forum

[Rule Clarification] wav file must be at least 100ms long

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kibbleru
Every .wav file must be at least 100ms long to prevent issues with soundcards. If you want a silent/blank hitsound, then you must use a 0-byte .wav file.
I think this may possibly need a clarification. currently the rules states that the entire file must be 100ms long but some people (including me) may mistaken it to be that the active time of the hitsound must be 100 ms long

For hitsounds such as http://puu.sh/dttBG/871f5414ba.wav where the active time is below 100ms but the entire length of the file (including silence) is above 100ms

It may get confusing

I'm not exactly sure how we can clarify this but i think this is an issue to be addressed
Lust
I think its pretty clear as is. ".wav file" refers to the length of the file itself, not the active time. If anyone has confusion over this, its just a simple question and answer.
Topic Starter
Kibbleru

Lust wrote:

I think its pretty clear as is. ".wav file" refers to the length of the file itself, not the active time. If anyone has confusion over this, its just a simple question and answer.
lol i misunderstood this in the first place.

maybe im just stupid but i think there will be people who will misunderstand
Lust
If there are people out there who misunderstand, they can ask those who do understand or it can be cleared up during the modding process. No need to change the wording imo, it seems pretty clear
Lach
It was immediately clear to me the first time I read it. I don't think it needs changing.
Scorpiour
just remind that not only .wav could be used as hitsound sample but .mp3 & .ogg as well
Lach
Supposedly ogg is not supported, and mp3 is a bad idea to use.
captin1
it may be worth noting that the current rule states that a blank hitsound must be a 0-byte file, when it links to the 44-byte file that won't break bss
xxdeathx

captin1 wrote:

it may be worth noting that the current rule states that a blank hitsound must be a 0-byte file, when it links to the 44-byte file that won't break bss
Maybe it's 0 bytes in the way that you right click it and choose Properties and there's a size and size on disk and one of them is 0 bytes and the other 44.
Lach

xxdeathx wrote:

Maybe it's 0 bytes in the way that you right click it and choose Properties and there's a size and size on disk and one of them is 0 bytes and the other 44.
I'm a little confused about what you mean, or think you mean. The file is 44 bytes because of the data describing the container. The audio stream is blank.
Lust
The misunderstanding in the original post has been cleared up. Any other discussion that was brought about should belong in a separate thread.

Flaming.