forum

Learn to play Insane!

posted
Total Posts
show more
pandaBee

Woobowiz wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Bring me an absolute beginner and have them play 5 star insanes for a month and tell me how they're doing.
Hi.

Also, there ARE such things as 3-4 star insanes.
Oh really?
Barusamikosu

pandaBee wrote:

Oh really?
I want to use bold letters too.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/232773
2.5star insane
Yuudachi-kun

Woobowiz wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Bring me an absolute beginner and have them play 5 star insanes for a month and tell me how they're doing.
Hi.

Also, there ARE such things as 3-4 star insanes.
There are also such thing as 5 star insanes. Your point?
Woobowiz

Kheldragar wrote:

Your point?
The point being that no one mentioned what specific star rating to play Insanes on. But you just assumed the advice they gave implied a 5 star rating.

Have you not noticed that you cherry picked your argument?
Endaris
When your top play is an easy, insanes are still something you'll have less success on within a month of playing compared to someone who works his way through star increments(according to ranking critera, insane ist 3.75-5.25, median would be 4.5 which is arguably not playable by a newb)
You might get some good scores with decent acc on certain maps you practised a lot but your consistency through a large variety of maps and mapping styles will be a lot worse, especially if it comes down to AR 9 vs lower ARs(depending on what you focused on the switch in either direction is hard)
I mean, i'm a bad player and depending on how well the map fits my inexisting qualities I can get up to 80% acc on a sightread on a 4.5 star map even though what i'm playing on average is 1 full star below(not much less than the difference of hardest easy to easiest hard).
Yuudachi-kun

Woobowiz wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Your point?
The point being that no one mentioned what specific star rating to play Insanes on. But you just assumed the advice they gave implied a 5 star rating.

Have you not noticed that you cherry picked your argument?
No, I haven't, because I was the first person to suggest playing more insane won't help and the only thing other people said were "Yes it will."
bigfeh
Play more of ANYTHING will help you play insane nomod. You just gotta git gud for fuck's sake

Practice is practice. If you want to learn hard patterns, play harder diffs. Speed, DT. Aim and timing, HR.

Also pretty sure there's something in for HD but I don't think anybody really knows what it is
Yuudachi-kun

bigfeh wrote:

Play more of ANYTHING will help you play insane nomod. You just gotta git gud for fuck's sake

Practice is practice. If you want to learn hard patterns, play harder diffs. Speed, DT. Aim and timing, HR.

Also pretty sure there's something in for HD but I don't think anybody really knows what it is

Have someone who is new at the game play 5 star maps for a month or two. The first day they will fail the songs within the first few seconds. The next day they might get a bit farther. The next they'll probably hit a part they can't aim at for life's sake. What have they learned? Nothing. Maybe after teo months they can pass with a C if it's low hp.

Playing more isn't very helpful here.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Have someone who is new at the game play 5 star maps for a month or two. The first day they will fail the songs within the first few seconds. The next day they might get a bit farther. The next they'll probably hit a part they can't aim at for life's sake. What have they learned? Nothing. Maybe after teo months they can pass with a C if it's low hp.

note the hard patterns part and now, add to it the fact that hard is very much subjective. If you play 3 star maps, 4 stars are probably very hard for you, but 4 stars is what I play whenever I'm drunk/sleep deprived/reading something on the other screen/a combination of the three.
Shiyzo

CuboidBeats wrote:

playmoreplaymoreplaymoreplaymoreitstheonlywaytoimroveplaymoreplaymoreplaymorethereisnotrickplaymoreplaymoreplaymore
SPAM
bigfeh

Avisdavid wrote:

CuboidBeats wrote:

playmoreplaymoreplaymoreplaymoreitstheonlywaytoimroveplaymoreplaymoreplaymorethereisnotrickplaymoreplaymoreplaymore
SPAM
as if just posting "SPAM" weren't spam

if you want attention, wrap a watermelon around your neck and go walk around town
ZenithPhantasm
Play more
autoteleology

I've been saying this since I've been here. Play more is shit advice. Playing more means nothing if you're not practicing intelligently.
Yuudachi-kun
It both is and isn't the best advice.
ZenithPhantasm
Play alot more
-sev

Philosofikal wrote:

I've been saying this since I've been here. Play more is shit advice. Playing more means nothing if you're not practicing intelligently.
Stop spending more time trying to find ways to improve and start improving by simply playing the game.

tl;dr play more
bigfeh

Kaienyuu wrote:

Philosofikal wrote:

Stop spending more time trying to find ways to improve and start improving by simply playing the game.

tl;dr play more
ZenithPhantasm

Kaienyuu wrote:

tl;dr play more
pandaBee
As a living testament salient to the topic of this thread, I myself was advised to play really, really difficult songs for my level (4-5*) despite being a beginner. My friends all assured me that pushing myself very hard on these incredibly difficult songs would unlock the inner cokezero inside of me, so I ended up playing 4-5* for an entire month on no fail.

Did I progress? Not really. I improved at reading ar 9 a bit and I was able to move my hands pretty fast and mash fast as well, but I had very little aim or accuracy to speak of, and my technique and rhythm perception were horrendously lacking. I think I played this way until I was around 80-70k, after which I realized that my friends were all retards and I started all over and began relearning the basics from the bottom up.

Now I can actually play those songs that I mindlessly flailed on, but it took a logical approach. Sometimes effort alone isn't enough to carry you in everything. I once heard an analogy where there's a fly trying to escape outside of a house through a glass window. The fly keeps banging his head and charging into the window in the hopes that he may be able to escape outside, but no matter how many times he attempts this he will never make it out this way as the window is shut tight. As that analogy might illustrate, you shouldn't just play more and struggle needlessly, instead play efficiently and struggle in a smart manner.
-sev
Play more =/= Mash buttons on maps that are way beyond your league like a retard. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out.
Yuudachi-kun

Kaienyuu wrote:

Play more =/= Mash buttons on maps that are way beyond your league like a retard. It doesn't take a genious to figure that out.
I think play more means play more. You know, what it says.
-sev
What a shocking revelation.
Yuudachi-kun

Kaienyuu wrote:

What a shocking revelation.
Then why did you have to say it?
pandaBee

Kaienyuu wrote:

I have a very strong work ethic, and I don't value my skills very highly, so when I saw that I wasn't improving much it wasn't that I couldn't see that I wasn't improving very much, it was just that I thought I wasn't putting in enough effort, and in a way I was progressing, just not in an efficient manner. Besides I was just a nub at the time and didn't know anything at all.
Assuming that was directed towards me.
GoldenWolf

Kheldragar wrote:

Typically, you want to play more while using common sense, or at least trying to come up with a logical process on what would be the most efficient way to improve.
bigfeh

GoldenWolf wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Typically, you want to play more while using common sense, or at least trying to come up with a logical process on what would be the most efficient way to improve.
We just say play more because play more + common sense = gitting gud

problem is, some people think that coming up with a logical process will help you git gud faster. Playing more will. Thinking about it will not.

Think about that.
GoldenWolf
I'm merely hoping that while thinking about a logical process of improving efficiently they wouldn't go post on G&R asking how to get better on a rhythm game where all you have to do is to click circles, following a song more or less accurately.
-sev

pandaBee wrote:

I have a very strong work ethic, and I don't value my skills very highly, so when I saw that I wasn't improving much it wasn't that I couldn't see that I wasn't improving very much, it was just that I thought I wasn't putting in enough effort, and in a way I was progressing, just not in an efficient manner. Besides I was just a nub at the time and didn't know anything at all.
Assuming that was directed towards me.
I see where you're coming from. Just to clarify, I wasn't calling you slow or anything. I too had friends that told me the same things. Eventually I caught up.
Endaris

bigfeh wrote:

problem is, some people think that coming up with a logical process will help you git gud faster. Playing more will. Thinking about it will not.

Think about that.
stahp!

it's fun to think about it as you can chill in g&r and read shitposts while doing it. if the same would be possible while playing I'd do it!
bigfeh

Endaris wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

Think about that.
stahp!

it's fun to think about it as you can chill in g&r and read shitposts while doing it. if the same would be possible while playing I'd do it!
I'm playing more AND shitposting more. beat that shit
-sev
You play the same maps all the time, that doesn't even count as playing more.
Kingkevin30

LeonDX2 wrote:

Or can you give me tipps?
yes, don't play'em.

Done.
leepdesu
Just play the game.
shawnpink28

otoed1 wrote:

Currently, I wouldn't say you have mastered hards to begin with. You may feel that they are easy to aim on, but your goal whilst playing is to obtain a full combo coupled with high accuracy. Most of your top plays consist of low accuracy (around 95%). You should be shooting for 98-99%. In the case of playing insanes, if you look at the star rating you can better judge the difficulty of a map. Insanes vary a lot in difficulty and you should look for the easier ones to start with.

ty this advice has definitely helped me fix my problems :) :oops: :lol: 8-)
ZenithPhantasm

-LeeP- wrote:

Just play the game.
I Give Up
Don't think. Push buttons. Play more. Hit circles. Retry. Believe.
bigfeh

KukiMonster wrote:

Don't think. Push buttons. Play more. Hit circles. Retry. Believe.