How to improve in Osu: The BOOSTER technique

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Sancteria

Riince wrote:

bold make good keep attention very nice upvoted

anyway ive been changing ar9's to ar8's for harder maps to dt since forever, and i can confirm its improved my mashing skills 300%

you can even combine this with the BOOSTER technique, but I didn´t write about DT stuff cause I am not a friend of it and also don´t have experience with DT :D

In general, the BOOSTER does work with anything which is currently to difficult for you to pass
Lach
This is so incredibly painful to read.
[-Cloud-]

Lach wrote:

I kinda thought the same.
Vuelo Eluko

Sancteria wrote:

Riince wrote:

bold make good keep attention very nice upvoted

anyway ive been changing ar9's to ar8's for harder maps to dt since forever, and i can confirm its improved my mashing skills 300%

you can even combine this with the BOOSTER technique, but I didn´t write about DT stuff cause I am not a friend of it and also don´t have experience with DT :D

In general, the BOOSTER does work with anything which is currently to difficult for you to pass
thanks! ive already boosted myself to 150% as skilled as i was 8 months ago!
Topic Starter
Sancteria

Lach wrote:

sure that´s why I said I didn´t make any preparation, otherwhise it would be smaller, more accuratly and with pictures, I am sorry that you even started to read my stuff
f i z i k
nah man I'm just gonna buy the osu!tablet and the osu!keyboard,sounds a lot better than this
Topic Starter
Sancteria

thanks! ive already boosted myself to 150% as skilled as i was 8 months ago!
I said it doesn´t work with stuff you can´t solve with min 65% in the begining xD
sayonara_sekai
65% really?
Topic Starter
Sancteria

phonics wrote:

65% really?
It also worked with THE ISLANDER for me, started with 60% 2 months ago and solved it last week with 99%
Insyni
I personally do something similar to this, but I usually focus on 75-90%. It seems like anything under 75% ends up being more spam than reading.
Topic Starter
Sancteria

Insyni wrote:

I personally do something similar to this, but I usually focus on 75-90%. It seems like anything under 75% ends up being more spam than reading.
exactly, you still need to have a focus even while failing a bit more circles than usually :P
chainpullz
I mean, if you want to run the risk of very bad habits and low accuracy which will eventually come back to bite you when you stop being able to just grab a harder song to get 95% on to get pp. Lets make a reasonable assumption. Lets say you can fc every map that "K i R i K a R u" who is ranked 100 at the moment of this post has in his top ranks but with only 95% accuracy. A 99% is worth about 95% of the pp as a 100% so a 95% is worth about 76% of the pp of a 99% play. 6400pp*76% = 4864. Now lets see where that puts you in terms of rank. Roughly 860. Now that's fine if you don't ever really care to be much better than that.

If you do want to be higher than that, then have fun ridding yourself of the bad habits developed from always rushing into harder difficulties before you mastered the previous level of difficulties. This is even being generous enough to assume you even make it up to this level of map difficulty before hitting a huge wall spawned from bad habits which is the more likely case.

Also, the problem with player A who has 20k plays and 500pp and player B who has 5k plays and 2k pp pretty never due to the fact that they spent time trying to master easier difficulties. In fact, playcount doesn't really say shit when we compare 2 players since who the fuck knows what player A's 20k plays consisted of. It could very easily be from restarting maps after 10 notes over and over again playing with perfect on (WoLoG). To list a few things these 20k play counts could consist of:
  1. Playing maps that are too difficult for the player over and over again expecting different results (perhaps some people take the difficulty name "insane" too literally...)
  2. Playing a small pool of maps over and over again seeking the desired 98%+ accuracy benchmark when in reality they should be playing an ever increasing pool of maps of this difficulty until they can consistently get 98%+ with minimal effort on maps of this diffculty
  3. Lots and lots of retries
  4. Shorter duration maps (Some people are bronies and other people really enjoy maps for their favorite anime OP/ED's)
In theory if you play more you will get better outside of some uninteresting degenerate cases that aren't worth talking about. Some of the ways you can play asymptotically approach the skill cap for this game and thus aren't practical (for example if you were to pick a 10 star map from day 1 and play it millions of times you would probably eventually hit the skill cap but that's not practical). The suggested methods tend to be the ones that develop the best habits and tend to have a smoother time derivative (ie. less walls/smaller walls).

If a player is looking to improve, we suggest what are considered to be the best ways to improve. If a player wants to have fun then why the fuck are they asking us how to improve? They should ask us "how do I have fun at this game?" But if they have to ask that question then why are they playing in the first place?
Topic Starter
Sancteria

chainpullz wrote:

I mean, if you want to run the risk of very bad habits and low accuracy which will eventually come back to bite you when you stop being able to just grab a harder song to get 95% on to get pp. Lets make a reasonable assumption. Lets say you can fc every map that "K i R i K a R u" who is ranked 100 at the moment of this post has in his top ranks but with only 95% accuracy. A 99% is worth about 95% of the pp as a 100% so a 95% is worth about 76% of the pp of a 99% play. 6400pp*76% = 4864. Now lets see where that puts you in terms of rank. Roughly 860. Now that's fine if you don't ever really care to be much better than that.

If you do want to be higher than that, then have fun ridding yourself of the bad habits developed from always rushing into harder difficulties before you mastered the previous level of difficulties. This is even being generous enough to assume you even make it up to this level of map difficulty before hitting a huge wall spawned from bad habits which is the more likely case.

Also, the problem with player A who has 20k plays and 500pp and player B who has 5k plays and 2k pp pretty never due to the fact that they spent time trying to master easier difficulties. In fact, playcount doesn't really say shit when we compare 2 players since who the fuck knows what player A's 20k plays consisted of. It could very easily be from restarting maps after 10 notes over and over again playing with perfect on (WoLoG). To list a few things these 20k play counts could consist of:
  1. Playing maps that are too difficult for the player over and over again expecting different results (perhaps some people take the difficulty name "insane" too literally...)
  2. Playing a small pool of maps over and over again seeking the desired 98%+ accuracy benchmark when in reality they should be playing an ever increasing pool of maps of this difficulty until they can consistently get 98%+ with minimal effort on maps of this diffculty
  3. Lots and lots of retries
  4. Shorter duration maps (Some people are bronies and other people really enjoy maps for their favorite anime OP/ED's)
In theory if you play more you will get better outside of some uninteresting degenerate cases that aren't worth talking about. Some of the ways you can play asymptotically approach the skill cap for this game and thus aren't practical (for example if you were to pick a 10 star map from day 1 and play it millions of times you would probably eventually hit the skill cap but that's not practical). The suggested methods tend to be the ones that develop the best habits and tend to have a smoother time derivative (ie. less walls/smaller walls).

If a player is looking to improve, we suggest what are considered to be the best ways to improve. If a player wants to have fun then why the fuck are they asking us how to improve? They should ask us "how do I have fun at this game?" But if they have to ask that question then why are they playing in the first place?

To be able to play in the top ranks, you need to be able to pass the top maps, you won´t reach the top maps if you keep playing your 99% solved maps and hope you will become better cause a fairy gave you the power for that. Means if you want more PP, you need to play maps which are more difficult, but you can wait till christmas if you keep focusing having a good Accuracy in your current maps. I am still using this technique and my accuracy is very good, since I play maps, which I play to get PP, till I got 99% or better, but I rather keep focusing aim, accuracy in these maps which I use to boost myself than in maps which offer ONLY a better accuracy, ofc, begin with slow stuff, build up accuracy, play faster stuff after that is the perfect way to go, but th BOOSTER technique is so much more effective till 5 star maps
nrl
I LUV IT TAEK MY MONY
chainpullz
Improved accuracy will spillover into every other skill in this game. You can't get good at other skills solely by improving your accuracy but those skills will be gained as you work to push the boundaries of maps that you can have this level of accuracy on. Many misaims come purely from moving at the wrong times. You can't have good accuracy without learning proper stream technique and finger control. Accuracy is highly dependent on reading. All of these skills required in difficult maps will be trained simply from training your accuracy with a varied map pool. Not only that, these skills will be trained properly without falling into bad habits like mashing.
Toadsworth
Why does reading this feel like a Billy Mays advert xD
RaneFire
Is there an English version available for download?
-sev

DatPenguinTho wrote:

Why does reading this feel like a Billy Mays advert xD
More like a Billy Mays ytp
nrl

chainpullz wrote:

Improved hand synchronization will spillover into every other skill in this game
The difference isn't insubstantial.
Bauxe

Sancteria wrote:

To be able to play in the top ranks, you need to be able to pass the top maps, you won´t reach the top maps if you keep playing your 99% solved maps and hope you will become better cause a fairy gave you the power for that. Means if you want more PP, you need to play maps which are more difficult, but you can wait till christmas if you keep focusing having a good Accuracy in your current maps. I am still using this technique and my accuracy is very good, since I play maps, which I play to get PP, till I got 99% or better, but I rather keep focusing aim, accuracy in these maps which I use to boost myself than in maps which offer ONLY a better accuracy, ofc, begin with slow stuff, build up accuracy, play faster stuff after that is the perfect way to go, but th BOOSTER technique is so much more effective till 5 star maps
You know what else you have to do to get into the top ranks?

Practice on maps where your accuracy isn't so low that you obviously spammed. Anything < 80%, maybe even 85% (with some exceptions), is more than likely just spamming.
Green Platinum
Reads like a fucking infomercial
byfar
what i used long before publication :)
dung eater
I will use this to boost myself, thank you.
-sev
Boosto!
deletemyaccount
*SPOILER ALERT*

Topic Starter
Sancteria
Guys, keep behaving like little kids, just as you do, I won´t defend my position anyways, some people might forget that no one forces them to read stuff or use any suggestions I´ve made.

I am still sorry if my written text is not up to your white-trash-slang, but I am quite sure that everyone could understand what I try to explain.

Besides, it doesn´t harm your accuracy if you keep the focus during the maps, that´s also why you can´t consider it spamming when you solve something with 80%, otherwhise my accuracy has to be crap as well, and it isn´t strangewhise.

Also, when I say keep playing your "what ever you called it, sherlocks"-folder it doesn´t mean you never ever can play maps again which you could FC and profit from them.
Saphirshroom

Sancteria wrote:

I am still sorry if my written text is not up to your white-trash-slang, but I am quite sure that everyone could understand what I try to explain.

Besides, it doesn´t harm your accuracy if you keep the focus during the maps, that´s also why you can´t consider it spamming when you solve something with 80%, otherwhise my accuracy has to be crap as well, and it isn´t strangewhise.
I believe most people found it difficult to read because it feels like every 2nd word of your text is written in bold font.

That aside, 80% is mashing. Just because your accuracy doesn't get worse (and it will at some point, unless you play your booster maps until you get like 98.5% on them) it doesn't mean that this applies to everyone. There is no osu recipe. I just want to point out that your opinion seems to contradict like 95% of what people who are actually good at osu say.
Topic Starter
Sancteria
Underlining stuff shall not make it more difficult, and this methode does work, cause most people are using it and it´s also known that you need to go to your limits to improve, I can´t understand people who say 80% solving means almost only spamming stuff o.O
Dexus
it makes fun. fun. victory. more fun. FUN. not so much fun. "how to make the next step". "how to improve". "I struggle with triplets". squares etc. "How to become better". Certain training. Day by day to become better. "play more". "play more". So much fun. Victory. Try the harder maps. "not having so much fun anymore". Without nasty TV size or DT farming. you can do as well. To improve yourself. The feeling of victory again. Not to rize your rank. Automatically get more PP. Use effectively. The BOOSTER technique.
Have fun. They improved theirselves. Nearly.
Fun. Your limits, map by map. More Fun. The basic. Move forward. Reach the next level. Play the next level. Much too difficult maps. Our limits. automatically. All. no better way. to our limits. FUN. WILL. More. Fun.
The interesting part. We need. More Difficult. Not great. 65%-90%. Create a folder ingame. NoFail mod. Do sound well. 65% and 90%. "BOOSTER". Gather min. 30. Turn on the NoFail-mod. ONLY. Would destroy the process. Solve them with 95%. Can be stressfull in the begining. More difficult maps do make more fun.
You still can make it more effectively. Modifie the maps. Select a map out of your BOOSTER folder. Data and save as new difficulty. Go to map settings. Better accuracy. Circle Size. Reading Skills. Approach Circle. Only 1 thing higher. Aim. Circle Size. ALL. Will shut down.
Technique. You need to have fun. Possible Goals. Don't play if you don't actually like to play.

Problem solved.
uzzi

Dexus wrote:

rize
Twitch
chainpullz

Dexus wrote:

it makes fun. fun. victory. more fun. FUN. not so much fun. "how to make the next step". "how to improve". "I struggle with triplets". squares etc. "How to become better". Certain training. Day by day to become better. "play more". "play more". So much fun. Victory. Try the harder maps. "not having so much fun anymore". Without nasty TV size or DT farming. you can do as well. To improve yourself. The feeling of victory again. Not to rize your rank. Automatically get more PP. Use effectively. The BOOSTER technique.
Fun. Your limits, map by map. More Fun. The basic. Move forward. Reach the next level. Play the next level. Much too difficult maps. Our limits. automatically. All. no better way. to our limits. FUN. WILL. More. Fun.
The interesting part. We need. More Difficult. Not great. 65%-90%. Create a folder ingame. NoFail mod. Do sound well. 65% and 90%. "BOOSTER". Gather min. 30. Turn on the NoFail-mod. ONLY. Would destroy the process. Solve them with 95%. Can be stressfull in the begining. More difficult maps do make more fun.
You still can make it more effectively. Modifie the maps. Select a map out of your BOOSTER folder. Data and save as new difficulty. Go to map settings. Better accuracy. Circle Size. Reading Skills. Approach Circle. Only 1 thing higher. Aim. Circle Size. ALL. Will shut down.
Technique. You need to have fun. Possible Goals. Don't play if you don't actually like to play.

Problem solved.
Kawaii
-sev

Dexus wrote:

SPOILER

Problem solved.
I can't help but imagine how this would sound with a Salarian voice.
buny
no offense but guides like these aren't credible when the person who writes them is in the 5 digits

Dexus wrote:

Problem solved.
fixed
Kerav
So rising the ar will improve my reading-ability. Quite interesting.
Also I didnt know that accuracy is related to the cs.

Also ONLY playing maps that you pass with ~80% acc will leave your accuracy at a state that is equal to mine: Utterly shit.
Not to mention that you wont have any consistency if you do it like that. Practicing maps that you can fc on a regular basis is also pretty important.

Also I advise you to reformat your text, a proper strucute in your sentences would also be quite nice. I know that it is still more or less understandable what you write, but it is still a pain in the ass to read.
buny
I'd also like to add that if you're getting 65%, you're not playing the game

you're just randomly clicking dots on your screen
nrl
good job
Nakano Itsuki
I am trying to get into DT these days, but even ar8 DT seems to hard for me...
Time to try out something like NFDT.
-sev

Kyle McShade wrote:

I am trying to get into DT these days, but even ar8 DT seems to hard for me...
Now why you would even consider playing DT at your rank, I don't know.
Athrun
Well, I used to play 3-4 starred maps now I'm doing 4-5 stars. And I'm improving.

Still can't FC MuryokuP- Catastrophe..
B1rd

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

Well, I used to play 3-4 starred maps now I'm doing 4-5 stars. And I'm improving.

Still can't FC MuryokuP- Catastrophe..
you actually have some good reading plays. But obviously 200bpm is out of your league. If you want to get better at streams I recommend 120-140 bpm AR8 insanes. Also I recommend you get a tablet.
show more