forum

.NET open sourced, any chance of native Mac Osu! port?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
saxtor
A few months ago I read that Microsoft decided to open-source .NET, allowing it to be natively ported to Mac OS X and Linux. Seeing as how Osu! was written in C# with the .NET framework, is there any chance of seeing a native port of Osu! finally making its way to Mac? I've done a bit of coding in my lifetime (funnily enough some of it with VB.NET). I'm sure Peppy is a busy guy, but I was wondering if there's been any plans for a native port in light of this news or if it's even possible yet.
Scorpiour
.net is open source but not DirectX...

it is really could be a chance for osu to generate native mac version but still a big project
Topic Starter
saxtor
indeed, DirectX isn't open source, but Osu does have an OpenGL option and I'm highly certain I've seen plenty of Mac apps run OpenGL.
MillhioreF
The main priority right now is getting osu! open source, which will then allow anyone proficient in porting to help out in that regard.

We're also trying to get rid of DirectX, but there's lots of work to go there too (OpenGL needs to run as well or better first, which it doesn't yet on all computers)
AGRX

MillhioreF wrote:

The main priority right now is getting osu! open source, which will then allow anyone proficient in porting to help out in that regard.

We're also trying to get rid of DirectX, but there's lots of work to go there too (OpenGL needs to run as well or better first, which it doesn't yet on all computers)
I know its annoying question, but how long it may take to get rid of directx?
Howl

Agrrox wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

I know its annoying question, but how long it may take to get rid of directx?
You won't see osu! without DirectX, but your kids will love it.
- Marco -

Howl wrote:

You won't see osu! without DirectX, but your kids will love it.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/152078 here's a song for this feeling