forum

Anime Masterpieces

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rumby
Here's a list of anime I consider as Masterpiece.

1. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  2. Code Geass
  3. Puella Magi Madoka Magika
  4. Elfen Lied
  5. Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood
I'm really tempted to put ''Clannad : After Story'' there but I won't since it's just my favorite anime.
Mogsy

silmarilen wrote:

by the definition of masterpiece there is not a single masterpiece in anime.
the best you're going to get anywhere when you are looking for "masterpieces" in anime is people's favourite anime, or anime that people think are really good even when they arent their favourite.
By Wikipedia definition, a masterpiece is a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.

There's more to a work of art than whether or not someone considers it their favourite. Every art medium has its master works, whether that may be on a technical or story level (or, in the case of most masterpieces, both). There are definitely individual creators with distinct, overpowering styles and touches in anime, just like in film. For the most part, these auteurs do have their premier works, what many consider their best in addition to solidifying themselves as works of art.

You also don't have to necessarily love something to consider it a master work. I mean, I dislike Evangelion, but still consider it an anime masterpiece.
Telstra3G
Clannad After Story is a master piece.
I consider The world god only knows as one too.
I'm pretty open about animes, so I consider a lot of them masterpieces
EneT

Telstra2G wrote:

Well they can't all be masterpieces then. A masterpiece would suggest that they are unique and a massive cut above others. Is your experience with anime so lacking and your mind so young to not know that?
Green Platinum

Telstra2G wrote:

That's not being open, that's having low standards
totekingsg1
Haven't watched too much anime but this is my list for masterpieces:

1) Toradora <-- Must watch. Best romance+secondary characters in anime
2) Clannad AS
3) Sakurasou no pet na kanojo (the anime, manga goes pretty crazy in the end)
4) Psycho-pass
5) GTO
6) Kokoro connect
edisk
I'm not sure which genre you're looking for but these are what I consider masterpieces/better than good, listed in random order:

1. Blood+
2. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
3. Another
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Claymore
6. Dantalian no Shoka
7. Dance in the Vampire Bund (manga is better, anime doesn't seem to be complete)
8. Elemental Gelade
9. Tenjou Tenge
10. Jormungand

Too lazy to list anymore. Try watching Kurozuka if you have too much time to spare. Best time waster.
Green Platinum

edisk wrote:

I'm not sure which genre you're looking for but these are what I consider masterpieces/better than good, listed in random order:

1. Blood+
2. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
3. Another
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Claymore
6. Dantalian no Shoka
7. Dance in the Vampire Bund (manga is better, anime doesn't seem to be complete)
8. Elemental Gelade
9. Tenjou Tenge
10. Jormungand

Too lazy to list anymore. Try watching Kurozuka if you have too much time to spare. Best time waster.
Admittedly I went and checked if you are 14-16
edisk

Green Platinum wrote:

I watched most of them when I was 14-16 so... bingo you're kinda right.
Green Platinum

edisk wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

I watched most of them when I was 14-16 so... bingo you're kinda right.
I think you should rewatch them then
Liiraye
I think the title should be critically acclaimed shows rather than masterpieces. People are having a hard time separating what's of high quality and what was personally found to be good...
Green Platinum

Liiraye wrote:

I think the title should be critically acclaimed shows rather than masterpieces. People are having a hard time separating what's of high quality and what was personally found to be good...
That's not very constructive to discussion. Although everyone has a different threshold for what constitutes a masterpiece and that doesn't help either.
Liiraye
This is not supposed to be a discussion thread, op is specifically looking for god tier anime, not for everyone to banter about how for example naruto is better than one piece.
Faust
Green Platinum

Liiraye wrote:

This is not supposed to be a discussion thread, op is specifically looking for god tier anime, not for everyone to banter about how for example naruto is better than one piece.
You are still going to have disagreements on whether something is a masterpiece or not. There is no universal authority and if we defer to something else for example the MAL anime rankings I disagree with Gintama being a masterpiece. Just checked and Gintama is in the top 10, 5 times.
The Gambler
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
http://myanimelist.net/anime/529/Saishuu_Heiki_Kanojo

One of the more depressing masterpieces that I've rewatched over my anime career.

Ergo Proxy
http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy

Man, had I rewatched this, my brain would've melted
Arief Santosa
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, i'm cry when watching it. the spice story >:(
Arief Santosa
hmmm, maybe true tears, im very embrassed when watch it. very very ntr
Varination
Personally, I thought both of the Free! Seasons were pure genius, and this coming from a straight male, so not because of the fan service :lol: As a guy, I found the characters were a lot like myself and my teammates.
Green Platinum
Anime is in a pretty sorry state if relatable characters is all that is needed to achieve masterpiece status lol.
-Nya-
If you haven't watched Shingeki no Kojin/Attack on Titan yet, I really suggest you do. At first, I was a bit hesitant to watch it because it looked very gory and a bit weird, but the storyline is absolutely amazing with so many twists and very interesting characters (Levi!!) Seriously, I love the characters. The artwork is also very beautiful and really something else.

I didn't get bored for even one second while watching this series. A definite must-watch.

If I have to be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to find a series that's better than attack on titan.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

If I have to be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to find a series that's better than attack on titan.
I guess if you don't look. AoT is pretty much the Michael Bay film of anime.
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

I guess if you don't look. AoT is pretty much the Michael Bay film of anime.
No . . . I don't think there will ever be a series that will be the same as AOT. AOT is pretty unique in its own way. (I hope I understood your statement correctly)
Green Platinum
Nah, for Bloody action Hellsing Ultimate and Afro Samurai are much better. Neither even reach my threshold for masterpiece though
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

Nah, for Bloody action Hellsing Ultimate and Afro Samurai are much better. Neither even reach my threshold for masterpiece though
I don't really see AOT as a bloody action series. There's so much more to the series than that. The bloody scenes is necessary just to show how gruesome and terrifying the titans are. To show the viewers why the characters are so afraid of the titans, so we can understand their fear.
Green Platinum
You haven't seen Hellsing Ultimate have you?
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

You haven't seen Hellsing Ultimate have you?
Uhm, I've seen images and it looks very dark. Like evil and magic and stuff. Not really like AOT . . .
Green Platinum
AoT isn't exactly a disney princess movie either.

Even Freezing handles fear and corruption better than AoT
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

AoT isn't exactly a disney princess movie either.

Even Freezing handles fear and corruption better than AoT
I don't want AOT to be like that lol. I think I just like human strength (fighting with swords, etc) more than fighting with magic. And remember, I really, really like the characters. (Levi is just awesome) And the plot twists. So that's what really made the series for me.
Green Platinum
Sure you enjoyed it. But how can you say it is the top of its class when you haven't seen the other heavy hitters in its genre.
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

Sure you enjoyed it. But how can you say it is the top of its class when you haven't seen the other heavy hitters in its genre.
I guess you're right. But what would you say AOT's genre is?
Green Platinum
Mature/Bloody Action
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

Mature/Bloody Action
Hmm, I still think there's more to the series than blood, but okay. The main reason why I didn't really watch anything else after AOT is cuz I'm quite busy in real life, etc. Would you say tokyo ghoul falls in the bloody action category?
Green Platinum
Genre categories are supposed to be broad. Aria is a slice of life despite being set on Mars. Yes Tokyo Ghoul would go into Bloody Action.
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

Genre categories are supposed to be broad. Aria is a slice of life despite being set on Mars. Yes Tokyo Ghoul would go into Bloody Action.
Yeah, I'm busy watching tokyo ghoul season 2, but the reason why is because I want to finish it. I had started watching it a while ago, but had never been able to finish it. The last new anime I have started watching was AOT and that was like 3 months ago.
-Nya-
I actually want to give a proper list of my anime recommendations/ "Anime Masterpieces" (Not really a specific order):

1. Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kojin
  2. Sword Art Online (I guess the first season was the best, but the third one (gun gale online) was also really nice. The guns used in that season really brought something else to the whole series)
  3. Tokyo Ghoul (The first season was really, really good in my opinion, but the second season is a bit "meh". I just really like Kaneki :P )
  4. Hyouka (A slice of life-anime/highschool anime/mystery anime and very beautiful artwork. Also recommended if you like mysteries or like solving school mysteries)
  5. Noragami (This was a really funny anime for me and also very interesting. Yato! Lol)
  6. Another (Very gory and many deaths. Also a mystery. The artwork is also really good in my opinion.)
  7. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Probably the best magical girl anime. It messed with my head a bit though. So much feels :( )
  8. Kyoukai no Kanata (Great artwork and great storyline. Also a bit cute romance)
  9. Black Rock Shooter (The main theme of this anime was interesting for me; the idea that there's someone fighting for you. And the action scenes were good)
  10. Gosick (Very cute romance anime and also a lot of mystery)
  11. One Week Friends (So kawaii!! And I cried at some scenes or almost did)
  12. Blue Exorcist (Worth mentioning. Rin is such an interesting character. I just love him!)
And that's that. The best of the best for me. (Take note: I haven't watched that many anime shows yet, but the above list is the best anime shows for me thus far)
hehe
naruto
Green Platinum

mathexpert wrote:

what anime do you guys consider as masterpieces? Not "pretty good" or even "excellent" anime, but the god tier, amazing works of art that surpass 99% of the other anime out there.
Faust
This thing is still alive ?

And where do you keep getting those avatars from, Green Platinum ?
show more