forum

[web] Countries Ranking based on Average pp instead of total

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +20
Topic Starter
[Kanzaki Ranko]
Countries Ranking should be based on average pp.
My point of view is: measuring which country's players play better makes more sense than quantifying the amount of players that play "decently" in that country.

Of course, this should also be combined with Regional Ranking mentioned here by peppy (thanks CDFA for the link); we don't want Heard Island and McDonald Islands being #1 for having a single player who has nearly 4kpp.
Shohei Ohtani
This is the regional rankings you were asking for: t/124920&start=0

It'd be nicer if you could choose what to base the rankings off of (aka. Organize by number of players, organize by total playcount, etc)
Luvdic
I think its better a sum of the pp of the top 100 or *insert your appropiate number here* rather than all players of the country
TakuMii

Xanandra wrote:

I think its better a sum of the pp of the top 100 or *insert your appropiate number here* rather than all players of the country
Or better yet, the top 10%. That way, it'll be more consistent no matter how many people are in a single country.
Topic Starter
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Xanandra wrote:

Having it be a sum makes it unfair for smaller countries; which is excatly what I'm trying to avoid with this suggestion.

YayMii wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

Or better yet, the top 10%. That way, it'll be more consistent no matter how many people are in a single country.
This one was pretty good. (if you're talking about top 10%'s average pp, that is)
Full Tablet
What about making each country be considered as a player, which has the best performance of the best player in the country each map?

For example: some player from Canada does a record in a song, gaining pp, if that record is also the best record done by a Canadian player, then Canada also gets pp from that song (which would increase it's overall pp or not because of pp weighting).
N i k k i
I think It's a nice Idea
But i think there is a problem, because if there many new players the pp of a country will go down by fast. ^^
Maybe the average pp of the top 100 player's or maybe a bit different ;D
Drezi
As you can see country rankings right now are based on the simple sum of all it's players' performances, and that's not too relevant. https://osu.ppy.sh/p/countryranking

My suggestion is simple - individual player pp isn't a simple sum of all our performances either (that would be terrible right?), so country rankings could use the exact same method to weight every player's performance and use that for rankings.

Just like this, only with player PP values instead of map PP:

Same logic could be applied to get a more meaningful country PP:

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that country ranking pages should look like the above or be modified in any way - it's only a demonstration for how the value could be calculated that is used here: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/countryranking
Bauxe
I like this idea.
blahpy

Drezi wrote:

Same logic could be applied to get a more meaningful country PP:
This is a really cool concept.
KapengBarako
Average PP of the top 100 of a country is probably the best idea.
Bauxe

OppaiTaisho wrote:

Average PP of the top 100 of a country is probably the best idea.
I think Drezi's idea would be more suitable than using an arbitrary number of users from a country.