forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Mappool Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loctav

Mappools @ Wiki | Livestream

Welcome to the osu! World Cup 2014 Mappool discussion thread.
Here you can discuss everything related to the mappols within the biggest worldwide osu! tournament.

Please address your criticism and suggestions for further mappools to ToGlette and GladiOol here. Whenever a new mappool is released, I will post a notification here.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Mappool for Group Stage has been released. Mappack is on its way.
AmaiHachimitsu
The maps seem appropriate for the current level of competition (without many top players)

But I don't think it was the way to go.

No opinion about the quality whatsoever.
Cherry Blossom
This mappool looks cool, there are various mapping styles and it could be nice for strategists.
Lapis-
That Red like Roses map is terrible :l
Ace3DF
Maps look a lot easier to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the players SS'd (or 1 100x off)
GladiOol

Ace3DF wrote:

Maps look a lot easier to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the players SS'd (or 1 100x off)
It's mainly due to a different approach. Last year the focus was more on consistency whereas we try to put more focus on the difficulty curve. Maps get harder as the stages progress. That's our goal.
darkmiz
just a suggestion, why not add HD+HR and HD+DT? or at least allow HD for HR and DT
blahpy
Hmm, I like the idea of starting out with easier maps and the difficulty progressing with the tournament! Looks like a nice selection of maps.

PortalLife wrote:

That Red like Roses map is terrible :l
It's definitely challenging to read, but I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing.
cr1mmy
Same maps again from previous OWC mappools. Why not to make totally new mappool? :P
Nwolf
Maps from previous map pools have always been repicked (except the first world cups k) so why not
LoGo
Yep, compared to the last year, these maps look way more easier and theoretically players should have been progressed and become better... How many thousand of maps there are, i think that's one of the main reasons why it's kinda weird to see same maps in the mappool. Well, accuracy wars here they come.
GladiOol

LoGo wrote:

Yep, compared to the last year, these maps look way more easier and theoretically players should have been progressed and become better... How many thousand of maps there are, i think that's one of the main reasons why it's kinda weird to see same maps in the mappool. Well, accuracy wars here they come.
Good maps are good. It's that simple. That's why they get used.
darkmiz
There is a serious problem with this mappool: lack of approach rate variety.
All maps are AR9 , all DT maps are all AR8.
this year osu! introduced the new feature, and we have all sort of cool AR9.2, AR9.3, AR9.5 maps
and I would like to see some AR9 DT maps.
Kert

darkmiz wrote:

AR7 please

I don't see any problem with easier maps. OWC atmosphere kills your play stability anyway
So yeah go try FC during a match if you think it's easy

About mappool: Please don't use already used maps, there are plenty of others
This was mentioned the previous year and nothing changes : (
GladiOol

darkmiz wrote:

There is a serious problem with this mappool: lack of approach rate variety.
All maps are AR9 , all DT maps are all AR8.
this year osu! introduced the new feature, and we have all sort of cool AR9.2, AR9.3, AR9.5 maps
and I would like to see some AR9 DT maps.
AR9 DT is not something you will ever find in the first stages of this tournament. Later on, who knows.
GladiOol

Kert wrote:

darkmiz wrote:

AR7 please

I don't see any problem with easier maps. OWC atmosphere kills your play stability anyway
So yeah go try FC during a match if you think it's easy

About mappool: Please don't use already used maps, there are plenty of others
This was mentioned the previous year and nothing changes : (
Good maps are good. I've played nearly every single map ranked in 2014 I'd consider viable in terms of difficulty for the group stages and this is what I found. The amount of TV Size maps is shocking really. I cannot use those maps. Anything that's below 2 minutes in length is no-go for me by definition. I prefer maps to be over 3 minutes or have over 1000 combo.
D D D
CrAzY mApS dUdEs ~ ~ ~
CXu

GladiOol wrote:

Good maps are good. I've played nearly every single map ranked in 2014 I'd consider viable in terms of difficulty for the group stages and this is what I found. The amount of TV Size maps is shocking really. I cannot use those maps. Anything that's below 2 minutes in length is no-go for me by definition. I prefer maps to be over 3 minutes or have over 1000 combo.
TV Saizu + HT pls
Kert

GladiOol wrote:

I've played nearly every single map ranked in 2014 I'd consider viable in terms of difficulty for the group stages and this is what I found ...
Hmm.. Is there a problem with choosing older maps? Obviously not too old because the audience will be angry
I am sure there are maps that provide adequate difficulty even to this time
Bauxe
I feel the HD picks are a fair bit harder than the rest of the mappool, and the DT picks seem a fair bit easier than the rest.

Maybe just me, seems like a decent introductory map pool.
Lust

Kert wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

I've played nearly every single map ranked in 2014 I'd consider viable in terms of difficulty for the group stages and this is what I found ...
Hmm.. Is there a problem with choosing older maps? Obviously not too old because the audience will be angry
I am sure there are maps that provide adequate difficulty even to this time
As a viewer I would prefer to see the best maps from this year showcased as this is a tournament for 2014. I would also not mind seeing maps that have been historically proven to be good (maps from years past). I sorta use the owc to find maps that are fun to play and I am sure many others do the same.

Of course you are right that there are older maps that provide adequate difficulty and quality, however seeing the best of 2013/14 is more suited for this competition imo since most of the best players of 2013/14 are participating.
cptnXn
overall level has risen so much

mappool level has crashed into nothingness

i dont even wanna look at the DT maps

is this some kind of joke?
Pizzicato
it's nice to see my faves on the pool \:D/

also i should ask
can we have the maps compressed into 1 pack
Te Amo
i can S all these songs, *wonders why im not in the OWC*
Nice mappool?
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
please choose some songs from love live! next time w
Holorin

cptnXn wrote:

As an average player, I gotta say that the mappool is fairly easy for the participants. I myself can't fc those maps, but it would be a piece of cake for 10k rank, not to mention all the pros in the competition
GladiOol
It seems like a lot of you are not understanding the thought process behind this years map list, so allow me to elaborate.

The maps this year will indeed start of easier. I know all of you are now cookiezi level like cptnxn who is not afraid to show us his constructive criticism on this part, but that is beside the point. There's a banning phase this year. Both teams are allowed to ban two maps before the actual match commences. This is to highly increase tactical asset of this tournament. That is also why the current map list is easier compared to last years group stage. Analyze your opponents. Know their weaknesses and exploit them. Win through tactical insight instead of pure raw skill. Upsets are what make the tournament fun. Seeing the underdog beating the 'big boss' because of making the right picks is what makes the tournament fun and exciting. That is why it starts of easier. But let me reassure you, it will also end harder than it did last year.
cptnXn

GladiOol wrote:

It seems like a lot of you are not understanding the thought process behind this years map list, so allow me to elaborate.

The maps this year will indeed start of easier. I know all of you are now cookiezi level like cptnxn who is not afraid to show us his constructive criticism on this part, but that is beside the point. There's a banning phase this year. Both teams are allowed to ban two maps before the actual match commences. This is to highly increase tactical asset of this tournament. That is also why the current map list is easier compared to last years group stage. Analyze your opponents. Know their weaknesses and exploit them. Win through tactical insight instead of pure raw skill. Upsets are what make the tournament fun. Seeing the underdog beating the 'big boss' because of making the right picks is what makes the tournament fun and exciting. That is why it starts of easier. But let me reassure you, it will also end harder than it did last year.
how am i supposed to exploit their weakness if the DT maps are so easy, that it doesn't even count as a real DT map
DeletedUser_613592

cptnXn wrote:

i can be a DT player with those maps, shhhh
-Ephemeral-

GladiOol wrote:

Upsets are what make the tournament fun. Seeing the underdog beating the 'big boss' because of making the right picks is what makes the tournament fun and exciting. That is why it starts of easier. But let me reassure you, it will also end harder than it did last year.
Cut him some slack, caramel heaven was in finals last year :P

Plus what fun is it to watch one team get 4 FCs whilst the other team barely scrapes by?
show more