forum

[Rule Change] Higher storyboard image sizes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xgor

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Storyboard images must be at a reasonable size for their usage. For most uses (e.g. full-screen images), the maximum is 800x600 pixels for 4:3 aspect ratio images, although 640x480 is highly preferred. For widescreen mode (recommended) the maximum is 960x540 pixels for 16:9 aspect ratio images and 960x600 for 16:10 images. The editor is 640x480 at default, so there's really no need to use anything larger for full-screen purposes.
A practice among SBers is to downscale bigger images to make the storyboard at a higher resolution than 854/640x480 and then downscale it by script thus allowing higher resolution than osu!s default SB resolution.
This criteria however disallows this practice and it feels like an pity because right now 1366x768 and above has been the standard for some time now.

I would suggest to change it so images up to 1366x768 would be allowed for storyboards.

(Also another thing, right now 854x640 (Widescreen) is a more common resolution for new storyboards than 640x480 so I feel that the criteria needs to reflect that)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Changed version:
Storyboard images must be at a reasonable filesize and dimension for their usage. For most uses (e.g. full-screen images), the maximum is 1366x768 pixels. For widescreen storyboards 854x480 is preferred as it matches the internal resolution of the SB editor. For 4:3 aspect ratio images 640x480 is preferred.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 2: Rule has been changed to the above wording.
Okoratu
Reading the stuff the ranking criteria says about storyboarding looks a bit outdated overall anyway

I think it's been common practice to use bigger images and downscaling them in the end to maintain the original image quality and that stuff..
Topic Starter
Xgor
Yeah, the ranking critera is really outdated. It's really needs updating because due to this rule a lot of storyboards made noways is technically unrankible and if a BAT notice it the storyboarder gets forced to reduce the quality of the storyboard for no real good reason than "It's the rules".
Tari
At the moment, I have to agree.

Usually though, looking at the SB load is quite good to see if the SB is acceptable or not.

The image sizes are used as a nice guideline so it doesn't surpass that 5.0x SB load number, but now its really hard to do surpass the number anyways.
Irreversible
I'd actually even go over this. Having a high resolution picture helps not having a blurry piece of something in front of your screen, when you try to scale in the picture. I figured it out myself just recently; and it seems like a nice effect to have, yet, with a blurry picture, it doesn't work well.

DakeDekaane
I thought this rule was outdated as I popped some bubbles due the big size, but then I was told by other BATs and BATmanagers the size was fine.

More like it only needs an update, not sure tbh.
Topic Starter
Xgor

Tari wrote:

The image sizes are used as a nice guideline so it doesn't surpass that 5.0x SB load number, but now its really hard to do surpass the number anyways.
The thing is that SB load is actually only a guideline. The image size however is a rule atm :/
Tari
The maximum size is to prevent such high sb loads (as long as i Recall)
Damnae
Image size doesn't affect sb load. Only the space it takes on the screen does.

Also yes, the limit should be 1366x768.
XinCrin

Damnae wrote:

Also yes, the limit should be 1366x768.
ErunamoJAZZ
1366x768 and 1024x768, have sense for current time. I'm agree.
TicClick
would be cool to see this being a rule, as it will result in higher quality storyboards (at least sprite-wise)
p3n
Storyboard images must be at a reasonable filesize and dimension for their usage. For most uses (e.g. full-screen images), the maximum is 1366x768 pixels. For widescreen storyboards 854x480 is preferred as it matches the internal resolution of the SB editor. For 4:3 aspect ratio images 640x480 is preferred.

You have until monday 02/16/2015 to add/change/alter anything in the wording. Then it will be changed in the RC.
Okoratu
hype
Kyubey
What's about scrolling images?
p3n

Kyubey wrote:

What's about scrolling images?
No changes there. It is a seperate point in the RC and it is not part of this change.