forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
PyaKura
Yeah it happens to me every 2 months or so, I start beating most of my highscores and it ends up resulting in a fair bit of improvement. It happens. Though the more you improve the less you'll be experiencing those skill boosts moments. As a newbie it used to happen every few days haha.
Bobbias

Drace wrote:

Yeah that's completely normal. Normally to me when that happens, I've been previously stuck at a "skill wall" and those moments indicates I've broken through and will start improving steadily again until the next one ^^
Exactly the same here. Haven't had one of those days in ages though :<
ikzune
is it just me who found out i can warmup really quick by playing a mix between osu standard and mania and then improve faster also?
Bobbias
laishiou confirmed for weird.

But seriously, I know that wouldn't work for me.
Grassgrow

laishiou wrote:

is it just me who found out i can warmup really quick by playing a mix between osu standard and mania and then improve faster also?
I actually slightly improve in osu standard jump-heavy songs when i spent some time playing O2jam or 7k mania, but not the other way around unfortunately >:(
Starry-

laishiou wrote:

Not at all for me :x and I'd consider myself decent at standard.. :(
lenpai
In my case I get slightly better, especially in accuracy, after mapping/charting something for a while.
Grassgrow
When you guys play 7K songs, and you have a "(space) J" chord, you usually press it with your thumb and your pointer finger. But what if it's a "F (space)" chord, do you still use the same thumb, or do you switch thumbs depending on the other notes in that chord? I always use the same thumb and i've recently thought about this, if anyone interchanges thumbs depending on the notes.
PyaKura
I personally never ever used my other thumb for the spacebar no matter what.
Bobbias
Most players use the thumb on their dominant hand (right thumb if right handed, left thumb if left handed). There are a few people who play alternating thumbs, but it's pretty rare.

Also, instead of referring to keys by whatever key you're using, refer to them by their column number. For example, f+space would be 34, and space+j would be 45.

Using this system:

S = 1, D = 2, F = 3, Space = 4, J = 5, K = 6, L = 7

If you want to refer to a pattern rather than a single chord such as S+D then D+F after, that would be 12/23, using the slash to separate the chords.
Grassgrow

Bobbias wrote:

Most players use the thumb on their dominant hand (right thumb if right handed, left thumb if left handed). There are a few people who play alternating thumbs, but it's pretty rare.

Also, instead of referring to keys by whatever key you're using, refer to them by their column number. For example, f+space would be 34, and space+j would be 45.

Using this system:

S = 1, D = 2, F = 3, Space = 4, J = 5, K = 6, L = 7

If you want to refer to a pattern rather than a single chord such as S+D then D+F after, that would be 12/23, using the slash to separate the chords.

That makes sense, thank you! I'll use that in the future now! :)
Bobbias
Makes it easy to talk about patterns in any key mode without caring what keys everyone actually uses.
Combo Breaker
So i know this guide is supposed to help you get better, but how? I mean do I play hard songs on half time constantly until i CAN play it without? Or should I grind a song that is slightly challenging to me but I can complete?

On a side note, I'm having trouble reading and getting used to combinations of holds + short notes. I can read lots of shorts and lots of long notes individually pretty easily but i suck absolute crap when they're combined. Anyone have a good beatmap to practice and get over this?
Tristan97
Mixing noodles with regular hits is challenging for everyone, I can say from personal experience it requires a lot of concentration.

At your level, I'd suggest playing Advanced level 4k charts with holds in them.
Bobbias

Combo Breaker wrote:

So i know this guide is supposed to help you get better, but how? I mean do I play hard songs on half time constantly until i CAN play it without? Or should I grind a song that is slightly challenging to me but I can complete?

On a side note, I'm having trouble reading and getting used to combinations of holds + short notes. I can read lots of shorts and lots of long notes individually pretty easily but i suck absolute crap when they're combined. Anyone have a good beatmap to practice and get over this?
It always takes a while to get that down. Don't grind plays on maps just to pass a specific map or 2, if you stop playing those maps so often you will usually lose the ability to pass them.

Try to find as many maps as you can that have the kind of patterns that give you trouble and play all of them. The less often you play each map, the better. By doing this you will get used to many different kinds patterns instead of only the patterns in one or 2 songs. If you can almost pass something, just slap nofail on and play it that way, and when the part that kills you comes up, just try as hard as you can to get as much of it as you can. Use random as well. The less often you see the same exact patterns, the better. This trains you to sightread patterns, instead of relying on playing a song a few times to learn the patterns before you can play your best, you can play your best right away, first try.

It will feel slower at first, but this kind of practice gives you long lasting skill increase.
ikzune
tbh grinding maps that sound fun is alright, practising it once or twice everytime you play to that degree is alright if its something you are working to be better in but never keep playing the song over and over you are just going to repeat the same mistakes you gain more consistency by taking a break and working on other maps forgetting the mistakes you made
Leica
I don't really get the visual tune thing. I played a easy song 3 times with the sound off and the hidden mod on. I kind of see a pattern of a sort, but I'm not really sure where the xF.ini file is though... :?
iJXL

Shintsuka wrote:

I don't really get the visual tune thing. I played a easy song 3 times with the sound off and the hidden mod on. I kind of see a pattern of a sort, but I'm not really sure where the xF.ini file is though... :?
Leica

iJXL wrote:

Shintsuka wrote:

AH! So that's what it was! Thank you so much! :oops:
iJXL
You're welcome! I'm glad I was able to help :)
Silver Sky

iJXL wrote:

Shintsuka wrote:

FYI the xK.ini config has been moved to skin.ini , the settings per keymode will be there inside the skin.ini
So if you want to edit xK.ini, edit the one that's in the skin.ini instead :D

CMIIW
ikzune
yeh um some if not all edits now to the k.inis arent working what you do is delete the inis and load up osu the key ones that is and it should create a skin.ini for u to edit
iJXL
Oh yes, I forgot about that. Thank you! :)
kidlat020

WorldsWorst wrote:

Hey, I just read through this whole thread to see if anybody asked the same thing I was gonna ask, but I didn't seem to find anything like that, just the opposite.

Basically, this happened to me four or five times during my osu career (I play mania for about nine months now). In this rare instance, I get into these...states of mind and ability that I can beat songs that are MUCH harder than my usual skill cap and I get crazily better scores on my high scores if I play all my favorite songs when I get into that state.
Like, an example when I first had that...at that time my skill cap was that HD difficulty of Megistune 4k, and I couldn't even play MX diff without failing, but that one time where I got into the state, i FCed high scores on so many songs and got an A score on the Megistune MX difficulty I couldn't usually even pass!!!

On one side, I feel bad when I get into these states, because I literally rape al much high scores and the next day when that "state" ends, I'm back to my old skillcap and I feel like I don't deserve those newly obtained high scores

I should also mention that I was NOT under the influence of any drugs while in the states, they come completely random (same sleeping pattern, lifestyle, everything's the same)
Can anybody relate to this? I feel frustrated because of this because I play so well when it happens..and when it ends I'm just back to being at my usual skillcap..
this never came into my entire o2jam career. but that's probably just me instantly recognizing that "weird" feeling you got. Or I haven't reached your dilemma yet. because I'm still failing at Megitsune MX!!!!

edit: actually I passed. 81% accuracy T______T

honestly I don't even know myself what my "bottleneck" is. But if I have to guess, its my forearms hurting at bursts. my limit is 3.7 - 4.2 stars difficulty.
Kinac
I have little problem right now. I took a break from O!m for about 2 weeks and now all my skill is gone. I can barely get B on maps I could easily A on. I get 550k on maps I could get 750k on. I can't read patterns any more. Right now I play as good as I played five months ago. It's really frustrating. What should I do other than playing more?
ovnz
It took me a little time to get used to mania again after taking a break personally. Play as you usually play during like one week, you should get your skill back.
Topic Starter
Drace
Yeah. If you lost skill from a break, aka became "rusty", you'll have some re-training to do plain and simple. But at least you can assure yourself that the time span between your current level and the level you were will most likely be shorter than the first time around.

Breaks are also great for improving, once you reach the level you were at again, most the time you'll find yourself keeping that same improvement rate and improve well beyond that point. ^^

So yeah, I'm not aware of any magic tricks to give skills back... If you really want it back you'll have to work for it :p
Bobbias

Drace wrote:

Yeah. If you lost skill from a break, aka became "rusty", you'll have some re-training to do plain and simple. But at least you can assure yourself that the time span between your current level and the level you were will most likely be shorter than the first time around.

Breaks are also great for improving, once you reach the level you were at again, most the time you'll find yourself keeping that same improvement and improve well beyond that point. ^^

So yeah, I'm not aware of any magic tricks to give skills back... If you really want it back you'll have to work for it :p
Yep, same experience here. Sometimes you can get lucky and come back from a break as good as you were before, but most times you come back rusty and have to spend a while regaining (and then passing) your old skill.
Silver Sky
Hi guys, I just want to know if there's a way to train finger speed. Because I can't stream fast in 4K (above 200 bpm). I can read the pattern but my fingers aren't fast enough to play it properly. I usually get around 85% on these songs, should I keep on pushing myself or is it better to start on lower bpm songs. Thank you :)
Topic Starter
Drace
Hm I've never really ran into finger speed problems. Seemed like my finger speed increased at the same rate as my reading did. Though if I were to recommend something I'd say play stuff way above your level (spam tier) here in there, it's what I used to do for stamina. Might show results for finger speed too.
varkhall
Hello, great guide, thanks a lot for creating it, I will come back here often! :) I'm new to osu!mania (like 1k retries), so I've got a question to you guys - is there any kind of exercise that can help me with my finger independence? (excluding playing ofc c: ) Also... I've got a problem with this pattern - any tips/good beatmaps to train it? :)
ovnz
Train your finger independence before trying to learn patterns. There isn't really any tips to train any pattern btw, just play it, that's all.
gintoki147
Guys, I guess it's been more than 3 months that I'm stuck at 2~3 star 7k maps and can't improve.
I think I'm ok at normal notes patterns. I can pass Intersect Thunderbolt [Hard] without too much effort, but when it comes to LN "heavy" maps such as Wake up!, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi and Fight 4 Real... I fail miserably. I can't even get more than 85% accuracy without my brain exploding in the process. lol

I know there's not much I can do besides playing more, but are LNs supposed to be this hard?
edisk

gintoki147 wrote:

Guys, I guess it's been more than 3 months that I'm stuck at 2~3 star 7k maps and can't improve.
I think I'm ok at normal notes patterns. I can pass Intersect Thunderbolt [Hard] without too much effort, but when it comes to LN "heavy" maps such as Wake up!, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi and Fight 4 Real... I fail miserably. I can't even get more than 85% accuracy without my brain exploding in the process. lol

I know there's not much I can do besides playing more, but are LNs supposed to be this hard?
Play more LN heavy maps. If you still find LNs hard, play even more LN heavy maps.
lenpai

gintoki147 wrote:

The difficulty of reading LNs vary from people to people. As a BMS + gracenote + burst heavy + 1000 notes per second+ player, learning LNs personally was a painstalking process (took me 4 months to actually be able to read LNs like Sister's Noise Lv. 42 with a bad accuracy) unlike those who played o2jam. Don't worry, you'll get to the point where reading LNs are easier than they are for you as of the moment.
gintoki147

edisk wrote:

Play more LN heavy maps. If you still find LNs hard, play even more LN heavy maps.
Sometimes the obvious answer is the one we need the most.
It's true that I've been avoiding LN maps hoping to magically do better the next time I play them, so I decided to focus on them for the time being. Thanks. :p

Lenfried- wrote:

The difficulty of reading LNs vary from people to people. As a BMS + gracenote + burst heavy + 1000 notes per second+ player, learning LNs personally was a painstalking process (took me 4 months to actually be able to read LNs like Sister's Noise Lv. 42 with a bad accuracy) unlike those who played o2jam. Don't worry, you'll get to the point where reading LNs are easier than they are for you as of the moment.
Glad to hear that.
I'll do my best then. Today I played lots of LN maps and it seems that I'm getting a little better already...
PC Matic
Thanks
This really helped me and others I really appreciate this. :)
gintoki147
Just thought I'd share with you guys how I'm doing.

Remember the maps I was struggling to pass before? Now I'm able to score at least 90% at them.
What I've been doing:
  1. Playing a lot of mania 7k LN heavy maps
  2. Playing some converts from o2jam. I think many of them are weird, but I'm doing my best to play them right. @_@
  3. Playing other rhythm games as well
  4. Trying to play 4k inversed maps with this tool (with the lite option obviously), as seen in this video I recorded:

It would be best to do it in 7k maps, but my keyboard can't handle more than 6 key presses at once and there aren't many 6k maps in mania, so I guess I don't have many choices other than doing it in 4k or buying a better keyboard.
tl;dr; I'm playing a lot

Still, there are 3 maps that still seem to be way too hard for me, but I feel like I'll be able to pass them after 2 more months of training. lol
Sawano Hiroyuki - Blowin'
ZAQ - VOICE (TV Size)
T.M.Revolution x Nana Mizuki - Preserved Roses (TV-Size)

I'm much better, definitely, but it's still not enough.
Oh, well, I'm having fun.
edisk

gintoki147 wrote:

It would be best to do it in 7k maps, but my keyboard can't handle more than 6 key presses at once and there aren't many 6k maps in mania, so I guess I don't have many choices other than doing it in 4k or buying a better keyboard.[/list]

I'm much better, definitely, but it's still not enough.
Oh, well, I'm having fun.
Good to know you're having fun. Btw there are many maps out there with 6presses or less at once for 7k.
I think these has 6 or less for example.
Aoi Eir - Niji no Oto
nano.Ripe - Real World (TV Size)
gintoki147
Oh, yes. I'm a 7k player mostly.
When I said that I was referring to LN inversed maps made with this tool: t/191952 :D
show more