forum

What Improvement Feels Like

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YukiKazeKitsune
Hey there everyone, quick word about myself, I've been playing for I don't know how long and have seen my skills improve to the point where I can start doing 3 star maps with NoFail. I'm no pro, but I've seen vast improvements since I began. Just in case newbies were wondering, I'll share my experiences going back to the maps I found difficult. I'll also mention how this affects the goals you should have while training.

Improvement is that moment when you turn on an old map and find it slow, almost boringly simple. Improvement is when you can do the map on double time without feeling rushed. Improvement is that moment when playing on sudden death or perfect almost seems like a good idea. Improvement is when you kind of zone out and get 300 even though you don't know how you're keeping up with the beat. Improvement is that map you spent 3 days trying to beat before pulling a 30x max combo to beat with 65% accuracy.

Starting out, you'll find the most difficulty in your physical skill. At first, you can't click fast enough. You can't follow the movements. You miss really easy circles by a couple pixels. These all are limitations of your nervous system. When you go back to those maps, they'll feel slow, you won't believe how you failed a map so simple.

The ideal way to train for a map is to first surpass it. Don't stop pushing forward to harder maps. Always push into that realm where you can just barely pass. By doing this, you will hone your muscular responses. Don't worry about being sloppy. Don't worry about accuracy. Pass the hardest maps you can.

When improvement becomes difficult, it is time to go back and hone your fundamentals. I pushed past 1 star maps with an average accuracy of 80%. I found 98% easy once I was regularly beating 2 star maps. Once I started 2.5 star maps, I literally had to slow down to keep time with the 2 star maps.

When you've become that fast, you don't need to struggle to force your body to keep up. Instead, you can begin to hone your mind. It is at these times that you acquire finesse and rhythm. If keeping up with a map is simple, you can begin mastering the beat. You can begin mastering spinners. You can begin to gain the skills that will let you exceed the maps that held you back.

So basically, once it is physically easy to beat a map, you can start mentally improving. Mental improvements allow you to overcome physical limitations, letting you once again focus on improving reaction times. All improvement is, is a cycle of muscular, followed by mental improvement. Keep doing the hardest maps you can complete, and when you're physically incapable of passing, go to simpler maps and focus on accuracy.
Insyni
I really wish this was the truth for 5 star+ maps. They never seem to slow down...
Mafuuu
tl;dr: through practice of fast maps your mind will adapt to faster speeds
Vuelo Eluko

YukiKazeKitsune wrote:

When you've become that fast, you don't need to struggle to force your body to keep up. Instead, you can begin to hone your mind. It is at these times that you acquire finesse and rhythm. If keeping up with a map is simple, you can begin mastering the beat. You can begin mastering spinners. You can begin to gain the skills that will let you exceed the maps that held you back.
i dont know that i agree with this, i have a lot of maps where i can quite confidently keep up with them mentally and read like delrio or stan sb dead changed to ar8 and DT'd, or mad machine, but my fingers are very, very far from being able to output that kind of physical speed yet.
silmarilen
t/240983

Just go to Gameplay & Ranking if you want to talk about osu! stuff, OK!
KokoaCrunch
Yea for some reason when playing back the old maps things seems to get slower.
Just out of curiosity does it mean that it also affects irl as well? like you see things slower or smth along the line like that ~.~
Yuudachi-kun

Insyni wrote:

I really wish this was the truth for 5 star+ maps. They never seem to slow down...

hahahahahhaha
Mahogany
Please tell me you're joking

I'll admit that for example playing CS5 makes CS4 seem huge but the whole first half of your post is just so wrong
Andrea
Thread moved to G&R.
Woobowiz
You should really be done with this phase and have it process unconsciously after a few weeks of beginning to play the game...
bigfeh
you, I like you

I'm gonna start quoting this thread
-sev
dude nice
bigfeh

Kaienyuu wrote:

dude nice
WHY DO YOU KEEP STALKING ME
Endaris
I don't think that beating a map after 3 days with 65% acc and 30x combo does anything for you.
At least not more than playing a lot of different maps you get 80-90% acc first try with NoFail.
Barusamikosu

YukiKazeKitsune wrote:

Don't worry about being sloppy. Don't worry about accuracy.
But but

YukiKazeKitsune wrote:

Pass the hardest maps you can.
Okay I'll try
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
+1 post count
otoed1
Random post regarding how you can't feel improvement because it isn't a physical object.
drum drum
i think we're done now