forum

Cursor Tracing Program (osu!trace)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Hi guys,

I've been playing around with a program that records cursor movement mainly for something additional on screen during a stream. Helps show the beatmap's flow, can be used for comparisons, etc.

It's in VB, so until I learn a good amount of Java, I need to restrict it to PC only. Sorry Mac users :cry:

There's a link on my profile, but I'll put it here as well. There is some help/readme information -- recommend reading.

A sample video of it in action is here: http://www.twitch.tv/hedonicknight/c/6158193. This was my stream from 2/19/2015.

Newer sample of the tracer here: http://www.twitch.tv/hedonicknight/c/6199063. This was my stream from 2/24/2015.

Version updates and download link
2/17/2015 => v1.0.1.2 UPDATED ALPHA released.
2/19/2015 => v1.1.0.0 UPDATED STABLE released.
2/23/2015 => v1.2.0.0 UPDATED STABLE released.
2/25/2015 => No program changes. Migrated files to Google Drive from Microsoft OneDrive. Download link re enabled above.
3/3/2015 => v.1.3.0.0 UPDATED STABLE released.
3/4/2015 => v1.3.1.0 UPDATED STABLE released.
3/10/2015 => v1.3.2.1 UPDATED STABLE release. Please redownload.
Added in saving of length (sorry about that) and got a much better icon made by my own brother (who doesn't have an osu! link so sadly that's all the credit I can give for now). Also now allows for disabling of those message boxes on startup.
EDIT: 2/23/2015 (yes, I'm from the US):

Being in IT myself, I should probably make this information visible in places other than just the readme.... There's an issue with Windows that causes Mouse Acceleration to improperly align the cursor in the window in relation to the one in osu!. If you are a mouse player and have mouse acceleration OFF in osu! (meaning raw input is on), you'll experience this problem. Tablets, not so much.

I completed a registry fix on my machine to avoid this, but you may not need to do this. I've attached a file next to the tracing program that's a mouse recorder. If you open it (it's command line) and press 'A', it disables the Control Panel option 'Enhance Pointer Precision' or 'EnPtPr.' I can confirm that WITH the registry edit, it fixes this completely (and when you close the command window, it reverts back to normal) but I don't know if it does without it. If anyone would be willing to test that for me (download BOTH programs, helpful if you have 2+ monitors, run both at the same time, press A in the command window, and see if the cursors comparatively line up), I'd be VERY grateful ;)

Tablet players, you won't be affected by this because of the way Windows handles tablets. This is a mouse issue only.
Renevant
It looks like your drawing animals with connect the dots. :D

The color of the box seems pretty out of place based on your twitch stream.
It might be better to make the background of the box transparent/black so that it doesn't stick out so much.
Since most people play on full background dim, you could make the colors be more fitting to that.
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Yeah, I was working with colors... maybe I'll do a white border with a black background, that might be better. ;)

What I'll probably end up doing is adding in an option to customize all colors, but for the time being I'll just make it black or an option for transparency... One of the two will work!

Thanks for taking a look :)
Sakisan
I always thought it'd be a good idea to have this feature in the replay/live spectate. But I pictured it on the map itself, not in a separate window. I guess it's also fun to see that on a stream. Good job :)
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Yeah, that was my initial motivation, and I guess, as time goes on, I'll eventually be able to make a full screen overlay version... though I'm not sure if it'd work live (it'd definitely work on streams).

I'll keep plunking away at it -- again, thanks for the look at it!
Gumpy
I've though about something like this for ages.
Good Job
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Aww, thanks guys :oops:

Releasing an update later today that allows for a black background, and if Gimp decides to start cooperating, a transparent background by recommendation 8-)

Let me know what you think!
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Being in IT myself, I should probably make this information visible in places other than just the readme.... There's an issue with Windows that causes Mouse Acceleration to improperly align the cursor in the window in relation to the one in osu!. If you are a mouse player and have mouse acceleration OFF in osu! (meaning raw input is on), you'll experience this problem. Tablets, not so much.

I completed a registry fix on my machine to avoid this, but you may not need to do this. I've attached a file next to the tracing program that's a mouse recorder. If you open it (it's command line) and press 'A', it disables the Control Panel option 'Enhance Pointer Precision' or 'EnPtPr.' I can confirm that WITH the registry edit, it fixes this completely (and when you close the command window, it reverts back to normal) but I don't know if it does without it. If anyone would be willing to test that for me (download BOTH programs, helpful if you have 2+ monitors, run both at the same time, press A in the command window, start playing a song in osu! and see if the cursors comparatively line up), I'd be VERY grateful ;)

Tablet players, you won't be affected by this because of the way Windows handles tablets. This is a mouse issue only.

Added this to main post as well.
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Sorry, thread spam -- Update released, please redownload!!

v1.2.0.0 UPDATED STABLE released. Please redownload at the first post.
Took out colored background, added in black background with different tracing colors, added in transparency compatibility (yeah, it was pretty crazy), rearranged buttons, working on custom button configuration. It's in the code, but disabled until I get it working.
Consciously
Nice! like me!
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
OneDrive appears to be down... will be migrating files to Google Drive momentarily, while I figure out whether/if I want to push this from my machine/server.

I'm still myself trying to figure out how to get OBS to capture live windows with alpha in them. Will reply when I figure it out (soon TM).

All links broken for probably the next 30 minutes, unless its my machine. Hang tight!

Download links fixed, files migrated. Sorry about that!
Topic Starter
HedonicKnight
Partial Update.

Version number has not changed. Slight modifications, but tons of non-finished stuff. Some message boxes appearing when they shouldn't, presets for controls no longer work. Will update this post and main post when I'm finished.

Oh, should probably mention... CUSTOM CONFIGURATIONS NOW WORK 8-)

EDIT: Version 1.3.0.0 released, check the notes above!
DeletedUser_4329079
This is quite cool
Rake
For customization of keys you can't use arrow keys