forum

[Rule] The minimum draining time for a map must be 1 minute

posted
Total Posts
show more
meii18
I have an ending song from an anime which have under 1 minute and honestly,I disagree with this rule ;_;
If this rule will be applied,I couldn't rank that mapset for example. Some songs have under 1 minute and some mappers really want to rank those.
Wafu

DakeDekaane wrote:

As much as I hate ridiculously short maps, if that's how the song is, then yes, they're free to go ahead. If it's a blatant lazy ass cut, please don't even try, you're consuming time that could be used on maps that truly deserve it.

PS: If you're going to map short songs, please map stuff worth of it.
Pretty much this is exactly what is the problem. Short maps should be allowed to qualify unless it is a not the original version (thus unofficial cut by mapper).
Krimek
As a mapper I want to be able to map songs even with a drain less of 1 minute. We are doing all the work to get it mapped, modded and get it through the ranking process. If it's ranked and a few people don't want to play it, it's not our problem. There are enough people who are enjoying play short maps, and that's the most important thing as a mapper - See that people enjoy it. Short drain time doesn't make the quality of the beatmap worse!
Accurian
Short maps are part of the game, and it's not hurting anybody, so I don't see any reason making maps under a minute "unrankable", especially when there are countless songs that just aren't longer than thirty seconds, which would only make people loop it for a chance to get it ranked.

I think a rule where cutting the audio file makes it unrankable is a more viable option, preventing people from cutting a part of a song instead of using the entire song like it was originally intended, and that if a song is looped, cutting it would not break the rules, as long as it's exactly identical.
Kurai
Within 500 unique people, 51 voted below 30 seconds (so ~10% of those people) and 92 between 30 seconds and 1 minute (almost 20%).
So you want to prevent those let's say 15% of the community from playing maps they would potentially enjoy because the other 85% may not? That's sick.

What's wrong with playing short songs from time to time? It can be refreshing sometimes. Also, it'd kill the diversity of the game, some songs are below 1 minute and can't be looped (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/8393 https://osu.ppy.sh/s/14282 just some random examples) yet are fun to play.

Also, don't tell me that those maps are very common, on the first page of ranked maps (so out of 40 maps), I counted 4 maps that are below 1 minute of drain time (including 2 where the song is actually below one minute). Saying that this is filling all the free slots in the qualified section is quite a lame excuse. If you don't like it, don't play it, people have enough material to play and have fun even if they skip those maps.

Yet I'd would agree that cutting a song that is like 3 minutes into something that is less than 1 minute makes no sense and should be prevented with a guideline.
Purple

Loctav wrote:

We do not see a reason anymore to factually allow beatmaps to be Ranked that are not at least 1 minute long of active play time (aka drain time)
"You" should consider adding new members to (what I presume is) your osu! Board of Directors if you could not see why this is such a bad idea. It's never helpful to show hints that there is a massive disconnect with your player-base, even if deep inside you mean absolutely no harm.
DahplA
If this is going to be implemented, then does that mean currently qualified maps will remain in that state until ranked, or be immediately disqualified for this rule?
Lust
I knew that this discussion was going to end up like this the minute I heard about it earlier. I'm a strong opponent of this (regardless if I have two 30 second beatmaps ranked). Why inhibit the fun players could possibly have on 30sec-1min beatmaps due to a shoddy poll? Just because I didn't vote for 1 minute and under, doesn't mean I don't "factually" enjoy them.

Instead of misusing such poll information, use it in a manner that benefits the entire community, such as the lengths of the songs that are chosen to be bundled into the game.
silmarilen
people dont even have to come up with reasons why <1 minute songs should be able to stay rankable. the reasoning behind this rule is faulty in itself.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Let's fix the proposal up to the arguments brought up by others in this thread to the following:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the full version of a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute. This is so each map gives a sufficiently long gameplay experience. It also prevents people to cut songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way.

Does that wording make sense?
Bobbias
That seems completely acceptable to me.
Stefan
I can live with that. By far better than currently.
Razor Sharp
I agree with that.
Okoratu
Let's take the case of Mao's pupa to test this wording:

the mp3 he mapped is the opening for the short anime. It's version as it is played in there is probably exactly 30 seconds by adding a weird spinner in the end (note the taiko set of it got to ranked without doing that).

There does exist, however a full version of the song which is 3:27 in length.

Does that wording allow for the 30 second version to be mapped because it is officially used that way somewhere, or do you have to stick to the full version because of the wording suggested by this rule?

I could also take the I MY MINE - Troublemaker as an example as it is the exact same thing except the full version is 4:28.
Mao

Okoratu wrote:

There does exist, however a full version of the song which is 3:27 in length.
I didn't even notice they released it now. However, this is a good point.

Generally tough, this wording is much better in my eyes.
Snaggletooth

Loctav wrote:

Let's fix the proposal up to the arguments brought up by others in this thread to the following:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the full version of a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute. This is so each map gives a sufficiently long gameplay experience. It also prevents people to cut songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way.

then what about songs that are 1:12 but tze actual drain is 0:50 ? Would people then be forced to map 1 minute drain, which could potentially mean that the mapper would have to figure out how to map the intro/outro or possible breaks that have little to no beat density? Or does this only apply to cuts?
Garven
I'd prefer it to be a hard minimum of 45 seconds and the recommended to be 1:00. 30 second songs do exist, but in the context of this game and the administration it seems like a large amount of invested time for the mappers, modders, BN, and QAT for such a short experience. I'd rather have more focus on longer songs/maps that will bring more entertainment vs. time invested.
Nozhomi

Snaggletooth wrote:

then what about songs that are 1:12 but tze actual drain is 0:50 ? Would people then be forced to map 1 minute drain, which could potentially mean that the mapper would have to figure out how to map the intro/outro or possible breaks that have little to no beat density? Or does this only apply to cuts?
Because it's not a cut ver. it should be allowed to have 0:50 drain.

This new version of the rule is better yeah, since it just force to avoid cut version. Sounds good.
Snaggletooth

Nozhomi wrote:

Because it's not a cut ver. it should be allowed to have 0:50 drain.

This new version of the rule is better yeah, since it just force to avoid cut version. Sounds good.
Well then it should be worded diffrently. A songs full version can be over 1 minute, dosnt mean the drain is. it should specifically state that this only applies to cuts.
OSUjanaiKATSURAda
No. i mostly Play only Short Maps ( i like to enjoy short songs, and get a little fun than playing a 1 day map that it ended like a job ( oh finally its done )
Damaged ears/eyes/hands/nerfs/ ( waste of time ) .
Stefan
Openings are technically correct and legitime versions and not cut versions. It should be noted they do not count as cut version.
Yuzeyun
I'm supporting the new proposal, with Garven's twist.

However, if there is no "official" version of an OP (which, in my example, would be 44 seconds) but is made from a cut from an extended version, would that could as a cut version or a legitimate opening ?
Wafu

Stefan wrote:

Openings are technically correct and legitime versions and not cut versions. It should be noted they do not count as cut version.
Yeah, we should mention that it only applies for non-official cuts.

Apart from that, I pretty much agree with Loctav's current wording.
@Garven, I think that's not really thing to consider. Whether it is more work for others is firstly subjective (there might be instantly rankable beatmaps, but absolutely terrible ones and that's what determines whether the job of modders, BNs, QATs is going to be worth it). But why would we even consider that? Respectively, everyone is free to mod, bubble or qualify whatever he likes. For QATs it is more complicated, but that is limited by count and it is not that terrible to check 1 or 2 shorter maps than the others per whole page of qualified maps.
xxdeathx
Chances are nothing I map would be affected by this rule, but that doesn't mean I'm for it.

Kind of sad that enough of the community dislikes short maps to the point that they support disallowing them from being ranked. Please tell me how the existence of short ranked maps affects you, how it causes you grief.
Maeglwn
a poll that shows that a majority of people enjoy a certain type of map more than another does not mean that they dislike a different type of it, or that the people who did vote for that category should be ostracized as a result

heavily disagree\

glad to see the majority of the community reacted in the way that I theorized ages ago they were going to if something like this was proposed

Loctav wrote:

this is absolutely, 100% a better idea. cutting a song just promotes laziness amongst mappers and encourages people to enjoy less of the song than the actual song has contentwise
Starry-

Loctav wrote:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. If the full version of a song is longer than 1 minute, the minimum draining (play) time for the map must be 1 minute. This is so each map provides a sufficiently long gameplay experience. This also prevents people from cutting songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way.
^ I slightly altered the wording here, feels a tad better from the previous.

This rule makes a lot more sense then the original proposal in the first post (which I completely disagreed with).

I see no reason for a hard minimum of 45 seconds though. A minimum of 30 seconds is fine enough. I've had a lot of enjoyable gameplay experience in both osu!std and o!mania from songs under 45 seconds for me personally as a player, and I'm sure many other players have also, so I don't see why you would need a minimum of 45 seconds. Just because a map is short it doesn't mean the mapper didn't put effort into it, either.

I support the new proposal how it is.
silmarilen

xxdeathx wrote:

Chances are nothing I map would be affected by this rule, but that doesn't mean I'm for it.

Kind of sad that enough of the community dislikes short maps to the point that they support disallowing them from being ranked. Please tell me how the existence of short ranked maps affects you, how it causes you grief.
???? did you even read the thread?
there isnt a single person that agreed with the rule...

i dont really like the new suggestion either because it's so arbitrary, why is cutting a song a bad thing because of lazyness when it's still allowed for songs that are already that long in the first place? isn't that lazyness aswell then?

anyway at least it's better than the original suggestion.
UndeadCapulet
I don't think the new wording is entirely addressing the issue about needless cutting. This map would still be rankable despite only 1 minute of the original 4:30 song being mapped. As seen in the Disqus comments of that map, this is kind of thing people have an issue with; it's not the length the song has been cut to, it's the amount of song being cut out. I think a better rule would be something along the lines of:

The minimum draining (play) time for a map must be 30 seconds. A song cannot be cut or shortened past 50% of its official release. This is so each map gives a sufficiently long gameplay experience. This also prevents people from cutting songs too short for no reason, thus stopping people from enjoying the song in a proper way. A TV Size or shorter release is still an official release, and this rule does not prohibit such examples.

The 50% was some arbitrary number chosen, it can be changed as people see fit.
xxdeathx

silmarilen wrote:

xxdeathx wrote:

???? did you even read the thread?
there isnt a single person that agreed with the rule...

i dont really like the new suggestion either because it's so arbitrary, why is cutting a song a bad thing because of lazyness when it's still allowed for songs that are already that long in the first place? isn't that lazyness aswell then?

anyway at least it's better than the original suggestion.
did you read? i was referring to this post, not the OP...if you want my response to that, please see p/4383468

Loctav wrote:

Skubi
I would make a NEW category of maps below 1 minute that has their ranking for people who ACTUALLY likes playing these maps -.-

Btw. These "reasons" why it is done like that are really really bad
Lach

CptSqBany wrote:

I would make a NEW category of maps below 1 minute that has their ranking for people who ACTUALLY likes playing these maps -.-
Why? As much as the original rule was silly, we don't explicitly want to encourage short maps. Does a 30 second map being in the same listing affect you in any negative way?
Mazziv
Well if you try to rank a beatmap which is like 30 seconds it should have atleast 5-6 diffs(with a proper spread ofc) not things like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/178669 <-- 2 diffs.I personally think this is bs since there are a few gimmicky songs out there that are better in 30 seconds than full 3 minutes. So my suggestion would be: if the map is 45seconds or below you need a bigger spreading with atleast 6 diffs.
Skubi

Lach wrote:

CptSqBany wrote:

Why? As much as the original rule was silly, we don't explicitly want to encourage short maps. Does a 30 second map being in the same listing affect you in any negative way?
People still want to conquer, who is better in Global, Country, Mods, Friends ranking. So if somebody would map Full PUPA opening, that is 30 seconds long, then it would be thrown to trash?
Lach

CptSqBany wrote:

People still want to conquer, who is better in Global, Country, Mods, Friends ranking. So if somebody would map Full PUPA opening, that is 30 seconds long, then it would be thrown to trash?
?????
Skubi
People have purpose to map, if somebody wants to map a song he wants this song to be ranked, if a song CANT be ranked because rules, then why would he map it anyways... It would be wasting time
ghm12

Umaru-chan wrote:

Well if you try to rank a beatmap which is like 30 seconds it should have atleast 5-6 diffs(with a proper spread ofc) not things like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/178669 <-- 2 diffs.I personally think this is bs since there are a few gimmicky songs out there that are better in 30 seconds than full 3 minutes. So my suggestion would be: if the map is 45seconds or below you need a bigger spreading with atleast 6 diffs.
That wouldn't work. There are some kind of music you can't do too much (Like the one you linked).
How would you do 6 diffs for a super calm short song? Beginner, Easy, Easy+, Normal, Advanced and Hard?

CptSqBany wrote:

People have purpose to map, if somebody wants to map a song he wants this song to be ranked, if a song CANT be ranked because rules, then why would he map it anyways... It would be wasting time
Not sure if it fits, but mapping doesn't always mean "to rank"

Loctav wrote:

Definitely agree with this one, since allows minimum of 30 seconds but doesn't allow cutting a long song to something below 1 minute
Bearizm
I do agree with this, however; I believe that since 30 seconds maps have a degree of entertainment value to it since most of them are quite gimmicky or uhh just funny in general. I believe if one would like to "rank" a 30 seconds map, they should be able to do so HOWEVER, send them to a completely different category of maps so those maps won't be categorized as "osu! Official/Ranked Beatmaps". But not in pending! It should have a slot of their own. Solves everybody's problems.
Okoratu
your suggestion seems like too much effort for maps that short
Cloudchaser

Loctav wrote:

This is way too better from the actual rule, it makes justice for true short maps lol not like these beatmaps https://osu.ppy.sh/s/88299
Granger
I disgree, even with the new proposal of limiting to 1 minute if the song is 1 minute or longer.

If you want to stop people from excessively cutting songs out of lazyness simply forbid that or, better, limit how much of a song you're allowed to cut. Something like that:

The final drain time of a song must be at least 85% of the full version song.
show more