osu! World Cup 2014 - Mappool Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
buny
moar stream maps

saving the good ones for finals rite
GladiOol
finals will get more cohesion between jumps and streams. as far as the ''english'' aspect goes; i can't really work with that. most maps of the right difficulty are either japanese or instrumental. that's just the way it is.

as far as your animo (as the dutch would say) goes amai, i really could not care less. if this maplist would consist of maps that i'd consider fun, nearly 0 of the ones used would be in it, hence it's redundant to even bring the word ''fun'' up. i'm here to create a consistent / good maplist that depicts a certain set of skill appropriate for the round currently being played.

please do remember you can ban maps as well - you are not 100% forced to play a certain map. you have a say in it. in both picking and banning.
fartownik

GladiOol wrote:

finals will get more cohesion between jumps and streams. as far as the ''english'' aspect goes; i can't really work with that. most maps of the right difficulty are either japanese or instrumental. that's just the way it is.

as far as your animo (as the dutch would say) goes amai, i really could not care less. if this maplist would consist of maps that i'd consider fun, nearly 0 of the ones used would be in it, hence it's redundant to even bring the word ''fun'' up. i'm here to create a consistent / good maplist that depicts a certain set of skill appropriate for the round currently being played.

please do remember you can ban maps as well - you are not 100% forced to play a certain map. you have a say in it. in both picking and banning.
let's ban them maps because they're Vocaloids, 10/10 tactical planning xD
KRZY
Yeah don't take the English comment too seriously, the maps are fine
fartownik

fartownik wrote:

IMO the tournament would use another mappool solely for the Final and 3rd Place match. Currently the Final mappool will be overplayed by the finalist coming out of Loser's Bracket (if that team is not the loser of Winner's Bracket final, but that also is a problem -> see next sentence). Also, there's a high chance the main Final will be the same as the final of the Winner's Bracket and it would be kinda weird to see the exact same match played with the exact same mappool, but a week later.
pls
buny
grand finals is now finals no mod + dt

if we had a different mappool for each progressive final with progressing difficulty (hard since no mod maps can't really get any harder than this), it would be amazing to watch
fartownik
I guess the difficulty gap is ALREADY fine, even for the finals. There hasn't been much FCs in the losers' bracket and I don't expect a lot in the winners' as well. The only brackets that could get harder and still be FCable/not random "who gets less misses" contests are DoubleTime and the Tiebreaker. The DTs could get faster (in terms of speed and AR) and the tiebreaker could simply get harder as a whole. Rest of the maps seem like everyone can miss and everyone can FC depending on the form of the day (except a few nomods).

The Final of Finals mappool should be at the same level as the Finals mappool (imo). Please add this, it will be so much better with a separate pool for the grand final.
Tom94

fartownik wrote:

I guess the difficulty gap is ALREADY fine, even for the finals. There hasn't been much FCs in the losers' bracket and I don't expect a lot in the winners' as well. The only brackets that could get harder and still be FCable/not random "who gets less misses" contests are DoubleTime and the Tiebreaker. The DTs could get faster (in terms of speed and AR) and the tiebreaker could simply get harder as a whole. Rest of the maps seem like everyone can miss and everyone can FC depending on the form of the day (except a few nomods).

The Final of Finals mappool should be at the same level as the Finals mappool (imo). Please add this, it will be so much better with a separate pool for the grand final.
The thing is, that many players excel at being consistent at difficulties / speeds where other players break down completely. I don't think "everybody does random misses" is a good point for stopping to increase the difficulty.

Many, many players who for instance excel at high speeds such as 260 bpm deathstreams or even longer 220+ bpm streams never even had the opportunity to show where they shine. Same with high BPM screenjumps.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Pool for both final weeks is out! *runs quickly before getting killed*
tryaway
*ded
Synchrostar
dear lord
Garpo
I love how there is only 1 10.3 map and no cs 5 no mod but a cs 5 hr map.
buny
rip
Zare
My worst and my best ranked map in the same mappool

I'm fine with that
Tom94
I jizzed a little when seeing the finals mappool.
Luvdic
Yay my map!
buny

Xanandra wrote:

Yay my map!
omg not japanese pls remove

also, is there actually another mappool coming out? or am i being confused?
Aka
awesome :D
Xytox
I love the tiebreaker so much.
xxdeathx
Lol, Chloe's BIRTH is a fun one. Good luck with the spaced streams in the kiai and the deathstream in the middle.
kuur0
Just wondering is there gonna be a different map pool if theres a grand final rematch
Topic Starter
Loctav
You could simply read my post...
kuur0

Loctav wrote:

Oh sorry must've misread it... Thanks for the reminder.
Nwolf
omg that song variety

<3
Skystar
Kloyd hype
Daborgia
My opinion on this final Mappool

Pros:
- Extremly wide Music variety.
Classics like Bomfunk, Electric Music like the Tiebreaker or Undead Corp. Even a Leaf Track is in. Kudos
- Really really difficulty
This time the diff focus wasn´t set on star-rating or jump(Airman)/stream(sola) problems, instead this time its all about holding the Combo and getting a fc.

Cons:

- OWC is over soon
When you know that those Maps are part of the hardest mappool, you slowly realize that OWC will be over soon...:( :(
KRZY
so...

difficult...
MadeInChina
i like how scarlet rose is being saved as the tiebreaker for grand finals
Topic Starter
Loctav

ImMadeInChina wrote:

i like how scarlet rose is being saved as the tiebreaker for grand finals
THere is no other mappool
Shigoto
WOW! That maps at the finals :D

go go go germany you can do it :3
fartownik

Loctav wrote:

Is there any post explaining WHY there's no separate mappool for the final? Can't seem to find it.
AmaiHachimitsu
This mappool is far better than the previous one, but I still see some mispicks

Hardrock bracket is easier than the ro16 and please don't try to convince me that it's only my opinion/preference

I don't really know if you've been picking maps with an FC probability component included. Some maps from the pool are quite easy to get good combo on, but they are TROLL at one moment or even worse, at the end and even the best of the best can fail the map.

Yggdrasil, the map itself is not hard, but it has one heck of a spaced stream at the end, half of the teams fail.
BIRTH is the same (though nobody should fail it), actually one spaced stream doing the job
Red Goose (the stupidest pick of them all) is the same, the kiai and the bigblacksliders + stupidly shaped stream will break the fuck of the combo virtually EVERY time.
On a side note, Encryption often won't let you revive because it ends with a slow down. You didn't think about it did you

Back to HRs being too easy.

Lifetheory's song is a joke when I compare it to Reiwai Terrorism, the gap is too broad. As I said before, ro16 picks were harder (to FC) than Angel.

And apart from that, thanks for the effort put in. You did good job making this tournament at least a little bit enjoyable.
buny
I agree that the HR maps are too easy
B1rd
I vote for Luv Letter HR
KRZY
Still liked the cs5+HR idea, it's like the 10.3 of HardRock
fartownik

fartownik wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Is there any post explaining WHY there's no separate mappool for the final? Can't seem to find it.
Vuelo Eluko
Wtf why yggdrasil, the map really is pretty easy until that hellscape of a stream at the end
AmaiHachimitsu

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Yggdrasil, the map itself is not hard, but it has one heck of a spaced stream at the end, half of the teams fail.
On a side note, Encryption often won't let you revive because it ends with a slow down. You didn't think about it did you
Tom94
I feel like seeing such strong teams as Korea and Japan battling it out in the loser bracket confirms my (and various others') point of the first few map pools being too easy, making some high-end teams drop out for a few random misses.

Fighting Korea on the later map pool would certainly have been a much harder task than it was in group stages or one of the earlier map pools for instance.
tryaway
I think Japan lost because they didn't have their starplayer (rrtyui) at the moment versus Sweden.
show more