overranked becasue you have farmed more than the mean player and have less skill than average for your pp. And yes, the player who plays for hard FCs is going to be more skilled than the player that has all DT top ranks even though they have 10% more pp. And you can't argue that a player who has more pp than average for their skill is not overranked. That is the defintion of overranked.
People don't like farming because the farming it leads to boring maps and boring plays. 'Oh Hvick just DT'd another extra with DT for 500+ pp, amazing (zzz)'. 'Oh look the 15th MIIRO or generic another ar9.2+ jumpspam map has been ranked how exciting (zzz)'
1) If you can't fc daidai or kokoro (And daidai was hard for me when I first tried it), then you deserve to be lower ranked for not having that ability. That's one of my points. If you don't, see point 3.

2) You seem to believe there's no hard DT maps which shows to me you have an inexperience with the mod by distinguishing between "Hard FC" and "DT". I can give you hard DT and I can give you DT that's a little easier to fc but requires a lot of good acc to get anything worthwhile out of. These are probably mostly older than 2012 too.

3)When I say rank, I mean pp. Maybe I should have said that before. No one is overranked because your abilities allow you to get up to a certain amount of pp. It is legitimate - you have the skill, you make the play, you get X amount of total pp. People can be UNDERRANKED, below their skillcap for pp (Which we all probably are to varying degrees) because of not trying, not having tried long enough on maps you can fc, not playing a wider variety of maps, or flat out avoiding playing some maps. Like if someone could HDDT SS koigokoro insane but chooses not to.

4) Is it just me, or do you and lots of other people use farming to mean playing for pp and think that the only legitimate way to play is to FC whatever you, the person using the term farm, have in your high and mighty opinion as a "hard map".
I Give Up
If higher rank player consistently get beaten by lower rank player then you can say the higher rank player is over-ranked or the lower rank player is under-ranked it just point of view. PP system favours accuracy and doesn't reward complex patterns or any low accuracy map, just need one lucky FC and get PP. Whereas tournament is combo based which is mostly about aim and consistency which is a lot different to what pp tells about player. There is going to be new scoring system so it will change.
roufou
nobody is overranked makes sense, but it depends on how you look at it.

if you're going to judge overranked as people who did easier maps and got higher rank then obviously they are overranked, you can judge yourself who is actually better cause pp is kind of garb anyways. At the same time like what a lot of people are saying though, if you do have more pp than someone else you do have a score which is better than them, and while it might not seem like much, it does prove that they can arguably be better...better at getting pp at least, cause that's kind of what pp actually revolved around.
timemon
Why do people compare no mod players with DT players? Like, no mod players will do better on no mod while DT players will do better on DT.

If you think DT players are unskilled that much. You should beat their scores first.
B1rd

Khelly wrote:

3)When I say rank, I mean pp. Maybe I should have said that before. No one is overranked because your abilities allow you to get up to a certain amount of pp. It is legitimate - you have the skill, you make the play, you get X amount of total pp. People can be UNDERRANKED, below their skillcap for pp (Which we all probably are to varying degrees) because of not trying, not having tried long enough on maps you can fc, not playing a wider variety of maps, or flat out avoiding playing some maps. Like if someone could HDDT SS koigokoro insane but chooses not to.
refer to this

B1rd wrote:

If you go and search for every farm map there is, play DT all day erryday then you are overranked becasue you have farmed more than the mean player and have less skill than average for your pp. And you can't argue that a player who has more pp than average for their skill is not overranked. That is the definition of overranked.
Not reaching your maximum PP potential =/= being underranked.

Khelly wrote:

4) Is it just me, or do you and lots of other people use farming to mean playing for pp and think that the only legitimate way to play is to FC whatever you, the person using the term farm, have in your high and mighty opinion as a "hard map".
I think playing solely for PP is a shitty way to play. That is all.
Yuudachi-kun

B1rd wrote:

refer to this

B1rd wrote:

If you go and search for every farm map there is, play DT all day erryday then you are overranked becasue you have farmed more than the mean player and have less skill than average for your pp. And you can't argue that a player who has more pp than average for their skill is not overranked. That is the definition of overranked.
Not reaching your maximum PP potential =/= being underranked.

It is to me; the person whom you'd call overranked who is already near his potential isn't going to be gaining more anytime soon. I see no reason to call him overranked for that. He's done - at his limit. The person who's not near their own limit can continue to gain. Their plays will begin to show more and more of what they're capable rather than the person who's already exhausted everything they can do.

Khelly wrote:

I think playing solely for PP is a shitty way to play. That is all.

Then you can continue to not do so?
ithgyu
The fact that underranked people exist guarantees the existence of overranked people. This should be a pretty easy concept to understand. If one person is slightly better than another but goes out of his way to never play farm maps, then he will be underranked, and the other person will be overranked, even if this other person does not play a heap of farm maps.
Roxy Lalonde
miiro and pika girl are the definition of overranked

you didn't mention either so you obvioously can't be overranked el em ay oh

The pp gain system, while people complain for days on months about how inaccurate is, happens to be precisely accurate when it comes to base concepts such as speed, OD, note density, etc. In fact, let's just say for base difficulty, pp gain is 100% accurate.

Now, you deserve any pp you got from any maps in the basic terms. HOWEVER, players higher up in the ranks tend to look more and more towards mods such as HD, HR, and DT. Some of these change base difficulty, others require special skillsets. The truth is that there are many little factors that make up a player's skillset that don't account in base difficulty.

Now, on a player-to-player basis analyzing all parts of their skillsets, it's possible to find many inconsistencies in how ranking placement works. Keep in mind the density of player's pp-play spreads as the play density affects their other pp gains (weighting to the rescue woo).

I play with a good number of 1k-2k players, often beating them at nomod 6+ stars. They're not worse than me necessarily because I know who they are and they'd probably crush me in DT or HR or even JUST HD (on relatively easier maps lol).

When you get into the mid-high ranks (50k+) you begin to realize that a skillset's reliability tends to far outweigh your base abilities and that you may experience huge fluctuations in "how good you are compared to your rank".

However, in peppy's eyes everyone is equal. If pp states that you have earned X amount from your base abilities, then you have earned X rank and deserve to be in X position.

Oh yeah, try to warm up well before multis in case you're the type of person whose ego silently blows up in multis (like me admittedly).
otoed1
It is literally impossible to be over ranked, unless you cheated to get your rank in some way. If you made plays that got you to your current rank then you earned it.
chainpullz

otoed1 wrote:

It is literally impossible to be over ranked, unless you cheated to get your rank in some way. If you made plays that got you to your current rank then you earned it.
This. Your rank doesn't increase from being skilled, it increases from fc'ing sufficiently difficult maps. Let's stop pretending rank is a measure of skill. As long as maps such as Snow Drive exist that give 0pp and fc's on them are considered outstanding accomplishments it's silly to associate rank directly with skill.
Yuudachi-kun

chainpullz wrote:

otoed1 wrote:

This. Your rank doesn't increase from being skilled, it increases from fc'ing sufficiently difficult maps. Let's stop pretending rank is a measure of skill. As long as maps such as Snow Drive exist that give 0pp and fc's on them are considered outstanding accomplishments it's silly to associate rank directly with skill.
But are you denying the correlation?
ZenithPhantasm
Play more^tm 8-)
Top Bunk
I'd be happy to take ranks from anybody who feels over ranked. Too bad that's not possible.

More seriously, I don't see why people worry about over/under ranked. DT pp farming is overrated as we all know, but regardless if you earn the pp for your rank, then you're obviously going to be at whatever rank you worked for. You either farm for pp or you don't. Rank is essentially irrelevant either way. Just focus on your own skill sets.
chainpullz

Khelly wrote:

But are you denying the correlation?
That it's direct yes. That there is a loose correlation, no. High skilled players are capable of being highly ranked. Rankings merely guess at the lower bound of a player's skill.

You have to be at least skilled enough to obtain the easiest set of 100 scores providing X pp to actually obtain X pp. For some players, obtaining these plays is actually the upperbound on their skill too but this is extremely uncommon and is why ranking is a bad metric for skill comparisons.
StephOsu

II Jelli II wrote:

The fact that underranked people exist guarantees the existence of overranked people. This should be a pretty easy concept to understand. If one person is slightly better than another but goes out of his way to never play farm maps, then he will be underranked, and the other person will be overranked, even if this other person does not play a heap of farm maps.
would agree with this
it's all about perspective
but who cares just enjoy game
Bzer
if u feel you are overranked and it really bothers you why don't u just derank?
Cylencer

Shina Kokomi wrote:

if u feel you are overranked and it really bothers you why don't u just derank?
Ditto

ithgyu
LOL obviously there is a very close relationship between rank and skill, people just say otherwise because they mad cus bad. No but seriously, if you have 2 players of different ranks, much more commonly the higher ranked player will be "better" (in quotation marks because there are many different aspects that can make a player good, so better means in the eyes of the objective referee). People who are lower ranked and better that a person who is not too close to their rank, are the outliers.
Minhtam
If you do not deserve your rank, then it means you cheated.

You did not cheat. Therefore you deserve your rank.

#logic.
chainpullz

II Jelli II wrote:

LOL obviously there is a very close relationship between rank and skill, people just say otherwise because they mad cus bad. No but seriously, if you have 2 players of different ranks, much more commonly the higher ranked player will be "better" (in quotation marks because there are many different aspects that can make a player good, so better means in the eyes of the objective referee). People who are lower ranked and better that a person who is not too close to their rank, are the outliers.
Skill is the dual to rank. Thus skill is an upper bound on rank and rank is a lower bound on skill. In practice the duality gap is extremely large for most players.
Rilene
If you full combo with >95% accuracy at Daidai Genome's Insane, you are already overranked.
Accurian
Being overranked in osu! isn't possible. If you've earned pp, you deserve it. Games like Dota, its more likely to be overranked as it's also dependent on your teammates being good or bad, or in CS:GO where you can be carried into a high skill bracket without having to be good at the game, but in osu! where everything is solely based on your own performance, it's not really possible to be overranked.
Yuudachi-kun

Sirade wrote:

If you full combo with >95% accuracy at Daidai Genome's Insane, you are already overranked.
Stupid nomod players
Ninonuko

Sirade wrote:

od 9.75 is hard to acc and....

Khelly wrote:

Stupid nomod players
Yuudachi-kun
9.666666666666666666666666666 actually
Ninonuko
Risa
Rank is accurate for measuring how much pp someone farms, not how skilled someone is. So rly who cares abt rank.
ZenithPhantasm

Ninonuko wrote:

Wiki is not a reliable source. Didnt they teach you that in middle school?
Roxy Lalonde
people only complain about overrankedness when they can't play with another person's mods in multis

thats why freemods exists folks

im a spunout player and proud. stupid nomod players.
Rilene
I'm HT player, do I suck and overranked or underranked?
Ninonuko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Ninonuko wrote:

Wiki is not a reliable source. Didnt they teach you that in middle school?
No, I learnt it myself since schools here are retarded .
Couldn't find any better source so I used this https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Song_Setup#Overall_Difficulty
A Medic
Not really because you have crazy hard maps fc'ed with 98/99 percent accuracy. I think you're fine dude.
vsprite

timemon wrote:

Why do people compare no mod players with DT players? Like, no mod players will do better on no mod while DT players will do better on DT.

If you think DT players are unskilled that much. You should beat their scores first.
I do better on both lel. Am I gud now
show more