Stepmania

posted
Total Posts
show more
Loginer
I play a little StepMania every now and then, for the exercise. :3
Dark Deception_old

Saturos wrote:

Already a thread for it somewhere, and a lot of osu! players actually came from Stepmania to begin with.

This is simply better. ;x
Like 31Gabe, who is no longer around ever since.
MusicFan
Fun fact: Osu! is how I found stepmania.
adamskii_uk
I started playing StepMania in the summer of 2005 and I still play it to this day but not as often as I once did.

Whilst searching for rhythm type games on the Nintendo DS, I then found 'Elite beat Agents' and the 'Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!' games. From there I found a EBA simulator called 'Clickbeat' which is now dead, then I found Osu! by chance on Google whilst searching for rhythm games for the PC. :)
Shirotora_old
Same here: started in summer 2005, still play it on my laptop in the train.

Every once in a long while I hear people go 'wtf is that guy doing?' behind me when I clear a 12-footer (at C400) or something. =/
Mogsy
Ahaha. I'm kind of an old fogey when it comes to SM (five years on SM). I still play SM, and I don't impress much (13-14 footers, tend to AA both).
anonymous_old
Stepmania is how I found Osu, too. I think I found it on the starting days of August 2006. I still play it now and then, but not as much as Osu. :D
James
i play stepmania but i hate it at the same time because some songs are impossible with a dancepad (i play stepmania with a dancepad)
anonymous_old

James wrote:

i play stepmania but i hate it at the same time because some songs are impossible with a dancepad (i play stepmania with a dancepad)
I know... :| I hate it when people make the steps too hard for people with dancepad, or with keyboard. I mean look at the Touhou songs. They have so much notes in them most of the time, and they're too fast to see...
Mogsy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Detective Tuesday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr9WBgq1ZAA

One of the greatest StepMania marathons out.
James
unplayable songs on a dancepad but playable with keyboard is easy, just like playing hard songs on o2jam~
Topic Starter
Dave001
Well i am a fan of all rythm games including stepmania because it is also open sourced.

I play all the songs on a dancemat and on the online multiplayer version of the game.

There is only one song i can't do on that and that is a song called xepther from ddr supernova.

If anybody or thing can do this on a dance mat then i'm scared
Mogsy

James wrote:

unplayable songs on a dancepad but playable with keyboard is easy, just like playing hard songs on o2jam~
Trust me, keyboard files these days are NOT easy.

So, I reinstalled SM, and finally got my pack to work. Downloaded DDR Extreme's songs and currently getting ITG2~

I suck royally.
AceOfArrows
I'm gaining popularity as a StepMania stepchart author, having released 38 simfiles to date (er...www.aceofhearts.weebly.com).

I then discovered Osu about a week ago (and having played EBA and greatly enjoying it, I had to play Osu as well).

I'm happy to see so many quality beatmaps (and a lot of the anime songs I charted on SM has been done tastefully here in Osu, saving me a lot of trouble).

Keep an eye out for me - I love this game, so I might start doing Osu beatmaps in addition to StepMania stepcharts.

I guess I oughta talk more about SM, eh?

I've played plenty of SMO; I love Otaku's Dream most, though I've dabbled in other packs as well. I'm gaining skill at keyboard charts and may one day rival the likes of Xion Steel. As for my current skill level, according to what I can pass from the Otaku's Dream packs, I can pass Ichirin No Hana HHM and Motteke Sailor Fuku on Oni, but Silly-Go-Round appears impossible for the moment.
Axel

James wrote:

So you play O2jam?? =D i play Keyboard songs on Stepmania like Keyboard Megapack and Keyboard Collab not ddr songs because they are easy to AAA ;) Nah Silly-Go-Round is easy i know an easy Trick to pass it just do double index ;) The keys for double index is...

W
A
S
D

and...

I
J
K
L
Mogsy
You see, DDR songs aren't that easy to AAA when playing pad. :U

Also, I used to be decent at keyboard, then I stopped. I was able to AA 13-14 footers. :\

By the way, double setup (that's what it's called) is cheating.
awp
I used to play with the keys ASIL as my keys when I didn't feel like padplay. It worked really well for me, too.
Mogsy
Yeah, awp, spread is generally the way to go.
Saturos
zx ./ for me~

I'm amazingly bad at Stepmania now, though.
Mogsy
x,dl when I played

I used my left hand for x and d, my right for , and l.
Axel

Mogsworth wrote:

Also, I used to be decent at keyboard, then I stopped. I was able to AA 13-14 footers. :\

No its not....Using JUDGE 1 online is cheating but Double Index is not cheating.
Mogsy

bRiGhT wrote:

Mogsworth wrote:

No its not....Using JUDGE 1 online is cheating but Double Index is not cheating.
Yes, it is. Using double setup is cheating. Using more than 4 keys is cheating. Double index, as you call it, is 8.
qudfo9
I agree with Saturos's opinion very much.

I got to know osu! when I was playing SM.

Actually the other day, I used to check the article about osu! in bemanistyle.

Then I decided to join here! >_<

And y'know, I'm playing both SM & osu!

P.S: Plz check my beatmaps ^_^;;;
fdtoonsman
I like Osu! because it's more satisfying and because you hear a sound when you hit a beat. It's also more simple in a sense. Also the small, but warmhearted community here keeps me coming back.
Detective Tuesday

Mogsworth wrote:

Yes, it is. Using double setup is cheating. Using more than 4 keys is cheating. Double index, as you call it, is 8.
Double index is using two index fingers on the same 4 keys. I guess he figured that's what you were referring to when you said "double setup".

In that case... Double misunderstanding. You're both right.
Mogsy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Xiao_old

Mogsworth wrote:

Yes they are, AAA'ing PSMO and TLOM isn't much of a feat anymore.

Hell, Paranoia Hades is probably an easy SDG.
SoupNBread
Am I the only one around here who plays index without their index fingers(I use my middle fingers)? I just prefer it for runs.... the hardest files I play are 16 pad files anyway and they generally are more stamina style than tech style :B

Download: M2U - Blythe (Ari-chan) [Kiddo].osu
Zatoichi
I've never understood the point of Stepmania. I mean, isn't the whole POINT of DDR/ITG to use your feet?

Well, I guess you could always just buy a USB mat.

Speaking of DDR, would it be a bad idea to map Pluto or its remix or VerTex^2 or any other boss songs that are made of spite and hatred for the player for osu!?
Kiyobi_old

Zatoichi wrote:

I've never understood the point of Stepmania. I mean, isn't the whole POINT of DDR/ITG to use your feet?
Ever played a simfile that is totally designed for keyboard? Yeeah.
Xiao_old

Zatoichi wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7QjnJhGTo

no
Zatoichi
I meant that in the sense of...gah. Nevermind.

I guess I could see how Stepmania is better. I mean, it takes about 3 years to get good at DDR/ITG (by good I mean be able to FC a boss song on the hardest difficulty), while it would take about all of two to three months to do the same with your fingers.

IIDX on the other hand...
Lilith_old
i've been playing this game since 2003.. i play with arrow keys ;)

but now, we working in made a ez2dancer-step (ez2step).. that drains my time :cry:

but its funny...

its better to play with a controller.. stepmania dont allow press 4 keys at the same time... try to play romeo and juli8 in the hardest level..

(somebody tried Ez2dj???) :)
xerxes_oli
i found while looking for rhythm games to day and i have to say that this game sux......reallly badd. i found it annoying after 2 minutes of gameplay so i deleted it right after i downloaded it. i was dissapointed i thought it would addicting like osu but it wasnt. (plus the homepage was really messy and hard to look for songs and crap), right now im soooo thankful for peppys decisions to keep stuff nice and clean :D
Detective Tuesday

xerxes_oli wrote:

i found while looking for rhythm games to day and i have to say that this game sux......reallly badd. i found it annoying after 2 minutes of gameplay so i deleted it right after i downloaded it.
Way to elaborate. What do you find 'annoying' about the gameplay? All you've said is that you had trouble finding songs, in which case all you would have to do would be ask anyone in this thread where they get theirs from. That's not even a gameplay issue, though.

If you're gonna say that the gameplay is annoying, explain exactly what it is that annoys you. A statement as vague as the one quoted isn't warranted without more details.
Topic Starter
Dave001
Reviving dead Topic - Wow has it already been 3 years since this talk started :o

Anyway i think that if you're going to play a game which is a simulator of dance dance revolution play it with a pad and not a keyboard.

I only play keyboard if i know it's a song that is literally spamming with notes
Rantai
Just use both, one at a time of course.

At least that's what I do.
SXn-
This game is one of my favorite. A simple to learn and hard to master game.
Btw I use C666 and C730 with Reverse and playing around 12-22. 22 is the hardest thing I can pass =x
Marifune-kun
i play it and i know it from my friend
show more