forum

Rank Stagnation / Loss

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DegPixel
I picked up my tablet today and started playing, and it felt like it was a pretty good day, I got some higher scores on old beatmaps, lost a few ranks but I figured that was just due to being surpassed, no biggie, it happens. I then scored an S on a song I'd been stuck on an A for awhile on, as well as a full combo, which I'd never achieved. I was so happy because usually when you score a full combo and get an S you get a pretty nice rank bump, and I'd been trying for awhile. -600.

I don't understand. Even if I was really surpassed by that many people in the duration of that 3 minute song, that just seems unreasonable. How does the ranking factor out, exactly? The beatmap in question was Setting Sail, Coming Home [Hard], not one of the hardest songs I've beaten, but still fairly high on my list.

Do I just need to work on my accuracy? I'd really like to break 100k but it seems like I can never gain more than 40-50 rank at a time at most. I scored ~400,000 more points than my previous high score, though I did lose 0.08% accuracy. I'm not sure about the PP difference, but I likely gained a few.
dung eater
Download a ton of beatmaps, play a lot of beatmaps, find things you are bad at and work on them. Don't worry about your rank, worry about how you play.

You are bound to get better if you keep playing. It'll be faster if you consciously try to get better. Breaking 100k should not take long if you keep playing stuff that you learn from.

High combo and good accuracy are things that give most pp. System isn't perfect, but i'm pretty sure you deserve whatever pp you got from that song.
Vuelo Eluko
at such a low level of play rank is pretty unimportant, start worrying about it when you're pushing top 50 cause thats when people will notice it
winber1
ranking doesn't update unless you play sometimes.
secondly, accuracy makes a large difference in pp gain.
third, it shouldn't be hard to figure your own weaknesses and adjust your playing/practicing accordingly
Topic Starter
DegPixel

jaaakb wrote:

Download a ton of beatmaps, play a lot of beatmaps, find things you are bad at and work on them. Don't worry about your rank, worry about how you play.

You are bound to get better if you keep playing. It'll be faster if you consciously try to get better. Breaking 100k should not take long if you keep playing stuff that you learn from.

High combo and good accuracy are things that give most pp. System isn't perfect, but i'm pretty sure you deserve whatever pp you got from that song.
Fair enough, I'm well enough aware that rank doesn't exactly matter where I am anyways, but in a sense, I use it to add fun to the game. I'm a very competitive person, so if I see that my ranking is going up, even slightly, that gives me more motivation to play, even if it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the advice, though.
cheezstik
I broke 100k getting good accuracy FC's on DT+HR normals, sure you might not be as good as others in that range if you use this technique, but anyone actually remotely good doesn't belong there anyway.
GoldenWolf

cheezstik wrote:

but anyone actually remotely good doesn't belong there anyway.
is this ELO Hell?
chainpullz
I was like rank 35k before I even noticed my rank. I don't know why people get so hung up over it when they are so obviously bad. You'll get a higher rank when you are better. Focus on that instead.

Edit: Just for clarification, you can argue everyone is bad. Being unable to even fc easy insanes means you have no reason to care about your rank. You aren't even playing the "hardest" difficulty yet (yes I know there are extras and stuff but insanes cover such a large portion of maps).
Gumpy

chainpullz wrote:

I was like rank 35k before I even noticed my rank. I don't know why people get so hung up over it when they are so obviously bad.
Because it's a massive number on your screen that everyone sees at all times and one of the first things that pop up on the userpage.
buny
-600 at 100k is less than a 1% rank loss
Kaitou Kid
My situation exactly -.-

If you want to get better rank up faster look at the top ranks of people around your rank (go by a 10K margin) download those maps and FC with 97%+ acc. Easy
gh0st-

Teigu wrote:

My situation exactly -.-

If you want to get better rank up faster look at the top ranks of people around your rank (go by a 10K margin) download those maps and FC with 97%+ acc. Easy
or like, play a couple DT songs and instantly get sub-10k
SomeLoli

cheezstik wrote:

I broke 100k getting good accuracy FC's on DT+HR normals, sure you might not be as good as others in that range if you use this technique, but anyone actually remotely good doesn't belong there anyway.
I play norms with dt/hr/hd all the time...Im about to break 50k doing that let alone 100k :) . Really easy pp and your accuracy stays sky high as long as you don't suck I guess. Though I happen to do that because I enjoy playing them, hard maps hurt my wrist if I play them all the time :( .

If you care about ranking that much I would recommend it though.
Fluxi

SomeLoli wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

I play norms with dt/hr/hd all the time...Im about to break 50k doing that let alone 100k :) . Really easy pp and your accuracy stays sky high as long as you don't suck I guess. Though I happen to do that because I enjoy playing them, hard maps hurt my wrist if I play them all the time :( .

If you care about ranking that much I would recommend it though.
But doing maps that you can easily pass with high accuracy won't help in terms of increasing your upper bound of skill. I mean, sure you get pp from songs you can easily do but if you push yourself, you improve at a greater rate and you can play harder songs and climb ranks. With more practice on top of that, you can achieve the same level of accuracy but on harder songs and you generally improve faster rate. Though if you just want to play the came casually and relax, then play whatever you want.
SomeLoli

SmexyKiss wrote:

But doing maps that you can easily pass with high accuracy won't help in terms of increasing your upper bound of skill. I mean, sure you get pp from songs you can easily do but if you push yourself, you improve at a greater rate and you can play harder songs and climb ranks. With more practice on top of that, you can achieve the same level of accuracy but on harder songs and you generally improve faster rate. Though if you just want to play the came casually and relax, then play whatever you want.
OP is worried about his pp and acc, It's merely a good suggestion to buff those things easily. Myself, I don't care about them stats as such...I don't really care about trying to "grind out" harder maps to try and push myself either. Yes, I play to relax more then tryhard :P . Though that doesn't mean I don't want to be good eventually...no reason to rush it.
chainpullz

SmexyKiss wrote:

But doing maps that you can easily pass with high accuracy won't help in terms of increasing your upper bound of skill.
This is just blatantly wrong unless you consider "easily pass with high accuracy" to be getting 100% with 0 unstable rate on every play. You might not increase your skill much in regards to the time you spend, but you are saying not at all. If you changed this to be a relative statement as opposed to an absolute statement, the only issue would be that high accuracy is not well defined.

I think what you are trying to say is "I do not notice myself improving as much when I play maps that I consider myself to have high accuracy on while passing as when I play more difficult maps." Notice that this is phrased objectively and is much more useful than what you originally said.
Vuelo Eluko
You can get good playing stuff you can easily get high acc on only but hell if thats not boring, i get infinite more enjoyment getting a 78% on banned chipscape than yet another 1x100 on that Subplaid map
Senpoii
Necro'ing this because I wanna rant about ranks too.
I've been stuck at 35k for the past 5 months. Back in v1 of Bancho I was 19k.
This morning I played a map with DTHR, fc with only 2 or 5 100's, lost 376pp, which that 300pp took me days toget because whenever I do pass and gain pp, it's usually only 1-30 pp / song...
Not enjoying this.
otoed1

Ilfri-chan wrote:

Necro'ing this because I wanna rant about ranks too.
I've been stuck at 35k for the past 5 months. Back in v1 of Bancho I was 19k.
This morning I played a map with DTHR, fc with only 2 or 5 100's, lost 376pp, which that 300pp took me days toget because whenever I do pass and gain pp, it's usually only 1-30 pp / song...
Not enjoying this.
Your shit and should play more. Play nomod, stop fing around with mods. Also don't necro, if your going to rant make a new thread.