forum

[osu!mania] How to deal with this pattern?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Exemmar
Got some tips for me? I'm having a hard time playing any maps with this pattern, I always miss or in the best way get 1x200. I literally don't know what to do when I see it coming and usually end up mashing buttons or releasing long note together with short notes. Problem is bigger since I reached the level where a lot of maps contain this pattern at least once and i have to avoid them.
bigfeh
This belongs in the Mania section of Gameplay & Rankings

and I'm just gonna go on a hunch here and say you should play more of said pattern
VeilStar
Moved from Help to Gameplay & Rankings.

As for the question: While I don't play mania, anything comes with practice.
ZenithPhantasm

bigfeh wrote:

This belongs in the Mania section of Gameplay & Rankings
Friendan
Click the notes. That's literally it. Get good, play more, whatever. Said pattern appears because of repeats on sliders.
Topic Starter
Exemmar
I know that playing SHOULD teach me how to do it, but the problem is I completely don't know what to do. And there's difference when you know what you're doing wrong and you're trying to get better at it and eventually achieve it and when you are mashing buttons because everything happens way too fast. I tried this path with half time but it's still too fast and too confusing for me.

Remember that playing more is not always going to make you play better, there's a lot of people who played 100k games in osu!standard (that was example because I don't know much about osu!mania) but only few made it to the top level. To be better you need to be aware what you're doing wrong and how to improve it.

I already improved a lot but this pattern is my nightmare. When I focus on long note i miss few short notes, when I'm focusing on short ones I miss the moment when you need to hold the button on long note and when i focus on "start" of pattern i miss the end of it (or get one x200 for not releasing button on the long note).
drum drum
moved to osu!mania subforum
ovnz
First, stop playing autoconverts.
Then, you have to release your key on the end of the LN.
Redon
Kamikaze
gintoki147
When I started playing, I hated this pattern. Focusing on two things at once was just too hard for me, but as you play more you'll improve that. Don't worry.
Get used to it. This game is all about multi tasking.

If you have a tablet, play Cytus. There are many patterns there that need you to focus on 2~3 things at once, but only if you play on Hard. Otherwise you'll be just wasting time. t's a fun and easy game.
Topic Starter
Exemmar

Ovnize wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low especially I HATE japanesse where 99% of songs for mania are japanesse.

-Kamikaze- wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/146615
Thanks, already seen that and it's quite helpful.

gintoki147 wrote:

If you have a tablet, play Cytus. There are many patterns there that need you to focus on 2~3 things at once, but only if you play on Hard. Otherwise you'll be just wasting time. t's a fun and easy game.
Sadly I don't have but thanks for advice I'll try my best improving.

I found that playing maps with this pattern on speed (bpm) 7 or something close to it is easier for me than playing on regular ~13 speed. Can someone tell me if I should keep trying on low speed or ignore that and keep tryharding on normal speed? (Or maybe go even further and try on higher speed)
-Maus-
Just play more, why do people just keep asking for tips, I've never asked for a tip regarding the gameplay wtf
Kinac
My first tip is like others said, stop playing autoconverts. Well I'm not gonna argue about you for some reason not liking o!m songs (even tho a lot of them don't even have vocals), but still, playing autoconverts is the worst thing possible. And there are unranked maps too you know.

Second tip is about the pattern. Just play more. That's all you can do to learn a pattern. There are no secret tricks to playing patterns.

Third tip is about scroll speed. Just play what you like the best and don't force yourself to play at a scroll speed that's too fast or too slow.
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts
Stopped reading there. I'm out.
ovnz

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low
Sure... :^)
Elementaires

Exemmar wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low

you could try to play a mania map, at least once

but nvm you can just stay an ignorant and farm those 100% accuracy for your own fun. but dont ask 2 months later things like "wtf no pp????," or "how to pass this pattern?'

to answer the question of the thread --> practice
Bobbias

Elementaires wrote:

to answer the question of the thread --> practice
Also known as "if you're not going to listen to our advice, don't ask."
Valedict

Exemmar wrote:

Ovnize wrote:

I won't stop playing autoconverts because the amount of maps for mania is way too low especially I HATE japanesse where 99% of songs for mania are japanesse.
Basically you just said "I don't ever want to improve or properly play this game"

It's pointless asking how to play a pattern when you won't even play a real mania map
Jinjin
Rule #1: Autoconverts are bad
Rule #2: Autoconverts are still bad
Rule #3: Autoconverts will forever be bad.

By playing autoconverts, you are shunning yourself from 95% of the great variety of patterns that mania has to offer. If you want to improve, I suggest that you try actual mania maps.

99% of songs for mania are japanese? pls
lenpai

iJinjin wrote:

Rule #1: Autoconverts are bad
Rule #2: Autoconverts are still bad
Rule #3: Autoconverts will forever be bad.

By playing autoconverts, you are shunning yourself from 95% of the great variety of patterns that mania has to offer. If you want to improve, I suggest that you try actual mania maps.

This.
And also try searching by "all maps" you might be looking at ranked so you dont see songs you might really like.
Although some maps are pretty bad, they're still way better then autoconverts
dennischan
eat the patterns
Topic Starter
Exemmar

Elementaires wrote:

I tried already and they are way harder.

iJinjin wrote:

Yep. Surprisingly when I search for artists I like to listen all I get are japenesse songs. OR instrumentals but I can forget about something I wanted to play. I can choose between something I don't like and something I don't know. Also I can go for unranked because there somehow are songs that I like but everybody knows that playing ranked maps is more fun because you're getting rewarded for something you achieved and after some "rewards" (pp) you can clearly see that you are better than you were before.

I'll start playing unranked for now but probably will get bored soon.
ovnz
Make your choice. Improve or play autoconverts.
-Maus-

Exemmar wrote:

Elementaires wrote:

G A M E S
A R E N ' T
M E A N T
T O
B E
E A S Y.
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

Elementaires wrote:

Bobbias
1: Autoconverts cannot create many of the patterns we make in real mania maps. Of course it's going to be tricky to adjust to real maps that have patterns you've never seen. However, we have some very easy difficulties. The ranking criteria specifically says we must have one easy difficulty under 2 stars in order to be ranked.

2: If you're going to ask us how to improve, listen to what we have to say. Ignoring advice you've asked for is the quickest way to piss off the people who were willing to give you advice in the first place.

3: quit complaining that things are too hard. Just like the only way to deal with a fear is to face it, the only way to improve at a reasonable rate is to force yourself to play things that are harder than what you normally play. You can spend thousands of hours playing easy stuff and still be absolutely terrible at this game if you never force yourself to improve.
Kurokotei
Also, something you don't know doesn't mean it's bad. I've discovered plenty of artists by playing music that I didn't know of.
For the rest, listen to what other people said.
Topic Starter
Exemmar
I'm not saying that harder is worse but playing autoconverts with 1.8 stars was way easier than playing mania maps with 1.4 stars or even less so i feel regress.
The reason why I'm not convinced to this mode is that I tried it just for fun and still don't know if I'm gonna keep playing this especially when learning and improving process is very long and i wonder if it's worth it. I don't feel urge to be a good mania player. I'm not here to piss anyone off and if I did, I'm sorry. I'm not ignoring you advices too, I think about them but it's hard to choose between playing for fun and playing for serious.
Valedict

Exemmar wrote:

I tried it just for fun

Then there is no point to you asking how to deal with an easy pattern if you're just playing this casually.

Exemmar wrote:

playing autoconverts with 1.8 stars was way easier than playing mania maps with 1.4 stars or even less so i feel regress.

Wow it's almost like mania maps use real patterns and you have no exposure to them at all!

Exemmar wrote:

I think about them but it's hard to choose between playing for fun and playing for serious.

I'm friends with casual mania players who have no problem playing mania specific maps and playing for fun. Even casual players know better than to continue playing autoconverts; they're not fun at all and you can still play for fun and learn how to play actual mania maps just like anyone else, regardless of skill.

You're not taking any of our advice if you still think autoconverts are a good option, given how everyone in this thread has told you over and over to not play them.
OzzyOzrock
play taiko
lemonguy
Oh god I can't stop laughing at this thread, I can't tell if he's serious or not. You want to learn how to do a pattern, but you aren't willing to play more maps that are out of your comfort zone so you can improve and eventually be able to play that pattern? I'm sorry, but that's NOT how this works. If you're complaining that maps are too hard for you, either quit whining and practice enough to be able to play them, or you can be ignorant and not put forth any effort, leaving you to wonder "why am I not magically improving at this game?"

And like everyone else has already stated: If you want to improve, STOP PLAYING AUTOCONVERTS.
-Squishy
let me give you better advice

1. look at your fingers
2. look at your screen
3. look at yourself through the reflection of your screen
4. stare real hard and ask yourself: do you have what it takes to play mania?
yes
stop complaining and play
no
stop complaining and don't play
Topic Starter
Exemmar

OzzyOzrock wrote:

play taiko
Tried taiko, it's making me feel dizzy so I stopped after few maps.

Gekido- wrote:

You want to learn how to do a pattern, but you aren't willing to play more maps that are out of your comfort zone so you can improve and eventually be able to play that pattern? I'm sorry, but that's NOT how this works.
I WAS willing to play harder maps when I was playing autoconverts (for now I want this thread to be closed because there's no point of keeping it up anymore) and I know exactly how it works, maybe im newb/noob in mania but in standard I didn't have any problems with ranking up.

Also you guys treat me like I knew there are specific mania maps and that they are different from "autoconverts". When i started this thread I DIDN'T And you keep saying that why I'm complaining (I'm not even complaining) and play mania maps if I want to improve.

-Tim- wrote:

Then there is no point to you asking how to deal with an easy pattern if you're just playing this casually.
There is damn point because without you guys I'd still play autoconverts trying to learn how to pass the pattern thinking it's the right way of improving.

-Tim- wrote:

you can still play for fun and learn how to play actual mania maps just like anyone else, regardless of skill.
I could if there would be more maps of songs I like, tried few unranked maps of songs I actually like and it seems I can pass them with 95-100% acc (too easy) or can't pass at all (too hard) or are meant to be played with more keys and I'm too lazy to learn how to mash 5-7 buttons at once because of random missclicks. I tried 7 keys for 2 days without any progress so decided to go back to 4k where I could see I'm improving.
-Maus-
Getting the fuck out and learning about the meaning of improvement is still an option
Redon
Kamikaze

Exemmar wrote:

[Also you guys treat me like I knew there are specific mania maps and that they are different from "autoconverts". When i started this thread I DIDN'T And you keep saying that why I'm complaining (I'm not even complaining) and play mania maps if I want to improve.
did you even look at your earlier posts

if you ever say that you won't stop playing autoconverts because a) lol too few maps b) lol too hard , then you're singing yourself up for a shitstorm trip here.
do not try this at home kids
Evening
not sure if good b8 or dense
show more