forum

Gamemode: osu!DIVA

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Hey there, i proudly present you a new Gamemode: osu!DIVA, that i've been working on for quite some time.
Well even though i say "Gamemode", it's actually a "faked Gamemode". This Mode will be working via storyboards and forces you to use a certain skin to play it.
The Gamemode itself is a "non 1:1" copy of the Project DIVA games, here is a Preview Video to show you, what it looks like.

So... What is the difference between osu!DIVA and other "Storyboard based maps" like M2U - BlythE (Osaka)?
- Well the main difference is, that every1 can create their own Osu!Diva Maps and share them here, i created a Program in C++, which will create the whole storyboard for your maps, here is a Mapping Tutorial about how this works:

Mapping Tutorial
(The following instruction is just temporary, i will recreate the Mapping Tutorial .png with a proper and actual Tutorial Later)
Changes:
There are 2 Options to create the storyboard now.
Old: The 1. one is the automatic generated Storyboard, you can check the png below for more Information. (This is a good Option to save some work, but the storyboard gets worse and worse the more difficult it becomes, so i would only request it for Easy - Normal Diffs.
New: The 2nd one is a Manual storyboard Note placement.
We will use the osu!std Editor to use this Option, to do this you have to create a new difficulty with your "finished Mania 8k Version", change the Gamemode to Standard and keep the Notes.
The Editor will keep the Timings for each Note into the new diff. The only thing we need from this new diff, are the Note Positions, you can ignore the rest.
These Notes you see, will determine the exact Positions, where the storyboard Elements will be created. Single Notes will become Normal Symbols. The Holds Position will become the "Start Position" of Sliders and there will be 2 normal Notes overlapped for Arrows, you can see these at the Top border, be careful here not to mistake them for 2 different Notes. You are free to delete one of the "stacked notes", you will only need one, which one doesn't matter.

After you've finished placing the Note Positions, then Copy /Paste the .osu File of the Mania difficulty into the Notes.txt File and the .osu File of the Std Difficulty into the Positions.txt File. Then you just have to use the executable and use the 2nd. Option.

What do i need?

This is quite simple:
- Download/use the Skin and the osu!DIVA maps.
- Activate Storyboards and reduce the Background Dim to 0.
- Setup your Key config for Osu!Diva

Key Config:
You can either play it with a joypad or the Keyboard (I personally play it with my XBox Controller).
To Set your config, you have to get into the "Osu!Mania Layout" Option and change your 8K Settings.
This is just an Setup Example, ofc you are free to use a different key setup.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Storyboard Creator

You will find all Information in the Mapping Tutorial Section.

Download Links
Storyboard Creator Version 2.1

Storyboard Creator Version 2.0
Storyboard Creator Version 1.2
Storyboard Creator Version 1.1
Storyboard Creator Version 1.0

Changelog
Version 2.1:
Storyboard Creator:
[Fixxed]: There was a problem, that the notes generated with the manuel placement always moved from left to right. This behaviour should be fixxed now.

Version 2.0:
Storyboard Creator:
[Added]: Manual Storyboard Positioning (see Mapping tutorial).
[Added]: Option Section in for the Storyboard Creator.
[Added]: Invalid Arrow placement Detection. You can deactivate this in the Option Section.
[Added]: Background Dim Setup for the Storyboard Creator. This Background Dim won't affect the gameplay Elements, just the Background and Videos, use it if they are too bright.
[Added]:Difficulty Detection "Exhaust" added.
[Removed]: Difficulty Detection "Another" Removed.
[Fixxed]: Bug fixxed, that caused the first Note to have the same Position for every Map.

Skin:
[Added]: Added a Sprite for the Background Dim.
[Change]: Kiai Time Notification Sprites reworked.
[Change]: Skin Elements size slightly reduced through compressing.
-Made by Yavi
[Change]: Difficulty Colours changed: Easy - Normal - Hard - Insane - Exhaust - Extreme

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Version 1.2:
[Added]: Auto include "osu!DIVA" into the tags, if it doesn't exist there or in the difficulty Name. So you can find all Maps by this Name.
[Fixxed]: Removed false behaviour for several Inherited Time Points, during a Kiai Time.
Version 1.1:
[Added]: Automatic Widescreen Setting.
[Added]: Automatic "Preffered Skin: Osu!DIVA" Setting.
[Fixxed]: Improved Visual Score detection for very fast maps.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skins

The Storyboard Positions and size may vary between different Resolutions (The Size should be fine, as long as you choose a Widescreen Resolution).
The Combo may become "uncentered" for several Resolutions, if that is the case, then you just have to Fixx it manually, open the Skin.ini and change the Line "ColumnStart: 350". Increase the Number to set the Position further right. You can refresh the Skin with "ctrl + Shift + alt + S" while you are in the Menu, then u won't need to restart osu to apply the changes.

All Storyboard Elements are inside the Osu!Diva Skin, in the "SB" Folder. Therefore you can change any Elements as you want to, you can even make your own Osu!Diva skin if you feel like it.

Download Link

---> Skin: osu!DIVA <---

09.16.2015: The skin has been updated, plz redownload it.

Beatmaps

Currently there are only a few maps, but with your Help, we can get a considerable amount of Beatmaps for Osu!Diva.
If you want your Osu!Diva maps to be inserted here, then just contact me (Ingame or Forum) or just post it in this Thread.
It's the same if you need any help.

This isn't the Final, just the Release Version. Anything in the Mode can be discussed and adjusted/changed i'm open for any suggestions (also for additions).
Also please report any aspects that u dislike or that needs a rework, otherwise i might also miss a few things :)

I also still have some features that i want to include during the next weeks/Months, feel free to add any suggestions.

Known Issues
• The visual Hold Scores are actually "fake Scores". The Scores are created via Storyboard Hitsound trigger, unfortunately there are no "hold Hitsound trigger" so i can't create real visual Scores. The visual Scores will detect your "start click" on Holds, not how long you hold them. But the real score works perfectly fine.

• The storyboards can cause huge performance drops in the Editor.

• A few People won't be able to play Long osu!Diva maps in Cutting Edge and Beta, your fps will drop to 1/10th of your normal performance after some time.
Some People only experience this drop for a single moment, others will keep it for the rest of the Map.
If you are one of the unlucky ones, then you have to play it in the stable Version.

• You are able to create additional storyboards for osu!DIVA maps (we recommend using .osu files instead of the already used .osb), but a false behaivour causes the beatmap's sprites to disappear during play. Uncheck "Ignore all beatmap skins" to solve this problem. - Koopa712

• You won't be able to play with Background Dim, cause the actual Gameplay Elements will be darkened as well.

• Some Kiai Times notifications have 1 Note missing, i'll try to find the cause for that.
Planned features
• Add an Option to choose, if you want to create your storyboard as .osu or as .osb File.
• Add a Star Rating Algorithm, to calculate the Star Rating.
• Add Note Highlighting.
• Add Movement Trails.
And more...

Source Code Release:

I always planned to clean up the source code and update/complete/improve the documentation to release the source code with a good feeling but well... because i didn't really find any time/motivation to do that in the past months i will just release it, like it is now :)

https://github.com/IamBaum/osu-DIVA-Code

I don't even know if there are any interested people to see the code at all, but i thought i will release it anyway, maybe there will be programmers who plan similiar game mode Projecets and this might help them slightly.
I know... about 2600 Lines of Code aren't easy to study, especially without a proper documentation and i'm also just a novice, so my coding is probably really dirty :D
But well... have fun with that and feel free to ask me any questions about the Source Code, i'll try to answer it all.

You are also free to use any code parts for your own projects.

Thanks to:
Yavi - He tried his best to find any kind of problems with my Storyboard creator program.
Brainpeeler - He was able to answer my questions regarding the original Project Diva.
Blaizer - He helped me during the early stage, when i still had to figure out, how to implement some of the mechanics.
Damnae - He gave me some important tipps regarding Storyboard - Hitsound Trigger.

Thanks to every1 who helped me with alpha/beta tests and those who always encouraged me to keep working on it (Especially the German Mania Community). I'd like to list all your names as well, but i'm afraid i would forget a few.
Yavi_old_1
I discontinued my help on this project because of several things: ~ Edited around new year
> Osu never runs for mac until i finally after (stupid spendet 6+ months or troubleshooting and bugfixing a Wine client to actually make it at least 60% playable)
... so you try and try daily to fix issues but lose completely the fun playing, have problems in your RL could not play on the MWC as you dreamed and other "nice" things >_>)
found bevor some days, a way to finally capture and stabilise the framerate - wich is here written :)
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/56460/start=1245p=4962330 ~ it workes on Yosemite but try it on El Captain, maybe it works maybe not...

> So the main reason was really to trying to help on a project where you barely can test anything and it made just so much stress and rly no fun after time
> Osu's engine is pretty closed, so Baum really had trouble finding a pretty nice solution to actually make it somehow to work (but you was still limited to 8 actions) ~ so there where no double key alternating like in the original Project Diva and also no Combo stars or other neat features >_<
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So i have to tell a big apologize to all of you waiting and helping here out as much as they can, but for me it makes no sense staying longer in Osu generally
~ well i will come some time online but i woun't stay here for long >.<

But don't worry, my love to Project Diva and VRSGs wount die so i switched to Malody,
And will give my best to make a full ported GameMode with some other Mapping Helping tools < 3

juankristal
THE HYPE IS REAL

Gratz Baum !
Feerum

juankristal wrote:

THE HYPE IS REAL
OH FINALLY! HYPE

Grats Baum :)

I hope this will me a great success!
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Thanks every1
Kurokami
I just tried it and its really entertaining. Good work. Its a shame that the editor is not included yet though. q.q
Topic Starter
IamBaum

Kurokami wrote:

I just tried it and its really entertaining. Good work. Its a shame that the editor is not included yet though. q.q
Thanks i will try to include it tomorrow, also i need to map more Easy diffs, it's really hard to play the Normal diffs so early :)
peppy
Great job on this! I'm not a fan of the diva games in the first place (game mechanics are shit) but this plays nicely.
Topic Starter
IamBaum

peppy wrote:

Great job on this! I'm not a fan of the diva games in the first place (game mechanics are shit) but this plays nicely.
Thanks alot :)
Kurokami
I'm playing with keyboard so its hard to get used but actually I think its not that hard. What you need now is a correct spread. As I noticed Easy has no both key note but Normal already has a "lot", it would be nice to introduce them with a fewer number first. Something like the introduction of jumps in CtB.
Topic Starter
IamBaum

Kurokami wrote:

I'm playing with keyboard so its hard to get used but actually I think its not that hard. What you need now is a correct spread. As I noticed Easy has no both key note but Normal already has a "lot", it would be nice to introduce them with a fewer number first. Something like the introduction of jumps in CtB.
Ya that's actually a good idea, i thought about "not using arrows" on easy diffs, cause they might be too hard for that, but it might be a better idea to use them in very easy situations to learn them, or maybe less often in normals.
Reiko

peppy wrote:

Even though u aren't a fan of the diva games is there a chance that this will be implemented in the near future if this gets popular?

Gratz Baumi hope the effort was worth it :)
OnosakiHito
Suddenly Normal. I don't want to know how the difficulty "Hard" is! aaaaa
I'm not a fan of project diva either but great job on this! Will try mapping once the guide is out.
Reiko
Baum in Cutting Edge the lag after ~ 2/3 of this map still occurs :(
- Marco -
I'm speechless, this is awesome :D
Blaizer
Cool to see this finally done. Looks great!
Trosk-
This looks really cool! Good job :P
Sieg
amazing
Fubukicat
Hello there , Super hyped by this .

So , I just come to point out something
so , yeah , things is based on video , Playing something like this whithout video would be kinda like eating a chocolate bread without chocolate xD
what I mean , Basically I have eyes problem with Brightness , so I'm forced to play all games mode with atleast 50% ( tho I use like 98% all mode)
In case the thing is not well explained : Here is what I talk about

So , since the notes are linked to playfield brightness , if I want to play I can't barely see what is happening cause of too much light , and if I try to make it dark I won't see the notes appearing at all . ( I tried the 50% effect too and it didn't changed much )
so well , Super cool stuff there , I don't know if it can help but just wanted to point that one out , Not sure if well explained hawa ;w;

Gogogo~~ have a nice day ^^/
Poku
Looks good, works great. thanks for sharing, awesome job ^.^
Rori Vidi Veni
This informative post will be deleted anyway, just move along
Bara-
Awesome
Can't wait till I can actually test it out
MapleSyrup-
I really need the program to create the storyboard for osu!diva :(
Topic Starter
IamBaum
Alright the Thead has been Updated:
• Storyboard Creator added.
• Mapping Tutorial added.
• Known Issues Section added.
• Planned Features Section added.

@Reikokaz
Yes i'm afraid i found no solution for that, i added it to the known Issues.

@Eternalie
Yes i'ts kinda unfortunate that u can't use the Background Dim for osu!DIVA Maps, i added it to known issues.

Edit:
• I changed the name from Osu! Diva to osu!DIVA and i reuploadet all files.
• The osu!DIVA skin has been added as preferred skin to the maps, so you won't even need to use the skin, as long as you didn't activate "Ignore all Beatmap skins."
MapleSyrup-
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3656092
I have to spam the key for a million times unlike in project diva, you cant alternate between arrow keys and buttons
Topic Starter
IamBaum

-BlueFire- wrote:

I have to spam the key for a million times unlike in project diva, you cant alternate between arrow keys and buttons
I definitely understand you, i also have the urge to alternate between keys, due to my Mania mapping experience.
I don't know which song needs such a large Snake, but you might also try to alternate between 2 keys, for example X, O, X, O, X, O, i think this might not be "alot harder" cause it's still easy to read, this might give u a slighty larger possibilty to vary between patterns.
But i also still lack mapping experience for this mode :)

Edit:
Ahh i misunderstood you. Yep That's unfortunate that you can't alternate between the Symbol and Directional Key.
Yavi_old_1

-BlueFire- wrote:

-BlueFire-
Originaly in Project DIVA there where mostly "spamming" or "jacking" (like most of us saying) common, but until a limit of 4-6 notes (depends on the pattern beat snapping)
Sure you can make a whole jacking map, but come on.... that's absolutly no fun playing it ;)

May you misunderstood some parts of the tutorial, or just saw a wrong gameplay :)

But pD has some variations....
True there are some double/quad jacks sometimes but it's for the rythm and not for the difficult :P

PS: If you mean the Star or KIAI Jacks, that hold on some pattern like this here:
https://youtu.be/59gyQAhFqnE?t=1m21s

We sadly can not import the 2 joysticks for the stars, so there must a little bit of jacking, to have the same effect ^-^

This is normal bevor a KIAI Time :)
But as i said....keep a variation

> We are looking forward for your beatmap, so keep doing your best :)
Yavi_old_1

IamBaum wrote:

-BlueFire- wrote:

I definitely understand you, i also have the urge to alternate between keys, due to my Mania mapping experience.
I don't know which song needs such a large Snake, but you might also try to alternate between 2 keys, for example X, O, X, O, X, O, i think this might not be "alot harder" cause it's still easy to read, this might give u a slighty larger possibilty to vary between patterns.
But i also still lack mapping experience for this mode :)
I really think -BlueFire- means the stars bevor the Technical Zone / KIAI Time :)
MapleSyrup-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n4imt44awer6 ... u.osz?dl=0
Hatsune Miku no Gekishou from Project Diva 2nd, but since I cant rearrange where notes should be like in original Project Diva game, this is all I could do.
Now you guys understand why there's a snake lol

Edit: Now going to make appropriate map

NOTE:
mp3 and BG from here: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/22672
Yavi_old_1

-BlueFire- wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n4imt44awer6p1/Hatsune%20Miku%20-%20Hatsune%20Miku%20no%20Gekishou.osz?dl=0
Hatsune Miku no Gekishou from Project Diva 2nd, but since I cant rearrange where notes should be like in original Project Diva game, this is all I could do.

NOTE:
> Yeah i know it .-.
I'll hope Baum could implement a osu like "drawing +/- Y/X Square... where you can set up the place of your note positions

But you can try generate another Storyboard until it fits the song good enough :^
Topic Starter
IamBaum

-BlueFire- wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n4imt44awer6p1/Hatsune%20Miku%20-%20Hatsune%20Miku%20no%20Gekishou.osz?dl=0

NOTE:
Ahh i just played it, ya i understand why u would need that alternation it's so hard to Jack that :D
But it was a fun one, i will put it in the front Thread, thanks for your map.
Yavi_old_1

IamBaum wrote:

-BlueFire- wrote:

NOTE:
Ahh i just played it, ya i understand why u would need that alternation it's so hard to Jack that :D
But it was a fun one, i will put it in the front Thread, thanks for your map.

GUYS i found another PROBLEM... A BIG ONE >.<

And Baum just give me about 30 min, i'll send you the fix for it

> Currently the hitsounds i gave you (the original from pD with the little hall) are overlapping with new triggered sample, and your converter only triggers the secound note >,<''
I'll try to troubleshoot the exact lengh for the hitsounds, and share you the new version

Sry IamBaum, but you need to update the playing skin >.<

EDIT:
Play the -BlueFire- 's Beatmap in the Editor with auto (Tab) to see it >->
Topic Starter
IamBaum

Yavi wrote:

> Currently the hitsounds i gave you (the original from pD with the little hall) are overlapping with new triggered sample, and your converter only triggers the secound note >,<''
I'll try to troubleshoot the exact lengh for the hitsounds, and share you the new version

EDIT:
Don't worry your hitsound isn't the problem, it can't cause this kind of Problem. These 200 BPM combined with OD 0 causes this. Let me try to explain this:
The Visual Scores react to the Kind of Hitsound you click. For Example "Show Cool, when there is a Normal Clap between Offset 1000 - 1020", there are these kind of timings for each kind of Score. Therefore the Actual hit window is +-151,5ms for every Note for OD0. I programmed it in a way, that every Column rotates between 2 different Hitsounds, therefore the 2nd Note won't trigger his Score, if it lies inside this Hit window BUT the 3rd Note will trigger it. To make an Example. If you have a Note at Offset 1000. The Score of all "Normal Claps" will be triggerd, that lies between 848,5ms and 1151,5ms. If the 3rd Note also lies within this Hit window than you will see that exact Problem.
To be honest i didn't expect it to happen, i will let every Column rotate between 3 different hitsounds now, that should probably solve it until... maybe BPM 300 ^^
Edit:
But thanks for pointing it out, i didn't notice it while testplaying.
I will fixx it soon, probably tomorrow, sry for the circumstance.
Yavi_old_1

IamBaum wrote:

Yavi wrote:

EDIT:
Don't worry your hitsound isn't the problem, it can't cause this kind of Problem. These 200 BPM combined with OD 0 causes this. Let me try to explain this:
The Visual Scores react to the Kind of Hitsound you click. For Example "Show Cool, when there is a Normal Clap between Offset 1000 - 1020", there are these kind of timings for each kind of Score. Therefore the Actual hit window is +-151,5ms for every Note for OD0. I programmed it in a way, that every Column rotates between 2 different Hitsounds, therefore the 2nd Note won't trigger his Score, if it lies inside this Hit window BUT the 3rd Note will trigger it. To make an Example. If you have a Note at Offset 1000. The Score of all "Normal Claps" will be triggerd, that lies between 848,5ms and 1151,5ms. If the 3rd Note also lies within this Hit window than you will see that exact Problem.
To be honest i didn't expect it to happen, i will let every Column rotate between 3 different hitsounds now, that should probably solve it until... maybe BPM 300 ^^
> Ah oke
Then sorry for making panic here
...well it happened something similar bevor some months so i was thinking, may there was a small piece of the hall left, so it triggers the next sample of the SB converter...and so on >-<
I just wanted to warn other people ... but well, thanks for explain it to me :3

Yeah i think this should be enough for now ^^'
maybe you can stream up to 200+ but not with a controller :'D
Bad Apple
Congrats Baum, this is awesome!
I really hope to see more maps for this mode in the future! :3

Holy Shiet, even peppy noticed you!
NlHIL
Ahahahaha!!!

Damn good!!!
- Marco -
Topic Starter
IamBaum

- Marco - wrote:

I think i broke osu! diva ;__; https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tmj7mxeunxug ... 0.osz?dl=0
Whoa that diff is intense... but your diff will also need the fixx of my program, i have no time atm, but i will try to to it this evening/night. Sry for that.

Btw i guess i forgot to mention that in the Mapping tutorial, i would recommend widescreen support in the Options, otherwise something from the borders won't be shown.
I still add it to the front page, i can reupload them after i fixxed my program, thx for your map. :)
- Marco -

IamBaum wrote:

- Marco - wrote:

I think i broke osu! diva ;__; https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tmj7mxeunxug ... 0.osz?dl=0
Whoa that diff is intense... but your diff will also need the fixx of my program, i have no time atm, but i will try to to it this evening/night. Sry for that.

Btw i guess i forgot to mention that in the Mapping tutorial, i would recommend widescreen support in the Options, otherwise something from the borders won't be shown.
I still add it to the front page, i can reupload them after i fixxed my program, thx for your map. :)
Ok then, i will wait for your program update \:D/
Mercurial
You're doing god's job.

Nicely done. Really hope it gets bigger and eventually gets native osu! support.
show more