forum

Do you lose pp for bad plays?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tekklorn
Tested what I said and it seems to be the case. The first like 2 songs I ranked top #500 in after not having done so in a few days dropped my rank, then all other maps that I got in the top #500 for increased my rank again. Could be something else but I'm guessing that your rank updates when you get top #500 and this sometimes means that your rank will drop from things like getting beat in PP and other beatmaps, not necessarily the one you just played.

Having said that, beating your previous high score and getting higher in the top #500 but having around 2% or more less accuracy does damage your rank sometimes (speaking from personal experience)
_koinuri

silmarilen wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
thats because you dropped ranks on different maps causing you to lose pp, and after you played this map it recalculated your rank.
stop thinking things that arent true and have been confirmed to not be true.
The new score's accuracy is also slightly lower than the previous score, which, like BRBP said, may drop your pp.

Get higher accuracy (even 1% difference can help light-years!)
The accuracy is considered in pp ranking system, so try getting higher accuracy if you want to gain some pp. I know I'm not in the same ranking as you guys, but I would aim for accuracy higher than 96%.

I actually doubt that the score was even considered for pp, I remember I started to struggle and started adding HDs for pp around that rank. So in this case, silmarilen would be correct.
Da Holy One

silmarilen wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
thats because you dropped ranks on different maps causing you to lose pp, and after you played this map it recalculated your rank.
stop thinking things that arent true and have been confirmed to not be true.

Just because its meant to work that way doesnt mean that it is. Im saying there is a bug.
Zare
there isn't
why do you even care, a) your rank is bad anyway, b) peppy works on ppv2
cr1mmy
I'm not sure if for bad plays but I lose them after not bad results
Da Holy One

Zarerion wrote:

there isn't

why are you insulting my rank? as far as im concerned if your not in the top 400 players then your rank is bad (of course everyone has different views on this) so imo your rank just as bad as mine is. I dont care that this issue is making my rank go down randomly im saying this because the game is doing something it shouldn't which is worth being mentioned regardless of whether it has a positive or negative influence.

P.S dont be a douche, thx
TakuMii
The rank system is working as expected. Your rank naturally falls from other people beating your scores, and the change is only reflected when your score recalculates (this can occur daily and usually only shows after achieving a new score).
Weed
If your overall accuracy goes down and you don't receive pp from the song that made your accuracy go down you go down in ranks I'm pretty sure.
GoombaJMR
Has been happening to me as well ...recently...but I think this is due to peppy getting rid of the inactive players.

Im at rank 12k-ish (at the moment), and playing a song in the next day (any song) makes me drop 100-200 ranks...this is probably because other people at the 12k rank are playing songs for pp too, and they eventually pass you. This update peppy made will make it more difficult to rank higher, due to more active people trying to get more pp every single day~!
TheVileOne
There shouldn't be this much discussion about this. pp doesn't go down by playing in 99.99% of cases and certainly not for people with average pp ranks. Better rank usually means more pp even if you have worse accuracy, because you are beating players with higher pp counts. The amount of pp that people have in the maps you rank in changing can have an effect on your pp and losing even 1 pp can be a great effect on rank when you aren't very highly ranked.
Story
The only way to lose pp is if you beat one of your scores that gave you pp with a higher score but LOWER ACCURACY or you lost ranks on songs that gave you pp( very common on newly ranked maps since for example rank 1 on a song should give more pp then a rank 100)
Story
and Da Holy One when you beat a map and gain pp your rank is recalculated( other people beat your rank enough for that amount of pp you gained isn't enough to count for how much ranks you lost from them gaining more pp) and plus your top rank is a song that is unranked so that also might be a reason you lost PP since I believe unranked maps dont give pp
Violet-Fox

XPJ38 wrote:

What NixXSkate said is right. You never lose PPs for a new play, be it good or bad.

Keep in mind that you're more likely to lose ranks when being low in the rankings (#10,000 can be considered as low in this context) because a lot of people are having a very similar amount of PPs. Hence if only one person beats you on a map, you can lose some PPs and fall in the global rankings.

http://prntscr.com/7trjbs New play.
Barusamikosu

chmorto1 wrote:

http://prntscr.com/7trjbs New play.
More like new necropost.

Rank decay is pretty cool https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/3398638
-Makishima S-
You can lose pp with good plays too :3

DT worth 61pp
HR worth 51pp

So 10pp lose ^^
NixXSkate

[Taiga] wrote:

You can lose pp with good plays too :3

DT worth 61pp
HR worth 51pp

So 10pp lose ^^
This thread was back in ppv1
Zare

Zare wrote:

there isn't
oh my fucking god lol
Insyni
Obviously a necroed thread.... but still worth posting in.

How much pp should a person expect from decay? I think I get -240 like 3 times a day (usually when greatly improve one of my scores). I can't be decaying that fast right?
ZenithPhantasm
Inb4 lock
Mahogany

Insyni wrote:

Obviously a necroed thread.... but still worth posting in.

How much pp should a person expect from decay? I think I get -240 like 3 times a day (usually when greatly improve one of my scores). I can't be decaying that fast right?
It's possible.

The higher your rank the fewer ranks you will decay per day and you're not even 50k so that figure is believable to me.
jesse1412
Holy fuck I was about to go batshit at the amount of wrong posts in this thread until I saw the age. Wow blast from the past.
Yuudachi-kun
Yeah I almost thought the first reply was retarded
Bauxe
I think PP would be better if it gave a set PP for your play (as is), but then was multiplied based on map rank. Kinda a mix between PPv1 and PPv2.
-Shiro
I think it's kinda stupid that a music game punishes you like this for playing songs that you might like but you can only get C in. Thats like telling you to stop liking music, and focus on the game... Which is kinda usefull but also a little rough
Mahogany
Don't mind me just posting in a 7 month old thread
TMiracle

-Shiro wrote:

I think it's kinda stupid that a music game punishes you like this for playing songs that you might like but you can only get C in. Thats like telling you to stop liking music, and focus on the game... Which is kinda usefull but also a little rough

Why dafuq are you necroing such a old thread???
Yuudachi-kun

-Shiro wrote:

This isn't punishment; you're being retarded
Saphirshroom

-Shiro wrote:

You would be right if osu were a music player. It's a game though. I would think the difference is quite apparent.
Deva

Saphirshroom wrote:

-Shiro wrote:

You would be right if osu were a music player. It's a game though. I would think the difference is quite apparent.
But what if you use osu just to listen to the music?
TMiracle
noone plays osu for the music - everyone plays it because of pp.
Even those who deny, deep in their hearts - they care about pp.
Mahogany

HK_ wrote:

Then you don't need to go any further than the song select and you won't have any problems
Saphirshroom

HK_ wrote:

Saphirshroom wrote:

Then you don't get a C in your grades for doing that, so you're fine.
Sayorie

TMiracle wrote:

I was right all along.
trebby
But seriously, there are some songs you can't normally find for download if it weren't on osu. It works in a weird place for copyright.
TMiracle
Or you can fand some really awesome stuff when searching maps.
I found Reol because of osu. <3
I Give Up

Arthraxium wrote:

TMiracle wrote:

I was right all along.
This is incorrect. Many people play for entertainment or to improve, FC unranked maps or old difficult maps that don't give pp coz low OD yet require more skill.
TMiracle

KukiMonster wrote:

This is incorrect. Many people play for entertainment or to improve, FC unranked maps or old difficult maps that don't give pp coz low OD yet require more skill.
to improve so they can gain more pp.
And they play unranked for training, so they can git gud and gid gud = more pp.
Yuudachi-kun
This is true for me
N0thingSpecial
Play osu for the music > urge to FC the song you like > listen to music & gain PP

of course there will always be that song that some mappers decide to not make easier difficulty for.
I Give Up

TMiracle wrote:

Improving =/= more pp.

riviclia - most unerranked mouse only player only plays for crazy clusterfuck scores. cptnXn - stopped caring about pp after he got top #10 only plays crazy hard no mods (in fact still has 200pp plays in his top scores, total opposite of farming). Omforz - embodiment of fuckyoupp. Me - don't care about 250pp DT plays anymore just want to practise no mod consistency even if I miss out free DT pp.
show more