forum

College course and why ? If HS what do u plan on ?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hika
Illiterate scum.
bigfeh
how do you go from biology to computer science

as for me, I chose computer science and cognitive science
a1l2d3r4e5d6
The course I chose is simply titled as 'applied computing (games)' which kind of tells you what the course focuses on. It's a university course though.
Hika

bigfeh wrote:

bio to chem sounds like a better way to go then again iunno, chem is hard imo
but yep, cs & physics double major here ;)
In_Disarray
A major in Business Management so I can make the dollar dollar and buy out osu, and a minor in Computer Science so I can turn it into a vrmmorpg which will obviously be popular and I will lock everyone in it and make it pay to win and get even more dollar dollar plus I should get some funny memes out of it.
bigfeh

Hika wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

bio to chem sounds like a better way to go then again iunno, chem is hard imo
but yep, cs & physics double major here ;)
I have a love-hate relationship with physics

then again I love chemistry, am actually considering a minor in neuroscience (because cognitive science, chemistry and brains. also it's interesting)

Thing is I'm all around the place. I've thought about medicine, cs, psychology, graphic design...
Hika
it's okay because before i went on cs + physics path, I was literally thinking about interior design and psychology. now that i think about it, history too...

really weird to go the way I went but my physics teacher in high school always thought i'd do really well in college if I stuck to science and math so i did. I was literally just thinking of majoring in the broad spectrum of math to be cool and shit.
Shohei Ohtani
I'm assuming you mean my major

I entered school as a B.M. in Music Education, but switched to a B.A in Music and Psycology. I did this because I wanted to go to school for Music therapy, and I got into my top choice, but my 2nd choice gave me more money, and was closer, but didn't offer Music Therapy. I settled with being a music educator, but I just felt that therapy was what I really wanted to do, and now I am doing the double major so I can get an M.A in Music Therapy. I hopefully wanna go for a doctoral degree, but that's a choice I'll make when I get there.

uguu.
Friendan
I LIKE VIDEO GAMES
I WANT TO MAKE VIDEO GAMES
jk
I don't know what I want to do in life ;-;
silmarilen
currently studying physics & astronomy
Vapor
sil stop doing fancy applied maths and do normal maths like me
Renevant
Computer Science, I enjoy finding news way to make things easier on the computer and finding new ways to customize stuff
bigfeh

Renevant wrote:

Computer Science, I enjoy finding news way to make things easier on the computer and finding new ways to customize stuff
computer science? Easier?

Have you ever even used a computer? Because I'm pretty sure you've been misled

@edit
what is the joy of this sick and insane world of suffering, bugs, crashes and downtime

@edit 2
recommended reading
Nub1
I will take japanese language and literature next year after I graduate from highschool since I want to be a better translator
Renevant

bigfeh wrote:

Renevant wrote:

computer science? Easier?

Have you ever even used a computer? Because I'm pretty sure you've been misled

@edit
what is the joy of this sick and insane world of suffering, bugs, crashes and downtime
Yes, easier. I enjoy making things more convenient for me later on. The creation of it may be irritating, but the end result is what I strive for. Computers are fairly easy to work with IMO and are very customizable. I've finished a fair portion of my cs classes and I don't find it as difficult or irritating as you make it out to be. You're just stating fairly obvious issues that you will encounter when programming, that I've long since known about and been dealing with.
DeletedUser_3905941
Computer Science, but specifically working with with assembly language and reverse engineering/debugging.
I've pretty much passed for college, but moving to university in September will provide much bigger obstacles in the way.
silmarilen

Vapor wrote:

sil stop doing fancy applied maths and do normal maths like me
50% of my courses have been maths courses so far anyway, im getting enough as it is.
bigfeh

Renevant wrote:

Yes, easier. I enjoy making things more convenient for me later on. The creation of it may be irritating, but the end result is what I strive for. Computers are fairly easy to work with IMO and are very customizable. I've finished a fair portion of my cs classes and I don't find it as difficult or irritating as you make it out to be. You're just stating fairly obvious issues that you will encounter when programming, that I've long since known about and been dealing with.
I assume you're in high school? Just out of curiosity, what did you learn in your classes?

now, it's not irritating, and programming is not dull, by any means - it's fun and I love it. Debugging and making shit actually work, on the other hand, can get mind-shatteringly difficult and incredibly painful

(reverse engineering, on the other hand, is awsum)

trust me, once you're past the "let's code a calculator" stage (and yeah, turns out, hey - the world isn't made out of hackish scripts. Don't fool yourself into thinking you know code because you made something work on tampermonkey), you'll see how harsh the world can be

thing is, and I don't want to be an ass here, it just gets worse. Yes, it's obvious to anyone these problems exist, but I genuinely doubt most people understand the magnitude of this. I assume many of you have heard the whole "10% writing, 90% debugging" story and as exaggerated as it may sound, it's incredibly accurate.

Again, the last thing I want is to sound arrogant but you really look like someone who hasn't gone through enough just yet. Everyone who works with this jokes about a bunch of stuff, but guess what? Even though we laugh at it, it's mostly really true. It sucks, but we love it.

So unless you love madness, you better not stick around. It's just gonna get worse.
Mahogany
No idea yet but probably either something to do with computers or Psychology.
Renevant

bigfeh wrote:

snip snip
Im a second year at my University. I am well aware of what is to come and I've dealt with a fair amount already. Yes, i know about all the code jokes, particularly this one, which the professors have joked about and i've been able to relate to all of them. Its one of the things you learn in programming, coding is a very small portion of the time spent creating a program professionally. Most of it is testing and debugging. So yes, from a job-seeking perspective, computer science can be a pretty irritating major. There's a reason you can get paid as much as an engineer for any job you get (I was actually an engineering major, before i switched).

Maybe it's because i've never had an issue with grades or school, but you really are making it out to be the worst thing ever. I have tons of exposure to a lot of the difficult jobs out there. My whole family is full of engineers. I know the subject matter is difficult and crappy in its own way (My sister complains about the amount of memorizing she has to do to be a nurse, which is a given for that degree).

That article you linked in your edit only focuses on the negatives and uses all these metaphors that can be easily misinterpreted to scare off people. I can kinda've understand where that's coming from, because some people think they can just get C's in highschool, expecting a University to be the same. But the article just lists all these situations that can be experienced in any job environment. It seems to focus on job corruption, more than it does the actual topic of programming. A similar situation can be found in your nearby McDonalds where everyone needs to work together to fill someone's order, but some asshole wont do his job.

I apologize for going off topic a bit, I probably could've just left the first paragraph and stopped. But I'll admit i was slightly offended by the way you are approaching this. I just don't like the idea of scaring people away from their interests, rather than simply preparing them instead. I like computer science. I plan on finishing my major and getting involved in undergraduate-graduate research along the way, because i enjoy it.
Jazz
Trying to get a degree in Architecture, planning on taking Masters abroad although not sure on what though.
And I also have a plan b which is taking a degree in Forensic Sciences, also abroad since the closest I can get here is Criminology and I doubt they have the things I want to learn.

Oh there was a 'why' in the title.
Architecture because I wanted to take something related to arts but is not completely about arts because I don't like my art style and I want to change it to a more realistic output.
Forensic Science because I've always wanted to be a detective not just some private detective but someone who actually checks crime scenes and finds facts about a crime. I want to check crime scene despite the fact that I'm hemophobic.
bigfeh

Renevant wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

snip snip
snippety snippety snip
Don't be offended, that's not my intention. I don't want to scare people off, and even if I did - it's hard to. Allow me to explain.

Logic, even at basic levels, isn't the strong suit of most people, and programming is very, very advanced logic. I believe this is somewhere on the page I linked, but it's true - computer science caters to a very specific kind of person. You'll see mostly logic-driven minds getting involved with it. People who don't fit that description will take a quick peek and realize it's probably not for them, while the ones who like it still love it despite all the negative aspects, and hey - turns out I didn't scare anyone off.

I enjoyed the read because it was funny and I could relate to it. I fit in the story and was in for a good laugh, so that's why it's among my favorite

I never had any trouble with grades either and I know this kind of stuff can be found in any job environment, but programming is great but also daunting, in its own special way. I'm not sure whether I see it this way because I like it so much or because I got to know it so well. I'm pretty sure, however, everything is punishing but also rewarding, in their own way.

Still, despite all the bad in the world, I'm going with it. I like the good, and as weird as this may sound, I like the bad. I like how rewarding it is to finally fix your shit after working on it for 12 hours straight. I like how it feels to look back on when you were writing the first line when you have the compiled final version running on the screen. I like the insane.

Yeah, it really is insane. But it's my insane.
Renevant

bigfeh wrote:

I'm pretty sure, however, everything is punishing but also rewarding, in their own way.

Still, despite all the bad in the world, I'm going with it. I like the good, and as weird as this may sound, I like the bad. I like how rewarding it is to finally fix your shit after working on it for 12 hours straight. I like how it feels to look back on when you were writing the first line when you have the compiled final version running on the screen. I like the insane.

I feel the same! Challenges are enjoyable, if you know you can complete it.
Anyways, thanks for the insight and perspective. Hopefully we both get great jobs that let us enjoy our interests.
Mafuuu
Fresh highschool graduate here. I would love to take Architecture but my parents keep telling me to take either Law or Medicine. I guess I'll take Law since they're so willing to pay for tuition but nothing's for sure yet. That and I wouldn't want to be outstaged by my older sister who took up medicine. *insecurity intensifies*
bigfeh

Renevant wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

I'm pretty sure, however, everything is punishing but also rewarding, in their own way.

I feel the same! Challenges are enjoyable, if you know you can complete it.
Anyways, thanks for the insight and perspective. Hopefully we both get great jobs that let us enjoy our interests.
Yeah. Good luck on your bug slaying adventure
acid
I just finished high school this month, and I am following a degree in aerospace engineering once I go to university in October. Hope I succeed in my goals. And wow, everyone here seems to be interested in computers. xD
mnh48
College??

I'm 19 y/o (this October) and now studying Computer Science in university, it was my second choice after I cannot get into Mechanical Engineering / ME (perhaps because of bad secondary school's national exam result). I actually more to wiring and hardware (and I did get electric shock when I was 9 y/o because I forget to turn off the socket before doing something to electric appliances) but I do like to tweaks a lot of things in computer so I think I will be able to enjoy this course. I learnt C++ and assembly language till now and it isn't that hard, and I will start to learn real Java next month (that's in our syllabus, don't know about other university/college).

Why this course?

I purposely put it as 2nd choice because I want to put bet on ME as 1st choice. If I can't get ME, I must get Computer Science, that's what I'm thinking, because I've been using my computer for so long, dealing with many things. I write HTML for my blog back then when I was 13 y/o, make simple Java applet for my own phone, all purely by following tutorial, so I want to learn how these computer and internet stuffs functions in a real class too, not just by reading tutorials on net like what I've done few years ago.

Hobbies too
My hobbies are also related to computer, from editing image in PhotoScape+GIMP to customizing foobar2000 layout, making Rainmeter skins to encoding high quality videos from DVD using command line (bluray is expensive here), also helping neighbours when they don't know how to setup something like their wireless printer (seriously, it's easy >_>), or to setup home WLAN to play LAN games over WiFi between siblings and neighbours (CS, COD etc), but most of the time I'm an individual fansubber, making fansubs in Malay (my native language) because many Malaysian in urban areas concentrate on English fansubs and they don't care about rural people who cannot understand English (though recently there is Malay fansub group established, few years after I make it alone). I care about them because I also do have difficulties in learning English as my third language back in primary school because the school was Chinese-based, everything were taught in Chinese except English language and Malay language subject, and Math & Science were taught in bilingual (Chinese & English). Note that fansubs are not limited to anime, don't write weeaboos in reply.
DestinySonata
I actually wanted to take Architecture for college, but the nearest good college for that was quite far.

So I ended up taking Computer Science. Initially I chose CS because of games. I personally enjoyed RPG Maker and the usage of Ruby. During the course I found out my love for doing web development. So I now strive to learn more about web development and become a web developer.
EshkushMeh xD
I have no idea :3 But preferably something that has to do with computers.
Lacrimae
medicine i think??
Rurree
I plan on taking Mass Communication.
Yuudachi-kun

Rurree wrote:

I've changed from GENDER STUDIES to Hebrew
LoliPantsu
im going to quit school to become a professional osu! player
roshan117
computer science
ciara_old_1
health or life sciences
Lacrimae

Khelly wrote:

oy vey
Rurree

Khelly wrote:

Rurree wrote:

but why
Yuudachi-kun
Hebrew is cool.

Christopaz
Medical Technology student here. About to face the wrath of all the major subjects next school year (2 months from now)

Go go medicine!
Horaizon-
I plan for computer engineering because i have interest in making computers
show more