forum

Issues with mental/physical lapses + handedness?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tenshinawi
I'll try to keep this short, and easy to read.

So, about a month and a half/2 months ago, I finally went out of my way to get a tablet. Prior to me getting tablet, I used to play mouse with my RIGHT hand, and keyboard with my LEFT hand. Now, I am LEFT-HANDED generally in everything I do (Sports, writing, simply using it for other day-to-day things). When I switched to a tablet, beforehand, I found myself always slightly inaccurate with mouse even for my skill-level at the time, but I had been using my RIGHT hand with mouse for my entire life. Spinners were a pain in the ass and I couldn't do them (I'd spin like, a sideways oval lol and barely break a 50).

Anyways, I've switched to my RIGHT hand for keyboard since I've had my tablet, and in terms of my left-hand being used for pen movement, it's obviously natural and fine. However, my keyboard hand after about 2 months still seems to have a massive issue with coordinating.

Both my index and middle finger (I play on NumPad 4 and NumPad 5), start off smooth when streaming, but quickly after, lets say, after 3-notes (and this can relate to me being used to stacks of 3), my fingers quickly turn from a nice one-two cycle back and forth, to a more, hard to describe it properly, bouncy one-two like if it were ragtime or something? (If you don't understand, I'll try to explain better if required). I'm simply wondering if it's based off me not being used to using my right-hand at all, or more of that I've gotten too comfortable with the coordination of 3-stacks and, after that, my brain doesn't mentally coordinate the extra notes after 3-4 notes in, a stream, etc. The reason I wonder is, because it's not entirely BPM based. I always seem to mess up 5-note streams on the last note (100's, 50's), and I always mess up 4-note into sliders on the last notes, and or slider (100's, 50's). And, always at the end of streams regardless of how I do, I always pull a 100, and a 50 at the end most of the time.

The one other issue I have, which I've seen constantly occur, and realize it exists, but I've yet to really determine how to rid myself of it, is LEAVING NOTES EARLY. It's fairly frustrating, and it seems that I move my cursor away BEFORE I tap the note. This is extremely consistent in stars, triangles, or jump sections in general. I land on the note fine, but I simply leave too quick to the next note. I'm not tapping too late, either. Other than the answer I expect of sitting on the notes longer and getting used to it (Which I'm finding somewhat difficult to accomplish as it's burned in me right now), is there any other methods to rid me of this problem?

Anyways, I'll appreciate any help I can get, thanks.
pandaBee
You're going to be better with your dominant hand in terms of pretty much anything and everything. So your issues with tapping is normal. Everyone else has the same issues, only difference is they tap with their non-dominant hand from the get-go, so they already got used to it. You essentially are starting from scratch, which is fine in the long run but in the short term you're going to suck.

Just play more.

As for leaving notes early, just play slower maps and focus on not leaving them early. It's a bad habit that you won't fix easily by playing maps that are difficult for you already.
Topic Starter
Tenshinawi

pandaBee wrote:

You're going to be better with your dominant hand in terms of pretty much anything and everything. So your issues with tapping is normal. Everyone else has the same issues, only difference is they tap with their non-dominant hand from the get-go, so they already got used to it. You essentially are starting from scratch, which is fine in the long run but in the short term you're going to suck.

Just play more.

As for leaving notes early, just play slower maps and focus on not leaving them early. It's a bad habit that you won't fix easily by playing maps that are difficult for you already.
On the note of leaving early. Would it by any chance have to do with my play-style as well. For example, instead of playing top-down or from the middle of the tablet, I play from the side of the tablet with my hand resting on it, and with that, I don't really snap all the time, and I feel I play more of a flow game.
Yuudachi-kun
No one needs to snap.

No one.
Topic Starter
Tenshinawi
O. I don't really try to snap anyways, I just play, and I flow.
Yuudachi-kun
ZenithPhantasm
Snap is best way to aim. Only flow if its an easy part or you are too suck to snap.
Bauxe
I have an anagram for you.

paly mroe
Topic Starter
Tenshinawi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Snap is best way to aim. Only flow if its an easy part or you are too suck to snap.
O ok. I do suck at snapping tho. I naturally horseshoe notes. Guess it's the usual as I should've expected. Simply keep playing and trying, etc.

Bauxe wrote:

paly mroe
play rome?
ZenithPhantasm

BullSmit wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

paly mroe
play rome?
Total War Rome 2 is a good game.
B1rd

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Nice joke.
ZenithPhantasm

B1rd wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Nice joke.
You can not appreciate how fun it is to watch virtual people kill other virtual people using various means.
B1rd

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You can not appreciate how fun it is to watch virtual people kill other virtual people using various means.
I appreciate this a lot and Rome 2 is still a shit game.
winber1

Bauxe wrote:

paly mroe
yo palmer
pandaBee

BullSmit wrote:

O ok. I do suck at snapping tho. I naturally horseshoe notes. Guess it's the usual as I should've expected. Simply keep playing and trying, etc.
Not horseshoeing is just one part of snapping. The other part is to move between circles as quickly and as straight as you can, even before it's time to hit the circle. That 2nd part isn't strictly necessary but the first part sort of is. You'll find a hard time doing patterns if you can't move in strictly straight lines between jumps.
bigfeh

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Have you tried Toribash?

Because you should try Toribash.
Topic Starter
Tenshinawi

pandaBee wrote:

BullSmit wrote:

Not horseshoeing is just one part of snapping. The other part is to move between circles as quickly and as straight as you can, even before it's time to hit the circle. That 2nd part isn't strictly necessary but the first part sort of is. You'll find a hard time doing patterns if you can't move in strictly straight lines between jumps.
I feel like that would be because I play from the side of the tablet. Could be wrong (And rather, I'd hope I'm wrong because it's where I'm comfortable), but yeah, I'm sure I'll get around to that as it's one of the many things I seemingly have to work on. Thanks for the advice.
Yuudachi-kun
Who needs to snap when you can u turn between jumps
Friendan

bigfeh wrote:

Have you tried Toribash?

Because you should try Toribash.
now THAT is a truly hard game

on-topic: play more and snap on jumps
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Who needs to snap when you can u turn between jumps
thelewa

BullSmit wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

paly mroe
play rome?
it's actually polymera
acid
I actually have the same problem, started off as a mouse player and I'm left handed. I got a tablet a while back and decided to try it out. Aim is perfectly normal, but my tapping accuracy is completely off beat, especially on triplets. It's most probably because we're not used to tapping with right hand instead of left. ( I personally tap much faster with right than left.) But nevertheless, I still screw up quite easily even though I can stream faster. It just needs a sort of play style on how you tap to different hits. Like Alternating your fingers or something like that.