forum

Spring 2015 Anime First Impressions Chart

posted
Total Posts
show more
xxdeathx
Seraph of the End - quite a strong first episode, I hope it can keep it up for everything that comes after. Music by Hiroyuki Sawano (HYPE)

Plastic Memories - the feels were more than i expected

all of these have been quite strong so far
Tsukimi Luna
2 words... Onion Factory
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Fate/Stay Night UBW Season 2: Just as amazing as the first. Nothing else needs to be said

Gunslinger Stratos: I find the premise of it so far to be interesting, and that's what is keeping me interested. The animation is fairly average and the action was decent.
BeatofIke

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Still waiting for subs on Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu ;~; And then I have 5 shows that air today so hopefully those get subs soon enough.
The subs are out now. I just watched it about an hour ago owo
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

BeatofIke wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Still waiting for subs on Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu ;~; And then I have 5 shows that air today so hopefully those get subs soon enough.
The subs are out now. I just watched it about an hour ago owo
Yeah I watched it earlier. Not sure how I feel about it tho
Green Platinum
It's pretty weird how releases for Nagato Yuki and Nanoha Vivid have been unreliable

I personally don't like the current section of F/SN story so i wont be surprised if I don't enjoy the second half as much.
blissfulyoshi
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid: It's a bright and colorful, updated Nanoha. A decent short action scene, a crazy long transformation scene, and decent art all around (nothing amazing though). I wish they did some recap of the end of StrikerS to explain Fate's reaction, but whatever, I came for a fun and light hearted series with decent action like dog days, and I'm pretty sure I'll get just that (don't expect a deep plot)

Highschool DxD Born: DxD with updated art and all the fanservice (and comedy) the series was known for.... If you disliked the previous seasons, pls don't watch.
piruchan
Here we go

Denpa Kyoushi - main character seems close to Onizuka level of teacher greatness. I had some good laugh watching it.
Owari no Seraph - looks nice, but lacks impact. 2 characters I've taken a liking to got killed ;_;
Re-kan! - Strange background aside, this is fun. I want it to be good, but something tells me it's going to get boring. And the girls have surprisingly not perfectly slender legs despite being an anime character.
Shokugeki no Souma - literally wtf. Might stay around and see if things get better. Why can't cooking shows be as good as Yakitate!! Japan ?
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku - I'm going to quote someone on twitter "So it's pretty much going as if the last episode of the first season aired last week," because that's exactly what it is, apart from the seemingly worse art quality.

Lanturn wrote:

Where's my digimon ;_;
blissfulyoshi
Denpa Kyoushi: How many people need to screw up backgrounds this season? Well ignoring the the backgrounds, the show captures the spirit of the manga really well, so I had a good share of laughs that will hopefully continue in future eps.
Green Platinum
Nanoha Vivid

blissfulyoshi wrote:

a crazy long transformation scene, and decent art all around (nothing amazing though).
I think we will only the long transformation for the first time and then it'll settle into a shortened version (or we'll get what happens in Precure Allstars) I generally like the new look but something seems off about Nanoha. Also I didn't see Siglinde Jeremiah in the OP/ED :cry:

Highschool DxD

blissfulyoshi wrote:

If you disliked the previous seasons, pls don't watch.
Don't tell me what to do. The series seems to be taking its popularity for granted I hope it doesn't drop too much and rely exclusively on new characters and ecchi content.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Highschool DxD Born: Good art good boobs.
SirMaddy
Nanoha ViVid: It's alright, not digging A-1's style though, they drew the eyes too big for their heads.
domSaur
High School DxD BorN - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Plastic Memories - Looks to be packed with feels... altho i still can't fully grasp the thing about disintegrating memories..
hehe
Owari no Seraph: extremely well done, every single frame looked perfectly drawn and on point. great hook in the pilot episode as well. although a slightly generic story (oh everyone died time 4 revenge), it seems to have a lot of potential. lots and lots of hype. pretty good music too.

Arslan Senki: getting them Prince of Persia vibes. introduces conflicts in belief and shows that Arslan can learn more blah blah. i have very high expectations for this!

Shokugeki no Souma: anime has done the mango justice, can't wait for more.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Arslan Senki: The art style drew me to it, seeing as Hiromu Arakawa designed the characters from the manga. Sadly tho, she didn't do the story for it. I feel like I cannot judge it much yet off of the first episode, since the actual story starts in the second episode, but the premise set by the first episode already has me wanting to see how more of this show will play out.
[ yogurt ]
Denpa Kyoushi: I had the lowest expectations for this, but it's awesome.

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?: Generic, but fun. Hestia is 2cute. Looks kinda rushed though.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season: Archer pls.

Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation: Interesting premise but very weak animation.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid: Magical Martial Arts Loli. 10/10.

Owari no Seraph: Would be green if not the high school in the preview. I mean, why? It would be much better without hs hijinks.

Plastic Memories: My heart. Thank god Isla is there or I wouldn't be able to take this.

Re-Kan!: The only red. Not very funny for a comedy. Inoue is super cute though.

Shokugeki no Souma: How do people not like it? It's fun as hell and labeled as ecchi so if you don't like ecchi don't friggin pick it up. Damn people.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku: 8man is back with his monologues baby. I like the new artstyle.
Green Platinum

domSaur wrote:

i still can't fully grasp the thing about disintegrating memories..
I don't know what you have an issue with. They are machines and they break, like a hard-drive
I have high expectations for some 'Do androids dream of electric sheep' styled metaphysics.

Season 2 of Baby steps is looking better than season 1 like most sports anime since it is no longer so hung on explaining the basics of the sport and hits the ground running.

Season 3 of Uta-Pri on the other hand looks to be a waste.

Arsian Senki feels alot like Magi when it was good, but too much doubt to be certain.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Green Platinum wrote:

Arsian Senki feels alot like Magi when it was good, but too much doubt to be certain.
Despite not liking Magi, I do like Arslan Senki as of the moment. I had heard good things about the manga in the past from some people that I know. Maybe I like it more so than Magi because I very much like the art style of Arakawa. I'll just have to see how Arslan plays out tho to see if I stay into it or not.
Green Platinum

SirMaddy wrote:

They drew the eyes too big for their heads.
NicoNicoNiii
Omg this is hilarious xD How more creepy they can get than this?
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Now that's what I call nightmare fuel.
NicoNicoNiii
Show By Rock!!
Wow those awful 3d segments and stupid s/m action. Dunno how did I survive this. Also this anime has a doctor claw for some reason.
Re-Kan!
Doesnt have much to offer but mc is kinda cute.
Plastic Memories
This anime has too much potential hope they dont screw it up. If it had a manga I would read it immediately.
Denpa Kyoushi
Didnt have any expectations but its kinda good. Gave me a few laughs at least. Gonna stick around for more.
Green Platinum
3D looks bad in essentially all anime and if plastic memories had a manga it would probably suck
Navizel
Shokugeki no Souma - Surprisingly, the fanservice didn't tick me off. Story is good so I could probably ignore the fanservice.

Denpa Kyoushi - First half really was a turn off. Second half is average. We'll see after three episodes if I should drop it or not.

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? - Chaika-tier show. Same judgment as Denpa Kyoushi.

Plastic Memories - Good series. Time of Eve vibes.
Jindujun93
Fate/Stay Night UBW 2: Makes the same mistake as season 1, meaning it tries to cover up something utterly mediocre with good animation. It doesn't work for me.

Denpa Kyoushi: Otaku GTO? No thanks.

Arslan Senki: First episode looked pretty good, though I'm wary of the CGI and Arslan's design. Still looks promising.

Kekkai Sensen: Best first episode by a landslide. Bones + Nightow deliver for sure. Looks like I'll be in for an awesome ride. Also nice that they brought the black cat from Trigun back.

Shokugeki no Souma: Not really feeling it yet.

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?: One of those utterly cringe-worthy LN adaptions again.

Baby Steps 2: I missed it, so it's good to have it back.

Owari no Seraph: Waste of time.

Disappearance of Yuki Nagato: While Moe Yuki can be fun to watch, that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it. Everything else is just too bland, though the original wasn't much better either.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Show by Rock!!: The 3D was out of place and very odd. The episode felt like it was all over the place and didn't have much plot.

Kekkai Sensen: More pls now
Green Platinum
DEnpa Kyoushi has the problem that it fills the same niche as Assassination Classroom and will need to try to not feel the same.

Owari no Seraph could either become a shitty 'macabre for kids' show like Tokyo Ghoul or standout on its own. looks like the former atm.

Unconvinced on Kekkai Sensen
blissfulyoshi
Show by Rock: Wow this show was everywhere in both plot and art style. From typical semi 3d anime shading, to a realistic CG city, to a very flat 2d popup ending scene. While I thought the action scenes were pretty bad, we had the ginga bishonen singing in a band with rainbows and stars. And then, there was more singing. I'll give this show another ep before dropping.

Arslan Senki: I usually don't like adventuring series because they usually have a naive protag who is "discovering" new things while he fights with ideas like racism and other forms of bias. This show is no exception. It would be passable if the protag cut in some jokes or if this was a jrpg with some plot and user interaction, but this has neither.

Kekkai Sensen: Wow this is one of the best Bones shows I have seen in ages. Stylistic attacks in the style of older super heroes mixed with solid animation and backgrounds. I am not exactly caring much about the mc, but that can easily be overlooked when everything else is so interesting.
Green Platinum
I don't know which version of Yuki Nagato is more boring.
Zuikaku
Woohoo! Time to forget about the outside world and the fact that I don't have a girlfriend so I can watch romance anime/play eroge (best relationship advice out there) hoping to become a Harem King 8-)
[Superstar]_old
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic: Yay! Exactly what I need when it comes to funny slice of life Animes. Doing a good job as season 1.
Nanoha Vivid: Pretty good so far, I really enjoyed all the Nanoha stuff so far and grew a liking to the characters. Glad to see that Vivio is getting the attention now. Promising :D
Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?: It was okay, but I'm not sure about this one yet. One scene in particular threw me off. Let's see how well it will go in the next episode(s).
Denpa Kyoushi: Okay I guess, can't say much about it, only that the animations are mediocore and that it reminds me of GTO lol
Green Platinum

Poisonmellon wrote:

so I can watch romance anime/play eroge (best relationship advice out there)
Wut?

Ace of Diamond S2 looks to be alot like Kuroko's B'Ball with just repeated game after game I don't know whether this season is going to be as long as season 1 but if so 1 episode really indicates nothing.

[Superstar] wrote:

Nanoha Vivid: Pretty good so far, I really enjoyed all the Nanoha stuff so far and grew a liking to the characters. Glad to see that Vivio is getting the attention now. Promising :D
I personally prefer Nanoha over Vivio so I guess I'm waiting for Einhart to join the group since Jeremiah won't be appearing very soon. I hope Vivid is testing the waters for a Nanoha Force adaption since I think it'd make a much better anime.
NicoNicoNiii
Arslan Senki
Well its a positive neutral. Story somewhat has a potential and I like medieval era history genre. Dont like the MC that much but Ill follow the show. Also a little fact, the word arslan comes from old turkish. It means lion (MC could no way be compared to a lion though.)

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu
Oh noes!..
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara
Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu: What?
Green Platinum
As someone who didn't at all care about Yuki Nagato did fans of her actually impose that kind of personality on her blank slate of a character from the original show? I guess I have a friend I can ask next time I catch up with them.
Topic Starter
Kyonko Hizara

Green Platinum wrote:

As someone who didn't at all care about Yuki Nagato did fans of her actually impose that kind of personality on her blank slate of a character from the original show? I guess I have a friend I can ask next time I catch up with them.
I actually don't like her being moe tbh, it takes away the reason I liked her.
Navizel
it's a spinoff
Green Platinum

Navizel wrote:

it's a spinoff
You miss the point. At this point there's no point in calling her Yuki Nagato she is pretty much a coincidentally lookalike character.
Navizel
There's always the original Haruhi Suzumiya series if you want the original character.

The setting is based on the alternate universe depicted in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, in which Haruhi Suzumiya never formed the SOS Brigade. The series follows Yuki Nagato, who in this world is not a stoic alien but rather a shy and tentative girl, as she develops feelings for her fellow literature club member, Kyon.
She's supposed to be different from the original series.
Green Platinum
nty Kuuderes are nearly as bad as Yanderes.
I can't even remember what she was like in the movie but this version of her just seems like a odd point to promote the series on.
show more