forum

osu! World Cup 2015 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loctav

Wiki | Livestream

Welcome to the osu! World Cup 2015 Discussion Thread.
Here you can discuss everything related to the biggest worldwide osu! tournament.
Trosk-
Hype \:D/
Natsu
\o/ Hype

pick my maps :D, ok no :oops:
plaatinum

wat
_lesu
Yey finally :D
Enon

wat
Nwolf
Crissinop
Hype guys! Finally.. it has come!
Gigo
Oh wow, it's THAT time of the year again. OWC 2013 was amazing, OWC 2014... not so much. I can't wait to see what this year's edition has in store for us!
Endaris
Hype \o
The Artwork looks splendid to me :)
Tatch

fuck
Te Amo
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
Jonimay

Enon wrote:

wat
legend1005
hype ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ
Bauxe
I don't get why people are confused about the change to the scoring system, it is probably the most requested thing relating to OWC.
Athrun
Hm. Skystar choosing the mappools. This will be interesting >:D
fedoragoose

Bauxe wrote:

I don't get why people are confused about the change to the scoring system, it is probably the most requested thing relating to OWC.
While I do understand the change and agree that this will definitely be an improvement to the viewing experience, I don't like it at all. The reason scoring is very combo heavy is because the hardest aspect of the game is supposed to get rewarded the most. For example, in osu!mania combo doesn't do anything at all because you could literally just spam all your buttons and still keep combo, while not paying ANY attention to rhythm, while in standard reading might as well be the single most important skill in the game. I do understand that a "random miss" on a map you performed extremely well on can ruin the whole score, but being able to stay focused while playing is IMO the most difficult aspect of the game.

Then again, I might be biased since my own playstyle and the way I read sacrifices accuracy in order to maintain stable aim and combo. And also they haven't released any specific information on how scoring will work yet, so it might not be as tremendous as I am anticipating it.
Topic Starter
Loctav
You should wait until we actually release how the scoring works before you make assumptions about it.
CXu
Would be nice to know that before signing up to a tournament though, you know :P
Topic Starter
Loctav

CXu wrote:

Would be nice to know that before signing up to a tournament though, you know :P
it's still in heavy testing, hence why I gave you a rough tendency where it will go. I am sorry that we were unable to deliver concrete details sooner.
Cyclohexane
Man, can you believe this?

Every year.

Every year they forget about me.
CXu

Loctav wrote:

CXu wrote:

it's still in heavy testing, hence why I gave you a rough tendency where it will go. I am sorry that we were unable to deliver concrete details sooner.
For now it's probably still okay. It sucks, so it's something that hopefully doesn't happen next year (since last owc we also had the problem of not knowing some things in advance, which resulted in everything being blown out of proportions last year too). The best would be if you could get these things finalized before the registrations end though. Those who register should be able to expect the rules to be what they register for, so yeah.

Anyhow, good luck with testing and finalizing these things~
Topic Starter
Loctav

Mr Color wrote:

Man, can you believe this?

Every year.

Every year they forget about me.
Oh, you won't commentate. Don't even bother.
Wishy
Oh my god I can't play because I'm lower than 5k hueuhehu.
Nakano Itsuki
I dont know if it's appropriate to do so, but I somehow think that for one or two matches, some streamers or well known osu commentators on Twitch can be asked to commentate on a match or two.

Just to bring some freshness to the streams imo, apart from the usual ones :P
Topic Starter
Loctav

StarrStyx wrote:

I dont know if it's appropriate to do so, but I somehow think that for one or two matches, some streamers or well known osu commentators on Twitch can be asked to commentate on a match or two.

Just to bring some freshness to the streams imo, apart from the usual ones :P
Thanks for the input! We will consider this option internally and figure something out, if we deem this as feasable.

CXu wrote:

For now it's probably still okay. It sucks, so it's something that hopefully doesn't happen next year (since last owc we also had the problem of not knowing some things in advance, which resulted in everything being blown out of proportions last year too). The best would be if you could get these things finalized before the registrations end though. Those who register should be able to expect the rules to be what they register for, so yeah.
I absolutely agree and I tried my best to whip the devs harder, but it wasnt possible to release the complete thing just in time. I actually wanted it to be done and dandy right before we open the sign-ups, but this was out of my reach haha
Cyclohexane
Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
Topic Starter
Loctav

Mr Color wrote:

Well, I take it you have enough people that you don't need me anymore then, godspeed o\
We didn't need you for past 3 world cups. So, no. You can resume playing steam games now.
Minhtam

plaatinum wrote:

wat
In before this new scoring system is globally implemented for all of osu
Deif
OWC Group Stage again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
Musty
I just hope that this scoring system won't be as bad as mania's. Indeed, I honestly feel like it's the worst for tourneys, why?
Because you cant make advantages of players' consistency in terms of comboeing (not sure about the correct word to use there). Before, in team based tourneys there have been a lots of tight match that has been disputed throughout maps because people had combos while other had not. I honestly feel like consistency is what people want to see, they want amazing combos more than "amazing accuracy" which is not relevant on long songs.. holding combos is harder in tournament than holding accuracy IN MY OPINION.
Well, i think i am pretty confused in what i say, but if it appears to be close to mania's score system, then i highly disagree with your choices.
Topic Starter
Loctav

Musty wrote:

I just hope that this scoring system won't be as bad as mania's. Indeed, I honestly feel like it's the worst for tourneys, why?
Because you cant make advantages of players' consistency in terms of comboeing (not sure about the correct word to use there). Before, in team based tourneys there have been a lots of tight match that has been disputed throughout maps because people had combos while other had not. I honestly feel like consistency is what people want to see, they want amazing combos more than "amazing accuracy" which is not relevant on long songs.. holding combos is harder in tournament than holding accuracy IN MY OPINION.
Well, i think i am pretty confused in what i say, but if it appears to be close to mania's score system, then i highly disagree with your choices.
As we stated here: https://twitter.com/ppy/status/649599477586636800

It won't be like mania. In mania, combo does not matter at all. We do not plan that. Rather, we just want to take away the weightening of combo >> all. Combo will have a significant impact, but it won't be exponentially outgrowing the score, so even if your accuracy is shit, you will be like miles ahead of people who just missed once. However, combo will definitely matter, we just adjust the balance between how heavy Combo impacts the score and how you can compensate singular drops by accuracy instead.
uee

Loctav wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

We didn't need you for past 3 world cups. So, no. You can resume playing steam games now.
Bit of a harsh thing to say to the person who did the majority of the commentating of the last few years, is it not?

Still, looking forward to this year! Will we be getting any pro players commentating like last year? That would be good.
Musty
Thanks for the clarification Loctav, it seems interesting then.
Kert
I'd listen to Mr.Color every OWC
Please continue
fartownik
Wtf is this thing about Color, he was actually the best commentator with at least some knowledge about the standard players for all past tournaments.

Btw, you should consider taking in some new commentators. People like Evrien, lolimonz, Doomsday and others were really great during the All-Star tournament that took place not long time ago and could bring some great quality into this tournament as well.
Cyclohexane

Loctav wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

But I don't even have steam!
juankristal

Deif wrote:

OWC Group Stage again NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
HUEHUEHUEHU

Hypeee ! :D:D:D
Topic Starter
Loctav

fartownik wrote:

Wtf is this thing about Color, he was actually the best commentator with at least some knowledge about the standard players for all past tournaments.

Btw, you should consider taking in some new commentators. People like Evrien, lolimonz, Doomsday and others were really great during the All-Star tournament that took place not long time ago and could bring some great quality into this tournament as well.

ztrot is making the final calls here. Make them contact him to sort it out.
show more