54.84%
6.45%
6.45%
Total votes: 31
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Ziggo
Hey everyone,

I'm experimenting with different ways to calculate player rankings with actual map ranks. It's far from perfect yet, but I wonder which method shows the most promise.

If you'd like please vote for the Ranking that seems most promising to you. Every opinion is much appreciated.

E m i
map ranks? wow, even mesita appeared. i'd say 2.
buny
Why?

It'd help to know what exactly is weighted within each calculation for each list, too. If it's just based on map rankings then all of them are bad
GoldenWolf
ppv1 much
ZenithPhantasm

GoldenWolf wrote:

ppv1 much
Vuelo Eluko
rrtyui was somewhere around rank 26 during ppv1 when it was based off map rankings
how the hell can he be 2 now? or even CLOSE to wubwoofwolf in that regard?

i just don't see it. he only plays maps that are worth his time. wubwoofwolf has at least a dozen easy/normal/hard scoreboard spots for every one of rrtyui's.

anyway, rrtyui isn't #1 on any of these rankings so they are no more accurate than our current one.
NixXSkate

Riince wrote:

anyway, rrtyui isn't #1 on any of these rankings so they are no more accurate than our current one.
How can he possibly be #1 based on his scores? The only way rrtyui would be #1 is if people had to vote on the rank each person was, no properly working system would put him at #1.
Vuelo Eluko
who else could fc mind vortex dt?
NixXSkate

Riince wrote:

Reimu :^)
Topic Starter
Ziggo

buny wrote:

Why?

It'd help to know what exactly is weighted within each calculation for each list, too. If it's just based on map rankings then all of them are bad
I didn't put a description on each ranking to get an unbiased opinion. I want people to vote for the results and not the formulas.

Riince wrote:

rrtyui was somewhere around rank 26 during ppv1 when it was based off map rankings
how the hell can he be 2 now? or even CLOSE to wubwoofwolf in that regard?
Because there's more than just one way to calculate rankings based off map rankings. I don't know what peppy did for ppv1 but I probably did things differently.

NixXSkate wrote:

Riince wrote:

How can he possibly be #1 based on his scores? The only way rrtyui would be #1 is if people had to vote on the rank each person was, no properly working system would put him at #1.
Exactly. An algorithm can only look at scores and not at potential scores. If rrtyui did more scores he'd be #1 easily on every ranking system.
FieryLight
Currently PPv2 system is much better than any of these. I really don't think SiLviA or Niko should be in the top 50

FieryLight wrote:

I really don't think SiLviA or Niko should be in the top 50
you must be new
ZenithPhantasm

Faces3 wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

you must be new
silmarilen

NixXSkate wrote:

Riince wrote:

Reimu :^)
who else that is legit?
buny

Ziggo wrote:

buny wrote:

Why?

I didn't put a description on each ranking to get an unbiased opinion. I want people to vote for the results and not the formulas.
With only results you're going to get very biased opinions
FieryLight

Faces3 wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

you must be new
Actually, I started 5 months before you did. Niko's great and I think if he hadn't quit he'd far exceed number 1 right now. SiLviA is one of my all time favourite players but frankly, I must admit he can't contest with those who are currently in the top 50. Well, I mean, he can but in most regards and more difficult maps he can't.

While Niko was definitely much better than SiLviA I don't think that he has set enough amazing scores to compete. Certainly he at his prime could pull of many good scores today but he didn't because the pp system wasn't as good when he was around and so he never really got the chance to rack up pp as others did. So don't get me wrong. Niko was great, did have what it took to be in today's top 50 but I just don't think he has enough old scores to justify a top 50 placement. So unless this is some super pp system that can look at how much potential you have, I think Niko shouldn't be up there. (And if it were a super pp system that could see your potential, rrtyui should be #1.)

Anyway, if you disagree that's fine. We're all different *shrugs*
NixXSkate

FieryLight wrote:

Faces3 wrote:

you must be new
Actually, I started 5 months before you did. Niko's great and I think if he hadn't quit he'd far exceed number 1 right now. SiLviA is one of my all time favourite players but frankly, I must admit he can't contest with those who are currently in the top 50. Well, I mean, he can but in most regards and more difficult maps he can't.

While Niko was definitely much better than SiLviA I don't think that he has set enough amazing scores to compete. Certainly he at his prime could pull of many good scores today but he didn't because the pp system wasn't as good when he was around and so he never really got the chance to rack up pp as others did. So don't get me wrong. Niko was great, did have what it took to be in today's top 50 but I just don't think he has enough old scores to justify a top 50 placement. So unless this is some super pp system that can look at how much potential you have, I think Niko shouldn't be up there. (And if it were a super pp system that could see your potential, rrtyui should be #1.)

Eh, I think Niko has quite a good amount of scores to show his worth. His scores also show how well rounded he was. Maybe if you judge it based on their pp it may not seem like it, but if you judge it how the maps were contested in comparison to how maps are contested now, it's pretty easy to see why he was considered so great. A lot of his scores are still top notch by today's standards even if they aren't much pp. I'm not saying he's top 10 tier, but I definitely don't think him being top 50 in a different ranking system is a stretch at all. He was #2 in tp after C was banned for pete's sake, and his scores were before songs were mapped to give generous amounts of pp. Of course it shouldn't include his score on Atama in the calculation though.
Ziassan
Let's say 2 since it seems the only one not making Elysion disappear. I'm not sure how it deals with "not a lot of recent activity" since on the other side rrtyui earned ranks on this.
But ppv1 was changed for a reason tho, I still think any rank based on map rank is quite meh.
Varetyr
Bikko's rank is greatly increasing in all lists, therefore they're all better than ppv2 to me :^)

But seriously though, cf. >what buny said
GhostFrog
Ranking 1 clearly values "quality" over quantity - a few high ranks on leaderboards that contain a lot of strong players are enough to get you on the list. FL players and even EZ players (tag4 OP) find their way into this top 50. Mod weighting are very likely either small or non-existent. In fact, I suspect the first ranking list doesn't consider accuracy or mods at all and relies only on relative ranking on map leaderboards.

The other 3 are less obvious. Might try to figure them out later. The fact that hvick fares so well in ranking system 2 is probably the most useful starting point for cracking that one. Also probably useful for that is Niko's relatively low rank.
Karuta-_old_1
Ranking 1 because I see those players on #1 a lot of times with mods that people won't even try, and a ranking that isn't based off pp would be more helpful

GhostFrog wrote:

Ranking 1 clearly values "quality" over quantity - a few high ranks on leaderboards that contain a lot of strong players are enough to get you on the list. FL players and even EZ players (tag4 OP) find their way into this top 50. Mod weighting are very likely either small or non-existent.
Topic Starter
Ziggo

Ziassan wrote:

Let's say 2 since it seems the only one not making Elysion disappear. I'm not sure how it deals with "not a lot of recent activity" since on the other side rrtyui earned ranks on this.
But ppv1 was changed for a reason tho, I still think any rank based on map rank is quite meh.
Oh don't misunderstand, not all the rankings are based purely on map ranks. Actually only one of them is. The others use map and mod difficulty as well.

What I'm trying to achieve is not a purely map rank based ranking system, but rather a system that can support the current pp system.

NixXSkate wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Eh, I think Niko has quite a good amount of scores to show his worth. His scores also show how well rounded he was. Maybe if you judge it based on their pp it may not seem like it, but if you judge it how the maps were contested in comparison to how maps are contested now, it's pretty easy to see why he was considered so great. A lot of his scores are still top notch by today's standards even if they aren't much pp. I'm not saying he's top 10 tier, but I definitely don't think him being top 50 in a different ranking system is a stretch at all. He was #2 in tp after C was banned for pete's sake, and his scores were before songs were mapped to give generous amounts of pp. Of course it shouldn't include his score on Atama in the calculation though.