forum

How Did You Discover Anime?

posted
Total Posts
show more
EneT
I've been watching anime since I was a baby and just grew up with it. Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin and Dragonball were the earliest anime I could remember watching in the tv. I wasn't allowed to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion at the time though because it was too disturbing for a 4 year olds eyes but I always watched that too whenever I could
neet_old_1
I don't like anime
olivia272
Been watching anime since very young, so my parents introduced me to it I guess.
Dranembo
Well, I watched Spirited Away as a child then I watched the other Studio Ghibli films then started watching these TV shows that I know now as anime.
The Winner Man
Little 3rd grade me stumbled upon a manga when I visited the library and that got me into manga which got me into anime.
-Kyousei-
TV and Cosplays.
Athrun
Around 2, I watch Mobile Suit Gundam Victory.
Wasn't until Year 8 when my friend told me to watch Infinite Stratos.
CrystaltheCool
Two years ago, I was all depressed because a family member died. And y'know what cures depression? Internet! One thing led to another. I discovered vocaloid (not an anime. but the box art for a good chunk of the vocaloids is in that style), and eventually anime. My first anime was Soul Eater, which I heard of from a friend. My dad and little sister introduced me to more anime.

Eventually, I found a little gem called Madoka Magica. I found it through deviantart. I also found Sword Art Online at that time, so I ended up dropping Madoka Magica after episode 8 because I found the concept of SAO more interesting, and Sayaka's death was a tad to depressing for my taste, because blue died. ;_;

After finishing up SAO, I picked up Madoka Magica again, starting from episode 8. Episodes 9 and 10 were my favorite episodes, because after those two episodes, I finally understood Kyoko and Homura's actions. And it morphed Homura from second best to number 1 in terms of favorite character from that particular anime. Kyoko was originally number 1. I then watched Rebellion Story a bajillion times, which pushed Homura down to 2nd best and Kyoko was back at the top. Also, I wanna make Kyoko my waifu.

I also watched a good chunk of SAO II. Haven't finished it yet though. :P
Karatine
That I know cartoon is not anime. My friend challenge me to finish all bleach episodes and movie in 2 weeks. Challenge accepted, finish it all in 10 days and got a terrible fever for a month, reborn as an otaku.. but doesn't really into depth of anime world. Went to youtube to watch anime review and found Anohana... feels trip.
Based_Goddess_
One day, back when my brother still lived in my current house, I caught him watching an episode of DBZ. I later got him to show me where all of the episodes were on his computer, and I finished all of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT pretty quickly. I later learned that he had more anime such as Death Note, Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, etc., and I watched them all. Since then, I've watched plenty more, and I continue to watch it as much as I can. :)
Treekii
My friend got me into Naruto in elementary school and it sprouted from there
Hitorikko
from TV ?
KapengBarako
Oh Chinese cartoons?
Jk.(Yeah, I suck at humor)
Anyways, I saw it in TV when I was 4 or so, it was Doraemon I think...dubbed in Filipino too, poor Nobita.
Alcazar
My dad introduced me to Dragon Ball Z at the age of like 3 or 4, didn't really pick up on other anime till age 7 when I saw Naruto on TV. Then again wasn't interested or really didn't look into it till age 11, now I've been watching anime since then.
Kkay1124
I was first addicted to a Sentai series. Suddenly, my friend knew I loved Japanese things, so she introduced me to anime on Netflix. Suddenly, I'm addicted to anime
[Superstar]_old
I've watched a few Animes in TV sometimes as a kid. But eventually most of it became uninteresting until like 2008 or so. I was randomly watching youtube videos and somehow got onto this: *click*
So I just went and watched the Anime the AMV was about and I was fascinated!
Zuikaku
Walked into the movie rental section one day, accidentally knocked off some "H" titles (took me like a week to figure out that "H" is it's own branch of anime) and looked up on the web what the genre was called, and then I started to watch shows like Evangelion (2015 ftw) and that's how I found anime :D
Apple-san
I start to watch when I'm 6 years old because I suddenly open the youtube link
and I really like arts so I saw the drawings and being addict and never stop watching anime.
PrinceArua
I don't know when I actually learned that anime was a thing. But when I was younger I read Naruto and discovered by a friend that Naruto had an anime as well, so I watched it.
Olipop
Um... I was extremely young and my mom enjoyed all of the Hayao Miyazaki movies and we would watch them as a family.
When I realized anime wasn't "fully" accepted, my mom bought me manga in the name of "to get this kid to actually read and enjoy reading". For a while, I snubbed the haters comments and continued to enjoy myself in the world of anime and manga. Now there's no escape...
LukaXGAMErs
By my brother, He said that I watched Fate Stay Night and Gakuen Alice (an old anime shows) while I was a kid, I don't really remember though.. I really want to remember it!
Shira
got recommended it by my cousins :P
gave up shortly tho xD
then recommended again from my sister~
LeafyStorm
While I was ~4 I tried watching Pokemon since I liked it, but my brother always turned the tv off and I didn't know what anime really was. Later I found out, when I was around 10, that you could watch it with internet and what it really was. And I still watch it now.
Mafuuu
Saw my cousin watching Fairy Tail during great grandma's funeral. Watched with him, asked for the title, then continued watching at home.
Suri
I was forced to watch TV when i used to be in elementary school because my parents both worked fulltime, and then it started with Animes like Digimon and Card Captor Sakura, and today, Card Captor Sakura is still one of my favorites ♥ Then i didn't watch it for years but when I woke up, i remembered it and rewatched everything and now i'm totally addicted to animes and mangas :D
[ LJ ]
friends and because AOT looked interesting xD
puccithecat
watching it on tv
Runiel
My dad bought me a DVD of the first Naruto Episode when i was about 6, But i never really found interest until 2013.
BlackGoldSaw
I used to fall asleep on the couch as a kid while I watched stuff like Eureka 7 or InuYasha. I didn't know it was anime then, though. Years later, at the beginning of highschool, a guy told me about Angel Beats!
Meah
Tv
yousofashraf
Nee-chan told me about it ...i was a kid back then and we were watching. " Chibi maroko chan "
Then i serched for anime and watched " lovely complex " the found alot of anime websites
And BOOM i became an Otaku ! :) :) :D
_Hatsumi
I've been introduced to anime since i was a kid, when doraemon still shows up on the tv xD

but how do i discover anime? I got curious by One-Punch Man and ask my otaku friend about it, he then let me streaming a few episode in his house, and i watched the rest episode in my home. and...................here i am, a shut-in who likes watching anime and reading manga :lol:
Sarura_old
I grew up with the Fire Emblem game series since my uncle is a collector of those games, and I watched the OVA anime based on the first game. After that, I ventured off to shows like Princess Tutu and Baccano, and I wound up where I am today, constantly adding to my list of animes to watch.
athyriel

EshkushMeh xD wrote:

A friend of mine let me borrow her collection of anime DVDs and then I got hooked :D
After that, I searched for more anime to watch and then... I became an otaku :)

(... or weeaboo. Which is the right term? ._.)
Otaku is addicted to anime/loves it.

Weaboo is an obsession.
Yocake
I got involved by reading light novels of Suzumiya Haruhi series.
kherthy
First time I've seen bleach on old popular polish TV channel called Hyper. After many years my friend told me to watch fullmetal alchemist and I became an otaku.
xeroll17
My cousin introduce me to Naruto when i was like 9 or 10, liked it enough to watch it through, after i catched up with manga i read untill the last chapter and then i found out it was still ongoing at that point. Was really tired of waiting for the next one so i found Bleach, then One Piece, then FMA, Death Note...
Rammy
netflix c:
Meah
classmates
Adorn
Had a very nice group of friends who introduced me to actually watching animes, but before that I googled it so I could copy images off Google and draw them out, that's how I started drawing too.
show more