forum

What really happens as u get better on Osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jiquee
This is something ive been thinking about recently, i started this game 2 months ago and i remember i particular my first challanged song i feel was renatus on hard diffculty after playing like 3 weeks, i remember how it was so fast and i was like how am i gonna keep up with this? Now 2 months later i can play some 4-4,50 star diffculty songs and when i tried renatus again on hard diffculty i was like, wow this is so slow, i cant believe this was hard for me before. So my question that this brings up is what happens in your brain with osu as u get better? Like do you just get faster reactions OR is it that as u play your brain like slows down the tones so it isnt as fast? Sorrry if this sounds confusing im just a bit lost and was very curious about this quesiton as i find it quite intersting. :)
Jon
Same happens to everyone. Your eyes are probably adjusting to to make the map you are talking about easier.

Like this except much slower (months time) and you can't actually SEE the change.
Mahogany
Muscle Memory and getting accustomed to the play conditions.
kirueggy
Sounds like playing osu! all introduces us to this invisible power creep, and once we start moving forward we can never go back (unless you go on some hiatus, which then you start over lol)
Trash Boat
TLDR, you are getting good.
Railey2
Being good at osu is about:
  1. How well your muscles are trained (wrist/arm/fingers), affecting stamina, coordination and speed

2. How well you established your osu-related schemata. In the beginning, all you see is circles. After having played countless maps, you begin to notice certain patterns, like doubles, triples, triangles, streams, more complex patterns that lack a name... you begin seeing each of them as a unit instead of individual circles. This enables you to play more effectively. Adversely, you will have a harder time playing maps with patterns that you aren't used to as of yet.

3. Muscle memory. This is the most important factor of all.
    Think of how you use your keyboard. When you started out, you had to search for every letter individually. Once you practice typing more, you will get used to your keyboard, you will remember where the letters are so you don't have to look for them as long. Later, you won't even look at your hands anymore when typing. THIS is what increases your speed, your hands "remember" where the letters are. You don't have to spend conscious effort on typing, you just think of what you want to type, and type simultaneously.
    For osu, it means that you know how you have to move your hand to reach a circle that pops up anywhere on the screen. You don't have to concentrate on hitting the circle. You just have to correctly spot it on the screen and then your hand does the rest. This is what gives you speed and accuracy.
I bet there are many more things going on, but I consider these 3 to be the most important components of being good at osu. If I think of something else later, I'll add it.

Also,
I doubt that playing osu significantly changes your reaction time. From looking at this thread, I can't see a clear correlation. Peoples reaction times seem to be rather randomly distributed: t/329476&start=0
Love Me
as u get better , u choke a lot harder and go on tilts more often lol
abraker
An experiment applicable to mania, don't know about standard:

When playing tilt your head sideways so that you are playing 100% horizontally. I noticed that notes seemed to be faster than how I am used to seeing them. That tells me that your visual perception of such things gets more efficient up as you get better. Heck, I am playing on a scroll speed 5 values higher than what I used to before.

Disclaimer: I might have also been imagining things, but that's what I noticed. Taiko players may get different results from me.
Yuudachi-kun
If I play osu with a mouse then ar8 feels like ar9.
Syphist
Your brain is becoming more efficient at osu. This happens with any process you can think of. You start reading patterns instead of individual notes, it takes you less time to think about where notes are, and muscle memory on how to hit the notes is formed. Basically you've learned to be more efficient at the game.
Zazarith
edit:
Flatlander

kirueggy wrote:

(unless you go on some hiatus, which then you start over lol)
Apparently cookiezi and reimu's hiatus didn't affect them too badly, just saying
kirueggy

Based_God_ wrote:

kirueggy wrote:

(unless you go on some hiatus, which then you start over lol)
Apparently cookiezi and reimu's hiatus didn't affect them too badly, just saying
I thought cookiezi's one and only hiatus was when he timewarp hacked on purpose for a reason to get banned so he would never play osu! anymore
E m i

kirueggy wrote:

I thought cookiezi's one and only hiatus was when he timewarp hacked on purpose for a reason to get banned so he would never play osu! anymore
6 month break from osu for starcraft i think in 2012
DeletedUser_259972
Hand hurts
Saranghae_old_1
It took me about 2-3 months to finally be able to play to AR9 correctly.
Once you learn higher approach ratings you then start to realize how much more you need to improve.
There's never a limit when learning how to get better.
CalmirageD88
We already have great reply from osu! community, and it's informational.. Thanks!

Then.. for me :
>What really happens as u get better on Osu?
irl, makes nonsense.
but from my deep personality, make me feel 'wanna play moar' or 'OMG I CAN PASS IT!' something like that :D
Douae

Trash Boat wrote:

TLDR, you are getting good.
What he said