How to progress smartly through the basic levels of gameplay

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
play more™

Well.
Yes and no.
You weren't coming to this subforum if you wouldn't search a hidden secret behind this truth.
Therefore I'll try to elaborate a short and quick way that will cause you to play maps that are good for your improvement and probably avoid some bad habits.
There are certainly better ways but I think it's fairly safe to go with this one as a new player (it's probably kinda useless for good players).
I'm targeting players from 0 to ~1500 pp here. Maybe this is applicable at even higher levels but I'm a mediocre 2k-pp player so how should I know.

This is all about how you practice without being an idiot and does not have anything to do with how you play the game in terms of device/tapstyle and even gamemode.
I expressed it differently in the title to catch people's attention, huehue.

Important notice on mods: Avoid DT and HR until you're good(good like in 3000 pp). While HR seems like a possible and challenging mod in your early stages of playing, both mods will soon lead into bad habits or become plain impossible to play properly(AR7+HR/AR8+DT=Death for inexperienced players that have yet to master some basics).
It is ok to toy around with every mod for a bit but the ability to play nomod is the fundament to being successful with every mod. Therefore you should try to play more nomod maps than maps with mods. SD/PF are especially counterproductive to improvement as they are about not playing the game. If you want to use them anyway, this guide is not for you.
EZ/HD/FL are the least detrimental mods to learn early and I think it even makes sense to take a look into EZ/HD relatively early but they require good nomod-fundamentals too - try them on maps you already fullcombo'd nomod. HT on maps out of your range is okay but usually unnecessary as ranking criteria ensures the availability of easier maps for the same song.
tl;dr play nomod
Step One:
Go into your options. Activate the FPS-Counter. Set your Framerate to Unlimited. Play a random map and keep checking the FPS. If it's constantly below 2ms(or above 500fps on the Fallback-version) keep it on unlimited, otherwise change it to 240 FPS. This recommendation comes from the developer himself and has something to do with osu!s weird code. Don't question it. You can turn the FPS-Counter off afterwards if it annoys you.
Do other stuff that improves your playing environment like getting a clean skin and 26476 other possible things to achieve this. I just mentioned the FPS-thing cause I personally didn't know it for a while and it didn't appear in the guides I read.
Step Two:
Download Beatmaps. Like 1k at least okay? It's fine to search for songs you like but you won't ever get enough maps to properly practice on. Abuse this, this and this to get a bunch without running in your download-restriction. As mapping changed over time I'd suggest you to take a couple of packs out of each timerange to get some insight on different mapstyles.
Step Three:
You know what Collections are?
If not, go into your map collection and rightclick any map. Choose "Manage Collections".
At the top there'll be a box that says "Select a collection or create a new one here".
I will tell you some collections you should make for my approach. The idea is to organize every single one of your maps in accuracy brackets.
I suggest the following collections:

<88%
88-92%
92-95%
95-97%
97-98%
98-99%
99%+

This has multiple advantages:
First of all they will always be on top of your collectionlist, making it easy to sort maps into the correct collection right after playing them.
Second is that the amount of badness you're showing on a map gets evaluated more rough the worse you performed. Getting 88,31% or 90,67% Accuracy on a map isn't a real difference(unless it's a streammap), it's both pretty bad and can fluctuate easily with 1-2% while the difference between 98,3% and 99,3% is a lot easier to grasp and not as inconsistent in most cases.
Step Four: Now filter your maps "By Rank Achieved"(this will keep you from scrolling through maps you don't have a score on) and sort all of your maps into the collections. If you're the newb at the game who wants this kind of instruction it will only take a few minutes. If not, oh well. Take your time, spread it over some days or be creative.
Also don't cheat yourself. If you got 91,99% on a map it doesn't belong into the 92-95% bracket. You have to make the cut at some point, be clear with it. Your best score counts, not your best acc. The reasoning for this is that a worse score implies a combobreak implying that you lost control at a point where you were stable before even though you might have had worse accuracy.
Step Five:
Create other collections that are sensible for you. People tend to have separate collections for stream-maps, maps they like, music they like(yes there's a difference between these two), warmup-maps, things they want to fc etcpp.
Step Six:
Play more. There are two kind of plays you want to make everytime you're playing osu! (to improve):
Step Six point One:
The first is sightreading maps you didn't play before.
Use a rather broad difficulty range here. As the maximum difficulty I would recommend a stardifficulty you're confident that you can get a B on though.

To find such maps you can set filters by typing "star>a.bc star<x.yz" and then happily press F2 or filter by difficulty and work your way through(If you downloaded a lot of maps you can skip songs where the preview sounds disgusting to you).

Especially if it's a map that is hard for you(considering star rating) I strongly recommend using the NoFail-Mod. You don't know if the map contains patterns you're horrible at and when talking about sightreads it's about playing the map through and seeing what you get. Even if you happen to have no problem passing the map when actually playing it, it doesn't hurt either and NF makes it very easy for you to beat that score later in case you got a highcombo-lowacc-play or something similar.

Sightreads shall improve your ability to read all the patterns osu! has to offer and even while you might get some fullcombos you can easily achieve them later on again(also NF only gives a 10% pp-penalty which is pretty much nothing at a low pp-count).

Remember to put every map you played into the according accuracy bracket right after finishing it. It's a good habit.
Step Six point Two:
Now the work with accuracy brackets is coming into play.
Filter your maps by Collections and Difficulty.

Your aim should be to move some maps into a higher accuracy bracket everytime you're playing. Focusing on the 88-97 range ensures that the maps you're playing are challenging you in some way while playing maps in the 97+ brackets are suited to practice pinpoint accuracy and consistency.
Choose a bracket first.
Select the easiest map from the respective bracket, play it no-mod and try hard for your accuracy. However a rule of thumb:
Don't play maps from the accuracy-brackets more than once in 3 days - assuming you're playing everyday, make sure you played a reasonable amount of maps inbetween otherwise - if you want to play a specific map more often put it in your like-collection or something like that. Trying to fix a score while fixing accuracy leads to a lot of retrying without much benefit.

If you find that you failed to move 2 or 3 consecutive maps in a bracket you should go to another bracket or go for sightreads as it is very unlikely that you will have success on improving your acc on even harder maps of that bracket then.

It is up to you which brackets you attend the most but you should try to look into each one once in a while(99+ excluded). Personally 88-95% is most satisfying for me but I guess that's part of personal preference.

The great thing about this is: Due to the fact that you won't be playing the same maps all the time you will improve on the other maps you're playing between two plays of the same maps meaning that it is very likely that you will be able to easily move the map into a higher accuracybracket with one try(that's motivating you know, psychology).
The other thing is that you will be playing the maps with a low star rating that are hard for you more often than others. Therefore you will inevitably tackle your problems and become a better player as a result.

Depending on the amount of maps you're shipping around in your collection you will find that a lot of 1-2 star maps pile up in the 95-97 and the 97-98 bracket especially when focusing on the 88-92/92-95 brackets. In the <88%-bracket you will usually find all the maps that are too hard for you and you miserably failed on and the close ones with 86-88% will quickly move into the 88-92%-bracket.
It's okay to leave the maps in the 95-98% range dying and scroll down to harder maps if they are noticeably easier than your worst topplay unless you played them recently. If they become too many and it is a bother for you to scroll down you can make collections like "97-98% garbage" and put them in there so they're out of your way. Don't do it lightly though. There is usually a reason why the map didn't move up to 98%+. If you're unsure play the map.

Over a long time there will also appear some easy maps in the low brackets that seem to be outright shit and extremely hard to acc(mostly very old maps) which is why they aren't moving up. Let them rest for a longer time than you would with other maps, even they will get better with time. Some of them are shit indeed but others will only look like shit and suddenly look reasonable once you can play them properly. And even the bad ones are usually worthwhile mastering. If you can get good accuracy on something that doesn't make sense it means that you mastered the concept of that mapping technique as you're able to apply the sense yourself upon reading.
My personal unreasonably-hard-to-acc-maps
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/191580
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/22506
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/28694
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/44982
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/119595
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/43672
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/70491
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/24487
There was also that Chrono Chross-Map(from the game) but it was so dumb that I ended up deleting it cause I didn't want to see it any longer.
Of course there are a lot more but I've overcome some of them so I can't find them as easily anymore.
Step Seven:
Boost your pp by selecting specific maps that you played on the sightread-tour that you found enjoyable or easy in relation to the star rating and try to FC them with good accuracy. Having a wide variety of maps you played once gives your pp-efforts a straightforward direction and results in less time spent per pp-play.

If you're not into pp you can skip this step and play your favorite maps with Hidden, Flashlight or Easy to fully master them or whatever.

You could probably give me feedback or something. ?_?
Like fixing my horrible grammar and stuff in case you're bored.

This system is mainly based on thelewa's advice on how to get good at accuracy. I just tried to go a bit further by putting it into a somewhat motivating context.
Vuelo Eluko
Also, playing bullshit level hard stuff is a great way to warm-up and will make full-comboing things a lot easier when you step down the difficulty. confirmed by bahamete.

edit: and has worked for me
pandaBee
I disagree with your statement that 97%+ isn't as worthwhile to practice in. This is the best range to improve consistency and UR imo, which are very important things to develop in osu.
Raixor
not contributing here at all, just wanted to praise you. Nice post, I will actually start the bracket thing, your arguing makes a lot of sense :D
ZenithPhantasm
I think OP should use boxes so I don't see a great wall of text
KanoSet
well done :3
Mahogany
Overall a nice post, though I disagree with several points. I still think there's no reason to learn HD at a low level of play, or at all.

Either way, I want to bump this and hopefully this will help some people

Also, ridiculous hard shit has helped me warmup in the past too, so I can vouch for it.
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

Also, playing bullshit level hard stuff is a great way to warm-up and will make full-comboing things a lot easier when you step down the difficulty. confirmed by bahamete.

I can vouch for this. When my hand feels okay I play stupid hard shit to warmup and everything afterward seems so easy I get cool scores n stuff
Gid
http://puu.sh/iHDNe/f65bce5c73.jpg

I liked the idea and sorted things.

god damn that took long. and that's with maps below 5.1 or whatever I picked filtered out
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Riince wrote:

I can vouch for this. When my hand feels okay I play stupid hard shit to warmup and everything afterward seems so easy I get cool scores n stuff
well that about confirms it for all the skill brackets then, world class [baha], good [goldenwolf], and mediocre [me]
Topic Starter
Endaris
I changed the wording on EZ/HD/FL-Mod a bit to enforce nomod-play. Found a grammar mistake too.
I'm curious if this will still help at 4k pp as I wrote this for beginners and advanced beginners.
Not gonna add the "warm up on crazy shit"-hint to the OP though as it has nothing to do with your progression.
I guess crazy shit is just pretty good for warm-up as it forces your pace.
Gid

Endaris wrote:

I changed the wording on EZ/HD/FL-Mod a bit to enforce nomod-play. Found a grammar mistake too.
I'm curious if this will still help at 4k pp as I wrote this for beginners and advanced beginners.
Not gonna add the "warm up on crazy shit"-hint to the OP though as it has nothing to do with your progression.
I guess crazy shit is just pretty good for warm-up as it forces your pace.
I didn't do it because I expected it to make me better just to clarify
I did it because I think it'll be more satisfying than mindlessly playing and definitely more satisfying than trying to fc maps
Topic Starter
Endaris
The satisfaction is based on constant improvement though so it will only work out if you improve - also meaning that you'll eventually move maps up into your higher brackets with high/full combos.
otoed1
I never thought of using collections like this. I'm dumb, how'd I reach this rank again?

Nice post OP, hope this helps the newbies :D
Vuelo Eluko
F2, like all actually good players did
B1rd
Don't play easies and normals after the first day.
ZenithPhantasm
There should be a section about plateaus and how to deal with them.
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

except it works so differently for everybody.
ZenithPhantasm

Riince wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

except it works so differently for everybody.
Some stuff are generic and works for almost everybody
The Gambler
Get ztrot to do this on osu! academy and this will be the bible regarding how to get better.

P.S. Or alternatively, just do a video yourself. I would if I had an awesome voice like Stuart Brown from XboxAhoy.
Insyni
Will give this a try. Seems logical and may help me break the 50k rank barrier that I've been stuck at forever.
Yolshka
moving maps from a lower accuracy bracket to a higher one will give you a sense of satisfaction
rofl

Though i might try this

Edit : i didn't even know about the star>#.## when searching it works thanks for that
dung eater
sadly stars only tell you about the cursor waving aspect ,_, hav to try and see how difficult they are to tap, guestimate by objects and try them out

low stars (easy to aim) hard to tap maps are great for practicing tapping because you can ignore the aim part, concentrate on the tapping -high star (harder to aim) easy to tap maps on the other hand are good for practicing aim and farming pp
Topic Starter
Endaris

jaaakb wrote:

low stars (easy to aim) hard to tap maps are great for practicing tapping because you can ignore the aim part, concentrate on the tapping
That's exactly why these will end up on the top of every bracket for most people so they'll eventually get good with tapping by playing them more than other maps.
The Gambler

jaaakb wrote:

sadly stars only tell you about the cursor waving aspect ,_, hav to try and see how difficult they are to tap, guestimate by objects and try them out

low stars (easy to aim) hard to tap maps are great for practicing tapping because you can ignore the aim part, concentrate on the tapping -high star (harder to aim) easy to tap maps on the other hand are good for practicing aim and farming pp
Renard marathons are great
Insyni
By the way, what do you do with songs that fall in all categories? I was just playing a song which I have 99.16% on and failed it with 91% then got 97% on the next try and 94% on the try after that... :?
pandaBee

Insyni wrote:

By the way, what do you do with songs that fall in all categories? I was just playing a song which I have 99.16% on and failed it with 91% then got 97% on the next try and 94% on the try after that... :?
What? are you saying you had 99.16% but died on a difficulty spike ?
Insyni

pandaBee wrote:

Insyni wrote:

What? are you saying you had 99.16% but died on a difficulty spike ?
I mean I have FCed it twice with 99%. Then when I went back to do it again I failed.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/315011&m=0 (Hyper)
I sometimes will miss the single taps randomly. Usually if I miss one I miss the rest in the sequence.

Anyways, I just put it in a lower bracket because I obviously can't read it with consistency.
Topic Starter
Endaris
I think I mentioned somewhere that the best score counts.
Insyni

Endaris wrote:

I think I mentioned somewhere that the best score counts.
When comparing it to best accuracy.

Though if you have a song you FC with 99%, then go back a few days later and only get 95% with a lower score... wouldn't it be best to move it down a few brackets?
Barusamikosu

Insyni wrote:

Though if you have a song you FC with 99%, then go back a few days later and only get 95% with a lower score... wouldn't it be best to move it down a few brackets?
I wouldn't get too worked up over it. There are certain stream maps I can finish with either 99%+ or <96% depending on my focus levels going into the map. Just go with your best score.
Topic Starter
Endaris
No.
This system is meant for effective practice.
If you can get a 99% FC on a song it means that the song is not suited to be good practice even if there may be some hard parts for you. Being able to fc a song with 99% acc in 9 of 10 plays is NOT the desired result of this method

The maps that will stay in the lower brackets are maps that you have serious problems with and they will often contain a lot of elements you're very inconsistent on. Essentially this method is a filter method for good practice maps - maps that present you your problem(s) in the most simple context.
Maps you can't even hope to get good acc on without actually solving the problem(s).

Look at this map for example:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/366241
My acc always drops at the concluding streams by like 2% so i usually get below 97% acc on it.
The streams are obviously my problem here in terms of acc but the map is not good to practice them cause there's literally only one problematic part at the very end(I got a 96% S on it with one sliderbreak, so I could FC it with some effort).
I got some maps in my lower brackets though that are more suited to practice streaming so if I want the brackets to represent my problem density there's no sense to put the map i linked into a lower bracket again cause the amount of problems won't change from me getting 2% acc less out of randomness.
pandaBee

Endaris wrote:

Being able to fc a song with 99% acc in 9 of 10 plays is NOT the desired result of this method
Why not? It's good for trying to reduce UR on maps that take a lot of focus to do well (e.g. streams)
Topic Starter
Endaris
You will be able to do it anyway if you got better by practicing on suited maps. This was written in the sense that this isn't the criteria for bracketsorting.
Just saying that such maps are not as good for practice as others.
Also UR is something that decreases on its own as you continue to play more. I never played for UR yet it went down consistently.
Vuelo Eluko
good way to decrease ur is to play maps that aren't demanding in the aim category but are higher od than you are used to so you are getting like 96%-97% then get that up to 99

also hard rock if you are fully comfortable with ar10 and cs5.2

I really see no difference between 99% and 100%, both mean the player is playing the map at a perfect level imo, at least for me, if i get 99% it's because of mess-ups that are me related and not related to the difficulty of the map, and are usually at random parts.
pandaBee

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

good way to decrease ur is to play maps that aren't demanding in the aim category but are higher od than you are used to so you are getting like 96%-97% then get that up to 99
Yup. Though I would argue that you can do this even without increasing the OD, simply by listening to the hitsounds. I can usually tell when my hitsounds are off even if I get a 300
Vuelo Eluko

pandaBee wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

Yup. Though I would argue that you can do this even without increasing the OD, simply by listening to the hitsounds. I can usually tell when my hitsounds are off even if I get a 300
wish i had that option
show more