forum

Hi! I'm a new tablet player! - Any tips?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ZenithPhantasm
Turn off Windows ink and flick and whatever useless Windows feature that involves tablets.
Yuudachi-kun
Use the full area. I prefer playing fullscreen but use whatever resolution you want for osu. If you hover, get used to not hovering too high. A tablet is NOT like a mouse. If you pick up the pen and move it around expecting the cursor to stay in place, it won't do that.

This is my mapping and I play fullscreen:

bigfeh
Passing by for obligatory "play more to git gud" and "use whatever playstyle suits you best, try them all to find which suits you best" messages.

Also pls enjoy game
uzzi

bigfeh wrote:

Also pls enjoy game
Really can't stress this last one enough.
-Makishima S-
Moving from mouse to tablet takes time. From small hints:
- hover pen a lil above tablet, you dont need to touch it
- setup tablet area for your own prefernces, smaller takes less hand movement but need more practice for greater acc

Enjoy the game, it's fun to play with tablet when you actualy learn to use it ^^.
Vuelo Eluko
disable mouse buttons, you'll occasionally bump the tablet with your pen, it doesn't matter if you do so ignore it

Riince wrote:

disable mouse buttons, you'll occasionally bump the tablet with your pen, it doesn't matter if you do so ignore it
inb4 tap x
Bauxe
play osu
autoteleology
It's pretty hard to give solid, objective tips on tablet use because there's a huge amount of variance between what works for people, and a lot of different ways you can use it. You're really going to have to sit down and consciously think about what works for you.

It's probably going to be helpful for you to tape your tablet down somewhere where it can stay, so your experience using it is consistent. The #2 player of osu! does this. Don't be afraid to move it if you find a more comfortable position for it, but be aware that it may ruin your muscle memory temporarily when you do, especially if you're using absolute positioning.

Here are some things for you to figure out when you first start:

- How do you like to hold the pen? The way you hold it to write may not be the most optimal way to hold it in osu!. Azer has a fairly unusual pen grip if you look at his YouTube videos, he holds it at the very bottom of the pen in a pinch grip. Legend has it that one of Cookiezi's secrets was that he held the pen in a way that he also was dragging his pinky on the surface of the tablet, so he had physical feedback on his pen movement.

- Do you like to press on the tablet with the pen, or hover it slightly above the surface?

- Do you prefer absolute positioning (tablet mode, where the tablet area represents the full pointable area of the application, and moving to a point on the tablet area moves to the equivalent point in the application) or mouse mode (relative positioning, where movement is calculated just as if you were using a mouse, in terms of directional movement regardless of where your pen is currently located)?

- What type of tablet area do you like to use? Full tablet area, or a partial area? And if a partial area, how large? Where do you position tablet area at, the center, the corners, or somewhere else? Some people like to use tape to mark off their tablet areas, so they have a visual and physical reminder / restriction of the bounds of their tablet areas. Remember, the balance between large and small tablet area affects the balance between your precision and your speed, where a large area will help your precision and stability but hinder your speed, and a small area will help your speed but hinder your precision and stability.
trebby
I disabled the tablet taps completely (you can do this in the driver), and ran this program (called tablettaptoclick, it simulates all tablet taps to mouse clicks).
It disables all cursor tap lag so if your nib accidentally touches the tablet, it won't freeze in place for a millisecond and resume. That was a big problem I had when first running the tablet. It's not crucial, but it sure helps.
Bauxe
oh also ignore Philosofikal's posts
Yuudachi-kun

Bauxe wrote:

Bauxe too. And me. And zenithphantasm. And Peppy; especially drumdtum. Infact, ignore all posts here.
Saphirshroom
Do whatever suits you. I prefer a large area because I tend to tremble slightly and I hate the unsure feeling I get when my cursor jitters.
Start playing with a random area and play with it for a few days. If you realize the area is uncomfortable for you, switch it.
Just don't confuse having to learn how to move the pen with actually feeling uncomfortable. Don't switch your area after playing with it for an hour, stick with it for a day or two, or however long it takes you to get accustomed to it.
I Give Up
Stretch arm, relax, eat healthy and sleep well.
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

autoteleology

Bauxe wrote:

play osu
How nice of you to take a break from grinding Airman to join us
Yuudachi-kun

Philosofikal wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

play osu
Airman is objectively the best map in the game.
ZenithPhantasm
Nah Nyan Nyan Drive is. Specifically my collab: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/303101
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Airman is unquestionably the best map in the game.
fixed
Woobowiz
1. Choose a comfortable tablet area. Full area isn't all that important, especially if your aiming style doesn't depend on arm movements.
2. Don't choose a stupid small area unless you know what you're doing, flicking your pen shouldn't move your cursor across the screen.
3. It doesn't matter if you drag or hover, just don't scratch into your tablet like some sort of barbarian.
4. pls heff fun wit gaim
Bauxe

Philosofikal wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

play osu
thnx
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

they used to say the same thing about me a year ago but since then and 3000 posts later ive managed to have at least 2-3 people think otherwise now

keep fighting the good fight philo

Riince wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

they used to say the same thing about me a year ago but since then and 3000 posts later ive managed to have at least 2-3 people think otherwise now

oh also ignore Riince's posts
ZenithPhantasm

Faces3 wrote:

oh also ignore Riince's posts
KokoaCrunch
Hover for greater movement, drag for greater aim. XD
Just be careful if you drag u might need to change ur nib once every few months or so.
Yuudachi-kun
Riince is right

Kheldragar wrote:

Riince is wrong
ftfy
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Riince is right
I agree!
bigfeh

Riince wrote:

kek
trebby

KokoaCrunch wrote:

Hover for greater movement, drag for greater aim. XD
Just be careful if you drag u might need to change ur nib once every few months or so.
Why did you laugh at that
Topic Starter
iStriderXD
Thank you so much everyone for the tips! Especially bigfeh for contacting me directly and providing advice for osu! in general.
bigfeh

iStriderXD wrote:

Thank you so much everyone for the tips! Especially bigfeh for contacting me directly and providing advice for osu! in general.
this is precisely how much of a fucking god I am
Barusamikosu

bigfeh wrote:

bigfeh bestfeh
ZenithPhantasm

bigfeh wrote:

iStriderXD wrote:

Nerd
E m i
feh is meh
bigfeh

Barusamikosu wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

bigfeh bestfeh
this is getting userpaged