forum

Poll 26: Should we remove scoreboards from qualified maps?

posted
Total Posts

Should we remove scoreboards from qualified beatmaps?

Yes
12.16%
No
23.08%
Keep them but don't reward performance points until ranked
64.76%
Total votes: 2747
Topic Starter
peppy
The intention of having scoreboards on qualified maps was to allow players to play the maps and then report back issues they found with it, but after several months of testing, the only result of having scoreboards on these maps is huge drama and complaints from players who lose their scores when a map is disqualified. Internally we are considering removing scoreboards to avoid the backlash when a map is disqualified to improve the quality of life for everyone.

What do you guys think? Reply with feedback if you have more to say than just a poll choice.

TO BE CLEAR: Qualified is the state a map is in for 7 days before being ranked, during which it can be disqualified should any issues be found.
Imperf3kt
Nice, I see. I'd like to see them stay until the map is ranked.
Perhaps a message stating "your score won't count until this map is officially ranked" or something.
Graf
There should be a clearer indication in-game if the map is qualified or ranked imo.
[Animeniac]
It's still nice to see who the top players for that beatmap are.. regardless of it is ranked or not. I say keep it and just don't award the player until it's approved.
Xilver15
3rd option seems very much ideal and a nice compromise.
Nekonyan
at least I hope it has different icon with ranked maps so people could see the difference
EDIT: I think 3rd choice is the best choice I could choose considering much drama on dq maps
Natsu
yes having a scoreboard is good and bad, bad, because players got pissed off when they lose their pp, but at the same time by not having a scoreboard probably no one will try those maps and the qualified section will not work as intended to be. Probably keeping the scoreboard, but not giving pp is the better idea.
Topic Starter
peppy
Players who try the map generally don't report issues with it. It's the actual QAT that do the checking.
Rifdi
Since its only qualified, it could always be DQ'd if something seems amiss, so i guess it would be wise to not reward the players with pp in a qualified map since its still in the phase of "Check and Recheck". But i think keeping the scoreboard would keep the competition up to motivate the players to play more. Keeping the scoreboard could also be a way to give the mappers an idea of how the map really plays, since you can see the replays (right?) of top 50 plays, which is basically filled with skilled and experienced players.

So thats how i see it, i could be wrong though :v
YatsuKaori
If the maps got DQ, don't wipe that scores because some player don't like to retry/play same map.

Edit : I Think For Qualify Maps set for another icon, don't use the love icon
Topic Starter
peppy

Lina Sintyadewi wrote:

If the maps got DQ, don't wipe that scores because some player don't like to retry/play same map.
I think you're missing the point. The maps CHANGE after getting disqualified, which makes any scores set incorrect.
Wafu
I agree it either should be removed completely or there should be the warning, like: "7 days remaining till permanent qualification" or something, which would count like that. That would maybe prevent disqualified maps from terrible ratings - I remember there were maps with almost 10 score, but after disqualification, they got many of insensible 1 stars. Not like that score determines anything, but players just don't often realize that it's not mapper's fault, when warning is given, but they are only warned if they enter qualified section, if someone sends them the song directly, they might not know their scores may be removed.

Just throwing my 2 cents here.

//Also I firstly had a little heart attack when I read: "Should we remove STORYBOARDS from qualified maps?" xDD
bahamete

Graf wrote:

There should be a clearer indication in-game if the map is qualified or ranked imo.
Absolutely this. When somebody links you a map and you download it via osu!direct, there's seemingly no way of being able to tell whether it is qualified or not; perhaps a new icon for qualified maps would be sufficient. Either way, I voted for qualified maps not giving pp - as Xilver said, I'd agree that it is the best compromise. People seem unable to handle disqualifications for maps in which they or others have gained pp from (myself being guilty of that on a few occasions), despite the fact that that is far from the reason for the qualified section.
Bauxe
I can see an influx in people complaining about not receiving PP with the third option, however I feel it's probably the most appropriate.
Bara-
I can recall there being a F-req on giving qualified maps a enw symbol, like a moon, a heart with a nuke, or a blue heart
I think that should be good enough though
However, to avoid drama, as that will happen because many people are ignorant, 3rd option is byfar the best there is
Kyujuroku 96
No pp untill ranked will be the best option. pp is the source of all dramas after all. Besides most people tend to wait until they get ranked so they dont lose pp.
qwr
3rd option is clearly the best
Also an unavoidable warning that says "this map can be disqualified at any time" should be included
Euny
i agree with this. when dq some map, it gives feels 'lost' to players also mappers. so i think, we should remove scoreboard from qualified map.
then we will get better feelings more than now when map's dq.
puxtu

qwr wrote:

3rd option is clearly the best
Also an unavoidable warning that says "this map can be disqualified at any time" should be included
pretty much this.
It feels really hurts when losing a pp
jesse1412
I feel like dumb fucks will complain double about "not getting pp from X map" if the pp is removed. Remove the score board and I'll be far less inclined to test a map. I like it how it is, a few comments in map threads is worth the additional play testing.
Topic Starter
peppy

jesus1412 wrote:

I feel like dumb fucks will complain double about "not getting pp from X map" if the pp is removed.
I completely agree.
Bara-
Illiterate and ignorant people will always complain
No matter what
A message saying You'll get no pp from this map should be fine
As long as it covers the whole screen
For 5 seconds
In multiple colors
Comet

peppy wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

I feel like dumb fucks will complain double about "not getting pp from X map" if the pp is removed.
I completely agree.
Am I one of the rare breeds of players left that really doesn't give two shits about this? Just saying.

EDIT: "This map is in qualified status, qualified maps will only give Performance Points after the map is fully ranked!" <-- This message seems fairly satisfactory
Monstrata
What about cases where the map doesn't change? Say it was a metadata issue, which has no effect on actual gameplay?

Regardless... if the scoreboard were removed there would no longer be any incentive to play the maps before they were ranked. People usually play maps in qualified to secure top/#1 ranks on the lower diffs (mapsets with no spinners are especially prone to this) or to get pp. I think the third option is the most ideal because people will get to keep their scores/pp if the map passes qualified.

At the same time, however, if you were to implement this, pp gain needs to be hidden from players somehow, otherwise even if a map does not immediately reward a player pp, they will still assume they have obtain those pp, and this would still create drama should a map get disqualified because players will be "expecting a top play". Basically at the end of the day, if a map is dq'ed, you are still going to get people saying "rip my 300 pp score etc etc" even if they never actually got it added onto their Top Plays (yet). I doubt this can be fully avoided, because players can always estimate about how much pp they would have received...
azer467
Maybe something like remove pp but keep scoreboard or remove scoreboard but keep pp

For now, I think just adding a panel at the top of the scoreboard ingame to warn players is fine, because the main problem for them complaining about is that we can't recognize ranked/qualified maps in-game because they both are marked with a heart
qwr

monstrata wrote:

At the same time, however, if you were to implement this, pp gain needs to be hidden from players somehow, otherwise even if a map does not immediately reward a player pp, they will still assume they have obtain those pp, and this would still create drama should a map get disqualified because players will be "expecting a top play". Basically at the end of the day, if a map is dq'ed, you are still going to get people saying "rip my 300 pp score etc etc" even if they never actually got it added onto their Top Plays (yet). I doubt this can be fully avoided, because players can always estimate about how much pp they would have received...
I was thinking the same thing
To put it in different terms, qualified scores should not be "gambles", or "this score has a chance of giving me pp"

If you want to cut down drama, remove pp from qualified maps, so it's only about the leaderboard or score
Fullerene-

peppy wrote:

Players who try the map generally don't report issues with it. It's the actual QAT that do the checking.
One reason this may happen is because some may see a person pointing out issues in a qualified map as a malicious act, either against the mapper or BNs involved.

It's stupid, but sometimes I see that modding maps post-qualification is discouraged (whether passively or aggressively) and those who do are told that doing so should be left solely to the QAT.
show more