forum

Multiple colours for hitscores depending on hiterror

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,308
show more
Redon
GhostFrog

Redon wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Distinguishing between early misses and late misses would be more misleading than useful, I think, and would probably also require delaying the miss graphic in a ton of cases, which is just bad. I'm neutral on the actual request, but if it gets implemented, please no hit0e and hit0L
How would it delay the miss graphic? The "too late" misses already pop up only once you're past a note's timing window, and the "too early misses" pop up right as you click a note before its timing window begins.

As optional, skinnable elements I would really like to see this added.
Assuming "late misses" get distinguished from "YOU DIDN'T PRESS ANYTHING, YOU IDIOT" misses, the game would have to wait for you to try to press a key before displaying the hit0L graphic and even then I don't know how the game would make the distinction between a late attempt at one note or an early attempt at the next in certain cases (streams).

Actually I might be thinking about this wrong, but I still wouldn't want early and late misses to be a thing.
Redon
abraker
Why not just add a "+" or "-" after the score indicating if you are late or early?
GhostFrog

Redon wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Assuming "late misses" get distinguished from "YOU DIDN'T PRESS ANYTHING, YOU IDIOT" misses, the game would have to wait for you to try to press a key before displaying the hit0L graphic and even then I don't know how the game would make the distinction between a late attempt at one note or an early attempt at the next in certain cases (streams).
A "late miss" can only be displayed once you are absolutely too late to get even a 50 on a certain note, and at that point the game doesn't have to wait for anything in either case, it can display the "late miss" right away. I'm pretty sure that's how it works right now, too. If you were still in time to press anything, it would be a 50, not a miss. "late miss" == "you didn't press anything"
Not quite true - what if you hit in the late 100 or late 50 window but don't have your cursor over the note?

But I guess what I said is only an issue if the game treats "you missed because you hit 150ms late" (possible with streams and other such nonsense) and "you missed because you didn't press any keys corresponding to this hit object" separately. To be fair, I think early vs late misses would be more harmful than useful outside of that, but not having it probably avoids the problem I'm talking about and maybe some people would like it. As long as hit0.png can count as both hit0e and hit0L for those of us who don't want early and late misses, it's fine with me ^_^
Redon
GhostFrog

Redon wrote:

GhostFrog wrote:

Not quite true - what if you hit in the late 100 or late 50 window but don't have your cursor over the note?
Nothing happens? If you don't click on the note, you might as well not have clicked at all. It's not counted. You can can click next to a note slightly too late and still hit it if you click again on the note itself before the 50 window ends..
...so what would you count as an early miss then? (I thought it prevented you from being able to hit that note anymore if you did what I said, but I don't know the mechanics of that as well as I should....)
Redon
Kert
It will kind of work if 300 <-> 100 <-> 50 colours blend correctly
Topic Starter
Yauxo

abraker wrote:

Why not just add a "+" or "-" after the score indicating if you are late or early?
That'd work with the skinability. hit100e could be a normal 100 with a simple "-" behind it then.
abraker

Yauxo wrote:

abraker wrote:

That'd work with the skinability. hit100e could be a normal 100 with a simple "-" behind it then.
I would rather skin so the the "+" or "-" is in front, but based on the idea you mentioned: just add skin elements for hit100p, hit100n, hit200p, hit200n, etc..., where the"p" suffix is for positive offset and the "n" suffix is for negative offset. I would still keep the old hit100, etc sprites for capability reasons and for the glory when you hit a+0ms on a note. For the compatibility, just let the game to default to the old sprite set if the new hit sprites are not found.
drum drum
why not E or L instead of - or + as that can confuse new players
abraker
I think "+" and "-" is better to distinguish in the corner of my eye when playing beatmaps. But that doesn't matter, if the offset hitscore gets implemented as I proposed, then this question of what is better is not relevant since you would be able to skin it however you want.
Topic Starter
Yauxo

drum drum wrote:

why not E or L instead of - or + as that can confuse new players
After all, it could just be a "bonus" skinnable element where new players have the 100s we now have and those who want to have the - and + ones can skin them themselves.
drum drum
but the default skin would consist of - + and like i said it can confuse new players
abraker

drum drum wrote:

but the default skin would consist of - + and like i said it can confuse new players
I see where you are coming from since the offset setting works on reverse. Letters after is also hard to distinguish while playing. Maybe arrows? If you want "E" and "L" in the default, fine by me as long as it's skinnable.
drum drum

abraker wrote:

drum drum wrote:

I see where you are coming from since the offset setting works on reverse. Letters after is also hard to distinguish while playing. Maybe arrows? If you want "E" and "L" in the default, fine by me as long as it's skinnable.
i mean it looks like you could be losing or gaining points

yeah arrows would work
Oinari-sama
Well if this comes in the form of new skinning elements you can pretty much make your own "cue," even turtles and lightning sign goes :)
_Ennea
*bumps*

As someone who's currently learning how to stream, I'd love to have this.
xNinjaKittyx
Upvoted this

All the japanese games like iidx and sound voltex have it. Why can't we.
Azucchi
This would be perfect for accuracy sensitive ppl. I'll support
Dephix
agree
Pituophis
THIS.

Learning how to stream and this would be really helpful.
Score_Under
Essential for PF plays or streaming. Looking at the hit error bar is a sure way to fail a map (or at least break combo and get a worthless score), so this is much more sensible.
MechiPlat
I wish this were a feature. If I was a supporter I'd vote for this, but since I'm not the best I can do is bump this thread.
ruikoH
I want something like this, but rather than having the same color intensity, we should make it so that there's more color intensity for hit error.

Like this, and the 3 colors would be able to be changed.
not_superhot

drum drum wrote:

dont put it in the default skin. Have it an option for skinners. It is perfect for people trying to learn stream, know when they are over/under streaming without having to glance down at the score meter.
Adder
bump to know why i misstimed when playing with high OD

Oinari-sama wrote:

Maybe make it skinnable? Some people may want custom indication colour to match their skin design.

Leaving 300s aside, maybe have these for hitting early:
-hit100e.png
-hit50e.png
-hit0e.png

Hitting late:
-hit100L.png
-hit50L.png
-hit0L.png

hit100/hit50/hit0 will be used instead if these new objects don't exist in the skin.
t/103304, add this and put those in the override folder
Pituophis
pls
Adder
Capuccino
This is actually a great idea judging the difficulty of using the hit-error score bar plus skinners will have more options in 50-100 score hits IMO

Eugh, I forgot I ran out of votes
momo1478
Really would like to see this happen. It's as easy as appending a sprite to the left or right side of a judgement sprite for non-perfect hits, simple yet imo monumental change to gameplay (streams actually give feedback rather than just a bunch of 100s). Putting extra support on this.
Topic Starter
Yauxo
Still think that this may be a good addition to the game. I didnt hear much about lazer the past few weeks/months, so maybe this can also be taken as an idea for the update if it isnt already.

The thread has zero replies for months and/or it is moved to the second page.
If your request happens to be like this, then you may bump it.

To put together

hit100e (early)
hit100l (late)
If you're ahead of time (bar to the left) you'll see hit100e.
If you're behind on time (bar to the right) you'll see hit100l.

Skinning examples

+
o x
Wow that's a great idea! Hopefully it will be implemented.
Caput Mortuum
agree
qaze
This should have been implemeted a long time ago
Ryoid
Only lazer? they don't do it to normal client?
pingal1ty
Why only lazer? I hate that version of the game, can't even skin it and the default is just awfull, unreadable at all for me.
Ryoid

pingal1ty wrote:

Why only lazer? I hate that version of the game, can't even skin it and the default is just awfull, unreadable at all for me.
you already know that lazer is on development build maybe when it release.....
Allsiss
Bump as it's still desired.

I really hope this is being considered for lazer. It's so frustrating to get a streak of hundreds on a stream and not knowing whether you need to slightly increase or decrease the tempo. The hit error bar is generally not good for that and it's overall too distracting to look down there anyway.
show more