forum

Anime Masterpieces

posted
Total Posts
show more
Varetyr

Fzero100 wrote:

What about Nichijou or danshikoukosei no nichijou? Those three are probably the only ones that've made me cry laughing.
As always when it comes to humor...
#opinions.
For example to me, DKnN was pretty much a funnier version of Minami-ke series. I appreciated it a lot, but that's all.
And Nichijou isn't my cup of tea I guess :/.

Then again, humor is all about #opinions, there are probably a lot of people who would agree with you here, but I can't.
Fzero100

Varetyr wrote:

Fzero100 wrote:

What about Nichijou or danshikoukosei no nichijou? Those three are probably the only ones that've made me cry laughing.
As always when it comes to humor...
#opinions.
For example to me, DKnN was pretty much a funnier version of Minami-ke series. I appreciated it a lot, but that's all.
And Nichijou isn't my cup of tea I guess :/.

Then again, humor is all about #opinions, there are probably a lot of people who would agree with you here, but I can't.
Yea, humour really is subjective but I guess the same goes for anything really. Any particular reason you find gintama the best of its genre? To me I feel like it brings out the best in crude humour while still being able to pull those heartstrings in the serious arcs.
Jindujun93
Surprised nobody mentioned Monster yet, definitely one of the masterpieces that anime has to offer. Kino no Tabi is definitely one as well, and if you're enjoying Shonen, Hunter x Hunter (2011).
Rise_old_1
DAMN wasn't first to say monster!

well, Clannad after story OBVIOUSLY.
Kill la kill was definitely amazing...
Wolf children was Fu***** amazing (r8 8/8 m8)
Cowboy Bebop is an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE! (rewatched 3 times and counting :P)
Boku No Pico what I mean.. uhhh.... lets ignore
Grave of the fireflies is counted by me aswell.
I'm tempted to say Trigun but I haven't liked it as much as I would say a masterpiece. (still worth to watch though :!: )
Also, if this is even countable... Yoko Kanno's music in some anime's is definitely a masterpiece. Yoko Kanno is a freaking genius when it comes to music.
Kasdiel
I honestly think that Nagi no Asukara is a masterpiece, despite some of the flak that it gets.
Mogsy
There's some stuff in here that I would definitely not call a masterpiece (To Aru, Nagi no Asukara, BRS, any Key property). The thing is, there are very rarely works that achieve a grandiose artistic height and a level of importance to be called a master work. Some examples that I would definitely use, even if I don't like some of them, would be:

1. Akira
  2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
  3. Millennium Actress
  4. Evangelion
  5. Ghost in the Shell
  6. Cowboy Bebop
  7. Angel's Egg
  8. Wolf's Rain
  9. Madoka Magica
  10. The Tatami Galaxy
  11. Penguindrum
  12. Grave of the Fireflies
  13. RahXephon
  14. Serial Experiments Lain
  15. Princess Mononoke
  16. Porco Rosso
  17. Beck/Paradise Kiss (very similar shows, basically with the genders switched)
  18. Welcome to the NHK
  19. Flag
There's a lot of stuff I like that I wouldn't consider a masterpiece. There's a lot of stuff I don't like personally that I would consider must-watches for any anime fan. There's a difference between liking something and recognizing its importance and artistic merit.
Jindujun93
Ah, two other animes that came to mind just now that haven't been mentioned yet. Mushishi and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (aka Legend of the Galactic Heroes).
Alongside with Monster and Kino no Tabi that I've previously mentioned, those seem to be a masterpiece in my opinion.

I have to agree with Mogsworth as well though - most animes from that list should definitely be given a watch, even if it is just once and only taking a glimpse at it.
mintaisukurimu
I think Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Death Note and Code Geass are masterpieces.

//this is my opinion though, so you probably might not agree with it.
The Winner Man
You know now that I think about it, you probably shoulda just used t/90118 (anime suggestion thread). The word "masterpiece" is pretty iffy cause from what I'm seeing this is more like a favorite anime thingy.
Varetyr

Fzero100 wrote:

Yea, humour really is subjective but I guess the same goes for anything really. Any particular reason you find gintama the best of its genre? To me I feel like it brings out the best in crude humour while still being able to pull those heartstrings in the serious arcs.
About Gintama, they're always bringing new, completely unpredictable gags in a different atmosphere than the generic high school / slice of life stuff, and they've been doing that for several years now. Not to mention the references, they're just hilarious when you get them.
Liiraye
If you want something funny you should watch gdgd fairies. A huge chunk of the show is uncut bloopers and half of the show isn't even scripted, so the VA's basically come up with random shit during the show. A must watch and seriously the most underrated comedy ever made. The shitty CG makes all that so much better as well.
Mogsy

The Winner Man wrote:

You know now that I think about it, you probably shoulda just used http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/90118 (anime suggestion thread). The word "masterpiece" is pretty iffy cause from what I'm seeing this is more like a favorite anime thingy.
I think the word "masterpiece" has a different connotation than "favourite" but then again, others in this thread are just rattling off their favourite anime as definitive works of art.
Topic Starter
mathexpert

The Winner Man wrote:

You know now that I think about it, you probably shoulda just used http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/90118 (anime suggestion thread). The word "masterpiece" is pretty iffy cause from what I'm seeing this is more like a favorite anime thingy.
I sort of had a suspicion that this would happen, which is why I tried to word it as clearly as possible in my OP: "god tier, amazing works of art that surpass 99% of the other anime out there". I'd be seriously hard pressed to identify Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and the To aru series as even decent entertainment, let alone art. Meanwhile, I think that while stuff like Clannad, Angel Beats, and FMAB are all pretty well written and are good animes, they're not really "art" in the sense that they don't push any boundaries and are excellent, but not (I don't think, at least) god-tier.

But then again, this begs the question of what the definition of art actually is, and if it really is all subjective? Does masterpiece necessarily imply that it's art, even? Who knows, but I created this thread because I thought it would be a worthwhile conversation to have.

Anyways, thx for the suggestions, especially Mogsworth's. You seem like one of the few that actually get what I mean when I say "masterpiece", judging from your suggestions. I'll be sure to check nearly all, if not outright all, of them out~
The Winner Man
Yeah that's what I meant by iffy. There's no clear guidelines cause everyone's definition/opinion is different.
silmarilen
by the definition of masterpiece there is not a single masterpiece in anime.
the best you're going to get anywhere when you are looking for "masterpieces" in anime is people's favourite anime, or anime that people think are really good even when they arent their favourite.
Rizumu Tenshi

silmarilen wrote:

the best you're going to get anywhere when you are looking for "masterpieces" in anime is people's favourite anime, or anime that people think are really good even when they arent their favourite.
Which even Sword Art Online and especially Shingeki no Kyojin aren't?

Honestly, +1, no such Anime can be called a masterpiece. Even Clannad can't be called a masterpiece because it aired on 2007. So sad :( If it were 16:9 it'd have been a masterpiece. But that's my opinion. But then, look again...

No matter how many times an Anime was watched, no matter how many people have it as their favourite...
  1. The story, second by second...
  2. The graphics and/or the native resolution, pixel by pixel...
  3. The amount of fanservices and how big they are, service by service...
  4. And how effective everything is...
...they all determine everything.
Any missing criteria goes as part of one of the four e.g. characters --> story.

Onto my opinion: I can only think of one Anime that can be called a masterpiece with the four criteria up...don't blame me for the selection but blame the criteria...

Love Live! School Idol Project

All who watched it will get why. I myself am a diehard thanks to the motivation that got me after watching it. And I still have it as my #1 Anime thanks to the rest of the criteria.
fyi any Anime has to be graphically enchanting to be interesting for me e.g. Pri Para
If you wish, please judge the criteria, let's hope if everyone agrees on it the masterpiece can be determined.
Rumby
Here's a list of anime I consider as Masterpiece.

1. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
  2. Code Geass
  3. Puella Magi Madoka Magika
  4. Elfen Lied
  5. Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood
I'm really tempted to put ''Clannad : After Story'' there but I won't since it's just my favorite anime.
Mogsy

silmarilen wrote:

By Wikipedia definition, a masterpiece is a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person's career or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.

There's more to a work of art than whether or not someone considers it their favourite. Every art medium has its master works, whether that may be on a technical or story level (or, in the case of most masterpieces, both). There are definitely individual creators with distinct, overpowering styles and touches in anime, just like in film. For the most part, these auteurs do have their premier works, what many consider their best in addition to solidifying themselves as works of art.

You also don't have to necessarily love something to consider it a master work. I mean, I dislike Evangelion, but still consider it an anime masterpiece.
Telstra3G
Clannad After Story is a master piece.
I consider The world god only knows as one too.
I'm pretty open about animes, so I consider a lot of them masterpieces
EneT

Telstra2G wrote:

Well they can't all be masterpieces then. A masterpiece would suggest that they are unique and a massive cut above others. Is your experience with anime so lacking and your mind so young to not know that?
Green Platinum

Telstra2G wrote:

That's not being open, that's having low standards
totekingsg1
Haven't watched too much anime but this is my list for masterpieces:

1) Toradora <-- Must watch. Best romance+secondary characters in anime
2) Clannad AS
3) Sakurasou no pet na kanojo (the anime, manga goes pretty crazy in the end)
4) Psycho-pass
5) GTO
6) Kokoro connect
edisk
I'm not sure which genre you're looking for but these are what I consider masterpieces/better than good, listed in random order:

1. Blood+
2. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
3. Another
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Claymore
6. Dantalian no Shoka
7. Dance in the Vampire Bund (manga is better, anime doesn't seem to be complete)
8. Elemental Gelade
9. Tenjou Tenge
10. Jormungand

Too lazy to list anymore. Try watching Kurozuka if you have too much time to spare. Best time waster.
Green Platinum

edisk wrote:

I'm not sure which genre you're looking for but these are what I consider masterpieces/better than good, listed in random order:

1. Blood+
2. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
3. Another
4. Gunslinger Girl
5. Claymore
6. Dantalian no Shoka
7. Dance in the Vampire Bund (manga is better, anime doesn't seem to be complete)
8. Elemental Gelade
9. Tenjou Tenge
10. Jormungand

Too lazy to list anymore. Try watching Kurozuka if you have too much time to spare. Best time waster.
Admittedly I went and checked if you are 14-16
edisk

Green Platinum wrote:

I watched most of them when I was 14-16 so... bingo you're kinda right.
Green Platinum

edisk wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

I watched most of them when I was 14-16 so... bingo you're kinda right.
I think you should rewatch them then
Liiraye
I think the title should be critically acclaimed shows rather than masterpieces. People are having a hard time separating what's of high quality and what was personally found to be good...
Green Platinum

Liiraye wrote:

I think the title should be critically acclaimed shows rather than masterpieces. People are having a hard time separating what's of high quality and what was personally found to be good...
That's not very constructive to discussion. Although everyone has a different threshold for what constitutes a masterpiece and that doesn't help either.
Liiraye
This is not supposed to be a discussion thread, op is specifically looking for god tier anime, not for everyone to banter about how for example naruto is better than one piece.
Faust
Green Platinum

Liiraye wrote:

This is not supposed to be a discussion thread, op is specifically looking for god tier anime, not for everyone to banter about how for example naruto is better than one piece.
You are still going to have disagreements on whether something is a masterpiece or not. There is no universal authority and if we defer to something else for example the MAL anime rankings I disagree with Gintama being a masterpiece. Just checked and Gintama is in the top 10, 5 times.
The Gambler
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
http://myanimelist.net/anime/529/Saishuu_Heiki_Kanojo

One of the more depressing masterpieces that I've rewatched over my anime career.

Ergo Proxy
http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy

Man, had I rewatched this, my brain would've melted
Arief Santosa
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, i'm cry when watching it. the spice story >:(
Arief Santosa
hmmm, maybe true tears, im very embrassed when watch it. very very ntr
Varination
Personally, I thought both of the Free! Seasons were pure genius, and this coming from a straight male, so not because of the fan service :lol: As a guy, I found the characters were a lot like myself and my teammates.
Green Platinum
Anime is in a pretty sorry state if relatable characters is all that is needed to achieve masterpiece status lol.
-Nya-
If you haven't watched Shingeki no Kojin/Attack on Titan yet, I really suggest you do. At first, I was a bit hesitant to watch it because it looked very gory and a bit weird, but the storyline is absolutely amazing with so many twists and very interesting characters (Levi!!) Seriously, I love the characters. The artwork is also very beautiful and really something else.

I didn't get bored for even one second while watching this series. A definite must-watch.

If I have to be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to find a series that's better than attack on titan.
Green Platinum

-Nya- wrote:

If I have to be honest, I don't think I'll ever be able to find a series that's better than attack on titan.
I guess if you don't look. AoT is pretty much the Michael Bay film of anime.
-Nya-

Green Platinum wrote:

-Nya- wrote:

I guess if you don't look. AoT is pretty much the Michael Bay film of anime.
No . . . I don't think there will ever be a series that will be the same as AOT. AOT is pretty unique in its own way. (I hope I understood your statement correctly)
show more