forum

Question About Streams

posted
Total Posts
show more
RaneFire
Not really. I've come across a few, but so rarely. Mostly shorter streams involve even numbers of notes (up to 16 notes). Typically I only see "8" used at most.

Anything longer than a "bar" (17 notes including start note and end note) will typically always end on your main finger, unless the mapper is trying to troll, in which case BAT's will sort him out and make him put an odd number of notes. There is no rhythmical reason to do this on long streams... at all.

Silent Spica - Anhedonia (apparently not too fun) and Beatmario maps are a good place to look though.
Angel-Nyan
Although, This is a bit off-topic if you do need help with streaming maps this topic is good p/691623. (Back on topic) I've never really seen any maps like that cause it would be off-beat and not really fit into a measure of a beat. So it wouldn't make sense. I hope I could help you. <3
Akali

RaneFire wrote:

Anything longer than a "bar" (17 notes including start note and end note) will typically always end on your main finger, unless the mapper is trying to troll, in which case BAT's will sort him out and make him put an odd number of notes. There is no rhythmical reason to do this on long streams... at all.
Unless you know

it's the actual rhythm of the song.
GoldenWolf
Anhedonia is tons of fun wtf

Why the hate for 18+ even streams ;_;
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Anhedonia is tons of fun wtf

Why the hate for 18+ even streams ;_;
because dey suck

on a serious note, I've never seen a long even stream. They are almost always 4-8
silmarilen
the longest one i know is on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/155933 which is like 12 notes or something
Zare
even streams usually only happen on 1/3 or 1/6 rhythms, unless the mapper did something horribly wrong
there are situations with even streams on 1/4 divisor like in anhedonia but that's pretty rare

in any case it's beneficial for your reading to learn to see how long a stream actually is and knowing the rhythmical reasoning behind it, that way you can control your fingers better to actually have them do what they're supposed to

edit: also, try to get rid of a "main finger", practice using both on diffeernt occasions, starting and ending streams with both etc, this helps a ton with complex rhythms as well as bad mapping (starting streams with sliderends, ugh)
Topic Starter
B1rd
well for some reason my fingers have forgotten how to stream. Just cost me a 150pp play. Yet If I try and practice streaming it's so goddamn boring I quit osu! after 5 minutes. sigh
RaneFire

B1rd wrote:

Yet If I try and practice streaming it's so goddamn boring I quit osu! after 5 minutes. sigh
Hehehe.

Try this:
Put on HD,FL,Autopilot. Close your eyes. Listen to the music and stream that long stream practice map.

Takes a decent amount of experience with rhythm, but basically you listen for the 4/4 timing and listen for key notes. Put all your focus into hearing. Time your starting finger to the key note (long white tick, usually audible), which repeats every 4 additional notes. Ensure that one is on time and just follow through.

I did this once and managed to get a 300 note SS on OD8 before falling asleep. Yeah. It's boring and not the best practice, but fun to try. To find out how well you did, F1 when you fail.

Of course one problem arose! I started to fall asleep on all subsequent deathstream practice and I had to take a break from that.
buny

silmarilen wrote:

the longest one i know is on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/155933 which is like 12 notes or something
they also tend to be very low bpm
chainpullz
Long streams tend to be building into something so normally they will be an even number of notes followed immediately by the note they were building towards (thus overall odd). Music tends to always be going somewhere and it's very abnormal to start or end with an "attack" on an offbeat. Since most of the songs that are mapped more or less have normal rhythms I would say ending on a different finger is uncommon.
Topic Starter
B1rd
I have another random question about streams: when you do slow streams, how hard do you bottom out and how far do you lift your fingers off the keys? and how does this differ when you do faster streams?
silmarilen
slow streams: press down completely and lift up fingers so they are off the keys
fast streams: press down completely and barely lift up, they are always touching the keys and sometimes my keys dont even go up completely

i use rubber dome if that's relevant aswell
Topic Starter
B1rd

silmarilen wrote:

slow streams: press down completely and lift up fingers so they are off the keys
fast streams: press down completely and barely lift up, they are always touching the keys and sometimes my keys dont even go up completely
I see, that's what I wanted to know. I've been frustrated recently because my fingers have pretty much stopped working. I went from being able to 97% FC Mephisto a week ago (bar one particularly annoying repeat slider near the end) to like an 85% pass today. And I'm due to play in a 2v2 against two 10K players in 45 hours.

silmarilen wrote:

i use rubber dome if that's relevant aswell
wait what :shock:
winber1
get a gf

they motivate you to stream faster
Vuelo Eluko
this is the longest stream I can reasonably pass with decent accuracy
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/67243
no idea how many notes it is, a lot. felt like a badass in multiplayer when everyone else failed but me.

its not that fast but if it was any faster id definitely lose my pacing and fail before it ends

Now, does it matter if a stream this long ends on the finger you start with? probably not. my fingers 'reset' like 3 times during a stream like that so it doesnt matter
RaneFire

B1rd wrote:

I have another random question about streams: when you do slow streams, how hard do you bottom out and how far do you lift your fingers off the keys? and how does this differ when you do faster streams?
Basically the main difference is the range of motion. You will move your fingers more distance on lower bpm's, yet less often, but less distance at higher, yet more often. Think of it like linear speed, as opposed to point A to point B (finger reset vs finger press). Well actually just practice, don't think of it like anything, it should come naturally. Just an example.
I Give Up

B1rd wrote:

Not a good idea to focus too much on technicalities. Next you'll be worrying about smooth vs printed keycaps. Really your main focus should be on rhythm. If you get a good sense of rhythm your accuracy just skyrockets.
cheezstik

KukiMonster wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Not a good idea to focus too much on technicalities. Next you'll be worrying about smooth vs printed keycaps. Really your main focus should be on rhythm. If you get a good sense of rhythm your accuracy just skyrockets.
Good message and shit, but there is a pretty big difference between what he asked and smooth vs printed keycaps. What he asked is actually to do with technique, not to do with gear, which I also believe is minimal impact when it comes to this.
I Give Up
^ That may be so but it is also dependent on what keyboard you are using (gear). On rubberdome I always lift my finger high and as fast as I can because it is a soft rubberdome keyboard and they depress slowly, but on mech I barely lift at all regardless of stream speed since the blacks are very springy anyway.
cheezstik

KukiMonster wrote:

^ That may be so but it is also dependent on what keyboard you are using (gear). On rubberdome I always lift my finger high and as fast as I can because it is a soft rubberdome keyboard and they depress slowly, but on mech I barely lift at all regardless of stream speed since the blacks are very springy anyway.
Yeah ofc, but still, technique has a much bigger impact than gear type, especially something as trivial as smooth vs printed keycaps anyway.
I Give Up
Yeah well sure. Gear vs technique is not even the crux of the matter but you are welcome to elaborate anyway.

Worrying about details that player shouldn't worry about, may cause player to lose sight of important ways to improve (such as following rhythm). Should never have to ask how high you should lift finger as that is a preference that can vary greatly from person to person. Any advice in that regard may even be damaging unless you know the person maybe.
Dexus
Looking at op and not the thread, sorry guys:

It depends on if the stream is odd or even numbered, aside from that it doesn't matter how long the stream is to determine what finger you stop with. People tend to map odd streams because they use at least a quarter rest note to give time to get to the next set of notes so you're not pressing quarter notes for the whole entire map on certain songs.

So again,
odd: you usually end on the same finger you start with
even: you end on the opposite finger you start with.

Some players use this fact to simply stream at a pace they know is right and don't worry about hearing exact sounds, instead they focus on the sound that signals the end.

Branching off from this statement: I would recommend you focus on every whole note within a stream to give you a sense of pacing, and then from there try to focus on every half note, eventually you can cut that down to focusing on every single note correctly. If you can't even focus on getting every whole note instead focus on what starts the stream and what stops it, and like I said subdivide your focus from there, generally though if you can't even focus or move fast enough to keep a consistent pace to hit even the whole notes it means you're clearly not fast enough and should move to something slightly slower paced.

Your goal should be making the stream sound nice, not worrying about if you're getting 300s or how many notes you have to hit.
Topic Starter
B1rd
so, when good streamers do odd streams, do they consciously make an effort to finish on the finger the started with? Or are the not conscious of what their fingers are doing and just do the stream instinctively?
dung eater
You've got to be conscious when you start practicing stuff you can't easily do. Things get pretty automatic when you do a lot of repetition. I don't see why even streams would be any differend, they are just rare so you don't get a lot of practice.

I started practicing streaming starting with my other finger, there's a clear difference in amount of thinking about what i'm doing compared to the other finger I've always used before. Less thinking needed when I've kept at it. Playing more helps.
silmarilen

B1rd wrote:

so, when good streamers do odd streams, do they consciously make an effort to finish on the finger the started with? Or are the not conscious of what their fingers are doing and just do the stream instinctively?
streams with an odd amount of notes come naturally, it's the even amount that i have to pay attention which finger i end on.

this is ofcourse, as jaaakb said, because of repitition. i've seen people who have to pay attention to end on the odd note, or even are almost unable to, because they learned streams the wrong way.
Vuelo Eluko
i never even noticed the difference between odd and even number of note streams until this thread
idonno maybe its because i full alternated for my first 8000 plays and some of that finger memory stuck
winber1
i know when i start a stream on my index finger, and i adjust accordingly, and i use middle finger to single tap fyi, but not much thought is needed to realize this.

i'm also decent at alternating so that may have to do with something as well
Kunino Sagiri
lol why would you even care about "odd" or "even" watchamacallit on any kind of stream AND the finger you have to finish with on any kind of stream?

Just tap it ffs; doesn't matter what finger you ended up on the last note :|
winber1

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

lol why would you even care about "odd" or "even" watchamacallit on any kind of stream AND the finger you have to finish with on any kind of stream?

Just tap it ffs; doesn't matter what finger you ended up on the last note :|
as much as i would like to shit post, i will actual say something legit:

you are strong like a toilet

for the record, it helps to know which finger to press the last note so that you don't over or understream, which is a main problem in songs with complex stream bursts.
Kunino Sagiri

winber1 wrote:

songs with complex stream bursts.
>stream
>complex

topjohj
winber1
it seems someone has not played enough to witness such instances
Kunino Sagiri

winber1 wrote:

it seems someone has not played enough to witness such instances
sir omega veteran pls show me a complex stream
winber1
osu tutorial

the only thing that comes to mind is nold's red goose map, but it's not really hard to read since the notes are placed very clearly. Still requires you to know how many notes to press, otherwise you end up losing the rhythm and missing notes

since im lazy as fuck im not going to try and find anything else
Kunino Sagiri
red goose ahaha
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
there people who dont stream by imagining the exact sound a stream at a given bpm makes, then reading the amount of notes and matching them to your fingers to deliver perfectly fluid streams of hits

lol
buny

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

red goose ahaha
show me the most impressive play you have please

judging from your rank and your top performances, I doubt you have any experience in anything above 2 stars