forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xilver15
Catgirl
now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
Winner

Decon082 wrote:

now implement this scoring system for non-tournament scenarios in standard and ctb please
I think it's a bit too late for that. Would have to wipe all scores on leaderboards or make an entirely new leaderboard. :o
EtienneXC

Winner wrote:

Decon082 wrote:

I think it's a bit too late for that. Would have to wipe all scores on leaderboards or make an entirely new leaderboard. :o

At least the new system will reflect skill a lot more.

Anyways, the USA bois better bring it home <3
Minhtam

Winner wrote:

Decon082 wrote:

I wouldn't mind that at all. It would give me an excuse to play some of my favorite maps again to solidify my fundamentals. Not to mention I'll capitalize on the player base rage quitting because I'm so anti-meta.
Bauxe

Xilver wrote:

May I please ask for the logic behind captains being selected by the management team and not by the team itself? Not trying to start anything, I just don't particularly agree with that decision and I'd like to hear your line of reasoning behind it.

Even if it's a temporary pick, I'm assuming the reason you pick the captain is for the captain to choose a team, right?
Probably because the team isn't exactly being pre-picked by the country. Since all registrations are individual, they probably want to pick someone who they don't think will choose teammates based on personal bias (ie. picking friends over better players).

Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

edit: also the country-picked captain might not be able to play which would cause confusion (since no more captain).
LoGo
I hope this time if there is some kind of issue with players that will be messaged at MAX like 1 week after registration not after 22 days.
tfg50
ACC =O. My time to shine! LETS GO BRAZIL WE NEED TO WIN SOMETHING AFTER THE GROUP STAGE
CXu

Bauxe wrote:

Xilver wrote:

May I please ask for the logic behind captains being selected by the management team and not by the team itself? Not trying to start anything, I just don't particularly agree with that decision and I'd like to hear your line of reasoning behind it.

Even if it's a temporary pick, I'm assuming the reason you pick the captain is for the captain to choose a team, right?
Probably because the team isn't exactly being pre-picked by the country. Since all registrations are individual, they probably want to pick someone who they don't think will choose teammates based on personal bias (ie. picking friends over better players).

Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

edit: also the country-picked captain might not be able to play which would cause confusion (since no more captain).
Speaking of which, does the temporary captain have to end up in the team? If a country has decided (in their forum section or channel or tournament etc.) whom to select for their team, and the captain chosen isn't among any of them, would this temporary captain be able to pick the 8 players and then not participate themselves?
Evrien
Just wanna say good luck to the management team and thanks for putting effort in revolutionizing the tournament structure. Hope all goes well! I however would like to show some concern for the $5,000 prize pool since it's quite big...really. All-Star promised a $500 one and that was already considered grand-scale. Why $5,000 if I may ask?
Te Amo
Just want to clarify something, if i have proof that i am from Mexico does that make me eligable at all to play for the Mexican team or do i have to try to play for the country i reside in?
Minhtam

KevEz wrote:

Just want to clarify something, if i have proof that i am from Mexico does that make me eligable at all to play for the Mexican team or do i have to try to play for the country i reside in?
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Help_Center

Based off of what I'm looking at, it is proof of residency. So if you really are from Mexico, that would mean that you could technically play for Mexico, provided you own a home there and you have a Mexican ID.
Professor Gila
hey, can i ask something?

can the captains ask themselves to switch out for a moment? for example, after a captain picks a map, a captain (either from red side or blue side) ask to switch out for a moment
Athrun

Makan1 wrote:

lets not see a repeat of last year yeah....

hong kong pls no disappoint this year lol
Hong Kong hype!

But no SiLviZ ;W;

Evrien wrote:

Just wanna say good luck to the management team and thanks for putting effort in revolutionizing the tournament structure. Hope all goes well! I however would like to show some concern for the $5,000 prize pool since it's quite big...really. All-Star promised a $500 one and that was already considered grand-scale. Why $5,000 if I may ask?
Didn't osu become an esport? No?

*takes my leave*
Professor Gila
guess $5000 is enough :o

<div id="thug-life"></div>
Bauxe

Evrien wrote:

OWC is on a completely different level to All-Star. Pretty sure most of the All-Star games only got a few hundred viewers, OWC gets easily into the thousands (I think it even went above 10,000 in the grand final last year?).
Cyclohexane

Bauxe wrote:

Evrien wrote:

OWC is on a completely different level to All-Star. Pretty sure most of the All-Star games only got a few hundred viewers, OWC gets easily into the thousands (I think it even went above 10,000 in the grand final last year?).
We topped at 13k, if I'm remembering correctly.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Captains are a sole communication medium.
Captains do not need to end up in the team ultimatively, neither do they have to be present at every match. If our declared captain does want to play, they can pick 8 different players and declare a different captain.
Considering that in the past, all teams were created in a community consensus by figuring out together who will be in the team, we trust in the same mechanic here. Even if the captain delivers us the final player list and received the candidate list, most of them will decide by asking around instead of picking from their guts. Many will open a discussion publicly and make it a group decision as it always was. The only remnant is that the declared captain is our messenger.

We had several issues in particular communities being super bitchy about who is the captain, who gets in the team, even forming two parallel teams and I had to decide who ends up in the cup. This is bullshit and pointless drama. (Right Ryosuke-? You were causing this bullcrap in France last year)

Declaring captains as messenger and (in some cases) final call makers, we can avoid any sort of needless team creation drama and make everything run smoothly and fair. We always aim to pick captains that are reasonable, accessible and totally not focused on their circle jerk only. Being captain in the past without issues promotes you for the position, but does not guarantee it. The choices of captains will land on people that we consider to make the most fair and organized decision.

The individual registrations allow us to do the rule violation checks without crushing team rosters over and over again. We can avoid the entire hassle and move the team creation AFTER everyone was filtered. This avoids the 500 times of "I fixed my roster, here is the new". With this new approach, you can only pick from the candidates list and your team will be safe to be created in any case.
Moreover it allows countries to form teams that would otherwise never be able to create a team, because they are unaware of each other. We had potential teams of Mongolia, Israel, Venezuela, Vietnam and other places in the previous world cups.

Ah yeah, the only downside is, when less than 8 people pass the filters for a country. Usually the countries are weaker and maybe don't end up in the last 32, but sometimes they do. Then all players just get mocked up in one team and we declare a captain, but as always, they can switch around this position as they want. If you have less than 8 people in your country validly registering, there is not much to choose from a list...

OWC Grand Finals peaked in Twitch at #5 most viewed worldwide across all games and peaked momentarily to 16-20,000 viewers, having over 150 000 unique viewers across the entire tournament. (I should recheck that, I don't have the numbers in mind anymore)
AmaiHachimitsu
1 Month supporter for 3rd place never forget OWC 2013
buny
Can we try get two map pools for the finals this time?

It kind of sucks watching the two finalists go through the same map pools in the second game
Topic Starter
Loctav
We are planning with one mappool for both weeks.
Minhtam

buny wrote:

Can we try get two map pools for the finals this time?

It kind of sucks watching the two finalists go through the same map pools in the second game
Would be really hard to do with the lack of 6.5* maps around.
He Ang CTB

Decon082 wrote:

Well I think CTB works well with both Combo-dominated and Accuracy-dominated scoring system D: Since a droplet is worth as much accuracy as an actual fruit combo, it's not fair for people who caught the combos in rhythm and lose some droplets due to control issue and get penalised equally as someone who lost rhythm and caught the droplets, that kind of defeats the purpose of a rhythm game. But on the flip side, people take accuracy in CTB for granted since literally a it has the least score value of only 10, thus many players can just blatantly ignore droplets all they want, they can miss a thousand droplets and have one combo more and still be ahead than another player with no droplet misses but 1 combo less, that's like in Osu!Standard terms, a 1000 combo map FC'ed with 1000 50s would still weigh millions ahead of a 999 combo of 300s with a miss at the end, accuracy shouldn't be disregarded as the least important factor in any game mode, also not to mention on maps like Yoiyami Hanabi SS is a whole lot better than S and should be awarded as accordingly when people are skilled enough to catch all the little things.

My long wall of text opinion as always D:
He Ang CTB
I have an idea about the Accuracy VS Combo weightage adjustment!! How about we have some formular that goes similarly to:
(Percentage Accuracy)^20 x Map Score x SS Bonus (1.06 times score multiplier) = Final Score

E.g. Team A = Players 1 to 4 Team B = Players 5 to 8

Player 1:
Map Score: 10,000,000 (no miss + a few 100s)
Accuracy: 98.32% (98.32%^20 = 0.71258618367)
Final Score: 7,125,862

Player 2:
Map Score: 10,170,871 (SS)
Accuracy: 100.00% (x1.06)
Final Score: 10,781,123

Player 3:
Map Score: 9,758,951 (no miss + full of 100s & 50s B rank)
Accuracy: 95.95% (95.95%^20 = 0.43742095198)
Final Score: 4,268,770

Player 4: (Disconnected)
Map Score: 0
Accuracy: 0.00%
Final Score: 0

Team A Total Score: 22,176,755

Player 5:
Map Score: 10,156,632 (no miss + 1 less 100 than Player 1)
Accuracy: 98.55% (98.55%^20 = 0.74667665341)
Final Score: 7,583,720

Player 6:
Map Score: 7,900,000 (1x miss + all 300s)
Accuracy: 99.86% (99.86%^20 = 0.97236929036)
Final Score: 7,681,717

Player 7:
Map Score: 7,900,000 (1x miss + all 300s)
Accuracy: 99.86% (99.86%^20 = 0.97236929036)
Final Score: 7,681,717

Player 8: (Failed)
Map Score: 0
Accuracy: 0.00%
Final Score: 0

Team B Total Score: 22,947,154

Team B wins the map by 770,399 points \o/ (3.47% more score than Team A)

The numerical values of the multipliers and exponents and even the format & functions etc are not fixed XD They are just random examples of how having a formular that evens out the Combo VS Accuracy power struggle can make the matches themselves and their end results contain more suspense and anticipation, thus more exciting and unexpected :3
tfg50
No... just no....
Giving a bonus for a SS is stupid and a changing map score that isn't defined until the end is also kinda unnecessary.
That also doesn't take combo into account and the drop from low acc is too huge. A 80% score fc would mean nothing, you could get a 99% with tons of misses and you would get a score that's over 70 times bigger than the 80% fc (that's an extreme case that is not likely to happen but still...)
ztrot
for those asking about commentary, I will be looking do not ask those close to me or my friends! The fact I even have to bring this up is a bit sad but I will be making the call based on my own judgement. Have a good one folks~
fartownik
We just suggested some people that could do some good work here. I'm pretty sure none of the commentators involved here followed the All-Star tournament that I was talking about and noticed that you could use some of them as they're not just good at commentating live events during the game, but also have some good knowledge of players, maps and game mechanics in general. This tournament lacks casters like this.
He Ang CTB

tfg50 wrote:

No... just no....
Giving a bonus for a SS is stupid and a changing map score that isn't defined until the end is also kinda unnecessary.
That also doesn't take combo into account and the drop from low acc is too huge. A 80% score fc would mean nothing, you could get a 99% with tons of misses and you would get a score that's over 70 times bigger than the 80% fc (that's an extreme case that is not likely to happen but still...)
Firstly I don't understand what you meant by "changing map score that isn't defined until the end", my intent is to precisely tell that we should modifyr the score after the map is already over, could you re-phrase your point?
Secondly 80% accuracy in Standard is actually pretty bad :C And in all honesty especially in a tournament scenario if one's accuracy falls below 95% I can simply conclude generally that he/she is either not skilled enough at that stage or not able to practise the map diligently, and thus shall not rightfully emerge victorious. That's the philosophical cornerstone of the concept of competition in the first place.
Thirly Osu! as a rhythm game, where the rhythm element is measured by rate of accuracy and the game element is measured by proficiency in movement/reaction (AKA get combo), it makes little sense to weigh one above another, therefore I see the validity in the managements' decision to pull up the importance of accuracy even though players are used to being obsessed with combos and are reluctant to accept this change however reasonable.

Last but not least back to my own point in my previous post, I would like to clarify once more that I've stated CLEARLY in bold that all numerical values and functions are just EXAMPLES for illustration purposes only, to help readers understand through usage of analogies about how a score formular helps to balance out the issues with combo and accuracy, and how the multipliers and exponents stated above are NOT FINALISED or NON-NEGOTIABLE or even necessary in the first place :x My intent is to present the idea of formulars, not to get nitty-gritty with the technicality of the values involved. If you wish to argue that formulars are bad ideas, please stay on point on why formulars are bad. Anyway just to add on, everything in Osu! is pretty much calculated by formulars, like scores, accuracy, pp, even the basic model of 50% acc 50% combo is also a formular, but just too simplistic in my opinion to work fairly, which is why I suggested a more complex formular. To me there are only 2 ways to go about this: One is to stick with the old model of score wins and score only, or two get a good enough formular that makes thing fair and fun for the most, it's really that simple D:
uee
While I have no problems with any of the commentators, nor am I saying that they should be scrapped, having three people with the max rank of about 14k talk about players who are usually under rank 1k is a bit silly. Having Raiku last year to commentate made things a lot better for me.
ztrot
don't sweat it I make sure we have pro's and those who are well versed in the respective game mode, not to mention some of these players were not so low in ranking as they are today that doesn't make there understanding of the game change at all.
Evrien

Minifrij wrote:

While I have no problems with any of the commentators, nor am I saying that they should be scrapped, having three people with the max rank of about 14k talk about players who are usually under rank 1k is a bit silly. Having Raiku last year to commentate made things a lot better for me.
I second this notion. While ztrot can make up for the gap in skills using his experience, I don't think this should be the case for all commentators. I casted for All-Star and OCWT and know how valuable the opinion from someone of a higher rank is - they see maps differently and can sometimes point to very interesting details that would remain invisible to a mundane player's eyes.

And I'm certain that there will be players in the community willing to jump in for OWC. So if this is a viable, please consider this.
-Ryosuke

Loctav wrote:

We had several issues in particular communities being super bitchy about who is the captain, who gets in the team, even forming two parallel teams and I had to decide who ends up in the cup. This is bullshit and pointless drama. (Right Ryosuke-? You were causing this bullcrap in France last year)
If you had several issues, don't name me, or anyone else by the way. Everyone moved on, quoting someone from something that happened last year isn't a good way to start any tournament. If someone who was involved is still upset about that last owc, I am open to any discussion. So far my case was only related to who gets to be captain, good thing you now choose. Wish that World Cup to be successful.
Frostmourne

fartownik wrote:

We just suggested some people that could do some good work here. I'm pretty sure none of the commentators involved here followed the All-Star tournament that I was talking about and noticed that you could use some of them as they're not just good at commentating live events during the game, but also have some good knowledge of players, maps and game mechanics in general. This tournament lacks casters like this.
Second this here, commentators should be top players or above average players who have caught up most what is going on among the top players in these days. They should be well known by the community as well along with their experiences and reputation. Getting some of well known streamers who are capable in their English and experienced in today maps wouldn't hurt. No offense, not saying that deadbeat, Tasha and ztrot are incapable in the sense of commentator, but do they really know what players actually feel like when they are competing? do they know what part of the particular maps will be crucial, difficult, peaked or combo breakers for most of players so that it can be more entertaining during the matches if they add up? do they know how well each player is good or bad at when discussing during the breaks? do they know what is going on among the top players in general? These 3 commentators aren't close to what can be considered good players. I don't think they actually have the knowledge in general as they could be busy moderating as staffs rather than playing competitively.
AmaiHachimitsu
Some players have nothing interesting to do after their matches end so they could prove to be useful as caster's guests. A quick interviews would also be possible between the breaks. I guess there's this paranoia that the player X will shout out Heil Loctav! or any other insult.
They won't
Azlynn_old
Hey guys I'm not really known around here yet but I've been around other rhythm games for quite some time. I can totally understand why you all think of higher level players as commentators but you have to remember it's not just about the higher level players. Commentators are catering to all different skill levels including people who may have never played the game before and are watching for the first time. Of course those commentating should definitely have a good knowledge of the game, but they really don't need to have good skill at it to be a good commentator. It's mostly about being able to hype up the crowd and working well together as a team. If you just throw anyone on and they don't work well together, the commentary isn't going to be that great.

Please don't take this as me saying no higher level player should be added on or anything, just wanted to voice that it's not just about a person's skill level when it comes to commentary <3
Arf

Azlynn wrote:

Hey guys I'm not really known around here yet but I've been around other rhythm games for quite some time. I can totally understand why you all think of higher level players as commentators but you have to remember it's not just about the higher level players. Commentators are catering to all different skill levels including people who may have never played the game before and are watching for the first time. Of course those commentating should definitely have a good knowledge of the game, but they really don't need to have good skill at it to be a good commentator. It's mostly about being able to hype up the crowd and working well together as a team. If you just throw anyone on and they don't work well together, the commentary isn't going to be that great.

Please don't take this as me saying no higher level player should be added on or anything, just wanted to voice that it's not just about a person's skill level when it comes to commentary <3
Seconded. ;)
Otherwise I have no chance. :P
fartownik

Azlynn wrote:

Watch past OWC matches and then compare them with the recent All-Star ones.
Halogen-

fartownik wrote:

Watch past OWC matches and then compare them with the recent All-Star ones.

Extrapolating recent instances of something to prove your point doesn't make your point any stronger.

The fact of the matter is that it absolutely does not require players of extreme skill to commentate. You need charismatic individuals who are willing to learn about the necessary aspects of the game to talk about them as they happen. Having someone who is extremely well versed in the technical side of things will make commentary sound more professional, but too much of it will make it sound foreign to people who don't play the game as much. If what I'm hearing in the thread is true, this tournament typically racks up tens of thousands of viewers at one given time, and I'd be willing to guarantee that not all of them are savants at the game, either.

Someone also made a good point too: there's a risk with letting irresponsible people commentate, and there are a number of individuals in this thread expressing interest that have already shown pretty noticeable signs of immaturity.
JappyBabes

Halogen- wrote:

Extrapolating recent instances of something to prove your point doesn't make your point any stronger.

The fact of the matter is that it absolutely does not require players of extreme skill to commentate. You need charismatic individuals who are willing to learn about the necessary aspects of the game to talk about them as they happen. Having someone who is extremely well versed in the technical side of things will make commentary sound more professional, but too much of it will make it sound foreign to people who don't play the game as much. If what I'm hearing in the thread is true, this tournament typically racks up tens of thousands of viewers at one given time, and I'd be willing to guarantee that not all of them are savants at the game, either.

Someone also made a good point too: there's a risk with letting irresponsible people commentate, and there are a number of individuals in this thread expressing interest that have already shown pretty noticeable signs of immaturity.
No.
Arf
If it's All-Star we're talking about, if anything, it proves the point that rank and skill isn't everything when it comes to commentating. There's Forz, who has exceptional skill in many different aspects of the game, and that shows in his casting, there's Evrien, who is reasonably high-ranked and definitely knows what he's talking about, there's also Monz, who, despite not having a "top-tier" rank, has already been mentioned and is in fact a brilliant caster. All three are at different levels in terms of gameplay skill and yet they are all amazing commentators, if only because they bring different flavors to the table. It's important to remember that as long as you know enough about the game, technical aspects aren't the only thing to focus on as a caster, you'll have to talk for a while and being able to manage that time without becoming boring is very important, particularly if your audience is 5 digits strong.

show more