forum

Should I stop using ring + index finger for playing osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
naliem
I have been playing osu for one year, and most of the time i used the middle finger and the index finger.

Three months ago, I realizaed that playing with my ring finger instead of the middle finger was more comfortable and I started using it instead of the middle finger. A few days ago, I realized that I'm stuck at 185+ streams and can't singletap above 210 bpm. Maybe is the ring finger slowing my speed? I practice almost everyday and try to push up my limits with high BPM songs and streams, but it seems that I can't go any further than I am.

Is playing with the ring finger and the index finger normal? All the player I see are using middle + index and I tried to return to this method but now my middle finger is fucking dead. I can't even stream 160 bpm with it and my singletap is horrendous.

Should I stop using my ring finger and try to return to the middle one? Is playing with it a bad habit which I have taken? In that case, it would be better to start somewhere below my level for getting used to, and that pisses me off D:

Thanks for reading my poor english (spanish educations is the best -irony-).
Ohrami
what you really need is the osu! tablet

dung eater
Changing things does take getting used to. If you want to do it, do it. Any combination of middle/index/ring finger should be fine.
_koinuri
Ring + index full alternate playstyle here, I'm probably the only person who plays like this

Since you seem to have similar problem as me (I'm still stuck at 190BPM stream and 210BPM singletapping as well), you can try switching to full alternate to compensate for the lack of speed. It takes a while to get used to it but it was worth it imo.

Then you can fill your top performance with no mod jump maps, because that's basically the only thing you can improve, and look cool.
Vraxxel
I think you'll be fine, i'm pretty sure any playstyle can work

(Or at least that's what I tell myself if I start to doubt it myself :3)
Karuta-_old_1

-[Koinuri] wrote:

Ring + index full alternate playstyle here, I'm probably the only person who plays like this
sorry to digress but what keys do you tap with?

It's the first time I've ever heard of this style (maybe I haven't watched enough osu!videos)

Ontopic: Bad habits are okay as long as you work to improve it, I have countless bad habits when I play osu!
GoldenWolf
One of my friend was using thumb + ring finger and did just fine playing insanes around 5*, even with long-ish streams
So anything goes if you're comfortable with
_koinuri
S and F
Ohrami

-[Koinuri] wrote:

I can one up you
Index+middle+ring+ tablet tap play style all single tapz
winber1
i mean that's cool and all that you guys can use your fingers well, but i personally play with my two buttocks
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

i mean that's cool and all that you guys can use your fingers well, but i personally play with my two buttocks
vid
cheezstik
I think doomsday uses index and ring, and he is one of the best streamers, so it should be fine. Middle + ring should be pretty similar.
Woobowiz

winber1 wrote:

That's not fair at all, that means if you can't stream 200 bpm with your cheeks, all you need is a few hours on the Stairmaster and BAM, you're Cookiezi.
winber1-senpai pls.
buny

-[Koinuri] wrote:

Since you seem to have similar problem as me (I'm still stuck at 190BPM stream and 210BPM singletapping as well), you can try switching to full alternate to compensate for the lack of speed. It takes a while to get used to it but it was worth it imo.

Then you can fill your top performance with no mod jump maps, because that's basically the only thing you can improve, and look cool.
you're not the first or the last or the second person to use that playstyle

and you're not the forth of fifth
_koinuri

buny wrote:

-[Koinuri] wrote:

you're not the first or the last or the second person to use that playstyle

and you're not the forth of fifth
I thought I made it obvious that my whole post was just joking around especially with the last sentence
Dexus
Do what is comfortable.

So if you can only stream 185bpm and you can't single tap at 210bpm... you should try streaming at 190bpm and single tapping at 195bpm? It's pretty vague to just say you can do these things when we can't tell what exactly your limits are and if you're even doing this stuff right in the first place. Also, the difference in speed from 185 to 210 is pretty marginal so don't get upset if you can't do it. It takes time to build speed and commonly doesn't just happen over night.
I Give Up
This is probably one of the most difficult ways to tap since ring/middle share the same tendon, it will be difficult to build stamina.

I have no problem using ring/index, but I certainly faced stamina issues when trying out ring/middle.
E m i

KukiMonster wrote:

This is probably one of the most difficult ways to tap since ring/middle share the same tendon, it will be difficult to build stamina.

I have no problem using ring/index, but I certainly faced stamina issues when trying out ring/middle.
They don't share tendons. But they don't have their own extensor muscles like the index finger and pinky do. Try to make a fist with your hand, and then fully extend your middle/ring finger. When you do it normally, neighboring fingers will have to extend too. If you do it and hold down all your other fingers, then you might feel pain in other fingers - it might be because you're simultaneously pulling on their tendons. The middle finger seems to, obviously, do a little better.
What does it prove? / what am I trying to prove?
That combined movement of the middle finger and ring finger is both physically and mentally difficult and might be detrimental to your streaming ability.
OP, you got out of your habit once - you can do it again. The decision is yours.
RaneFire
I take it no one noticed that the content of OP's post contradicts the title.

He states he used Index + Middle, then Index + Ring. But the topic title says Ring + Middle.

- To continue with the misunderstanding:

Ring+Middle is a terrible idea for reasons stated above. You can hardly lift your fingers properly due to the conflicting forces required for moving 1 or both of your fingers in separate directions. It's not impossible, but I think your accuracy and/or consistency will be terrible compared to just using a normal style of play.

- Back on track:

Index+Ring is fine, the only reason you would use middle in place of ring is because the middle finger is stronger. If you can make do with your ring finger then there should hardly be any difference, but usually it is quite a weak finger.
Topic Starter
naliem
Yeah, the title was mistaken, I've just corrected it.

Reading the answers I'll try for a few days middle + index, but I think that I'll stay with ring + index, it depends on what I'll se these days.

Thank you all for the answers :P
nrl
I used ring/index until yesterday. Middle/index seems way easier.
Vuelo Eluko

[ Momiji ] wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

They don't share tendons. But they don't have their own extensor muscles like the index finger and pinky do. Try to make a fist with your hand, and then fully extend your middle/ring finger. When you do it normally, neighboring fingers will have to extend too. If you do it and hold down all your other fingers, then you might feel pain in other fingers - it might be because you're simultaneously pulling on their tendons. The middle finger seems to, obviously, do a little better.
That combined movement of the middle finger and ring finger is both physically and mentally difficult and might be detrimental to your streaming ability.
OP, you got out of your habit once - you can do it again. The decision is yours.
as a pen spinner of several years, I can actually do this without holding my other fingers down, although doing it FULLY hurts a bit.
course, i practiced finger independence with exercises like that for hours every night for.. the better part of a year, consecutively?

point is, it's doable, but probably not necessary or worth it for osu.
-Atri-
I use middle and index finger, because they're most used finger
Kouya-
<--- Index and middle finger ~
Tuon
idk i'm using ring finger and index finger but i cant stream clearly at 175-180bpm :< only stream at 190-210bpm
I think i play 2 much speed :<
Mio Winter

Momiji wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

Oh, that's a really good post and point. Never thought about it that way. Use the fingers that have separate flexors/extensors (although the extonsors are less important). As far as I can tell index+ring works and index+middle works but the ring+middle have very connected flexors and extensors, so it's a bad playstyle.

I used to think index+ring was better because their muscles were less cramped for space (I couldn't use this playstyle because I use a nono keypad), but now I think index+middle may give a slight advantage because the middle finger is naturally stronger than the ring finger. I'm unsure.

Index+middle+ring for streams seems much better anyway, just bind the M1 key to one of the keyboard keys while playing osu!. Except don't use this if you want to compete fairly against everyone who plays index+middle. I might switch to 3-finger playstyle, not sure.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I never get tired in my flexors while streaming. I assume the flexors are way stronger than the extensors, so only training strength and stamina for the extensors matter.
E m i
i love when a 3 year necro starts with "idk"
well, 3 years minus 17 days.
Mio Winter

Momiji wrote:

i love when a 3 year necro starts with "idk"
well, 3 years minus 17 days.
lol didn't notice. I don't mind necroposts, though.

And you're still around!
E m i
I'M SO HAPPY TO STILL BE HERE and not ded

Mio Winter wrote:

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I never get tired in my flexors while streaming. I assume the flexors are way stronger than the extensors, so only training strength and stamina for the extensors matter.
also congrats on noticing the most secret thing in osu, the least known thing in osu. i think it was riince who first theorized that blacks are better for stamina because they shift the balance towards more flexion force required, less extension force required.
Mio Winter

Momiji wrote:

I'M SO HAPPY TO STILL BE HERE and not ded

Mio Winter wrote:

also congrats on noticing the most secret thing in osu, the least known thing in osu. i think it was riince who first theorized that blacks are better for stamina because they shift the balance towards more flexion force required, less extension force required.
Ooooo! That's an awesome theory. Can't possibly be right. I want to buy black switches just to test it. But I tested my tapping speed with Blue (50g actuation force) vs. Clear (35g actuation force) switches, and it was better with the clear ones. Also tested Blue vs. dome switches on my laptop, and dome switches won in terms of speed. I'm also assuming that tapping speed is directly related to stamina, so a measure of speed measures stamina just as well. But now I wonder why that is, because riince's hypothesis makes a lot of sense... Oo

Edit: The Blue switches I tested were tactile, not linear, meaning I had to lift my fingers up further than with the Clear linear or the dome switches. When I'm tapping my fastest, I don't lift my fingers up very much. I definitely want to try Black linear switches.

Edit2: And that isn't the most secret thing in osu!. The most secret thing in osu! is[ERROR 403]
show more