forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tidek
I can beat every my old spam/not spam score (around 3months) every try, learn to play instead of spam lol.
Kamikaze

Tidek wrote:

I can beat every my old spam/not spam score (around 3months) every try, learn to play instead of spam lol.
To be honest, if it wasn't for kind-of broken o!m mechanics and my attitude of clearing hard stuff>getting good accuracy, it would probably be easier for me to do so. Still, lucky scores happen and it's not easy to beat them.
Bobbias

Tidek wrote:

Not everyone learns at the same pace. I've been playing for over a decade, and there are plenty of players with far less time who are far better than me. So just because you can beat your old scores in some amount of time doesn't mean anything for anyone else.
kidlat020
it doesn't disprove anything either. because, records say that you've improved even though you yourself don't feel it is so.

even if its a lucky run.
Kamikaze
"I did a fluke 700k run on that map and I won't be able to beat it in 3 months, but I've improved"
So you're saying that lucky run shows our true skill and then we go backwards?

kidlat020 wrote:

it doesn't disprove anything either. because, records say that you've improved even though you yourself don't feel it is so.
"I've run 100m in 11 seconds once, but now I'm running it in 15 seconds. Still, I'm an olympic class runner."
Well in o!m lucky spams don't show ANYTHING. You can literally spam a map to 700k without even looking. If you call that an improvement, then I'm outta here.
kidlat020
"I've run 100m in 11 seconds once, but now I'm running it in 15 seconds. Still, I'm an olympic class runner."
yeah sure. who's to prove (or disprove) that said athlete ate too much sugar or carbs the next day that would interfere with his performance?

or that he wasn't really "lucky" but actually in top shape (correct sugar intake and carbs)?

this doesn't apply to mania only. even std and taiko would.

seriously, if you guys think practicing is the only factor playing here, then I'm outta here.
Vuelo Eluko
good emotional and physical health plays an important role in anything, but for something like osu, i dont see how anything beyond keeping away from harmful illegal drugs and eating/sleeping right would affect your performance positively [aside from practicing].
kidlat020
I'm overweight (despite being 3k rank) so I'd know that even the smallest excess of fat in my fingers is interfering with my hitting the keys.

anything that's double note hit is my greatest enemy. jackhammers are my death.

#healthissues
Bobbias
Overall health will certainly help. It's well known that a healthy body will have a positive effect on the brain, and that things like eating breakfast can have a positive effect on outcomes later that day. However, I have a feeling that these factors are very small, and have more of a cumulative effect than any immediate effect on any specific day.

I currently have a score on https://osu.ppy.sh/s/239943 which is 100k higher than my other scores (roughly 9% accuracy above my average score). It will likely take me months before any one of my average scores will match that level. It's certainly possible that I could beat that score next time I play that map, but the chances are extremely small.

Unless you're entozer, everyone finds jackhammers hard.
lenpai
*Cough Jxyden 2000 note per minute 1/8 + 1/16 jack master (song is plasma strike btw, its an Ftb chart/map)

Seriously though practice is still what matters most. What dictates the skill improvement rate of a player depends in the type of charts he plays (pattern specific, ranked, or comfort zone stuff) + (or times, its up to the reader) his actual talent or learning speed.

And about best plays, they DO NOT always (sightreads taken into consideration) show a player's actual skill level. It just shows his potential and that improvement is possible.

Overall body condition does help. Boredom, sleepiness, hunger, weak body, and any oher impediment does affect a players gameplay. The magnitude varies from player to player. Same goes for positive conditions.
Reiko
Pls fix this!This map gives more pp with 8k mod then the original one on 7k 8k-> http://puu.sh/enkVN/ba74a51de6.png ( pp amount http://puu.sh/enlmH/0d4700d736.png ) 7k -> http://puu.sh/enkYj/f12e732f9f.png ( pp amount http://puu.sh/enlzN/40a08c1f90.png )
Tristan97
^ Is that a bug?

If so, please remove it as quickly as possible or better yet just make auto-converts unrankable

If not, then there needs each difficulty of each converted beatmap needs to be treated as a separate entity depending on key-mod, which would be difficult to implent so just unrank the auto-converts please.
Reiko

Tristan97 wrote:

^ Is that a bug?

If so, please remove it as quickly as possible or better yet just make auto-converts unrankable

If not, then there needs each difficulty of each converted beatmap needs to be treated as a separate entity depending on key-mod, which would be difficult to implent so just unrank the auto-converts please.
nope it isnt this map on 8k has 6,XX* and on 7k it has 4,XX* and the pp ranking depends on how much * the map has so the 8k version is obviously more pp worth then the 7k version
Fullerene-
Pipe Dream's 8K autoconvert is rated a lot higher than the 7k because it has this

not really a bug, but the way hitsounds are converted
Tristan97
I get that, it's just that if Pipe Dream's 7k 4.21 difficulty should be treated as a separate map from the 8k 6.xx star difficulty. None of this 'you'll get however many pp the score you just got multiplied by 0.90 would have been worth on the 7k chart' for somebody that manages the scratches amazingly and gets an S on the 8k map.

(If they are going to worth pp)
Reiko

Tristan97 wrote:

I get that, it's just that if Pipe Dream's 7k 4.21 difficulty should be treated as a separate map from the 8k 6.xx star difficulty. None of this 'you'll get however many pp the score you just got multiplied by 0.90 would have been worth on the 7k chart' for somebody that manages the scratches amazingly and gets an S on the 8k map.

(If they are going to worth pp)
but how should some1 with nearly 1kk go for the 8k version? u know the max you can get is 900k
Tristan97
^That's my point. If getting a perfect score on the 'original autoconverted difficulty' of 7 keys granted full pp, then why shouldn't getting straight 320s be worth the full pp of the 8k difficulty? Just because it's not the 'naturally converted number of keys'?

They are autoconverts, there shouldn't be such a discrepancy.
Kamikaze
They are autoconverts, they shouldn't give ANY pp
/thread
Bobbias

-Kamikaze- wrote:

They are autoconverts, they shouldn't give ANY pp
/thread
I considered saying this earlier. Then I realized it's not gonna change anything anyway. Common sense has lost this round.
Kamikaze
Well it's been said a lot of times before, so I just repeat it
Tristan97
I mean, as the mania community increases, we could see if eventually the BATs that are mania playres would make a case for making autoconverts not worth pp.

But there a a lot of things I think the osu!mania system could do to improve. I know this is the right place and it won't happen until we act, but for now, I feel as if waiting for the new keymodes to settle in is the best way to allow developments for the mode in general progress.

In the mean while, people should just continue to play the mode and map more ET difficultiesspreads.
Kamikaze
1) People ARE mapping ET spreads
2) Changes in PP system are inevitable and actually being worked on atm
3) We shouldn't have autoconverts giving pp at ANY stage of development
Topic Starter
Tom94
Per-mod highscores and thus pp are going to come. In fact they're already implemented and will be enabled as soon as the server is ready.
Tristan97
Thanks for bothering to respond Tom94. So does that mean that ET players can have both the Identity Part 4 non-mod 7k map and the Identity Part 4 modded 8k map show in their top ranks, each earning separate pp?

Or is it just the maximum pp earned from the highest pp awarding play on a map, modded or not?
Topic Starter
Tom94

Tristan97 wrote:

Thanks for bothering to respond Tom94. So does that mean that ET players can have both the Identity Part 4 non-mod 7k map and the Identity Part 4 modded 8k map show in their top ranks, each earning separate pp?

Or is it just the maximum pp earned from the highest pp awarding play on a map, modded or not?
The original intention is to only allow each difficulty to only give pp once - in that case for the score giving the most. I can see why it might be more desirable to allow multiple pp gains from the same map due to different keymods basically being different maps. Such an exception could possibly be made.
Blocko
What about DT plays? Would they be separate plays as well?
Staiain
So this means the return of DT + pp then ?
Bobbias

Blocko wrote:

I'd say DT deserves to be separate more than xk mods on autoconverts.
Tristan97

Bobbias wrote:

I'd say DT deserves to be separate more than xk mods on autoconverts.
I would agree with this
Tidek
What about HR?
Bobbias

Tidek wrote:

What about HR?
I suppose HR might also deserve it... Although I'd say less than DT. With HR, if you're capable of getting a good score (let's say 98-100%) on something, it's not going to be that much harder. The HP drain increase is nearly meaningless at that point, and the OD increase likely won't make a very large impact on your accuracy, although it will at least have more of an effect than the increased HP drain.
Topic Starter
Tom94

Staiain wrote:

So this means the return of DT + pp then ?
DT would start giving a pp bonus again, yes.

Blocko wrote:

No. It's the same map, just faster. Of course both your DT and nomod scores would be stored, but you couldn't get pp for nomod AND for DT at the same time. You'd only get pp for whichever of the 2 scores gives more pp. Just to clarify: Scores with different mods would all get stored, but only your most giving pp score of these would count towards your total pp.

Keymods are the only ones with which you will possibly be able to get pp multiple times from the same map.
Tristan97
Does this imply that things like country ranking and global ranking are going to decrease in relevancy due to the fact that some players will only play maps on dt, making the score they receive not reflective of the no-mod score? Could this be solved by changing the ranking system to going by pp earned (or creating an entirely new ranking for supporters or similar)?
Kamikaze

Tristan97 wrote:

Does this imply that things like country ranking and global ranking are going to decrease in relevancy due to the fact that some players will only play maps on dt, making the score they receive not reflective of the no-mod score? Could this be solved by changing the ranking system to going by pp earned (or creating an entirely new ranking for supporters or similar)?
I imagine this will be too complicated to implement, so nah.
btw we could totally have hr back as ranked mod
Tokiiwa
mod pp hype
Tidek
The main problem is that no1 will care about scoreboard on map when it will be implement. (unless DT will increase max possible points to for example 1,12mln but thats not going to happen i guess)
Kamikaze
You can just get a nomod highscore for places and dt score for pp, I see no problem here.
Also nobody really cares about scoreboard if they farm pp, it's just an addition
JimJoy
but isnt pp calculated only for passes with highest score?
Frustration

JimJoy wrote:

but isnt pp calculated only for passes with highest score?
Looks like not in this case

Tom94 wrote:

Just to clarify: Scores with different mods would all get stored, but only your most giving pp score of these would count towards your total pp.
Also, I'd like to ask if there is any ETA about the new DT pp calculations going live
Halogen-

Tom94 wrote:

Just to clarify: Scores with different mods would all get stored, but only your most giving pp score of these would count towards your total pp.

Keymods are the only ones with which you will possibly be able to get pp multiple times from the same map.
Requesting additional clarification for the first part of this post: I understand the part about all scores getting stored and the highest PP score of them count, but are the leaderboards exclusive from the performance point calculation?

What I mean is this: if someone were to get 1000 MAX and 20 300s on a song and have that score recorded, and then played the same song and got 980 MAX and 40 300s (improbable but possible on easier songs), would the first score be the one to show up on the leaderboards since it is a higher score?

As an aside, I'm slowly getting back into osu! again and I apologize if this question comes across as stupid.
show more