forum

Who is the better player?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
balldoowell
So my girlfriend and I are having a bit of an argument right now.
Imagine a multiplayer scenario with only two people playing.
Player one scores a combo of 500x and an accuracy of 99%
Player two scores a combo of 1000x with an accuracy of 89%

Its no question that player two won the game, but does that make them a better play than the other?
I say player one is better, because had they not missed that single note they would have won by a landslide.
My girlfriend however thinks that player two is the better player simply because they had won the game.

does skill correlate to accuracy or nah you decide
B1rd
This goes in G&R not here.
Mahogany
Accuracy>Score
B1rd

balldoowell wrote:

Whats that
Discussions about the game go on Gameplay and Rankings. Not really a hard concept to understand

And about the score thing, the higher combo is what matters in multiplayer. So in this situation the higher combo score is the better one.
ZenithPhantasm
Accuracy is probably a better indication. Im pretty sure the player with 99% could FC given a few more times. However, the one with 89% is mashing and clearly can't play the map properly.
Dephix
depends on maps
Endaris

silmarilen wrote:

i am the better player
^ this

generally speaking combo is more important than accuracy but if it's a huge deficit(3% difference or more) then the combo isn't really worth something anymore unless you're jesus.
Fartlo
99% with 500 combo is just a shitmiss/sliderbreak. It already shows that the player can play the song without any difficulty. Any accuracy below 98.5% shows that the map is a bit out of one's comfort zone. Anything under 90% you are just barely keeping up and mashing.
GoldenWolf
The result does not always matter

Player one is miles better than player two, just because he can actually follow the map properly, while player two is just festmashing everything and hope to hold a combo

On a side note, I'm the betterest player.
pandaBee
The high acc player is better.

If the accuracies were closer (97-98/ 98-99/99-100) but the lower accuracy player can CONSISTENTLY get a much higher combo (not just one game, but in several) then that player is probably better despite the slight decrease in accuracy.

Usually accuracy is a better sign to judge a player's skill by than combo, though they're both important.
Barusamikosu
Player two is better because he gets PP while acc players are left crying over what could have been.
repr1se

balldoowell wrote:

So my girlfriend and I are having a bit of an argument right now.

Its no question that player two won the game, but does that make them a better play than the other?
I say player one is better, because had they not missed that single note they would have won by a landslide.
My girlfriend however thinks that player two is the better player simply because they had won the game.

I have a friend who is player 2, and I'm the player 1. Overall accuracy is the better way to go, since the combo loss can be a simple mistake. Player 2 however hasn't demonstrated the same amount of control -- lower accuracy to me means key spam.

Accuracy shows how much of the map you have mastered overall. Combo shows you can aim and click.
Yolshka
how do you 1000x combo with 89% acc?
Top Bunk

ShadyAngel wrote:

how do you 1000x combo with 89% acc?
With a bunch of 100's and 50's.

I used to be like player 2 at one point, but then I started working harder on my accuracy and did a complete 180. Now I'm in player 1's position. Unfortunately, now I have scores from forever ago that I can't beat because there's always gotta be that shitmiss.
Either way, player 1 is obviously the better player and can actually follow the map. Whereas player 2 is just a lucky SoB that can fluke their way through by mashing.
Topic Starter
balldoowell

Barusamikosu wrote:

Player two is better because he gets PP while acc players are left crying over what could have been.

Damn cold af
Endaris
Baru is just jelly that he got only 33pp more than i did on best friendS even though i missed xd
Raniemi
I prefer Player One's score
pandaBee
Think of it this way, player 1 could get the FC if he retried the map enough times, but in order for Player 2 to match player 1's accuracy he'd have to train and practice for months before he could.
Topic Starter
balldoowell
So the conclusion that I'm drawing from these posts is that I am right and my girlfriend is a fucking idiot. Tyvm you guys I just sent her a link to this thread
The Gambler
But I always play with other 20k players and none of them can mash-pass DT properly.

Mash-passing>failing songs

Also this:

I'm always player 2...
pandaBee
I'd rather fail a song than mash pass it, muh mussel memory.
The Gambler

pandaBee wrote:

Oh? I see my meme is still being used...
ZenithPhantasm

The Gambler wrote:

pandaBee wrote:

Oh? I see my meme is still being used...
Actually its Noobsicle's meme
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Actually its Noobsicle's meme
Tsk...
-Makishima S-
99% with 500 combo is just a shitmiss/sliderbreak. It already shows that the player can play the song without any difficulty. Any accuracy below 98.5% shows that the map is a bit out of one's comfort zone. Anything under 90% you are just barely keeping up and mashing.
U wot m8?

97-98% acc on ceratin maps is actualy good one. All depends on skill level, your day, your mood, that if you have to sh..... and many other variables.

90% is mashing? Also depends... i have few maps where i can keep up 100% acc on single tap part but 1-2 streams will make end acc ~90% becouse i cannot stream for shit. I am talking about maps in range 4,5-5*. How is that button mashing when i am too slow to stream?

Ridiculus....
StephOsu

[Taiga] wrote:

90% is mashing? Also depends... i have few maps where i can keep up 100% acc on single tap part but 1-2 streams will make end acc ~90% becouse i cannot stream for shit. I am talking about maps in range 4,5-5*. How is that button mashing when i am too slow to stream?

Ridiculus....
still mashed through the stream part

[Taiga] wrote:

U wot m8?
-Makishima S-
Still SS on single tap part, i dont give a single F about streams, current meta "who place more braindamaged streams into single map" is just meh.

I agree about mashed streams but somehow i need to gain speed to not mash them. Still jumping is way more funny than facerolling keyboard on stream.

Old single tap acc mapping >>>>>> current "faceroll keyboard on stream" mapping.

8-)
Barusamikosu
A player can mash and get bad acc.

A player can also mash and get good acc.
StephOsu

[Taiga] wrote:

Still SS on single tap part, i dont give a single F about streams, current meta "who place more braindamaged streams into single map" is just meh.

I agree about mashed streams but somehow i need to gain speed to not mash them. Still jumping is way more funny than facerolling keyboard on stream.

Old single tap acc mapping >>>>>> current "faceroll keyboard on stream" mapping.

8-)
good luck getting FC on beatmaps above 5 stars then
I Give Up

balldoowell wrote:

There are more factors that determine a good player. Player two might be one of those players with god aim but horrendous accuracy. While player one might be the opposite. And in osu tournament/lobby, consistent aim is far more stronger than consistent acc due to shitty combo based bullshit. It sucks but its just how it is. The player with stronger aim has better chance at winning. The only exception is when they pick a stream map so it becomes an accuracy and stamina war, this happens sometimes in tournament. In which case good aim won't mean much. I guess that's the gist of it.
Ninonuko
Yuudachi-kun

KukiMonster wrote:

balldoowell wrote:

There are more factors that determine a good player. Player two might be one of those players with god aim but horrendous accuracy. While player one might be the opposite. And in osu tournament/lobby, consistent aim is far more stronger than consistent acc due to shitty combo based bullshit. It sucks but its just how it is. The player with stronger aim has better chance at winning. The only exception is when they pick a stream map so it becomes an accuracy and stamina war, this happens sometimes in tournament. In which case good aim won't mean much. I guess that's the gist of it.
Streams also have an aim component. Ever notice the difference between the beginning and end of FD4D?
show more