forum

Tips for ranking up in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
huhuchiao

Generally I got into the 5000s after playing for three months, a lot of ups and downs; here's what I can share,

1) Beatmap offsets,
There are maps with faster bpm and slower bpm, you can always adjust the beatmap offset according to your preference.
Whenever you are playing a beatmap, there's always a hotkey that will allow you to adjust the beatmap offset before the song starts, usually its F2 or F3 for increase or decrease speed. You can look up that in the settings- hot keys area.

2) If four - five star maps often destroy you, why not go with two - three star maps?
Seriously, although challenging is a good thing, but why not get some useful pp when you have the ability to? I see people in multiplayer mode often select maps not matching their playstyle, score, ranking, etc. It's really your choice to pick up hard maps, but it is also wise to select maps within your ability range. I started to play two star mania maps, and some converted maps from 3 to 5 stars, after I picked up to four - five star mania maps. It really does take time, and you will realize your improvements. xD

3) Watch replays!
Replays of professional plays are essential to your improvement in a map, you can watch it before you play a beatmap or after. (Doesn't matter ;) ) The point is to get use to professional speed and play style of the beatmap. It is good to follow and ask for tips from high ranks, I believe most of them have good information to share!

4) Mods!

I don't usually use that much mods, but sometimes for fun I use fade in/hidden/sudden death for beatmaps I am familiar with. :P It was a mistake that I use the standard Osu! Mods, but its similar, the difference is the special part.

5) Warm-up maps
There are no specific warm up maps, but I recommend that you can find some maps to utilize it into warm up maps, the purpose of it is to get your fingers into battle mode! Don't pick hard warm up maps, pick some beatmaps at your level, and here's some recommendations:

6) Spectate! Spectate!
This is an option, but you can spectate pro players and imagine yourself going at full speed :P

7) Have Fun! Osu! Mania is Love, Osu! Mania is Lyfe!

#http://www.twitch.tv/amxt
#https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3847007
# :P http://amxt.deviantart.com/
ikzune
you really shouldnt care about going for #1 in osumania and more so focus on getting better and having fun... such as setting a goal of reaching a certain point in a single chart making pp your only goal is unhealthy in mania trust me :>
Jole

laishiou wrote:

you really shouldnt care about going for #1 in osumania and more so focus on getting better and having fun... such as setting a goal of reaching a certain point in a single chart making pp your only goal is unhealthy in mania trust me :>
It's especially stupid to go for a high rank since the rankings aren't accurate due to the lack of hard maps
Drace
Ranking wouldn't be accurate no matter what you do due to the excessive amount of dimensions relating to one's skill.~~

It's just there as an entertainment factor for those who... yeah let's just keep it at that.
Topic Starter
huhuchiao
Yep I know that the element of having fun is most important, but considering that people wanted to know the general idea of ranking up :oops:
Bobbias
Going for easy PP scores only helps until you fill up your top scores list. The weighting system ensures that only the best of your scores will contribute to your PP, this means that farming out low SR charts will only get you a PP gain until you fill the bottom ranks of your top scores list. At that point you will be forced to get scores worth more PP than the ones you were farming before in order to get any gain of PP at all.

As you get higher in the ranks, you will find it worthless to even play many maps because you will never get PP from them even if you get a great score on them. I don't gain any PP from any score worth less than ~115pp right now. And even if I get a new score at say 125pp it'll be so low it won't get more than 1-2pp based on scaling, which means I have the potential to gain 0 or 1 pp for that score. The only way I can get decent amounts of PP is by playing songs that are worth a lot of points now. Because of how difficulty scales the PP value of a map, it promotes playing the hardest thing you can once you've filled out your top ranks.
[TIM]
I see many posts here about "not caring about rank". However, I think this post not only gives tips for ranking up.. But it also provides good, general tips for improving one's play. Thanks for the post!
Topic Starter
huhuchiao

Bobbias wrote:

Going for easy PP scores only helps until you fill up your top scores list. The weighting system ensures that only the best of your scores will contribute to your PP, this means that farming out low SR charts will only get you a PP gain until you fill the bottom ranks of your top scores list. At that point you will be forced to get scores worth more PP than the ones you were farming before in order to get any gain of PP at all.

As you get higher in the ranks, you will find it worthless to even play many maps because you will never get PP from them even if you get a great score on them. I don't gain any PP from any score worth less than ~115pp right now. And even if I get a new score at say 125pp it'll be so low it won't get more than 1-2pp based on scaling, which means I have the potential to gain 0 or 1 pp for that score. The only way I can get decent amounts of PP is by playing songs that are worth a lot of points now. Because of how difficulty scales the PP value of a map, it promotes playing the hardest thing you can once you've filled out your top ranks.
Yes I really appreciate that you mentioned the part relating to "challenging" harder beatmaps, it is true that once you hit a certain rank, playing more beatmaps does not increase your pp but just gives you play counts and levels you up :( Getting full combo and perfects are also important for beatmaps at your level. Or you can juts download new beatmaps and gain a lot of pp! A lot of people mention the having" fun element, I agree, but this is for people aiming to rank up! Having a little competitive spirit is nothing wrong! :P
Bobbias
It's not about what rank you are. It's about your skill level. Once you have scores on easy songs, you will be forced to ply harder songs if you want to gain PP. I also firmly believe that concentrating on getting FCs/SSs on easy stuff is a terrible way to improve. You should be playing a range of songs from things you can S to things you can barely pass, at the very least.

You can rank up by improving scores, and by filling your top scores with easier scores for a while, but no matter what, you'll reach a point where the only way to get more PP is to get better and pass harder songs. Focusing improving accuracy and consistency on easier songs does not improve your overall skill very quickly.
Ylona_old
Thanks for this tips bro. :D :)
Evening
pls enjoy game
Kamikaze
Apart from the fact that there's no such thing as "professional players/plays" here, most of this stuff like mods and offsets are covered in Drace's guide (https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/146615) already.
As for the warmup maps point, I disagree with the fact that you shouldn't pick hard maps for it. I myself tend to warmup with very brutal maps (7-9*) to liven up my fingers and I get myself ready to play in a rather short time. You can as well use use maps below your level and go for accuracy scores on warmup, it also worked good for me, but it took me longer to get my fingers ready. It's all personal preference really
Mwallx

Zenx wrote:

pls enjoy game
[Crz]Player
It's MANIERAAAAAAAAAA MasterPPiece
Jinjin

ATTang wrote:

It's MANIERAAAAAAAAAA MasterPPiece
Based Jinjin.
O wait.
BleM
MANIERA MasterPPiece + HAELEQUIN Extended PP Ver + Achromapp