forum

Does the mouse really matter?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Offended
Uhm, hi. So I'm looking for a new mouse, but I'm worried if the new mouse will affect my gameplay. I've been doing research, a little too much research. I want a cheap/not too expensive mouse with good quality, but does the quality really matter? I mean, does the quality of mice affect the gameplay that much?

This thread isn't really about requesting mouses, I just want to know if I should buy an approved mouse, or just a mouse I'm comfortable with. Sorry if this thread has no real purpose or if it's in the wrong sub forum, my apologizes.
Saphirshroom
Wireless is at a disadvantage - mostly because they have delay unless they're well made. And good quality - by which I mean a good wireless connector - of course comes with a price. If you have the money and find wireless more comfortable, wireless is fine too.
And it really depends what you mean with "quality". The general consensus seems to be that you should get an optical mouse for osu.
El Koko
You don't need the best of the best to play but at least you should go for an optical and wired mouse. I think the cheapest was/is the microsoft wheel mouse or something like that. I don't really know.
E m i
Obviously Muscle Memory™ can only be developed on G&R approved mouses, so consult your purchase with us 8-)
cheezstik
Wireless shouldn't be too bad in most cases, if you are comfortable enough with your mouse, then keep using it, it is probably good enough, why waste money upgrading your mouse?

Some possible improvements could instead be made by reducing your DPI if you are using a crazy high sensitivity, and turning off mouse acceleration if it isn't already.
ZenithPhantasm
Logitech G100S. Lightweight mouse with a familiar shape and a flawless sensor with no acceleration or prediction and it will only set you back ~20-25$.
zwoots
Yes mouse is very important. Best mouse is flat mouse with detachable stick that tells cursor where to go.
Raniemi
I've tried a couple of mouses and yea, the mouse does matter.

Some mouses have a better sensor than others and having
a good sensor helps you build better muscle memory.

Switching to a better mouse early would help you tremendously.
Playing with a random cheap mouse actually has a wall to how
good you can become because the tracking is off when you do bigger jumps later on.

I wish I had switched to a good mouse right when I started playing :|
ZenithPhantasm

Raniemi wrote:

I've tried a couple of mouses and yea, the mouse does matter.

Some mouses have a better sensor than others and having
a good sensor helps you build better muscle memory.

Switching to a better mouse early would help you tremendously.
Playing with a random cheap mouse actually has a wall to how
good you can become because the tracking is off when you do bigger jumps later on.

I wish I had switched to a good mouse right when I started playing :|
Lets not forget max tracking speeds too. I can easily cause a lesser default hp mouse to malfunction by playing jump maps.
Yakuyan
The mouse sure does matter, but it's not like you will cry to yourself at night because of it. I suggest you stick to what you have for a little bit, and when you save up, buy a GOOD mouse if you still want to play with one.
Topic Starter
Offended
Soo, any suggestions?
ZenithPhantasm

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Logitech G100S. Lightweight mouse with a familiar shape and a flawless sensor with no acceleration or prediction and it will only set you back ~20-25$.
Topic Starter
Offended
I might buy the G100s when I get money. Thanks.
AmaiHachimitsu
If you're really cash-strapped, go for MS Wheel Mouse Optical

Pros:
Best mouse ever below 20$ (10$ is already quite much for it) and outperforming a load of 50$ mice
Cons:
one DPI setting (400 dpi)
no rubber coating (it's a mouse designed for office, but with awesome sensor)
low perfect control speed, but you won't need it unless you become me. If you still want to enhance the perfect control speed, you can overclock the USB rate.
ZenithPhantasm

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

If you're really cash-strapped, go for MS Wheel Mouse Optical

Pros:
Best mouse ever below 20$ (10$ is already quite much for it) and outperforming a load of 50$ mice
Cons:
one DPI setting (400 dpi)
no rubber coating (it's a mouse designed for office, but with awesome sensor)
low perfect control speed, but you won't need it unless you become me. If you still want to enhance the perfect control speed, you can overclock the USB rate.
It only outperforms the 50$ mice at 400 dpi :/
Sh0keR
A mouse you are comfortable with, is much better than any other mouse.
AmaiHachimitsu

Sh0keR wrote:

hahahahaha
ZenithPhantasm

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Sh0keR wrote:

hahahahaha
Behold my G302 Fugly Duck mouse! Modded for lower weight and comfort!
insolus
Yes, it's important to get a mouse with a good sensor and no acceleration. There's tons of lists of mice fitting this criteria and they can generally be found for cheap. I got my Zowie on cyber monday sale for $20 shipped

Avoid wireless.
Mahogany
I happen to have this "Mouse Tier list" bookmarked. I have absolutely no idea when I found this, why I found this, or where I found this, nor do I have any idea if it's accurate at all, but hopefully it can help you somewhat. (Don't quote me on any of this, I don't use a gaming mouse. Literally just the only wired one I could find at PC world, lol.)

FieryLight

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Sh0keR wrote:

hahahahaha
SiLviA's Elecom M-PGURBK(M-PGURWH) worked for him...
AmaiHachimitsu

FieryLight wrote:

SiLviA's Elecom M-PGURBK(M-PGURWH) worked for him...
I doubt he tried any other mice. Also 90% of SiLviA's scores are reading/clicking-impressive, not aim impressive. Gokuri's aim precision is far beyond SiLviA's.
What is more, the elecom pop grast mouse is of universal shape, which will be comfortable(and high perf) for virtually anyone, like MS WMO.

What I'm scrutinizing is that the mouse being JUST comfortable to hold does not guarantee you the best playing experience and performance. I am pretty sure that I used to hold my mouse "comfortably" few years ago and osu! caused me to unconsciously change my grip over time. It's not the mouse that should be comfortable for you, it's you who has to MAKE it comfortable for YOUR TASK (in this case osu!)
Wilchq
If you have enough money, you can buy Roccat Savu mouse. I'm using this mouse about year, and it really helped me in "advanced gaming". I was using wireless mouse before Savu, and that was the biggest mistake ever. But if you don't mind playing on 400 dpi, buy WMO ofc.
Baan
tbh, any mouse is a good mouse when you're used to it. I have a steelseries rival which is a good, durable mouse but hard to click. And because i am a osu clicker it got tough for me but I got used to it :)
Wilchq

Baan wrote:

tbh, any mouse is a good mouse when you're used to it. I have a steelseries rival which is a good, durable mouse but hard to click. And because i am a osu clicker it got tough for me but I got used to it :)
Bulls*it. Wireless mouses are the worst stuff you can use in osu! Also try to play osu! with mouse which you can find in work or school (random stuff from marketplace). Good luck.
Kunino Sagiri
Well I use a 2.5$ nameless wired mouse, has 96k playcount, is just rank 11k and still haven't passed airman even once (even if I can pass some AR11s)

you judge if mouse doesn't matter
buny
doomsday was (still is) a top a player when he used to have a shitty old mouse

so yeah, not very necessary to have a gaming mouse
AmaiHachimitsu

buny wrote:

Tell me more about his super-aim scores in 2009.
I'm disappointed that people don't realize that the only sphere in which mouse and tablet differ is aiming, nothing more.

You are all correct, you don't need a gaming mouse to be good

But you won't get any better than good with a crappy mouse.
Sh0keR

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

buny wrote:

Tell me more about his super-aim scores in 2009.
I'm disappointed that people don't realize that the only sphere in which mouse and tablet differ is aiming, nothing more.

You are all correct, you don't need a gaming mouse to be good

But you won't get any better than good with a crappy mouse.
What is the point of getting better than good if you don't aim to be a pro.
if you really want to be a pro just buy tablet and use touch screen, you don't even need to think about a mouse
show more