forum

Spinner tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
H a n n a
Okay, so I'm extremely bad at spinners. I'm rank 75k to 80k (it's getting worse because of my spins and laziness) and my spins look like I'm a
WAY lower rank. When I do my hand just tenses up and starts making a diagonal line instead of a circle. Even when the overall difficulty is lower, it's likely I do horribly. This is getting me very frustrated since most people are great at spinning >:( I spin counter-clockwise, spinning clockwise makes me even slower. I've tried almost everything ;~;

EDIT: I forgot something. I don't press my pen down on the tablet, I hover. This is just a personal preference, if I don't hover I can't keep up with the map or jumps. I can't transition from hovering to not hovering when a spinner comes along because some spinners are too short to do that (for me). Also, my spins per/ minute are low if you haven't gotten that clue yet. Just at the beginning of April I was spinning 450 spins per minute, now I'm around 100 to 200. For all I know, this whole problem could just be because I'm weak, but I really don't know.
gintoki147
I spin counter-clockwise too and I'm good at it.
Keep trying and you'll get there. This is the easiest part of the game. lol
Yuudachi-kun
Anticlockwise spinners are weird and you should switch to clockwise spinning.

Also, spinning is almost as worthless a skill at streaming in osu, and as long as you can get a 300 on it, it doesn't matter unless you want top ranks on 4 mod easies.
Mafuuu
Edit:
Keep spinning, repetition makes it tense up less

First thing I said causes injury, don't do it .-.
Barusamikosu
Spinning counter-clockwise is fine. I used to spin pretty fast (~400-450) before I stopped using my Huion 420. Practice making small circles and try tensing the muscle in your arm instead of your hand.
Bauxe
If you can't work out how to spin, you won't get very far in this game.
pandaBee
You gotta go fast
Drayne
Anticlockwise spinning isn't weird, it's just something in your brain which decide the way you spin (and also draw circles and stuff in general). Cookiezi also used to spin anticlockwise. I've also heard something about that with a left handed player who is playing with the right hand and he had this problem too
7ambda

Kheldragar wrote:

Anticlockwise spinners are weird and you should switch to clockwise spinning.

Also, spinning is almost as worthless a skill at streaming in osu, and as long as you can get a 300 on it, it doesn't matter unless you want top ranks on 4 mod easies.
Thread creator says spinning clockwise is slower for him/her. Also, spinning direction comes down to personal preference. There isn't a "generally" better direction.

COUNTER-CLOCKWISE SPINNERS REPRESENT
ZenithPhantasm
Great Wall of Helpful Text

RIP wrote:

Increasing your spinning speed and consistency: If you are right-handed, learn how to spin counter clockwise. If you are left-handed, learn how to spin clockwise. It should feel more natural for most people. If not, train your brain to go to that direction until it develops muscle memory. Now, if you are one of the few people who can spin fast going the opposite unnatural direction (by fast I mean around 440-450 SPM or higher), there is no point for you to learn this.

Please note that this will take some people more time then others to get used to however, in the long run, it will be totally worth it! Give it 6 months max and I promise that your spin speed will be faster then at least 80% of people in the game (assuming that you stay consistent and stick with good habits). You should never use your wrists to spin! You need to learn how to rotate your whole arm in a circular motion while it is resting on the table. Make sure that you are using the muscles within your whole upper arm as a main source. Do not spin too close to the spinner because you will lose momentum too quickly; spin wider instead. Also, keeping your feet flat and sitting up straight helps with staying consistent with your spins.
-Makishima S-
tl;dr: Practice, practice, practice.

Zenny-chan forgot so i add this:

Play more (Zenny-chan TM)
ZenithPhantasm
Play spinner maps more
Drayne

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Great Wall of Helpful Text

RIP wrote:

Increasing your spinning speed and consistency: If you are right-handed, learn how to spin counter clockwise. If you are left-handed, learn how to spin clockwise. It should feel more natural for most people. If not, train your brain to go to that direction until it develops muscle memory. Now, if you are one of the few people who can spin fast going the opposite unnatural direction (by fast I mean around 440-450 SPM or higher), there is no point for you to learn this.

Please note that this will take some people more time then others to get used to however, in the long run, it will be totally worth it! Give it 6 months max and I promise that your spin speed will be faster then at least 80% of people in the game (assuming that you stay consistent and stick with good habits). You should never use your wrists to spin! You need to learn how to rotate your whole arm in a circular motion while it is resting on the table. Make sure that you are using the muscles within your whole upper arm as a main source. Do not spin too close to the spinner because you will lose momentum too quickly; spin wider instead. Also, keeping your feet flat and sitting up straight helps with staying consistent with your spins.
I don't think this is a great way to spin. Imo ppl should always spin the way it feels best for them
Saphirshroom

RIP wrote:

Please note that this will take some people more time then others to get used to however, in the long run, it will be totally worth it! Give it 6 months max and I promise that your spin speed will be faster then at least 80% of people in the game (assuming that you stay consistent and stick with good habits).
Yeah, taking six months to develop a skill that is not useful in real life ever and not even required in a game seems pretty worth it.

RIP wrote:

You should never use your wrists to spin!

Cause of reasons.

RIP wrote:

Do not spin too close to the spinner because you will lose momentum too quickly; spin wider instead.
What.
I don't know if that guy's hand is connected to his hand by a ball-and-socket joint but unless it is you'll always have to perform mechanical work to redirect your pen/mouse. Also, assuming you spin proportionally faster at lower radii your momentum is the same as with larger radii.

TL;DR do what you want and take care of your hands in the process.
buny

Saphirshroom wrote:

RIP wrote:

Please note that this will take some people more time then others to get used to however, in the long run, it will be totally worth it! Give it 6 months max and I promise that your spin speed will be faster then at least 80% of people in the game (assuming that you stay consistent and stick with good habits).
Yeah, taking six months to develop a skill that is not useful in real life ever and not even required in a game seems pretty worth it.

RIP wrote:

You should never use your wrists to spin!

Cause of reasons.

RIP wrote:

Do not spin too close to the spinner because you will lose momentum too quickly; spin wider instead.
What.
I don't know if that guy's hand is connected to his hand by a ball-and-socket joint but unless it is you'll always have to perform mechanical work to redirect your pen/mouse. Also, assuming you spin proportionally faster at lower radii your momentum is the same as with larger radii.

TL;DR do what you want and take care of your hands in the process.
why are you even here if you're going to ridicule people for gaining skill in a game that isn't useful in real life?

you're like a fattie that shames anybody that talks about dieting and exercising, lol

as for the topic, i won't give any specific technique but start slowly until you find a comfortable spinning motion, and keep trying to increase this speed (don't force yourself to go too fast or you will just end up swinging your cursor everywhere
-Makishima S-
I find is usefull in manual works. Since i live in small village, i have garden, so there every manual skills are usefull. How about that bruh? Get some real life first.

As for topic, here is map to train spining: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/172822
Enjoy
Saphirshroom

aisakatayga wrote:

I find is usefull in manual works. Since i live in small village, i have garden, so there every manual skills are usefull. How about that bruh? Get some real life first
The only thing thing I can imagine spinning being useful for is stirring your coffee or something similar and I'm satisfied with only stirring that at 200SPM instead of 500. Although I guess if I could do that I wouldn't need a coffee any more which is sorta nice.
pandaBee

Saphirshroom wrote:

The only thing thing I can imagine spinning being useful for is stirring your coffee
Maybe if you enjoy scalding yourself.
-Makishima S-

pandaBee wrote:

Fapping and Spinning on the same day is like asking for RSI. Don't do it OP.
U mean this RSI?

Or....

RSI-chan?

We have both in forum right now 8-)

The only thing thing I can imagine spinning being useful for is stirring your coffee or something similar
If you live in big city, that explain everything.
Small village away of any civilization ftw! Here only true (air)man can survive :D
ZenithPhantasm

aisakatayga wrote:

RSI-chan?

RSI-sama says he's coming for you
Yuudachi-kun
Zenny, how do you even get your fake rsi when you barely played Osu
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Zenny, how do you even get your fake rsi when you barely played Osu
My actual play count is probably 20-25k (counting online, offline, unranked, edits) with a good 7-8k grinding long stream maps. If you count playing relax then my play count is probably 30k+ (Yes I love relax mod THAT much)
Endaris
Only focus on your technique.
Personally I didn't find many maps where I actually have to spin fast to get a 300 off of it, 250 rpm is enough for 95% of the spinners you will encounter at your level of play.
And 250 rpm is really easy to do. Once you got solid spintechnique it's a breeze to accelerate to 300-350 which should suffice for pretty much any spinner in the game.

/edit: A good idea might also be to hold smoke during any spinner as it will show you clearly if you're deviating from circles or passing through the middle.
-Makishima S-

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

aisakatayga wrote:

RSI-chan?

RSI-sama says he's coming for you
Nuuuuuuuuuu, Zenny-chan, halp, save your minion from RSI-sama!

/edit: A good idea might also be to hold smoke during any spinner as it will show you clearly if you're deviating from circles or passing through the middle.
Better idea is neat and tidy skin which will show you exacly how you spin.