forum

we want ranked ET beatmaps (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tear
Wtf 4 pages, tl;dr o_o

Drace: I didn't mean to say what's universally right or wrong, I guess I expect people to know to prepend "imo" to everything I say.
This will always be a problem as long as the concept of ranked maps exists, because it implies that there's a universal objective quality treshold. LR2 (and all other community-based games) do this right... Good maps stay popular, bad maps get forgotten. Except osu will never do that, because it would mean dropping the precious pp system.
JamesHappy

Envisionise wrote:

Mapping is a form of art, a platform for creativity. Therefore, 'overmapping' doesn't exist in a place like here. Feeling that a chart is overmapped is your personal response to someone elses art. Feeling that a chart is overmapped is perfectly fine, but no map is actually overmapped. It does not mean that the work is invalid and is low in quality.

When you play someone's chart, you are playing the mapper's interpretation of the song. You are living and breathing their art. If you feel that chart is overmapped, that is your personal opinion of the chart. It does not mean that it's wrong, there is no such thing as wrong in art.
Someone else could play that chart and believe that it's a fun, high quality map.

I believe ranked maps are maps that are fun to play and are of at least decent quality. If a map targeted for ET players satisfies that criteria, why can't it be ranked? The chart is simply targeting a different audience, though a smaller one. Whether 99% of the community cannot appreciate the map, that 1% still finds the map fun and that map should satisfy the criteria of being ranked. Personally, I find MANY ranked maps aren't fun for me. Am i going out to bitch about it? Nope. I can appreciate the fact that others find it fun and I'm totally fine with that.

I'm not sure why ET maps aren't ranked. If the BAT's find charts low in quality or 'overmapped', they should listen to the players whom the map was targeted at. The experience range of the BATs isn't wide enough to speak for the entire community. In such a community driven game, I think this is a huge fundamental flaw that needs to be addressed.

plz rank et maps plz
I agree with this.
ArcherLove
um
Well, that discussion is going to nowhere, probably my last post here.
ya, I was wondering who

corenik pls, what kind of ET maps you want
be specify :3

so people won't argument over subjective and never-ending topics..

aaa
corenik pls [2] where is your reply xD
kidlat020
if people want some objectivity here, then simply look at the top 50 scores of practically any ranked song. everyone is playing 99%.

this only says the ranked songs are too easy. the demand for harder songs is not stemming from any kind of "bias"

but personally, I'd be losing my own songs that I could play. 4 stars is my limit. its either A, B or dead.
Bobbias

kidlat020 wrote:

but personally, I'd be losing my own songs that I could play.
To be completely fair, for me, every map with the hardest difficulty less than about 4 stars is so easy I won't play it more than maybe once or twice (unless I absolutely love the song). If a map is too easy, it's just like if it was too hard. Sure, I can play it, but it's no fun, just like nofailing on something way too hard would be for most players. The ranking criteria is supposed to deal with this issue by ensuring that there are both easy difficulties and harder difficulties... Unfortunately the rule is currently biased towards easy maps.
Tidek

Bobbias wrote:

Unfortunately the rule is currently biased towards easy maps.
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Osu!mania_Ranking_Criteria Where?

The reason why hard maps are not ranked were mentioned before in this thread.
Bobbias
From https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria#Mapset:

The mapset must have a well-designed spread of difficulties, containing at least an Easy or a Normal difficulty. This is so that players of all levels of experience are able to enjoy maps of the songs they love.

The difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order. Easy or Normal can be skipped if the gap in the star rating spread allows it. The order can be seen in the chart below. If your mapset has two difficulties, one of them cannot be an Insane or Expert. The lowest difficulty must be below 2.0 stars. The difficulty level of Taiko-specific and osu!mania-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread and might contain an Hard/Insane only, if there are standard difficulties present. In CtB, the spread evaluation is upon the BATs discretion. The difficulty spread is determined by the map's star rating. A map falls under a certain difficulty when having a specific star rating:
Below 1.5: Easy
Below 2.25: Normal
Below 3.75: Hard
Below 5.25: Insane
Above 5.25: Expert
So, you can add a Hard/Insane mania difficulty to a standard map, but if you make a standalone mania map, you must follow the first part of that section, meaning you must have one difficulty at or below 2.0 stars and a second difficulty that isn't too much harder. This means that if you want a map with easy difficulties, you only need 2, if you have something with harder difficulties, you may need 3 or 4 difficulties to satisfy this rule. That biases it towards easier maps.
kidlat020
Ok, I'm now convinced. the ET maps are nowhere near ET at all. all you need is IIDX controller.

It is a lot friendlier than keyboards. yes, even mech ones. jackhammers are nothing on an IIDX controller.

In O!std terms, its like playing std on mouse vs on a tablet.

perhaps if peppy would merchandise said controller.

(perhaps this is why I feel like I don't improve)
Frustration

kidlat020 wrote:

Ok, I'm now convinced. the ET maps are nowhere near ET at all. all you need is IIDX controller.

It is a lot friendlier than keyboards. yes, even mech ones. jackhammers are nothing on an IIDX controller.

You know that most of the top players play using a keyboard, right?
Tokiiwa

kidlat020 wrote:

jackhammers are nothing on an IIDX controller.
do you even have a IIDX controller
lenpai

kidlat020 wrote:

:O

I actually tried playing beatmania gold (yeah, the actual arcade)
I find playing on that kind of controller very hard I can't even pass level 3 songs on standard mode.
Certain patterns might be easier on that kind of controller.

I'm currently not against what you said due to my lack of knowledge in using iidx controler but would you mind backing up your statement that it makes ET charts easier?
kidlat020
as I said, jackhammers. when a column is jackhammer you can at least use two fingers instead of one.

in theory at least.

all that's left is grindingpracticing with IIDX controller.
Starry-

kidlat020 wrote:

I was in the middle of writing a long post in reply to this but I couldn't be bothered. That's just.. wrong lol, don't be convinced if it's not even true.

Oh and it's sad we went hugely offtopic again, but I think there wasn't much of a balanced discussion in the first place.
Pinecone
Rofl jackhammer is nothing on controller?
Cool story bro

Case closed

Now stop complaining you can't jackhammer on a keyboard.
richardfeder
wtf is this sensitive IR fc
Bobbias

richardfeder wrote:

wtf is this sensitive IR fc
magic
Kamikaze
Again the same guy with his weird theories lmao
Nekro_old_1

kidlat020 wrote:

You should spend your time playing the game instead of cooking up ridiculous theories.

10% difference between 0133's (KB) score and the other 2 top controller scores (さや and Rag's) in the current overjoy course

Playing with a IIDX controller isn't as easy as you might think.... and it doesn't give an instant skill-boost if you switch from a KB to controller (it's quite the opposite. You're essentially relearning with new finger placement)
lenpai

kidlat020 wrote:

as I said, jackhammers. when a column is jackhammer you can at least use two fingers instead of one.

in theory at least.

all that's left is grindingpracticing with IIDX controller.
If the purpose of using an iidx controller is just for jacks, in which not all ET maps consist of, I'm sticking with my keyboard
*Cough i can jack a lot better than LN
kidlat020
I'll just crunch in the corner over there...
AdamMZ
^ same
Ikaros-
#backtotopicpls

we want ranked ET beatmaps
Kamikaze
Noice sig you've got there m8
tbh, getting back on topic won't do anything. Instead of arguing/posting here we should be making this hard stuff and/or modding it. That'll help the cause
Bobbias

-Kamikaze- wrote:

Noice sig you've got there m8
tbh, getting back on topic won't do anything. Instead of arguing/posting here we should be making this hard stuff and/or modding it. That'll help the cause
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe someone should put together a mod queue just for ET diffs? Although this would only work if you could find a few people who are willing, and can actually mod ET maps properly...