Keyboard switch types mx blue vs mx red

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Pitis
I chose mx red, its better for me, thx all
boat
Linear switches are better in theory, speed and accuracy wise especially if you play with hitsounds on, but they wont make you a better player.

I'd pick switches based on typing comfort anyways, i.e browns or blacks if you insist on linear ones.
NTRSOUND
rubberdooms
Full Tablet

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

putting aside preferences, MX Red are technically better for osu but need some pro player who can control them perfectly.

I'd say, if there was a limit of 350bpm streams for human fingers playing MX Blue, for MX Reds it would be 380bpm
That difference is still too huge. I would say that (in the hypothetical case) a person who can can reach 220bpm with MX Blue could reach about 228bpm with MX Red (considering the amount of energy needed to do the movement, and taking into consideration that fingers weight about 18grams). For people who stream with the whole hand (for example vibrating the wrist) instead of fingers the difference would be much less.
Wishy
It's not that much about speed but about endurance, which in the end COULD mean more speed, your fingers are not gonna move faster because of your lighter keys. That was my experience at least, I stream faster on rubber-dome keyboards than on mechanics, my acc and endurance are worse tho.
jesse1412

Wishy wrote:

Blues are very good.

Reds are the best.

Period. This is not about personal preference but about facts, reds are the lightest switches around, so they are objectively the best. You may "prefer" blues because of the click thing, but that does not make them better. If you could get used to the no-click thing of red switches then they would simply outrank blues.
Lighter switches means less reaction force when you press meaning you have to put effort into 2 separete motions, a push down and afterwards a pull up (if you want to go fast). With blacks you only require a (larger) downwards force making streaming techniques easier to learn and allowing people to bulk build stamina in one direction.

Blacks are better, I have reds and blacks and I guess most of the people in this thread only have 1 or the other. Stop the red bandwagon you commies.

Reds also don't come up fast enough for me to stream at high bpm (240+ causes problems).

EDIT:

You're objectively wrong because it's subjective.

EDIT 2:

I briefly tested blues too and they felt the exact same as reds to me except there was a click when I pressed regardless of how hard I pressed, either way I fully bottomed out and it felt the exact same.
AmaiHachimitsu
Lighter switches means less reaction force when you press meaning you have to put effort into 2 separete motions, a push down and afterwards a pull up (if you want to go fast
that's why I said it needs some very good technique and skill to show reds' full potential.

But still I don't get the superiority of Blacks. Of course it's heavier so it's easier to keep the speed, but this is the case with rubber domes too making the mechanical feel the only difference.

I agree with you when it comes to stamina practice, but haven't most of us practiced over years on a cheap office rubber kb? isn't it enough so we can just use our trained skill show its potential with light switches?

I briefly tested blues too and they felt the exact same as reds to me except there was a click when I pressed regardless of how hard I pressed, either way I fully bottomed out and it felt the exact same.
I switched straight from Blues to Reds and I experienced a huge difference.
Dreamgate
i played with both, red and blues, and for me reds are better because you dont have to press them down completely, you can just tap them, that makes streaming easier
GoldenWolf

[timefrozen] wrote:

i played with both, red and blues, and for me reds are better because you dont have to press them down completely, you can just tap them, that makes streaming easier
you do know you don't have to fully bottom out with blues either right?
Dreamgate

GoldenWolf wrote:

[timefrozen] wrote:

you dont have to yea, but blues need 50g to press.
GoldenWolf

[timefrozen] wrote:

you dont have to yea, but blues need 50g to press.
How is that related to what you first said though?
TheBurningFox
I really prefer Brown switch
But if i have to chose
i Chose red
i really don't like Blue
NixXSkate
I really prefer Brown switch
But if i have to chose
i Chose blue
i really don't like Red
YukinoDesuDesu
I really prefer rubber domes
But if i have to chose
i Chose rubber domes
i really don't like rubber domes
haxsu
I own every single keyboard switches except for blacks and I have used each for them for years. Out of all of them, I prefer browns the most. It is both great for typing and gaming and they are the easiest to get used to in my opinion.

On Topic: However, If I had to choose one, I would say MX Blue wins because it is good for typing and it will get you really far in osu! MX Reds are too light for typing in my opinion and I believe that it will only be beneficial to players who has used a MX mech keyboard previously for a long period of time and are used to the feel of them.

Additional Thoughts: I honestly think that people should not buy a MX Red switch as their first MX switch and to choose from either MX Blue or MX Brown but this is just my opinion and based on my experience.

PS: I would really like to give Blacks a try one of these days :3
infernolu

RaneFire wrote:

wait99 wrote:

The clicking of blues pisses me off.
I got some noise isolating headphones and now the absence of any clicking sound whatsoever is pissing me off. I literally hear nothing from my blackwidow anymore :( NOTHING!
i use the blackwidow and i too have the same problem
E m i
It's a blessing. Listen to the hitsounds.
Yuudachi-kun

[ Momiji ] wrote:

It's a blessing. Listen to the hitsounds.
Heresy to blues everywhere.
f i z i k
I really prefer Blue switch
But if i have to chose
i Chose brown
i really don't like Red
Xayne
I literally just made the switch to reds after playing on blues for 4 months. The switch allowed me to stream 30 bpm faster (confirmed by a streaming speed test). My streaming got a lot more accurate and consistent switching from blue to red. If I had to type a paper, I'd use my keyboard with blues, but I would choose reds over blues for Osu! in a heartbeat.
Xayne

GoldenWolf wrote:

[timefrozen] wrote:

You don't have to fully bottom out any switch, but if you think it's just as easy to tap a blue as it is a red, you're out of your mind.
FrzR
I have experiences with both recently and they're both good.

I got the red switches since it feels lighter to push but rip typos. I didn't get the blues because of the noise it makes at least. lol
Yuudachi-kun
I just don't understand people who don't like the noises blues make. They're orgasmic.
Ishkiz

Kheldragar wrote:

I just don't understand people who don't like the noises blues make. They're orgasmic.
Sure, for some light typing. But I try not to annoy everybody in the entire tri-county area during a furious osu session, which is hard to do with blues. I'm a little worried about single-handedly causing earthquakes here and there due to the sheer magnitude of the soundwaves. It's even been said that all you can hear from the International Space Station is a faint, slightly rhythmic tapping - presumably from me playing osu in my bedroom.

Don't get me wrong though, I think they're great. It's just that I'm sure everyone else in the house/neighborhood/general vicinity would disagree
Xayne

Kheldragar wrote:

I absolutely LOVE my blues, just not for Osu!. The day I got my keyboard with reds, I tested stream speed and streamed 30 BPM faster than the fastest I ever could reach on blues. There's a difference. But typing is nowhere near as fun. They each have their pros and cons. If I were just putting together a computer to function normally, I'd choose blues easily. But reds are better for osu.
DahplA
Blues aren't even as loud as people make it to be. Unless you have some finger dysfunction in which you have to slam the key, it's not loud.
Xayne

DahplA wrote:

Blues aren't even as loud as people make it to be. Unless you have some finger dysfunction in which you have to slam the key, it's not loud.
Eh, they're pretty loud in comparison to other switches. If you go from anything but greens to blues, it's gonna be pretty loud in comparison to what you would be used to.
f i z i k

Xayne wrote:

I tested stream speed and streamed 30 BPM faster than the fastest I ever could reach on blues. There's a difference. But typing is nowhere near as fun. They each have their pros and cons. If I were just putting together a computer to function normally, I'd choose blues easily. But reds are better for osu.
So what's the logical reason behind a switch you're pressing making your fingers move faster? Switches have almost no impact on speed, it doesnt even make sense. They only influence control and stamina.
Yuudachi-kun
At least with blues you have to manually come up from the actuation point in order to press it again and can't just hover around that area. I probably wouldn't notice if I used reds because I slam the keys so hard greens would feel light as air.
Xayne

f i z i k wrote:

Xayne wrote:

I tested stream speed and streamed 30 BPM faster than the fastest I ever could reach on blues. There's a difference. But typing is nowhere near as fun. They each have their pros and cons. If I were just putting together a computer to function normally, I'd choose blues easily. But reds are better for osu.
So what's the logical reason behind a switch you're pressing making your fingers move faster? Switches have almost no impact on speed, it doesnt even make sense. They only influence control and stamina.
You're about as wrong as you can possibly be. The actuation point and reset point on reds are much closer together than blues, plus you don't have to reset past a bump on reds, so you can optimize the amount of space traveled to increase streaming speed. Having tested it personally, it's pretty simple. I didn't just wake up one day with the ability to stream 30 bpm faster magically on a different keyboard. There's a difference. The reset point on blues is actually well above the actuation point due to having to reset past the tactile bump in the switch, so in comparison to reds, you have to release the key a much greater length for the key to reset. Reds actuate at 2mm even though the switch is 4mm deep. So you can hover halfway down and use small precise movements to stream much faster. And because the actuation point and reset point are virtually the same place, it takes next to no movement to reset and re-actuate.
RaneFire

Xayne wrote:

You're about as wrong as you can possibly be.
You again.

Judging by the way you formulated your hypothesis of switch functions, you should be the fastest streamer around. I mean jesus1412 doesn't even do this "optimise the space traveled to increase streaming speed", so he must be incredibly slow compared to you. You even tested it personally so it must be correct. After all, you're never wrong.
f i z i k

Xayne wrote:

too long technical blahblah
but browns are literally doing the exact same thing and the bump tells you when to stop
honestly I think you just lack good enough streaming qualities to even judge, you are vastly overrating the effects of such small changes. also everyone said that learning to use the minimum force required to press a key, however that is not dependent on switch but on technique which you won't learn in 1 day by changing your keyboard
Xayne

RaneFire wrote:

Xayne wrote:

You're about as wrong as you can possibly be.
You again.

Judging by the way you formulated your hypothesis of switch functions, you should be the fastest streamer around. I mean jesus1412 doesn't even do this "optimise the space traveled to increase streaming speed", so he must be incredibly slow compared to you. You even tested it personally so it must be correct. After all, you're never wrong.
Nice rebuttal. I like all of the facts you presented to counteract my points. You're salty, and you really need to learn to let go. He challenged the points of my own testing. I saw the results for myself. He made a broad statement that was incorrect (switches don't matter in streaming speed) when there are differences in the switches that effect how fast you can actually stream (distance of actuation and reset points). I never claimed to be the fastest streamer, however I did claim that I streamed faster on reds than on blues, which is entirely true and proven through testing. But you can keep being a butthurt kid about any thing switch related that I say. Makes you look real cool on the internet. 8-)

And yes, he was wrong. Not because I wanted him to be, but because of facts that you can find just by simply looking up the makeup of the switches in question. Blues have a limitation that reds don't. It's not opinion. It's fact. It's how they are made.
Xayne

f i z i k wrote:

Xayne wrote:

too long technical blahblah
but browns are literally doing the exact same thing and the bump tells you when to stop
honestly I think you just lack good enough streaming qualities to even judge, you are vastly overrating the effects of such small changes. also everyone said that learning to use the minimum force required to press a key, however that is not dependent on switch but on technique which you won't learn in 1 day by changing your keyboard
The only difference is the minimum force required to actuate blues is not consistent because of the bump, it can vary within 10g of force depending on how the bump in the switch reacts. When you are looking at optimal switches, things like that come into play. Challenging my own personal streaming skill doesn't change that. You can choose to ignore it and act like it doesn't matter, but it does. I understand personal pride takes precedence over facts in internet discussion, especially on this board, but anyone who has used both blues and reds knows the difference in consistency and feel. It's kind of silly to bring in skill when comparing switches. Skill is a relative and fluctuating part of the equation so it can't be used for accurate comparison. If skill were brought in, it wouldn't matter what switches you use at all if you were the skill level of WWW or Cookiezi. The point is to compare performance differences at the same skill level, which is easiest to do when comparing the differences in your own gameplay, which I did. In my case, the difference was a significant improvement in the switch from blues to reds. I credit that to the physical makeup and functionality of reds vs. blues.
RaneFire
Xayne, I'm not going to into any technical details with you. I learned from past experience that it is a pointless exercise. Why do you think I went for a sour case of sarcasm instead?

Rather, I will just agree with fizik on this:

f i z i k wrote:

honestly I think you just lack good enough streaming qualities to even judge, you are vastly overrating the effects of such small changes.
Just accept it.
f i z i k

Xayne wrote:

The only difference is the minimum force required to actuate blues is not consistent because of the bump, it can vary within 10g of force depending on how the bump in the switch reacts.
Blacks do the same as red, just heavier - don't you think they can be the best too? The only difference is the force required then, however do you think this even matters when talking about 50 presses?

Xayne wrote:

Challenging my own personal streaming skill doesn't change that. You can choose to ignore it and act like it doesn't matter, but it does. I understand personal pride takes precedence over facts in internet discussion, especially on this board, but anyone who has used both blues and reds knows the difference in consistency and feel. It's kind of silly to bring in skill when comparing switches.
Skill is relevant when judging things like that. I can't map 260BPM maps for example, since I don't have any experience in playing those maps. So I can't even testplay them and rate them if they're well-made or not, experience = skill in this case. You can't stream well enough to judge things well enough - if all you can do is mash, you can mash 30BPM faster with any switch. I don't know how good you are and it's just an assumption but I think I trust jesse's opinion over yours if it's about something mechanical like this, even considering facts. Besides that we're arguing about something of subjective nature here, since the keyboard is like 10% of your gameplay at best, your fingers do 90% of the work. [/quote]

Xayne wrote:

[..]which is easiest to do when comparing the differences in your own gameplay, which I did. In my case, the difference was a significant improvement in the switch from blues to reds. I credit that to the physical makeup and functionality of reds vs. blues.
These stream testing tools are bullshit aswell, you can just hold a key down or mash like crazy. Doesn't mean you can "stream" if you can mash buttons.

Also I don't wanna post more from here, I am not gonna google some physical laws and do super-geek math on how the actuation saves you 0.000000x seconds and how 15g per click less have an influence on twitching your muscle fibres - it's a fucking game about clicking circles, just press them.
Xayne

RaneFire wrote:

Xayne, I'm not going to into any technical details with you. I learned from past experience that it is a pointless exercise. Why do you think I went for a sour case of sarcasm instead?

Rather, I will just agree with fizik on this:

f i z i k wrote:

honestly I think you just lack good enough streaming qualities to even judge, you are vastly overrating the effects of such small changes.
Just accept it.
In other words you have no facts to support your claim. You have no technical details because there aren't any to dispute my point. It's not hard to tell when a post with facts and figures is responded to with sarcasm, opinions, and personal jabs. In any case, I don't do it to prove someone wrong or boost some kind of pride. The whole point is to present the community with facts that will help them make an informed decision, which is why I leave variables that aren't under their control out of my points. We're talking about extreme optimization of performance. That means any difference, no matter how small, matters. Which is why when talking about which switches to use, you talk about the switches and the switches only, because that is the one factor that will always change with zero variables. Skill is relative and different for every person. So using that as a point when comparing switches is completely irrelevant. Feel free to respond with sarcasm all you want, your mind is made. My intention is to help people who haven't researched and may not know the differences between switches.
Xayne

f i z i k wrote:

Xayne wrote:

The only difference is the minimum force required to actuate blues is not consistent because of the bump, it can vary within 10g of force depending on how the bump in the switch reacts.
Blacks do the same as red, just heavier - don't you think they can be the best too? The only difference is the force required then, however do you think this even matters when talking about 50 presses?
This was about reds vs. blues exclusively. But if you want to bring blacks in, then yes. I would choose blacks over blues for the same reason I would choose reds over blues. The reds vs. blacks comes down to personal preference. If your fingers can handle blacks better than reds, more power to you, if not, then obviously you would choose reds. In all honesty the differences between reds vs. blacks aren't enough to warrant fretting over getting one or the other unless you have considerably weak fingers. At the core, they're both the same.
Yuudachi-kun

f i z i k wrote:

Besides that we're arguing about something of subjective nature here, since the keyboard is like 10% of your gameplay at best, your fingers do 90% of the work.
I would disagree since I found that playing osu on different computers with different keyboards was a whole different experience and I found my hand got tired much more easily or I couldn't tap/stream as fast &c.
f i z i k

Kheldragar wrote:

I would disagree since I found that playing osu on different computers with different keyboards was a whole different experience and I found my hand got tired much more easily or I couldn't tap/stream as fast &c.
Change your seating posture on where you play usually, and you'll notice huge difference too. Change the keyboard/tablets position etc. and play around with it, when I play at other places I have to get used to different seat/desk height too
show more