forum

Community Mentor Recruitment 2015 (Spring-Summer Cycle!)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Hello everyone.

The Community Mentorship program was a way for new and learning mappers to make a splash in the community by having a guiding hand from a more experienced mapper or modder.

I am making an attempt to revive the long dormant Community Mentorship program, with some new changes in hopes to make results more tangible to everyone participating.

If you are interested in becoming a pupil, please fill out this form before April 24th: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KDbuYs ... =send_form

Refer to the mentor list on the second post to see your options.

I am introducing some new things to the program.

Details are as follows:

1. Standard only for now.
  2. Mentorships are operated on a per cycle basis. Cycles are periods of time (currently 3 months long) where the mentor will be bound to a pupil.
  3. Cycles are culminated in an event that takes place between all mentor-pupil pairs. Each pair will present a work they have created in that cycle, and all the Mentors will serve as judges. A small scale mapping competition, except anything goes.
  4. Judging will be really relaxed. All mentors will do is pick one map other than their pupil's that they think is the best. The Pupil with the highest tally wins.
  5. THIS ISN'T REALLY A COMPETITION. You aren't competing for anything! This is purely incentive for pupils.
  6. We want to focus on a more "discussion" oriented view in these events. We want to build these mappers together as a community.
  7. Upon the culmination of each cycle, a new cycle will begin. After each cycle ends, the mentor and pupil can decide whether or not they want to continue for another cycle, or take on a new pupil. Due to the nature of the new program, each mentor is limited to one pupil at a time. Pupils who part with a mentor are still eligible for future cycles so long as they have a total of less than 4 total cycles. Keep in mind that mentors should be considering these pupils as returning participants, and consider their improvements as a mapper instead of a first impression.
Pair matching will occur after both mentor and pupil applications have concluded.

1. You must have been a member of BN or BAT for at least 3 months. External mentors are considered on a CASE BY CASE BASIS.
  2. You must be DEDICATED to your position as a mentor. You are expected to be responsible for your pupil and his submission for Mentorship Expo.
  3. You should be prepared to invest a good amount of time for the program. Scheduling is up to you, but lackluster mentorship experiences should not happen.
How you decide to progress with your pupil is up to you. This may be as much of a learning experience to you as much as it is to your pupil.

If you are interested in being a mentor, please PM me. I will reply with further details and ask you for more information about yourself.

In addition, I'm open to suggestions for amendments to what I have right now.
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Current pairings:

Nardoxyribonucleic
Is the program limited to standard mode only?
Topic Starter
Nyquill
I was just about to edit my post about that, but yes. Due to how relatively small other communities are, it would have to operate completely differently. I don't have experience in other game modes enough to moderate a discussion about them, and I really just want to trial this once.

I might have vanilla mentorship for other game modes in the future though.
Okoratu
would love to join this as a mentor but sadly I'm in my 3rd month of being a BN now so I don't fulfill one of the criteria to apply :/

guess I will come back next month then huh
because the idea is awesome
Sonnyc
Pretty interesting that alumnis can now post here lol derp Nyquill was a GM x.x
Kibbleru
hmm well i am basically already "mentoring" a few people already so i guess i can do this officially now.

rly proud of meyrink who i've helped out a bit :3 he got quite good really fast
BeatofIke
Good luck with this project. I'm glad to see this revived. :D
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Hello everyone.

I'm going to open pupil applications for the first cycle. on April 4th. Until then, you can apply to be mentor for the first cycle. You are free to apply any time you want, but you would have to wait for subsequent cycles.
LexiaLovesU
I would love to join I guess I need to wait 2 more months sadly
Topic Starter
Nyquill
The 3 month limit is to make sure people don't drop in and out of BN for the duration of mentorship. I'm going to be lenient with this for the first cycle since the majority of new BNs got added not too long ago. Feel free to send me a pm.
Ayachi-
Can someone like me become a pupil? :3
Topic Starter
Nyquill
I have a philosophy that anyone at any time can be a student. However, do realize that if you are well established, you will probably be expected to improve more in your cycles.
xxdeathx
Maybe he means a pupil for learning standard mapping
Gaia
id mentor sakura in standard mapping!! XD
Sakura
Nice, i'd love to mentor someone, but unfortunately i don't have much time atm, maybe next cycle :<
Kibbleru
i mentored gaia in standard mapping
Gaia

Kibbleru wrote:

i mentored gaia in standard mapping
b-baka :<

i-its not like i'm grateful or a-anything...... hmph!!!!
captin1
don't get too cocky kibbleru i remember modding your first maps
Ozato Fumika
how do I become a mentee
Birdy
Oh damn, would've loved to become a mentor. Maybe in 3 months.

Also,
>CDFA
Topic Starter
Nyquill

Nyquill wrote:

The 3 month limit is to make sure people don't drop in and out of BN for the duration of mentorship. I'm going to be lenient with this for the first cycle since the majority of new BNs got added not too long ago. Feel free to send me a pm.
Mentee applications are happening April 4th.
Kibbleru

captin1 wrote:

don't get too cocky kibbleru i remember modding your first maps
im not >< just playing around D:
hehe
seems nice
Topic Starter
Nyquill
reminder to mentors that FILL OUT YOUR CONTACT INFO OR I'LL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOU.
Tari
I want to be a mentor :O

pmed him.
Kibbleru

Nyquill wrote:

reminder to mentors that FILL OUT YOUR CONTACT INFO OR I'LL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOU.
nooo not the leggsss ;w;
Topic Starter
Nyquill
Finalizing mentor participation. Applications will start soon.
hehe
hype
show more