forum

supercell - The Bravery (TV Edit)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Alarido
Solution for such imbroglio:

@monstrata:

* Please call Dexfrild or someone very very experienced on hitsounds to redesign/make up them.

* After this, call me back for checking everything.
ziin
Combo colors must not blend in with the map's background/storyboard/video. This is so the approach circles are always visible to the player.
Stop using shitty combo colors that you get from the background. Use something bright and/or edit the combo color a higher saturation/luminosity than the base color.

Pretty much any color darker than #80 when converted to grayscale is going to run into issues. Not to mention, kiai and other additive effects are significantly less vibrant at lower RGB values since additive blending adds the RGB value to the color underneath. If you use a black combo color for example, kiai will not work at all because you use 0 for the RGB values, adding 0 to everything. Not to mention, anyone using background dim without a skin force will hate you.

Just delete the color and move on with your life. Nobody is defending how this combo color adds to the song. Everyone is just complaining about the disqualification for something that doesn't seem like a big deal. Drop the AR9 to AR8.9. Change the claps to whistles. Done. I sincerely doubt that there would have been a disqualification if the blue were a better color.

TheGrimOfCrazy wrote:

1. I study colour theory and know for a fact that if any colour were hard to see on this bg it would not be the dark blue but actually the orange.
Its common for people to hate on dark blue when they play full dim but that doesn't apply to ranking. Please test on default skin if your skin can't handle dark colours well.
Clearly you don't know about how osu! colorization works. Even if the entire background were the exact orange color chosen, the simple fact that the orange is 255,149,43 means that the background when dimmed to the default of 30%, 178,104,30. That's a difference of 77,45,13, which is pretty substantial. The dark blue is just 23,46,83. The difference from a pure blue background would be 7,14,25.

I always test on default skin, and the default skin is very hard to see the dark blue, mainly for the reasons I outlined above. Mappers need to get over themselves and follow the rules. Please note that there is no rule about soft hitclaps or AR9, so those are purely opinionated reasons outlined by the QAT, which are debatable. The dark blue combo color clearly violates the rules.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
But my bg isn't anywhere near a solid blue color lol. Tbh, now that i think about it, its better to consider the readability of the approach circle based on its entire play time, not just screen shots. It plays just fine for me. Calling it unreadable is completely inaccurate but semantics aside, waiting for Loctav/ztrot.
Saoji

ziin wrote:

The dark blue combo color clearly violates the rules.
No.
There was a topic about combo colors saying that rules should be added in ranking criteria for black and white combo being hard to read (I disagree with white lol) but anyway, it got denied. So even there your dark blue color is out of subject. I agree it can look a bit odd at first sight on 100% dim but it's totally readable and if I personally disagree with it I can just put my own skin combo.

Anyway, what we're saying is that it's a minor thing and doesn't warrant a (last minute) DQ. I mean, the topic cleary shows that nobody cares of it.
ziin

monstrata wrote:

But my bg isn't anywhere near a solid blue color lol. Tbh, now that i think about it, its better to consider the readability of the approach circle based on its entire play time, not just screen shots. It plays just fine for me. Calling it unreadable is completely inaccurate but semantics aside, waiting for Loctav/ztrot.
I call it blending in with the background, not unreadable. The only unreadable color is black on black.

That being said, the dark blue color is significantly less readable than the other colors in the top left corner of the playfield. The QATs and myself agree that this is too much.

Yales wrote:

I mean, the topic cleary shows that nobody cares of it.
There are times when black and white can be appropriate, thus it shouldn't be a rule.

Yales wrote:

Anyway, what we're saying is that it's a minor thing and doesn't warrant a (last minute) DQ.
Breaking any rule warrants a DQ.
Saoji

ziin wrote:

Since the map stays readable there's nothing wrong. And you said yourself that combo colors doesn't need any rule.

Breaking any rule warrants a DQ. However combo color isn't a rule. So there's no broken rule here. -> Abusive disqualification.
ziin

Yales wrote:

ziin wrote:

Since the map stays readable there's nothing wrong. And you said yourself that combo colors doesn't need any rule.

Breaking any rule warrants a DQ. However combo color isn't a rule. So there's no broken rule here. -> Abusive disqualification.
White combo color on black background is fine. Black combo color on white background (while silly and I'd advise against it) is also fine. Black on red is fine. Combo color is a rule, you can't have it blending into the background.
byfar
combo color is fine/readable for me
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Where does it say the specific color I chose is unrankable? Only pure black and white are objectively dq'able. I'm referring to qat when saying the color is apparently unreadable.

Ziin- blending is subjective, your color number jargon assumes a bg that is a solid color, which is not the case.
ziin

monstrata wrote:

Ziin- blending is subjective, your color number jargon assumes a bg that is a solid color, which is not the case.
Yes, the rule is subjective. My jargon assumes a solid color because that section of the map is a mostly solid color, which is the only trouble area.

Can you really say that this does not blend at all?
Kibbleru
played absolutely fine to me. imo orange is worse lol
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Can you really say that this does not blend at all?

Point is, circles and sliders don't move, therefore they can be considered based on screenshots alone, but the approach circle moves. Saying it's "unreadable" based on strategically cropped screen-shots is poor judgement.
Saoji
I actually tested it 0% dim (which didn't happen in 2 years lol) with my own skin, which gives a way more darker blue than it is with default skin http://puu.sh/iFh8c/de7867af31.jpg and I had no problem at all fcing (and so read) it first try. There's really no problem with this color. lol
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Talked with ztrot, and it looks like it's going to take a long time before the contest even gets looked at. This sucks, because the changes (very minimal) are easily applied. I'm considering just making the adequate changes pointed out in the disqualification post and moving on with things. pishi, captin, what do you two think?

Insane> Lower AR to 8.8
Combo Color > delete the dark blue color
Hitsounds > Replace the claps with soft-whistles (or nothing).
LeeoS
I love this map, the song is awesome too :)
awesome work in this beatmap.
Lolparty
So the QATs fight contests by waiting them out. nice
pishifat

monstrata wrote:

pishi, captin, what do you two think?
do it
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Problem with contesting a dq is that its only run by two people, and neither of which are the qat responsible for dq'ing the map. There is no longer a system in place to discuss points with the QATs and/or to see and better understand the QAT's perspective on subjective DQ's. Everyone makes mistakes, QATs included. Posting under the name "Quality Assurance Team" means you are speaking on the team's behalf. It doesn't mean the entire team has gone through the map and came to the same conclusion.

If you guys want to post as a "team" it would be nice if your posts were more thorough too, because the DQ's back when dq's were handled by individual members were often far more helpful and didn't (intention or not) offend the mapper as much. Anonymity allows one to be harsher with words without as many drawbacks. Calling that blue combo color "unreadable" by any standard was exaggerating lol.

Anyways, lets get this rolling again
captin1
00:17:370 (4) - a (in magi)
Topic Starter
Monstrata
oops. removed clap.
captin1
boop
Topic Starter
Monstrata
talked with pishi. we decided to remove the claps from the later section 00:21:656 - 00:30:545 - as well because the QAT bot's dq was aimed at there being too many hitsounds in a relatively quiet section. i'm fine with this.

sry about my internet lol i literally didnt get any replies on irc.
pishifat
Background
68747470733a2f2f646c2e64726f70626f7875736572636f6e74656e742e636f6d2f752f36343330393535332f6f73752f496d70726f76656420496d616765732f6d6f6e7374726174612f6d61672e6a7067.jpg is 1366x768, which differs from the recommended size of 1024x768.
Spaghetti
sick edits b r o
Haruto
Regrats!, i hope it won't DQed again :)
walaowey
gratz again xD
Hope nothing happen this time :D
meii18
Suddenly I found this mapset requalified.Regratz monstrata :3
schwarzvgrune
congratulations <3 o(≧v≦)o~~
Topic Starter
Monstrata
We made it!!!

Thanks for all the support! specially pishi <3 mp3 editing op.
Modem
I'm late (= A ='''')
Congratz monstrata~!
Very nice mappu <3
Saoji

Lolparty wrote:

So the QATs fight contests by waiting them out. nice
^

Anyway, there were only minor things.
Congratulations!!