forum

Realtime Beatmap Nominator Ranking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
p3n
The old monthly Beatmap Nominator Ranking officially ended on May 1st. Welcome to the future:

The Real-time Beatmap Nominator Ranking

The new ranking, as the name implies, will feature real-time scores. The main goal of the old ranking will remain but the focus has changed. The old system was focused on individual performance over a set timeframe to help BNs evaluate the quality of their work. It was also designed to add an element of challenge and competition. The real-time ranking will mainly focus on challenge and collaboration. The aim of "helping mappers" will be more prominent.

What does that mean?

Every documented activity of the BNs will count towards their score. The goal for the BNs is to "get high quality maps ranked". Therefore all the BNs who worked towards a successful rank will be rewarded. Activity and contribution to the final rank of a map will remain important as well.

Mapcycles and Rank Score

What is a "Mapcycle"?

A Mapcycle is a tool to break the ranking process into numbers and make them comparable.

1. Every mapset starts its first Mapcycle with the submission.
  2. A Mapcycle ends when the mapset is either disqualified or ranked after the 7 day period.
  3. A disqualification will also start a new Mapcycle.
  4. Following this every mapset can have multiple Mapcycles - ideally we only want one Mapcycle and end it in a successful rank.
  5. Every contribution like Bubbles/Pops/Hearts will be counted towards your score when the Mapcycle ends.

Who will earn Rank Score points?

1. Rank Score and Contribution are calculated as soon as a Mapcycle is finished.
  2. The Heart icon and the last Bubble before the Heart (the "nomination Bubble") are eligible to earn Rank Score.
  3. A successful rank will award positive score for the two or three qualifying BNs.
  4. Mapcycles that end because of disqualification will apply a penalty to the score of the qualifying BNs.

How is Rank Score calculated?

Each mapset has a basic value. The value is calculated from:
  1. Drain Time
  2. Amount of difficulties
  3. Amount of game modes that are covered
Basically: short mapsets with few difficulties are worth less than huge or long mapsets. The higher amount of work you have to put in marathon maps or similar huge projects will be rewarded.

Contribution Score

What is Contribution Score?

This is a bonus score awarded to every BN who contributed to the mapset by setting icons like Bubbles or Bubble Pops but was not directly involved in the nomination. All icon actions are unique to each Mapcycle. This means that even if you "repair" a Bubble 20 times in a single Mapcycle it only counts as one icon.

Contribution Score is only awarded for the last Mapcycle of successfully ranked mapsets!

Is there a catch?

Yes. If you focus only on contributing "safe" icons and don't aquire any Rank Score, the amount of points you gain from the Contribution Score Bonuses will diminish until it reaches 0 (it hits 0 after occuring 7 times in a row). After that, following Contribution Scores will be negative and reduce your total score. Every Rank Score you gain will reset the Contribution Score Bonus back to its full value.

The relation between Rank Score and Contribution

How are they related?

There are two relations. A time based relation and a contributor relation that takes the number of BNs who actively worked on the mapset into account.

Time based relation:

The qualification time between the last bubble and the heart icon determines how big the score bonus will be.

1. Ranking Bonus: First 3 days give 0 bonus. After that the bonus will increase until it caps after 30 days.
  2. Contribution Bonus: The longer the qualification time, the less bonus for contributors not directly involved in the qualification.

Contributor relation:

The amount of contributing individual BNs determines how much of the resulting qualification is based on a multitude of contributors or the sole work of the nominators.

1. There is no Contribution Bonus unless there is at least one additional BN contributing with a Bubble, Repair, or Pop who is not directly involved in the nomination.
  2. Rank Bonus starts out at 100% and will decline until there are 10 or more Contributors.

The Resulting Score

How is the resulting score calculated?

To get a better view on consistent performance, the last 7 Rankscores or Contributions are combined into your score. This happens as soon as a mapcycle that awards you points or a penalty ends. This score is added to your overall "Score Balance" - much like before in the monthly ranking. One single disqualification in that window will not be a massive penality but multiple disqualifications will stack up and result into a way more severe penalty. The biggest chunks of your final score will be the Rankscores you aquired by nominating a mapset.

Modding and Activity

Mods that have been awarded Kudosu will count towards the realtime mod score. Every mod will be evaluated in connection to the previous one. The longer the time between mods the lower the score. Full scoring timeframe is currently 7 days. After that time the score for your next mod will decline every day until your next mod.

After 30 days the inactivity penalty is automatically applied to your score and the timer is set to 0 again.
Topic Starter
p3n

FAQ

When will the realtime scores be visible for everyone?

As soon as we are sure the score values are balanced. The system is working for the most part right now and adjustments to numeric values are made.

I can't mod on a regular basis. How will the inactivity penalty affect me?

Inactivity will affect your next mod. So don't be surprised to see a mod you did after 2-4 weeks of inactivity with negative score. If you can only do a bunch of mods every few weeks that is perfectly fine because only the first mod will be negative and all the others will be full points. Also remember that only mods that got kudosu will be counted shortly after you received them. You will receive an automatic penalty every 30 days without any mods. This penalty will be balanced to allow BNs a reasonable amount of "free time" before they will be considered "inactive".

Is there a limit to Rank Score/Mod Score?

No. You can go wild and ramp up those points.

Why is the realtime system so difficult to understand?

It is a "skill based risk/reward system". The more experience you have and the better you are at evaluating mapsets the easier it is for you to gain points. You can still try your luck even if you don't know what you are doing. The QATs will thank you for all the extra work they have to do ;) So overall it is less complex than the old monthly system: You mod maps until they reach a high quality and then you nominate them for qualification. Each of these steps will reward you with points. There are finer details to each step but that is basically it.

Why are contributors that were not directly involved in the final qualification of a mapset not punished?

Because punishment is not what the ranking is about. It is a necessary performance indicator but not the main aspect. Rather than focusing on punishing every BN involved in a disqualification we'd rather reward every BN involved in a successful rank. And that is exactly what we are doing: Every BN involved in a successful rank - even if they were not the "lucky" ones to set the last icons - will be rewarded.

Why do the QATs always disqualify my nominated mapset :cry:

Because the BNs, QATs and all the modders work together to ensure the highest quality of ranked mapsets that is possible. This is the combined work of the modding community which you are a big part of. A disqualification is usually something to learn from. Also QATs don't have free reign over disqualifications - they would face the wrath of the tiger, the dawn of the popcorn fairy, or be trampled by the hoofs of the professor for any abuse. They are also not rewarded for disqualifications and basically trapped in a constant state of slavery. If you do exceptional work as BNs you will probably share their fate in the future so maybe don't overdo it. ;)

How does the Mapset Value work?

Complex mapsets covering multiple game modes or mapsets that are really long will reward you with huge Rank Scores. Since BNs are supposed to evaluate and check mapsets in their entirety, the Score will also increase for mapsets with a lot of difficulties. You can approximate the value of a mapset by looking at the overall drain time of all difficulties combined. Example: TV Size with 4 difficulties = 4 x 1:25

Sieg

p3n wrote:

officially ended on May 1st
good to know that official news come at us in a timely manner:3
Loctav

Sieg wrote:

p3n wrote:

officially ended on May 1st
good to know that official news come at us in a timely manner:3
p/4111242
Kuron-kun
This new system looks great!

But what are "safe" icons supposed to be, exactly? Didn't understand that part.
Sieg
alright, first of all thanks for a hard work on improving the system, it looks so complicated nowxD

so I can see modding scores decays for inactivity
as for ranking scores - my icons should go at least 1 time a week into ranked state to not get decay?
so I'll get negative ranking scores only for disqualifies? That means I don't have to do bn job to remain in bng? only modding is enough?
Loctav

Kuron-kun wrote:

This new system looks great!

But what are "safe" icons supposed to be, exactly? Didn't understand that part.
Safe icons are icons that can not possibly strike you upon a disqualification. For example, you bubbled something, this bubble got popped, someone else rebubbled and even another qualifies it. Your contribution gets awarded for your initial efforts, but you will for sure not be blamed for a disqualification. So the icons are 'safe'. Doing too many of them will result in a penality. You should try to push your doings in a way that you are the actual last bubbler and/or qualifier of the mapset.
Cherry Blossom
Hmm Concerning Modding and Activity, and kudosu. (i didn't say BN activity)
Does this mean the BN has to mod maps (i didn't say set icons) frequently to save his BN score ? I mean, if he doesn't mod in a delay of 7days his score will decrease or he will get less "points" after modding a map ? Or I just misunderstood ?
ZiRoX

Cherry Blossom wrote:

Hmm Concerning Modding and Activity, and kudosu. (i didn't say BN activity)
Does this mean the BN has to mod maps (i didn't say set icons) frequently to save his BN score ? I mean, if he doesn't mod in a delay of 7days his score will decrease or he will get less "points" after modding a map ? Or I just misunderstood ?
After 7 days the score you get per mod will decrease, eventually reaching negative value. So, if you take too long from your last mod, you lose score; if you don't take thaat long (but still over the 7 days limit), you get some win, but a small one, if you do it frequently, you get a steady win).
JBHyperion
I'm a little confused about how Ranking/Contribution Score (based on icons) and Modding/Activity Score (based on receiving kudosu) gel together, namely:
  1. Is Modding Score accounted for as the kudosu is awarded, or when the map leaves the qualifying period?
  2. Does it add up indefinitely, or will only the last "X" mod posts / mod posts within the current 7 rankscores/contributions / mod posts within the last 30 days count?
Also, since the new system seems to be promoting multi-mode mapsets, I assume that mode-specific bubbles will be worth less than regular ones?
Little

Loctav wrote:

For example, you bubbled something, this bubble got popped, someone else rebubbled and even another qualifies it. Your contribution gets awarded for your initial efforts, but you will for sure not be blamed for a disqualification. So the icons are 'safe'.
This is illogical. Nominating a map is the same as saying "there are no problems in this map, it is ready to be ranked." If the map gets disqualified, it could mean that you missed something while checking the map, which the other nominators also missed.
Let's take an analogy: Say, you are an engineer, and you review a design for a bridge, determine that it is safe, and seal it. A second engineer reviews the design, and finds a flaw. After the flaw has been fixed, the second engineer puts his seal on the design. A third engineer seals the design, and it is approved. Six years later, the bridge collapses and ten people die, because there was a mistake that none of you noticed. How are you any less responsible for it than the other two?
BeatofIke

Sieg wrote:

it looks so complicated now xD
Indeed XD
meii18
Looks great the new system but seems a bit harder I'm really confused now ;_;
sheela
About the Ranking Score, if I understand correctly, you will receive more points when the time between the last bubble and the heart icons is long, but for the contributers, they'll receive less points.
DakeDekaane
tl;dr keep your usual modding and iconing.

This just adds that if you want to get a nice score, be sure of what you're qualifiying has zero flaws and is at its best. I just hope the inactivity penalty isn't that big :(
meii18

DakeDekaane wrote:

I just hope the inactivity penalty isn't that big :(
Yeah me too :c
Kibbleru
or b gud at RNG :D
Yauxo

DakeDekaane wrote:

This is my biggest concern with this. I dont mod often, but if I do, it's usually in a burst (5 mods/day with 2 weeks break as opposed to 5 mods in 2 weeks for example)

Well, let's see how things go
ZiRoX

Yauxo wrote:

DakeDekaane wrote:

This is my biggest concern with this. I dont mod often, but if I do, it's usually in a burst (5 mods/day with 2 weeks break as opposed to 5 mods in 2 weeks for example)

Well, let's see how things go
See p/3933612 for a small example on how the system would still allow this
Topic Starter
p3n
FAQ updated.
Kuron-kun

p3n wrote:

they would face the wrath of the tiger, the dawn of the popcorn fairy, or be trampled by the hoofs of the professor for any abuse.
Definitely the best part of the FAQ <3
show more