forum

[o!m] Quick Q&A and General o!m Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pinecone
urgh, drace's comment makes me want to say RIP mania again.
Bobbias
Guys, don't derail this thread. it's one of the few thread here worth keeping.
onehundred1

krimen wrote:

Why D:
You have 87 200s.
krimen
But I have -17 bads and +23 200s plus almost double the combo, I was expeting a much higher score from that.

This is not a single case, my best plays have a lot of rainbows and bads while the ones with more 200s ( and less bads) get a lower score.

I used to purposely miss some notes for the sake of the sync, now that I'm trying to get better combos ( more 200s, less bads and rainbows) I can't beat my 3 or 4 months old records :S

i'm not complaining I just want to better understand how this score system works.

Sorry for my bad English
CephiCC

krimen wrote:

But I have -17 bads and +23 200s plus almost double the combo, I was expeting a much higher score from that.

This is not a single case, my best plays have a lot of rainbows and bads while the ones with more 200s ( and less bads) get a lower score.

I used to purposely miss some notes for the sake of the sync, now that I'm trying to get better combos ( more 200s, less bads and rainbows) I can't beat my 3 or 4 months old records :S

i'm not complaining I just want to better understand how this score system works.

Sorry for my bad English
300's are really all that matter. The score system is less of 'hit every note no matter how poorly you did it' and more of 'hit fewer notes better no matter how many you miss'. (of course don't screw up the song though)

If you think about it, you'd need 3 200 hits to equal just 2 300 hits. Making sense? :P

onehundred1 wrote:

WDoo wrote:

If I switch from 4k to 7k is it normal for it to feel like being totally new again?
Of course it's normal. You have more keys to press especially that annoying middle key that you've never experienced before.
Oh and also, it's harder to go from the lower keys up. But I really enjoyed playing 4k so I played that one more. I'm now intermediate at 7k and can blow past anything 5k. 4k to 5k is hard unless you have 7k experience prior to playing 5k. It's all about that damn special key in the middle that throws off the reading
Bobbias
As someone who started on 4k and then moved to 7k (before mania mind you, i played stepmania for years, then o2jam), I actually still have a lot of difficulty with 6k primarily because it doesn't have a middle key.
ikzune
i havent actually found 6k that much harder when only learning 7k now, my 4k has gone rip :< so i have to fix that later and it will take awhile however my current questions are relate to the following

my 7k is at the point of getting b and maybe the rare a on bms lv 00, i have a lack of songs in that area and generally have been sticking to o2jam which i can b rank some lv 25-30, im more specifically now trying to work on bms because i randomly want to leave long notes till later for no- w

- is there a way to convert 7k maps with the ingame converter that dont use scratch? as in getting 7k maps from lr2 rather then 8k or 6k
- are there more level 00 songs around or equivalent to level 00 bms (not just azure box level) that will help me have a wider variety of songs to practise besides just the datsveey, doorknob converts
- bonus question owo any general tips on 7k streams and double stairs? my streams in 4k are fine so idk why im learning them so slowly ._.

also i might aswell put this hear early gz on 1k posts bobbias owo

edit* i have some sv songs but i need more to practise one day, any on the side that people have? c:
Bobbias
The level 25-30 range is roughly where I was when I started playing mania (thanks to my earlier experience). Unfortunately, above level 30 the difficulty tends to jump up quite a bit making it really hard to break past that range. I spent probably 3-5 years in that skill level :<

I'm not sure how davteezy/doorknob actually converted the BMSs to 7k maps, and I don't know anywhere else to find similar level BMS converts or anything :/

Double stairs are one of those things that I always had trouble with... until one day it just clicked. For streams, just keep playing. It might sound like a lot right now, but 6k plays still isn't all that many (yes, I realize I have less than 2k total plays over mania's entire lifetime... blame that on not counting unranked plays).
ikzune
yes i know, my playcount was mostly formed due to how many autoconverts i played anyway
thank you for the information :>
FGSky
autoconverts are so easy peacy

except identity part 4 insane
ikzune
well my point is i was playing autoconverts till i could rank s shining wizard insane and maps around that level in 4k, it was too long but i was just always scared to make the move till a few months ago
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Is there anywhere I can find a converter to convert BMS songs to osu! while keeping the keysounds and stuff ?
ikzune
yesterday was wierd i managed to get so relaxed playing osumania and then passed banging burst 16 while my internet was offline -.-, i find it difficult to enter that much of a relaxed state cause normally im playing and trying to push myself to play faster when the better option is to relax as we all would know by now, any advice?

also for 6k songs as tear told me when i said i was going to look into the bms 6k songs for more of them however i was told it was 5k+1, are there any good places for (6k) songs since they are fun to play more so around the 4 star range so i can relax and 6 star range to push myself
Tidek
You can find a lot of good 6k charts in stepmania. I dont know whether there is another similar game with clean 6k gameplay (not 5k+1)
Bobbias
http://stepmaniaonline.net/index.php?page=downloads

Check all the Solo packs here for stepmania 6k stuff.
Anti Fun
I'm looking for quite easy, streamy 4k beatmaps. Any ideas?
AltR
So did they remove the option to change osu!mania speed now??

Patch notes say Ctrl and +/- don't work anymore but it doesn't say what they changed it to
F3 and F4 don't work either, and someone told me it was arrow keys now, which also doesn't work

What the hell?
Dreamgate
Is it a "bad" thing to not be able to play 7k?
I used to play only 4k, tried sometimes 7k but I failed (obviously).
Tidek

Mustang1x1 wrote:

I'm looking for quite easy, streamy 4k beatmaps. Any ideas?
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/87671
Bobbias

[timefrozen] wrote:

Is it a "bad" thing to not be able to play 7k?
I used to play only 4k, tried sometimes 7k but I failed (obviously).
It's not bad, but I would say I think you're missing out. It can take a while to learn to play 7k, but if you keep practicing you'll improve eventually. Took me probably 6 months or more to pass something like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/434557&m=3 (When I was learning o2jam, coming from playing stepmania for years. this was before osumania existed)

AltR wrote:

Patch notes say Ctrl and +/- don't work anymore but it doesn't say what they changed it to
F3 and F4 don't work either, and someone told me it was arrow keys now, which also doesn't work

What the hell?
Go to the key bindings in options. You can check what they're set to. By default they are supposed to be F3 and F4. If you're on a laptop you might need to hold a function key (usually labeled 'Fn') in order to get it to work.
lemonguy

AltR wrote:

What the hell?
I noticed the same thing, and it's pretty irritating.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Ctrl + whatever key you set in the keybinds.
puxtu
ded
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Can I cry ?

spy
very explanation
many points out
much details
wow
B1rd
when I play 8K should I use my pinkies or thumbs?
Drace
Try em and chose for yourself what you like best, there's all kinds of people playing in all kinds of ways out there. They all have pros AND cons and it's not really possible to determine with certainty if one rules them all. All in all, it's just what you end up finding more comfortable.

ex: Did you know ABCD plays 4k with 3 fingers on 1 hand and only 1 finger on the other?
This one 8k top ranker actually plays on a ps3 controller
This one guy pulls off ET-tier 8k plays the majority of people here could only dream to pull off.... with 1 hand.

Really the list would go on for pages so I just listed a couple peculiar ones that stands out. All this is just to say it's up to you to find what style you like best :p
Bobbias
Yeah, instead of just asking people, try every different way you can imagine and see for yourself which works best. Don't just spend a day or something playing each way though, spend a week or even a month playing each different style, long enough to get completely used to it. If nothing else it'll be an interesting experiment, and you might actually improve a fair bit in the process.