forum

Inactivity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jeffrey
So because of my studies and exams, I've decided to take a 2 months break from osu! until after my exams. I've uninstalled the game for the time being (because I lack self-control, this is the best method for me, but definitely not quitting). But one thing that worries me is that I'm afraid after two months of inactivity, my muscle memory, and hence my aiming and my tapping consistency, would drop significantly. I feel that it's quite a waste, seeing that I've developed my muscle memory over a time span of a year plus, just to revert back to my standard 2 or 3 months ago. But then again, by having the chance to relearn everything, it also might give a chance for me to push myself further than my current standard, and maybe bring me out of my slump.

So should I reinstall the game and play a few songs per day, just to maintain my muscle memory as it is, or should I just leave it untouched until after 2 months and relearn everything again? I'm really not sure if relearning would bring more benefits than disadvantages.
leepdesu
studies and exams > osu

even after 2 months i'm sure it'll take you at most 1 to 2 weeks to get back the skills to where you are now
Endaris

-LeeP- wrote:

studies and exams > osu

even after 2 months i'm sure it'll take you at most 1 to 2 weeks to get back the skills to where you are now
rather 2-3 hours, even if you stayed abstinent from computers for years i don't think it would take you long to regain your skillz
Topic Starter
Jeffrey

Endaris wrote:

-LeeP- wrote:

studies and exams > osu

rather 2-3 hours, even if you stayed abstinent from computers for years i don't think it would take you long to regain your skillz
Not sure about that though, there are some days when I didn't play for 2 or 3 days and my pen grip and tapping hand totally doesn't feel in place.
Either that or I was just tired but point's there.
Endaris
But even if it didn't feel in place, you were probably still able to play better than I do.
thelewa did a 347pp play soon after he came back from his forced 8 month rsi-break so it can't be that bad really.
You're just addicted to osu! and try to find reasons to play during your preparation for exams :D
I can relate very well to that but just don't do that if you're seriously concerned about your exams.
Topic Starter
Jeffrey

Endaris wrote:

You're just addicted to osu! and try to find reasons to play during your preparation for exams :D
I can relate very well to that but just don't do that if you're seriously concerned about your exams.
Haha I do openly admit that I'm addicted.
And I'm proud of my addiction too.
ZenithPhantasm
School and life>osu
Also I dont even feel like playing osu anymore. Only here to shitpost
I Give Up
Just keep your tablet settings and your muscle memory will be fine after 2 month break. You'll even slightly improve over the next few days coz sleep learning.
Risa
If u can save ur life from this game dont hesitate
ZenithPhantasm

Reset- wrote:

If u can save ur life from this game dont hesitate
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mahogany
I think you're good enough to not experience significant skill losses from not playing the game for a while, OP.

Hell, I tend to be better when I come back from a break.
Topic Starter
Jeffrey
Another thing I'm worried about is that my AR10 reading would de-prove. I was able to read triplets and streams, but that's only after a few weeks if intense HR so I'm not sure if my reading would return after a break
Endaris
Stop searching for excuses, just uninstall.

I can also confirm what Maho said, a long break improves your skill if you played intensively up to it.
I recently had a break of roughly 10 days and hey, guess what, immediately FCd some shit I tried to for a good while before.
E m i
why not both, ezpz unless you have 0 seconds of free time or want to do other things.
Infevo
osu! is love. osu! is life. <3
GoldenWolf
Every consistent player have gone back slightly less or just as good as they were before quitting

I mean consistent in their playstyle, or maybe adaptative too. Either you're consistent at knowing how to use your hardware and technique, either you can easily adapt to new/small changes. In both cases, those players have little to no issue to get back to their level pre-hiatus

You may or may not be one of those players
Yuii-

GoldenWolf wrote:

Every consistent player have gone back slightly less or just as good as they were before quitting

I mean consistent in their playstyle, or maybe adaptative too. Either you're consistent at knowing how to use your hardware and technique, either you can easily adapt to new/small changes. In both cases, those players have little to no issue to get back to their level pre-hiatus

GoldenWolf's tracker...

DA MA TA RA
Diony
A break would probably help in the long run, but it won't take long to regain the minuscule amount of skill you'll lose.
abraker

Endaris wrote:

I recently had a break of roughly 10 days and hey, guess what, immediately FCd some shit I tried to for a good while before.
Can so relate. Why is "play more" relevant again?
Endaris

abraker wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Can so relate. Why is "play more" relevant again?
Because the sleep-bonus won't trigger unless you played more before the break.
I Give Up
Play more then take break then come back stronger.
vsprite
if u are gud, u wil stay gud, and get ur rank bak ez.
StephOsu

Endaris wrote:

Stop searching for excuses, just uninstall.
plz enjoy gemu or don't play gemu
pandaBee
It would probably be good to play at least once a week, just to keep the ole fingers warmed and limber, but if you're addicted then this isn't an option. Uninstall and never come back.
E m i
Yes playing rarely/sometimes/whatever is the worst option, I recommend either quitting completely or committing entirely
B1rd

Momiji wrote:

Yes playing rarely/sometimes/whatever is the worst option, I recommend either quitting completely or committing entirely
I call it shitplaying

and is probably why I have more hits than some people in the top100
Karuta-_old_1

GoldenWolf wrote:

Osu! is not one of those games where you miss out when you don't play, whatever skills you have developed before would come back

currently waiting for rrtyui when he comes back
GoldenWolf
Yes, but it may or may not take some time before getting your level back
The Gambler
Either go home and play osu! (which I haven't done in a week), or participate for the varsity fencing tryouts at my uni (which I'm interested in but have no experience whatsoever).

Picking one or the other will define my addiction to osu!
Arctic
speaking from past experience, i quit about a year ago (maybe may 2014ish) and i just came back 4 weeks ago and it took me about 1 week to become level again with how i used to play and now 4 weeks after starting i can see many improvements.